Sanderson Stormlight

95,307 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm all caught up. Rereading for clues now.

Spoilers for my speculation

I think the first arc will be primarily the end of focusing on Roshar. The second one starts focusing on the Cosmere as a whole, with much more worldhopping. Haven't decided if they make Odiom the big bad for the entire series or if another force comes in. After reading the last Wax and Wayne Nobel, I wonder if it's Odiom that is behind the Red Mist that is surrounding the planet.
KALALL
AG
Are y'all reading the chapters on TOR as they're being released? The last one was pretty cool.
maverick2076
No. I want to read Dawnshard first, and wait until the whole book is out.
PatAg
AG
kaleb_allison said:

Are y'all reading the chapters on TOR as they're being released? The last one was pretty cool.
I'm avoiding the chapters, I'd rather read it all in one go.
Lathspell
AG
No. I like to read them all at once. I also agree with maverick; I want to read Dawnshard first.

I was one of the first batch of WoK signed leatherbound copies. Just waiting on the digital version to be released. The update said the physical version may not go out until January.
maverick2076
I was too. I did get my Bridge 4 poster a couple weeks ago.
Madmarttigan
AG
Slowly poking my way through my re read. Had to pause for Battleground release.

So much of the first book is me wanting to skip through young kaladin and shallan parts to get back to adult kaladin and bridge 4. I just love those parts of the story so much.
Madmarttigan
AG
I hope they don't go world hopping too much, because I really haven't dived deeply into the cosmere connections and don't want to be lost.
heddleston
AG
Just read the Dawnshard update from the other day...

Quote:

Right now, the story sits at 57k wordswhich is almost double what I was planning it to be. I guess that's what happens when The Lopen gets viewpoints in a book.
Hudson2508
AG
So if I procrastinated and didn't order the leather bound TWOK, am I **** out of luck for reading Dawnshard before ROW comes out?
maverick2076
No, it should be available electronically before RoW.
Lathspell
AG
I'm pretty sure you were still able to order individually from the Kickstarter. I'm sure they'll make it available in ebook form.
heddleston
AG
sounds like backers get dibs on it and then it will be released more widely after a few days.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Apparently he was reaching out to paraplegics to read the draft so he could get some perspective on Rysn's character so it is more believable. Kind of cool.
Madmarttigan
AG
Finished WoK reread, I guess this is the 3rd or 4th time.

Never going to make it through the rest before release, but journey before destination, amirite?
Chase McGuire
Life before death, Radiant.
Chase McGuire
The end of Oathbringer is badass. Best sequence in the series so far. So excited for RoW and the many re-reads of it in the future.
heddleston
AG
DAWNSHAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!!!!!!!!

My dude Yalb is still kicking it!
KALALL
AG
I missed the kickstarter. I would be eternally grateful to any ag who could send me the Dawnshard ebook. I promise to buy it once it's released so Brandon doesn't lose out on the purchase.
Chase McGuire
Also missed the kickstarter. Sounds like it'll be out as an e-book to the general public within a matter of days.
KALALL
AG
On the 17th Shard there was talk that it might not be out for nonbackers until after Rythm of War. I really want to read it prior to reading RoW.
heddleston
AG
Sanderson's last update on the Kickstarter made it sound like it would be in e-book stores Monday-ish. No print editions for a year maybe
Chase McGuire
bearamedic99
AG
I just couldn't justify that price for the leather bound kickstarter versions, as awesome as they are
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bearamedic99 said:

I just couldn't justify that price for the leather bound kickstarter versions, as awesome as they are

How much were they going for?

Also, I'm seeing ROW preorder up on Audible, anybody have an idea on when Dawnshard will be put up as well?
Chase McGuire
They don't expect Dawnshard to have an audio version for about a full year from what I've read.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Chase McGuire said:

They don't expect Dawnshard to have an audio version for about a full year from what I've read.

Lathspell
AG
Umm... maybe it will be explained later, but I'm completely confused. At the end of Oathbringer, a particular person was named the monarch of the Alethi people. In the early chapters of Dawnshard, it says Rysn is going to Queen "Navani", because she is the new monarch of the Alethi. Continuity error?
heddleston
AG
I can't remember if they ever went through with it at the end of Oathbringer, but the plan before Kholonar went to crap was Dalinar would become king/emperor of Uruthiru. If Navani is queen of Uruthiru then I'm assuming that means they ent through with that plan. At the end of Oathbringer Jasnah is made queen of Alethkar. So two separate places with Kholins running them
Lathspell
AG
Ahh... that makes complete sense, now. In fact, I am on page 78 and it mentions Queen Jasnah. You are right. King and Queen of Urithiru and Queen of Alethkar.
Lathspell
AG
Finished.

Fun little novella with what seems to include a lot of very important things to the Stormlight Archive and the Cosmere as a whole.

It will be interesting to see whether Rhythm of War takes place after these events, before, or during. A lot of passing information about other radiants and such that we haven't seen, yet. I would think this novella is much more important of a read than Edgedancer was.

Dawnshard Spoilers

Will be interesting to see how involved Rysn is in the rest of this first arc and into the second arc. There seemed to be hints that the Dawnshard has improved her to one of the heightenings. Somewhat equivalent to the very potent breaths that a Returned has in Warbreaker. Is it enough to make her immortal?

Hopefully we get some POVs from Rysn in the coming books where we learn more about the Dawnshards. It is curious that we know humans used Dawnshards to destroy Ashyn, but yet Rysn was told she didn't have the capability to use the Dawnshard.

I'm also curious as to whether Wit is after a Dawnshard or not. He seemed to be fairly chummy with a Dysian Aimian at the end of Words of Radiance. I would imagine they would be at greater odds if he were after a Dawnshard.
Chase McGuire
I have nothing to contribute other than that I am very jealous.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Soooo good! So many implications.
maverick2076
I finished Larry Correia's Destroyer of Worlds last night, so I can start Dawnshard today.
AgLaw
AG
I've read Danwshard takes place between Oathbringer and RoW, but you don't have to read Dawnshard before RoW.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.