Sanderson Stormlight

95,352 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Amazons Wheel if Time adaptation will be telling, for multiple reasons. to see what kind of capital a studio like that is willing to invest and what quality production results. what kind of "leash" does the show get. Do they give it a second season order quickly or do they wait to see what the viewing #s are/critical acclaim is. if it takes off, what studio/studios will jump to make the "next" big fantasy series. With Amazon committing to potentially successful WoT, and LOTR and the Expanse, they may not have room in their budget for another expensive fantasy/sci-fi series, at least for several years, so who tries to swoop in? Netflix has The Witcher. HBO ? Does a Showtime or Starz try and make a big splash?

That all said, I hope they don't go animation. I want to see this in flesh and blood and to be honest, it's the format the masses are going to prefer. I am willing to make some sacrifices on some of the fantasy elements to make that happen . Thankfully, much of WoK, at least the first half, wouldn't require too much cGI. You do some of what GoT did in their first season to save money with having some big set pieces happen off screen. I just don't know how you do spren without it coming across like Tinkerbell/fairies flying around everywhere. I think the key is introducing the plot and characters without too much fantasy and slowly introducing more of those elements as you progress like GoT did. Just my $.02

----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Lathspell
AG
I don't want a *******ized version of the books.

You cannot have Stormlight Archive without the spren. they are a part of the world. Removing them completely screws up the story.
PatAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I think an animated version could be cool.

I just don't see a live action version being done well. I don't see a streaming service or HBO putting up the money required to make it as it should be. I also think it is too high fantasy to have the mass appeal that something like GoT had.

As a film series, it is too long and would be cut to crap.

For those reasons, I think animated is our only option for a good adaptation.
The thing it has going for it, is it doesn't have the stereotypical magical wizards in it. I think it is written so well, and described so completely, it would make an amazing TV show (Or sequence of movies I guess, it would just need to be at least 2 movies a book)
Micah97
AG
https://www.tor.com/2020/08/11/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-chapter-six/

Chapter 6 for those who are reading the early release chapters.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Started Mistborn last night!
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

You cannot have Stormlight Archive without the spren. they are a part of the world. Removing them completely screws up the story.
sorry, i probably didnt express my thoughts correctly. i didnt mean "no spren", it was more of a thought of i dont know how you do it creatively where it comes across well and not just like Tinkerbell and Peter Pan, which i think would turn off a lot of viewers and would very easily come across that way in less capable hands. you have to have spren to tell the story, i 100% agree with you on that. my bigger thought was toning down some of the fantasy aspects for broader appeal, not removing them completely (a comparison would be the Iron Throne in the show vs how GRRM envisioned his Iron Throne).

like everyone on this thread, i desperately want to see Sanderson's work on screen, TV or big screen. but i also want to see it done well. i would loath any *******ization of these books. the thing is, the reason you adapt a work like this in the first place is to broaden the audience and not just simple fan service, which i dont think is possible without SOME toning down of the fantasy. that being said, they have to pay service to the current fan base/readers otherwise it loses the essence of the story and wont be successful. and if you lose those die hard readers, the likelihood you gain other fans would be pretty miniscule. it will be like trying to thread a needle during the middle of a highstorm
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
PatAg
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

DallasTeleAg said:

sorry, i probably didnt express my thoughts correctly. i didnt mean "no spren", it was more of a thought of i dont know how you do it creatively where it comes across well and not just like Tinkerbell and Peter Pan, which i think would turn off a lot of viewers and would very easily come across that way in less capable hands. you have to have spren to tell the story, i 100% agree with you on that. my bigger thought was toning down some of the fantasy aspects for broader appeal, not removing them completely (a comparison would be the Iron Throne in the show vs how GRRM envisioned his Iron Throne).

like everyone on this thread, i desperately want to see Sanderson's work on screen, TV or big screen. but i also want to see it done well. i would loath any *******ization of these books. the thing is, the reason you adapt a work like this in the first place is to broaden the audience and not just simple fan service, which i dont think is possible without SOME toning down of the fantasy. that being said, they have to pay service to the current fan base/readers otherwise it loses the essence of the story and wont be successful. and if you lose those die hard readers, the likelihood you gain other fans would be pretty miniscule. it will be like trying to thread a needle during the middle of a highstorm
I would disagree with this somehwat. This project is in work because the books have a huge audience already, as well as the success of Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Game of Thrones showing people will watch who aren't already aware of it.

The real trick is making sure the screen play is written well, the show is directed/shot well, and graphics and fx are well done. It's a simplification I know, but that's the actual running theme between success and failure with these shows/movies.
Lathspell
AG
Success would require a great pilot and a well paced story. I think the problem would be with the necessity for changing the Way of Kings, too much.

