HBO's Chernobyl Mini-series drops next week.

106,363 Views | 688 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by gigemJTH12
hoosierAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting, obviously didn't know that and just assumed that from the last episode. Either way, it's still crazy how this was so "lucky" from being so much worse.
bobinator
AG
Oh yeah no question. I just think that bit is really interesting. And the fact that they lived doesn't make it any less heroic because they had every reason to think they wouldn't live.
Robert C. Christian
AG
bobinator said:

hoosierAG said:

The 3 guys sacrificing themselves obviously, a whole continent might have been ruined. Insane.
I also think this is a really interesting thing. This has been told so much that it's basically real-world canon.

But according to the book "01:23:40" two of these dudes are still alive as of 2016, and the other died in 2005. Apparently the soviet propaganda machine thought them dying makes for a better story, which to be fair, it totally does.

I was going to make the same comment but, since the follow up hasn't aired was going to see which lath they took. Plus, spoilers.
bobinator
AG
I've debated with myself on if there's such a thing as spoilers for such a famous historical event.

I guess it's not really a spoiler in this case because the show could still go either direction, but I was wondering what the board thinks about stuff like that.
twilly
AG
The series is riveting entertainment, but definitely not wholly accurate.

But the tempo and attention to visual detail has been outstanding.
dahouse
AG
The three that went in the wetsuits died. The ones that went in the water at the beginning to turn valves are the ones that are alive
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
bonfarr
AG
bobinator said:

hoosierAG said:

The 3 guys sacrificing themselves obviously, a whole continent might have been ruined. Insane.
I also think this is a really interesting thing. This has been told so much that it's basically real-world canon.

But according to the book "01:23:40" two of these dudes are still alive as of 2016, and the other died in 2005. Apparently the soviet propaganda machine thought them dying makes for a better story, which to be fair, it totally does.

They also made it appear as if the first helicopter flew into the radiation cloud and crashed. There was a helicopter crash but not until plenty of drops on to the open reactor had already occurred and the helicopter crashed when it collided with a crane not from the radiation.

Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
bobinator
AG
dahouse said:

The three that went in the wetsuits died. The ones that went in the water at the beginning to turn valves are the ones that are alive
It's the opposite. The wet suit guys lived (though their fates are uncertain on the show), though most people think they died.

The ones that tried to get the water moving to the core (even though there was no core) died. (This happened in the first episode of this season.)
Bregxit
AG
bobinator said:

dahouse said:

It's the opposite. The wet suit guys lived (though their fates are uncertain on the show), though most people think they died.

The ones that tried to get the water moving to the core (even though there was no core) died. (This happened in the first episode of this season.)

And it was western media that got the story going that they died. The Soviets just rolled with it since it sounded so heroic.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Hard to convey over text but I feel the same way about "spoilers". Not sure what counts on such a historical event so I was really just wanting to see which outcome the show went with.
BowSowy
AG
bonfarr said:

bobinator said:

hoosierAG said:

They also made it appear as if the first helicopter flew into the radiation cloud and crashed. There was a helicopter crash but not until plenty of drops on to the open reactor had already occurred and the helicopter crashed when it collided with a crane not from the radiation.

I thought the helicopter in the show also crashed because of a collision with the crane?
Bregxit
AG
I didn't see a crane in the show, just the helicopter flying apart after it flew over the core. Could have missed it I guess.
bonfarr
AG
dlance said:

I didn't see a crane in the show, just the helicopter flying apart after it flew over the core. Could have missed it I guess.

I didn't see a crane either just alot of black smoke that was added for dramatic effect. In the actual footage visibility wasnt an issue.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
gomerschlep
AG
I took from that scene that the helicopter flew into the smoke which caused an engine failure. Didn't notice a crane, and I'm pretty fanatical about spotting possible obstacles to RW aircraft (occupational hazard)
Robert C. Christian
AG
There definitely was a crane. Wife and I talked about it during the show about the differences between real life and what was presented on HBO.

Here is an article about the show's version.

Quote:

In an episode full of jaw-dropping moments, perhaps the most shocking came when Legasov and Shcherbina attempted to direct a Helicopter to fly over the plant. Despite warnings not to fly directly over, the helicopter doesand as a result, takes in a massive amount of radiation, hits a crane, and falls right out of the sky.
Clip while it stays up on YouTube:

Bregxit
AG
Sho' nuff! So that's cleared up!
ApachePilot
AG
This show is by far my favorite in some time.
OldArmy71
AG
It DOES hit that crane. Thanks. I hadn't noticed that on the first viewing.
Bregxit
AG
In case any are interested, a couple of videos inside reactor 4 taken by a dossimetrist, Alexander Kupnyi, with massive uranium balls. Yes he is still alive. Note the "Elephant's Foot" in the video is considered the most dangerous object on Earth.

AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
I've wanted to take a tour of the exclusion zone for years. This show is re-igniting that interest.

Has anyone here been? Thoughts?
ChickenAndWafflesAg
AG
bobinator said:

dahouse said:

I am amazed they lived so long after that!
bonfarr
AG
ChickenAndWafflesAg said:

bobinator said:

dahouse said:

One of the guys that lived said in a documentary I watched that he can't get motor oil or any kind of oil on his skin, any one know what that would do to someone that has had severe radiation poisoning?
2008and1
AG
AgFormerlyInIrving said:

I've wanted to take a tour of the exclusion zone for years. This show is re-igniting that interest.

Has anyone here been? Thoughts?

Interesting. This show has reinforced my current desire to stay as far away from Chernobyl as possible lol.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
bonfarr said:

ChickenAndWafflesAg said:

bobinator said:

dahouse said:

One of the guys that lived said in a documentary I watched that he can't get motor oil or any kind of oil on his skin, any one know what that would do to someone that has had severe radiation poisoning?

Likely nothing
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
k20dub
AG
Just caught up on this show. Between Barry, GOT, and this, HBO is killing it this month.
Swarely
I really can't compliment this show enough. Also, I think I said it before in this thread, but the podcast is really worth listening to.
aggiepaintrain
AG
this will win everything

omg so good
A. Solzhenitsyn
Swarely said:

I really can't compliment this show enough. Also, I think I said it before in this thread, but the podcast is really worth listening to.

What podcast? Dont want to scroll the whole thread
Hogties
AG
The Chernobyl Podcast (that's the name) published by HBO
DollahBillzYo!
The scenes where the firemen literally melt. That looks like a horrific way to die - holy *****
zgood10
ac04
so impressed with jared harris. fantastic performance so far.
BBRex
AG
**********zYo! said:

The scenes where the firemen literally melt. That looks like a horrific way to die - holy *****

Those scenes were shocking. I knew there would be some rough scenes, but I wasn't expecting that.
Bunk Moreland
Once Lane Pryce described 'the process' to Boris I knew we were in for a rough future scene.
zgood10
AG
"He's not your husband anymore. He's something else"

I mean the nurse wasn't too far off. Barely recognizable

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.