Sanderson Stormlight

95,287 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
AgLaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

I've read all 3 just once a piece...I think Oathbringer may be my favorite. Hard to say though.
Wow... you definitely need to reread. You catch so much more you never did the first time. Especially in the Sanderlanch at the end of Oathbringer. So freaking much happens.

I'm in the middle of my second read, and I look up nearly every character and every reference on the Stormlight Archive Wiki as they appear or as I have questions. It's giving me a significantly deeper dive into the story.
hunter2012
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Up to date on Wax and Wayne. The whole Mistborn world is awesome, but you can really see the advancements in his writing in the second arch. Just wish they were longer!

Starting on TWOK now. Wasn't able to buy Secret History on Audible, but plan to read it later.
From what I understand the only way to get it on audible is to get Arcanum Unbound. It's worth it though for that, Edgedancer, and the Emperor's Soul.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
hunter2012 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Up to date on Wax and Wayne. The whole Mistborn world is awesome, but you can really see the advancements in his writing in the second arch. Just wish they were longer!

Starting on TWOK now. Wasn't able to buy Secret History on Audible, but plan to read it later.
From what I understand the only way to get it on audible is to get Arcanum Unbound. It's worth it though for that, Edgedancer, and the Emperor's Soul.

Oh thanks!
hunter2012
AG
Champ Bailey said:

hunter2012 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Oh thanks!
Sure thing, it's somewhat infuriating that they don't include a proper table of contents for arcanum unbound but I found this on the internet and it helped me navigate to which story I wanted.

Quote:

Chapter 1: Preface 0:00:00
Chapter 2: The Selish System
  • Chapters 3-19: The Emperor's Soul 0:09:05
  • Chapters 20-21: The Hope of Elantris 4:06:57
Chapter 22: The Scadrian System
  • Chapters 23-24: The Eleventh Metal 4:59:33
  • Chapters 25-26: Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania, Episodes Twenty-Eight Through Thirty 5:46:15
  • Chapters 27-53: Mistborn: Secret History 6:34:16
Chapter 54: The Taldain System
  • Chapters 55-57: White Sand (Excerpt) 12:06:35
Chapter 58: The Threnodite System
  • Chapters 59-62: Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell 13:06:08
Chapter 63: The Drominad System
  • Chapters 64-66: Sixth of the Dusk 15:18:11
Chapter 67: The Rosharan System
  • Chapters 68-88: Edgedancer 17:25:46
The book ends at 22:31:37

BryanAggie2013
AG
Just finished the first Mistborn Trilogy, what an ending! I really enjoyed all 3 books.

So for the Cosmere, I've read:

All 3 Stormlight + Edgedancer
First 3 Mistborn + The 11th Metal (currently finishing)
Shadows for Silence

Based on the graphic shared somewhere in this thread, I think I am going to go:

Warbringer
Elantris & Emperor's Soul
The Hope of Elantris
Second 3 Mistborn
Allomancer Jak & Secret History
White Sand (At least what is in Arc. Unbounded)
Sixth of Dusk & Anything else in Arc. Unbounded I missed

I would imagine by the time I've finished these, Rhythm of War will be here. If not, I will probably start a re-read of the first 3 Stormlight.

Does anyone think I need to swap any of these for a better experience working my way through the Cosmere?
Chase McGuire
I think this order is fine. I would re-read Stormlight sometime after Warbreaker if you can. They are the most interconnected so far, imo, so you'll catch a lot of things you missed the first time.
Lathspell
AG
I agree that the order looks good. I also believe a reread for SA would be good unless you recently read them. If you have recently read them, it is still fun to reread after Warbreaker. You start to catch little things here and there. Especially surrounding a few characters.
Chase McGuire
BryanAggie2013
AG
That's a big ol' book. And I cannot wait for it!
Lathspell
AG
Can't wait to inhale it in a few days. I will be taking a mini vacation to read the book.
AgHawkeye
AG
Not Cosmere related but Sanderson just released a 'short story' titled The Original with Mary Robinette Kowal. Anybody checked it out?? No fanfare at all. It didn't even make the BrandonSanderson.com website.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Does this guy write in his sleep?!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just finished WoR. Holy hell that ending!

Starting on Oathbreaker now.
Chase McGuire
I so wish I could read these books again for the first time. Can't wait for that feeling again with RoW.
maverick2076
I'm finally reading Wax and Wayne. I wish I hadn't waited so long. I'm really enjoying the way they play off each other.

I normally don't associate characters from a book with those from a different book or movie, but for me, Wayne has absolutely become Jake (Kevin Costner) from Silverado.
Thunder18
AG
maverick2076 said:

I'm finally reading Wax and Wayne. I wish I hadn't waited so long. I'm really enjoying the way they play off each other.

I normally don't associate characters from a book with those from a different book or movie, but for me, Wayne has absolutely become Jake (Kevin Costner) from Silverado.

Wax and Wayne was much more enjoyable to read than the Mistborn trilogy IMO. Agree with your assessment of Wayne, that's a great comparison
heddleston
AG
Wax and Wayne arent the best Cosmere books, but they are undoubtedly the most fun. Can't wait to see their story wrapped up next year. I'm about 60% thru WoK, still on track to finish my re-read before RoW comes out.
boboguitar
AG
heddleston said:

Wax and Wayne arent the best Cosmere books, but they are undoubtedly the most fun. Can't wait to see their story wrapped up next year. I'm about 60% thru WoK, still on track to finish my re-read before RoW comes out.
The best dialogue he's ever written.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I love that series. Very funny. I think it would make a great tv show
CapCityAg89
AG
W.C. Griffin '09 said:

I love that series. Very funny. I think it would make a great tv show
I could not agree with this more. Either as a literal adaption (one 10 episode Netfix season per book) or even as a "based on" series. The magic system really stands on its own and is fun (and easy to do on video).
CapCityAg89
AG
PLUS, like most of Sanderson, it would very easily be YA or maybe TV14 with the action/violence. Either way, I could actually watch it with my kids. There are almost none of these on now that are any good.
Lathspell
AG
I agree Wax and Wayne is better than the Mistbon trilogy as a whole, though I think the Final Empire is still the best of all those books.