To be honest, I don't think SA is too magical for a mass audience. Other than the generic spren, the first high spren you meet is Syl. You may not even get to her talking until late in the pilot or in the second episode. And other than her, you don't really show that much magic throughout the entire first season. The main "fantastical" element are the Shards and the world itself.

You may lose some non fantasy viewers in the assassination scene at the beginning, though I think that scene would be absolutely amazing to see on screen.

What big set piece or story point would you end the pilot on? Kal's first bridge run? Shallan being taken on as Jasnah's ward? I guess Kal's first bridge run would be a great visual, but the aftermath of that run really isn't all that great of a story break, unless you montage it with a several runs and make the story break when he decides not to give up. That or the Dalinar story when they kill the chasmfiend, though those both seem pretty far along in the story.

You may need to pull some later reveals or scenes from later in the book up to the Pilot, but I guess that is for a good screenwriter to decide. Ultimately, a good adaptation would require the showrunner to be a fan. Like Jackson and the LotR, the showrunner would need to love the series to make sure the important elements were show and told on screen.

EDIT: I was thinking that maybe you start with a two episode show. The pilot ends with the slaver caravan cresting a hill to reveal the warcamp set piece, which could be pretty cool to see. The end of episode two is Kalidan deciding to not give up and maybe bringing the attack on Shallan and Jasnah on the streets up to that point and end with that shocking killing scene.
PatAg
AG
Could even end up telling the story more chronologically then the book did. I think the story is better the book route, but who knows.
bangobango
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Finished Edgedancer last night. What an enjoyable author in that he even has an epilogue that tells you why he did certain things ("this event didn't fit the timeline so I needed to give the reader something that showed the shift from this to this").

It took me some time post-Dark Tower to find a series where the characters were actually fleshed out enough to where I cared for them... tried a handful including Wheel of Time and Steven Erikson's stuff... But I think I've finally found the author to go on a deep dive with.
if you don't care about Fiddler from the Malazan series, well then you don't have a heart.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I've read the first two Mistborn books this week, and am halfway through the third. Safe to say I'm hooked. Sanderson is about to make some bucks off me.
Lathspell
AG
Something did just occur to me that may play into SA's favor.

The Alethi are written as darker skinned. Perhaps a more ethnic cast would help in getting it made, in today's climate.
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Something did just occur to me that may play into SA's favor.

The Alethi are written as darker skinned. Perhaps a more ethnic cast would help in getting it made, in today's climate.

100%. Szeth is supposed to be the only "white" looking character. With Alethi being more Asian, you really could open up the Chinese/Asian market. Of course, that could also bring in some of that much needed financing too
AG
PatAg said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

DallasTeleAg said:

I would disagree with this somehwat. This project is in work because the books have a huge audience already, as well as the success of Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Game of Thrones showing people will watch who aren't already aware of it.

The real trick is making sure the screen play is written well, the show is directed/shot well, and graphics and fx are well done. It's a simplification I know, but that's the actual running theme between success and failure with these shows/movies.

That built in audience only helps increase the floor. All of those adaptations you mentioned would have still failed had they not attracted an audience outside of the original readership. It would be interesting to compare the pre-adaptation audiences of the three you mentioned and something like WoT with the reach of Sanderson's work, though. At least to see what kind of starting point you are working with, if that makes any sense
kapon
AG
May I please get a link for this cosmere reading guide?
I cannot read it on my screen, and the website seems like it would be neat to visit.
Thanks!
Ornithopter
AG
kapon said:

May I please get a link for this cosmere reading guide?
I cannot read it on my screen, and the website seems like it would be neat to visit.
Thanks!

Spoilers abound if you scroll up: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Cosmere#Bibliography_of_the_Cosmere
Lathspell
AG
I never read the Alethi as Asian. I always viewed them as more middle eastern/Jewish/Indian mix. Though technically that is Asian.

I always thought of Szeth as Asian.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Listening to Elantris now. Pretty crazy concept. Really don't like the reader on Audible for it though.
hunter2012
AG
I really liked the prince/princess dynamic in that one, especially when she goes into the city and he keeps his identity secret to appear like a manipulative slumlord. Regardless the priest was my favorite. There are at least 2 character that I know of in Elantris that show up in Stormlight.
AG
hunter2012 said:

I really liked the prince/princess dynamic in that one, especially when she goes into the city and he keeps his identity secret to appear like a manipulative slumlord. Regardless the priest was my favorite. There are at least 2 character that I know of in Elantris that show up in Stormlight.
Elantris is great. i would be curious to see if BS could have a do-over and could re-write it at the level he is at now, what we would have gotten. I think the preist, Hrathen, especially would have been fleshed out that much more and be even more complex. i think a few of the side characters would have gotten some more ink. regardless, such a great book.
Lathspell
AG
hunter2012 said:

Who else, other than the most obvious world hopper?

