HBO's Chernobyl Mini-series drops next week.

105,826 Views | 688 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by gigemJTH12
Serious Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rynning said:

The first episode can be skipped
bollocks! it is necessary to see what a dickbag Dyatlov was
Joe Exotic
AG
rynning said:

Just started this with a week free trial of HBO Now.

The first episode can be skipped because it's everything you'd expect: explosion, confusion, injury and death. The series really picks up in episode 2.

What? For people unfamiliar with the incident and the true horror and fury of a runaway reactor needed to see that.
mm98
AG
I didn't read all 19 pages so my apologies if this was previously discussed.

I'll be interested to see this Russia made series. Had not heard of this conspiracy theory until a client of mine who is from Croatia told me about it 2 weeks ago.

https://www.insider.com/russia-making-own-chernobyl-series-cia-conspiracy-2019-6

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Emmy noms (miniseries):

Outstanding Series
Jared Harris - Lead Actor
Outstanding Writing
Outstanding Directing
schmendeler
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

rynning said:

The first episode can be skipped
bollocks! it is necessary to see what a dickbag Dyatlov was
yeah, that's a terrible take. every episode is a must watch imo.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a 5 episode mini-series and you want to skip an episode?!
aggiepaintrain
AG
Simply the best series, mini series, documentary, ever made.
rynning
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's a 5 episode mini-series and you want to skip an episode?!

I meant, of course, if you're like, you know, short on time...
SJEAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Emmy noms (miniseries):

Outstanding Series
Jared Harris - Lead Actor
Outstanding Writing
Outstanding Directing
Skarsgard and Watson as well for supporting.

19 noms in all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Missed those. Nice.
twilly
AG
Looks like the Russians are still using the same old Soviet Playbook.

Mysterious radiation cloud over Europe traced to secret Russian nuclear accident

Quote:

A vast cloud of nuclear radiation that spread over continental Europe in 2017 has been traced to an unacknowledged nuclear accident in southern Russia, according to an international team of scientists.
Quote:

Although the resulting cloud of nuclear radiation was diluted enough that it caused no harm to people beneath it, the total radioactivity was between 30 and 100 times the level of radiation released after the ***ushima accident in Japan in 2011, Steinhauser told Live Science.
hunter2012
AG
3.4 Roentgen. Not great but not terrible.
Yoda
AG
It was the equivalent of a chest x-ray.
Shelton98
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Simply the best series, mini series, documentary, ever made.

I've watched it twice... and I'm probably not done.
GrapevineAg
AG
So I stumbled upon this thread last night - I guess it caught my eye because I recently watched the Nova documentary on the new shield building they put over the old sarco****us. I started watching all episodes at around 11:00 last night and didn't stop. Then I read all 19 pages of this thread. Yeah, I'll be useless at work today. Holy cow, what a great miniseries! I could echo a lot of what's already been said, but I'll spare y'all and just say that Homer Simpson could have made better decisions in that control room than Anatoly Dyatlov.
hunter2012
AG
GrapevineAg said:

So I stumbled upon this thread last night - I guess it caught my eye because I recently watched the Nova documentary on the new shield building they put over the old sarco****us. I started watching all episodes at around 11:00 last night and didn't stop. Then I read all 19 pages of this thread. Yeah, I'll be useless at work today. How cow, what a great miniseries! I could echo a lot of what's already been said, but I'll spare y'all and just say that Homer Simpson could have made better decisions in that control room than Anatoly Dyatlov.
Yup, this would've been better than the crap he pulled...

Counterpoint
AG
I'm curious...if someone (today) touched the contaminated clothes that are still in the basement of the hospital with their bare hands, what would happen?
G Martin 87
AG
GrapevineAg said:

So I stumbled upon this thread last night - I guess it caught my eye because I recently watched the Nova documentary on the new shield building they put over the old sarco****us. I started watching all episodes at around 11:00 last night and didn't stop. Then I read all 19 pages of this thread. Yeah, I'll be useless at work today. How cow, what a great miniseries! I could echo a lot of what's already been said, but I'll spare y'all and just say that Homer Simpson could have made better decisions in that control room than Anatoly Dyatlov.
Now that you've hopefully caught back up on your sleep, listen to the HBO podcast episodes.
maxag42
In the end of the series they show a scene of the clothes and the readings taken and it shows around 600-700 roentgen. If 3.4 roentgen is the equivalent of a chest x-ray, then you would be exposed to radiation around 175-200 times that at once. So obviously that's not good. That just speaks how incredible something like that is possible even after three decades.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://weather.com/news/trending/video/building-covering-radioactive-material-at-chernobyl-close-to-collapse

Didn't they just build this?
GrapevineAg
AG
The original sarco****us is what's "on the verge of collapse", not the new dome. They could have made that a bit clearer.
Bregxit
AG
GrapevineAg said:

The original sarco****us is what's "on the verge of collapse", not the new dome. They could have made that a bit clearer.

Yeah I think the clickbaity nature was intentional on Weather's part.
Punked Shank
AG
dlance said:

GrapevineAg said:

Yeah I think the clickbaity nature was intentional on Weather's part.

100%
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah that was confusing.
Joe Exotic
AG
maxag42 said:

In the end of the series they show a scene of the clothes and the readings taken and it shows around 600-700 roentgen. If 3.4 roentgen is the equivalent of a chest x-ray, then you would be exposed to radiation around 175-200 times that at once. So obviously that's not good. That just speaks how incredible something like that is possible even after three decades.

They haven't used roentgen in some time. The readings at the end were on a digital dosimeter and were in mSv
Counterpoint
AG
Bo Darville said:

maxag42 said:

They haven't used roentgen in some time. The readings at the end were on a digital dosimeter and were in mSv

So I assume 700 roentgen is worse than 700 mSv?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not great, not terrible.
Joe Exotic
AG
They measure different things. Roentgen measures just pure ionizing radiation (gamma or X) in the air at a given point. Sv will measure an absorbed dose in a person.
Counterpoint
AG
Bo Darville said:

They measure different things. Roentgen measures just pure ionizing radiation (gamma or X) in the air at a given point. Sv will measure an absorbed dose in a person.

Thanks!
GrapevineAg
AG
G Martin 87 said:

GrapevineAg said:

Now that you've hopefully caught back up on your sleep, listen to the HBO podcast episodes.
Done. Those were pretty interesting. I enjoyed the additional insights from the creator, especially confirmations of the parts that were true to real life.

I may have to dig up some links later, but I recall seeing Jeremy Wade do a River Monsters episode at Chernobyl. I think Anthony Bourdain visited on No Reservations, and Josh Gates toured it on one of his shows too.
The D
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-49251471
G Martin 87
AG
Great discussion about the miniseries on The Incomparable podcast:

https://www.theincomparable.com/theincomparable/473/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Chernobyl, so hot right now.
EngrAg14
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Chernobyl, so hot right now.
Not as hot as back in 1986

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.