Cannot wait for the last book, but Sanderson said the next Skyward books will be written first, since that publisher has been waiting and he uses the same publisher for Wax and Wayne as he does for Stormlight.

As for Oathbringer, all I can say is, do not speed read through the end of the book. There is a lot that happens you will miss. He doesn't overtly tell you things, but you see hints of things and can make some educated guesses as to reveals that haven't quite been made, yet. Did you read Warbreaker before WoR? That reveal at the end is so much better if you read Warbreaker.

Just got a guy at my work to start reading the series. Will be enjoying talking to him about it as he reads.
boboguitar
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I agree Wax and Wayne is better than the Mistbon trilogy as a whole, though I think the Final Empire is still the best of all those books.

Cannot wait for the last book, but Sanderson said the next Skyward books will be written first, since that publisher has been waiting and he uses the same publisher for Wax and Wayne as he does for Stormlight.

As for Oathbringer, all I can say is, do not speed read through the end of the book. There is a lot that happens you will miss. He doesn't overtly tell you things, but you see hints of things and can make some educated guesses as to reveals that haven't quite been made, yet. Did you read Warbreaker before WoR? That reveal at the end is so much better if you read Warbreaker.

Just got a guy at my work to start reading the series. Will be enjoying talking to him about it as he reads.
Can you go into detail?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

i got at least 3 of my co-workers to read Sanderson's work and all of them blew thru Mistborn and then got into Stormlight and others. One in particular is so into it, he has two Stormlight themed tattoos now: a Bridge Four tat and an Edgedancer glyph bc Lift is his favorite character. Also, he named his new black lab Navani.

Its always fun to compare notes with people that read after you and seeing them enjoy the surprise and twists that you know are upcoming. .
Lathspell
AG
The first time through, I completely missed Jasnah and Shallan seem to already have their plate. There is a scene where a guy gets thrown through the air, into a wall. When Adolin rounds the corner, he sees Jasnah there, with geometric shapes around her disappearing. Then, when Jasnah goes up to Shallan after the Lightweaver army scene, she grabs Shallan's arm, which causes the Shallan lightweaving to puff away. Radiant is the real one of the three. If you remember at the beginning of the fight, Radiant is in full shardplate.

Sanderson has said in interviews that Shallan is an Ideal ahead of Kaladin, so I think we can assume she can summon her plate. I personally believe the plate is assembled out of lesser spren related to the respective radiant. I think the windspren that gathered around Kaladin were because he was so close to saying the 4th Ideal, and they were ready to be summoned as Plate

Then, there's the part where Renarin is going up to the Oathgate where the Voidbringers fly down to him and appear to salute him. I think that has to do with his spren being corrupted. They seem to see him as one of them, which may come up again.

Anyway, those are a couple I completely missed, my first read through.
Chase McGuire
Finished WoR and Edgedancer again. It always takes me a while to settle in to the beginning of WoR, but the back half of the book brings it all together in a big way. Also really glad Sanderson wrote Edgedancer. It makes Nale's story so much more cohesive. Excited for what he does with Dawnshard coming up. Hasn't he said it'll feature Rysn?

On to Oathbringer.
maverick2076
It will feature Rysn...and Lopen. He just finished his 3rd draft of Dawnshard. It's should be out electronically before RoW.

I just started my Oathbringer reread yesterday.
Lathspell
AG
I'm really interested to see what happens to her character. Has spent too much time "onscreen" to not play a major role, imo.

Also, anytime with the Lopen is time worth spent.
Chase McGuire
I'm guessing some of the main interlude/novella characters will become the main viewpoint characters in the second half of the series. Post-book 5.
Lathspell
AG
Chase McGuire said:

I'm guessing some of the main interlude/novella characters will become the main viewpoint characters in the second half of the series. Post-book 5.
IDK... I have my theories. I think books 6-10 will take place in a new desolation. I think Dalinar leads a new Oathpact to delay the final confrontation and our current main characters end up on Braize, as part of that oathpact.

There is obviously a huge story arc that completes in book 5. It's not going to simply be, "okay, now you will follow some new main characters." I also don't think simply killing them off is going to be big enough to end a story arc.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Where all did Rysn show up again? Did she have a lot of interludes? I can't really remember.
Chase McGuire
She's in all three books, I believe. The girl with the stupid grass who gets paralyzed jumping off the giant island/crab thing.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Chase McGuire said:

She's in all three books, I believe. The girl with the stupid grass who gets paralyzed jumping off the giant island/crab thing.
Ahhhh okay I remember the island crab jump off. And kind of the grass as well. Thanks.
Chase McGuire
Cool theory, and I would be totally down for that. I think the only thing I've heard about arc 2 is that it will take place 10-15 years after current events, so I always assumed the younger characters like Lift, Renarin and Rysn would be more prominently featured then. Excited to find out.
maverick2076
Sanderson has said that Rysn's story is more significant to the Cosmere as a whole than it is to just Roshar.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.