I can only think of 3 world hoppers in SA, off the top of my head. Unless you consider the slayer of evil a world hopper.

I found Elantris to be kind of boring.
Chase McGuire
All the guys that talk to the Purelaker (Ishikk?) in WoK are worldhoppers for sure. Zahel and Azure are from Warbreaker. Mraize and probably more of the Ghostbloods. That's just off the top of my head. There are more, I'm sure.
Lathspell
AG
Chase McGuire said:

All the guys that talk to the Purelaker (Ishikk?) in WoK are worldhoppers for sure. Zahel and Azure are from Warbreaker. Mraize and probably more of the Ghostbloods. That's just off the top of my head. There are more, I'm sure.
Those two are the obvious ones, which is why I can't wait for a sequel to Warbreaker.

I never got the feeling that Mraize was a worldhopper. Where do you get that from? I had forgotten about the guys asking about Hoid at the Purelake.

I still don't know why I am putting a spoiler tag on his name. It really isn't a spoiler... naming Zahel and Azure as worldhoppers from warbreaker is more of a spoiler, though I still wouldn't call it that.
Chase McGuire
Mraize has a collection of all sorts of objects from the worlds around the Cosmere. It's shown when Shallan visits his lair in WoR, I believe.
Chase McGuire
https://stormlightarchive.fandom.com/wiki/Worldhopper
Lathspell
AG
Getting caught in a Cosmere black hole, there. I didn't realize that Devotion and Dominion were deceased. I have read theories about Honor's death and his shard splintering into smaller pieces. Perhaps purposefully?

We know that the death of a Shard-holder doesn't necessarily mean the destruction of that Shard. Though, if it did shatter, perhaps that is what caused the shattered plains.
hunter2012
AG
Worldhoppers I know about, warning this includes Secret History info:
Azure=Vivenna from Warbreaker
Zahel=Vasher from Warbreaker
Nightblood=Nightblood
Grump=Galadon from Elantris
Thinker= Demoux from Mistborn
The lighthouse keeper in Oathkeeper=The Elantran that "dissolved" in the pool in Elantris which is apparently a type of perpendicularity
Of course the Elantrans in Mistborn Secret history are WHs too. as well as the two campers in the cognitive realm
Chase McGuire
Nazh and Khriss, the two campers from the cognitive realm, have also been to Roshar. They make a lot of the illustrated notes and maps in the books.
hunter2012
AG
Mistborn Secret history spoiler:

I gotta think that Spook and Kelsier are also world-hopping and we just haven't seen them yet. Regardless both appear to be still alive, and we know that others of the thieving crew are still alive, like Demoux and Marsh. It would be cool to have them crash the game later in the Stormlight series. Hopefully Wax and Wayne 4 will say(assuming no cameo in Rhythm of War)
Chase McGuire
All of these stories are so cool on their own, but the interconnected universe is awesome too. Excited to see where it all goes. With Stormlight being the centerpiece of the Cosmere, you have to figure it'll all coalesce toward the end of this series.
hunter2012
AG
Final Stormlight novel:

AG
hunter2012 said:

Worldhoppers I know about, warning this includes Secret History info:

The lighthouse keeper in Oathkeeper=The Elantran that "dissolved" in the pool in Elantris which is apparently a type of perpendicularity

After reading Warbreaker and then re-reading Oathkeeper and him seeing Kaladin and exclaiming what heightening are you!? was such a bad ass, WTF/this is so awesome moment.

Warbreaker is such of a favorite of mine.
hunter2012
AG
For how little action it had, I liked it a lot too. I think it would make an interesting movie visually, where it would blend from grey scale all the way to super technicolor HDR based on the heightenings. It's a VFX Oscar waiting to be made. Also Lightsong is a BAMF.
AG
Dude, Lightsong is such an awesome character. The whole concept of the Returned and the Five Scholars and the possible implications/interactions with the rest of the Cosmere is really cool to me.

Also, the Kalad's Phantoms reveal, I did NOT see coming. Brandon wrote that well, IMO.
Lathspell
AG
I love Warbreaker. The twists and turns there at the end were so awesome. Love the reveal of the Phantoms as well as the reveals in Lightsong's story arc. You'd think it would have been so obvious, but I didn't see it coming.

Lightsong is still one of my favorite Cosmere characters. Porbably in my top 5. Really, I love all the characters in Warbreaker.

"My life to yours, my Breath become yours."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.