HBO's Chernobyl Mini-series drops next week.

106,348 Views | 688 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by gigemJTH12
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Is this more anti-nuclear power or anti-Russia? What's the angle?

So far there's been zero anti-nuclear power vibe. Mainly slanted against the Soviet state and the ignorance of their overconfidence if anything.
HeadGames
AG
Bo Darville said:

InternetFan02 said:

Is this more anti-nuclear power or anti-Russia? What's the angle?

So far there's been zero anti-nuclear power vibe. Mainly slanted against the Soviet state and the ignorance of their overconfidence if anything.

Sounds like the creator of the show doesn't like commies. So it should remain good after the first episode.
Joe Exotic
AG
aTmAg said:

What pissed me off the most about this episode is when the bureaucrats forced that nuclear engineer to go on the roof to look down into the reactor when he already told them what he'd see. He did what they demanded for a few seconds which basically destroyed his face. Then he came back to the bureaucrats and continued to get yelled at, presumably because they didn't like his report.

His face is the least of his problems. Lethal dose is about 5 Sv per hour. He likely got at least 500 Sv just looking at it for a few seconds. He is dying and probably knows it.
HeadGames
AG
Look right into that "Elephant's foot" = deadzo
schmendeler
AG
Really good. Feels like watching a horror movie but with no supernatural occurrences. Just bad decisions and misfortune.

I recommend a Nova episode a year or so ago about the massive engineering project that was nearing completion in which they were constructing a massive building to cover the entire site. It was fascinating.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I was sad to see that Maester Luwin was working for the commie dark side. Between his brief wight run and this week, he's been wreaking havoc on innocent people
samurai_science
Hopefully they dont go with the Russians and put the blame all on the night shift plant operators (who never should have been doing the test in the first place, it got pushed back). It was a combination of many factors including TERRIBLE reactor design (which the leftist in Russia refused to admit).

aTmAg
AG
Bo Darville said:

aTmAg said:

What pissed me off the most about this episode is when the bureaucrats forced that nuclear engineer to go on the roof to look down into the reactor when he already told them what he'd see. He did what they demanded for a few seconds which basically destroyed his face. Then he came back to the bureaucrats and continued to get yelled at, presumably because they didn't like his report.

His face is the least of his problems. Lethal dose is about 5 Sv per hour. He likely got at least 500 Sv just looking at it for a few seconds. He is dying and probably knows it.
My point is that clearly the bureaucrats could see by his face alone that he wasn't lying. I hope they die along with him.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Well, the guy in the glasses does. He was the person who recorded the tapes then hung himself.
Synopsis
Bo Darville said:

Will be a 5 part mini-series with an episode dropping every week. Looks fascinating, especially since I'm set to take a Chernobyl tour this summer. Surprised a full scale movie was never made over the incident.

That sounds awesome. I'll watch.
Joe Exotic
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Well, the guy in the glasses does. He was the person who recorded the tapes then hung himself.

They were different guys. Suicide guy hasn't shown up to the reactor yet. I thought the exchange was insanity. But that's what communism does to the mental state.

"The reactor exploded"
"No it didn't. It can't explode".
"But I saw pieces of it on the ground."
"But you didn't see pieces of it because it can't explode"
"But it did. I know it did"
"You are a piece of **** for thinking that. Now go look again even though it's going to kill you. And we will yell at you more when you get back"
DannyDuberstein
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Suicide guy took the phone call near the end.
schmendeler
AG
Just for clarity: Suicide guy is Jared Harris. He's the one that got the phone call at the end telling him to come to the meeting at 2pm the next day and then got "told" when he said they needed to meet sooner.
aTmAg
AG
So for the nuke engineers out there:

I understand some heroes risked their lives by draining a water tank that was at risk of exploding (if it had exploded then supposedly millions would have died). Was that what those two guys were doing in this episode? Or is that later on?
Bunk Moreland
Lane Pryce has a thing for hanging himself.
Joe Exotic
AG
aTmAg said:

So for the nuke engineers out there:

I understand some heroes risked their lives by draining a water tank that was at risk of exploding (if it had exploded then supposedly millions would have died). Was that what those two guys were doing in this episode? Or is that later on?

