*** Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live Action Remake) ***

42,285 Views | 445 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by GrayMatter
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Director: Rob Marshall
New music by Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda

Apparently coming in late 2020.

No cast officially signed, but rumors:
Ariel - Zendaya (rumored target)
Eric - Harry Styles (rumored target)
Ursula - Melissa McCarthy (deep in talks)

I'm excited about this one.
Broba Fett
Out of ideas (live action remake)
Olsen
AG
My wishlist casting for the rest of the cast:

Anna Kendrick as Vanessa (Ursula's human alter-ego)
Hugh Jackman as King Triton
Jackson Robert Scott as Flounder
Jamie Foxx as Sebastian
Richard E. Grant as Grimsby
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The best part about McCarthy as Ursula is just like the best part of Tilda Swinton as Jadis the White Witch from the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - you don't have to waste any time in makeup or hair, you just turn the camera on and they're already scaring the hell out of you.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
nai06
AG
I really wish they would cast Ginger Minj as Ursula. Melissa McCarthy is amazing but I think Ginger is made for this role
Velvet Jones
AG
This person as Ariel?

Hard pass.

Carlo4
AG
Ariel

Eric

Duncan Idaho
MiniShrike said:

This person as Ariel?

Hard pass.

What is wrong with her? The only thing I know her from is the spiderman movies and she has done pretty well. I am assuming she can sing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm outraged that a Jamaican wasn't cast for Sebastian. Were one of the dudes from Cool Runnings to busy?
Average Joe
AG

I still have that VHS.
Duncan Idaho
I want blumhouse to do a series of horror movies based on the actual brothers grimm fairy tales.
Not a Bot
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

MiniShrike said:

This person as Ariel?

Hard pass.

What is wrong with her? The only thing I know her from is the spiderman movies and she has done pretty well. I am assuming she can sing.

She was in The Greatest Showman and was very good.
double aught
AG
Great scene
Post removed:
by user
rhutton125
AG
Not to speak for anyone else, but if I had to guess, the groans for the Zendaya as Ariel haters are there because we've already heard all the arguments for hating Zendaya as MJ. "But she doesn't even have red hair! If she doesn't have red hair, it's not even the same character!"
TresPuertas
AG
I can 100% say that I'm highest on the list of people who wanted Edris Elba as 007 to happen. So it doesn't have a damn thing to do with race. Sometimes people just make sense in certain characters. I just don't see it here with Zendaya and it has nothing to do with her color.
Batzarro
AG
Beauty and The Beast is set in France, that's why I support using French actors/actresses. Not a basic British girl from Harry Potter. For Cogsworth and Lumiere, I could clearly tell they were Obi-Wan Kenobi and Magneto.

I'm arguing to try and use actors and actresses from the same region that the story is set.

For the Little Mermaid, my argument is different. I associate the movie with a red headed mermaid and that's why we have to go to Atlantis to find a real mermaid to cast in the role! But seriously, I just like the tradition of the actors looking familiar as TresPuertas said.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Hollywood just hates red-headed Irish women!
Olsen
AG
OP needs to update the first post:

Scuttle - Awkwafina (deep in talks)
Flounder - Jacob Tremblay (deep in talks)

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/jacob-tremblay-awkwafina-little-mermaid-1203257076/
chiken
AG
Amy Adams would make a good Ariel. Emma Stone would be nice for an edgy Ariel, but she can't sing.
TennAg
I was hoping for christina hendricks for this role myself.
TCTTS
AG
Posting this then leaving the thread forever...

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/little-mermaid-halle-bailey-chloe-x-halle-1203234294/
double aught
AG
That's probably smart.
Flashdiaz
AG
I read the name on a subject line somewhere else and immediately thought, 'she's too old to play Ariel' followed by ok that may be ok.

then I realized Halle Bailey is not Halle Berry
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same
Belton Ag
AG
I don't see the problem with wanting Disney to cast a redhead for Ariel. It would be the same if they cast a white girl if they remake Moana or Princess and the Frog.

I think the casting choice here is really dumb and I'm not sure why they'd bother remaking this movie instead of doing an original movie using this actress.
Project Pluto
TCTTS said:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/little-mermaid-halle-bailey-chloe-x-halle-1203234294/

Hollywood really hates redheads since they replace them with blacks almost every time now that diversity is the single most important quality in casting. It's really weird.
Olsen
AG
Here's to hoping Harry Styles would still be offered the role as Prince Eric...
wangus12
AG
Project Pluto said:

TCTTS said:

Hollywood really hates redheads since they replace them with blacks almost every time now that diversity is the single most important quality in casting. It's really weird.
Yeah gingers are basically the most hated people on the planet. Everyone is against us. Nobody knows oppression like us
Post removed:
by user
Olsen
AG
Halle Bailey rhymes with Halle Berry...
PatAg
AG
First big movie for her?
Olsen
AG
PatAg said:

First big movie for her?

Yep. Her sister and herself have been series regulars on Freeform's Grown-ish for over the past year now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.