It will probably be covered later so I don't want to spoil it

The guys operating the valves were trying to manually turn on pumps that no longer existed to provide feed water to cool a reactor core that also no longer existed. But they didn't know that because the manager told them it had to exist because he believed the design was infallible. The Soviets were so confident in their design that they even refused to build containment vessels around these reactors (the big concrete domes you see around US reactors). On paper the RBMK couldn't explode. In practicality this wasn't the case as I'm sure we I'll find out.
schmendeler
AG
what were the yellow containers sitting out in the open in the rubble? there were three of them.
aTmAg
AG
I did a little research, and discovered this tidbit of info:

So remember when they were talking about the dosimeter's pegging at 3.6 (R/h) and that the bureaucrats ignored the "pegged" part of the statement and were declaring 3.6 to be merely "bad, but not terrible?" They now estimate that actual value was 20,000 R/h.
schmendeler
AG
when the old soviet guy was giving his speech he said something like "this is our time to shine" and I was thinking to myself, "you mean GLOW"
Joe Exotic
AG
Blows my mind that they didn't have permanent wall mounted high level dosimeter alarms in the control room and throughout the plant. The just simply believed there was no reason because of so much faith in the design I guess.
aTmAg
AG
I'm terrible with names (especially Russian ones), but was the jackass in the control room Alexander Akimov?

And which guy was Anatoly Dyatlov? Was he the bureaucrat with glasses who was yelling at that guy at the end?

Their IMBD pictures look nothing like their characters in the show.
schmendeler
AG
judging by his picture on IMDB, it looks like anatoly was the lead engineer during the explosion that kept telling them to put water on the reactor.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

And which of character was Anatoly Dyatlov?
Dyatlov was the mistacheoed asswhipe that was the first to not believe anything anyone would tell him... up until the point he puked on the table, had to get carried away, and while doing so see everyone suffering from radiation poisoning.
aTmAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Quote:

Dyatlov was the mistacheoed asswhipe that was the first to not believe anything anyone would tell him... up until the point he puked on the table, had to get carried away, and while doing so see everyone suffering from radiation poisoning.
I think that was Alexander Akimov.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It was Dyatlov. I watch with captioning. Definitely him and his actions fit the narrative of Dyatlov.
schmendeler
AG
aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Quote:

no akimov was one of the lower level techs/engineers based on the IMDB picture.
aTmAg
AG
schmendeler said:

judging by his picture on IMDB, it looks like anatoly was the lead engineer during the explosion that kept telling them to put water on the reactor.
I think you may be wrong on that based on this slight spoiler:

Everybody in the control room died yet the real Anatoly Dyatlov went to prison for 10 years and died of heart failure in 1995. I think that he might have been the guy mentioned in the audio tape (but I'll have to watch again and listen carefully).
DannyDuberstein
AG
In the conference room, I'm pretty sure the curly-ish haired dude was Bryukhanov and the glasses guy was Fomin.
schmendeler
AG
aTmAg said:

schmendeler said:

Everybody in the control room died yet the real Anatoly Dyatlov went to prison for 10 years and died of heart failure in 1995. I think that he might have been the guy mentioned in the audio tape (but I'll have to watch again and listen carefully).
well, they showed him in the preview for next week smoking a cigarette in the hospital looking pretty well, still.
aTmAg
AG
schmendeler said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Quote:

This picture?

I don't see it. I guess it's the lack of mustache.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That is Paul Ritter. Dyatlov.
schmendeler
AG
aTmAg said:

schmendeler said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Quote:

This picture?

I don't see it. I guess it's the lack of mustache.
yep.
schmendeler
AG
this is akimov

definitely not the mustache guy.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Akimov was the control room guy that thought they ****ed up the test and was turning the useless valves near the end (blondish, skinny).
aTmAg
AG
schmendeler said:

aTmAg said:

schmendeler said:

well, they showed him in the preview for next week smoking a cigarette in the hospital looking pretty well, still.
Are you talking about the guy they were dragging out by his arms at the end? If that was Akimov then he didn't die until may 11th. He wasn't fried right away like the other guys or anything..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.