HBO's Chernobyl Mini-series drops next week.

106,361 Views | 688 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by gigemJTH12
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He is agreeing with me. The blond guy in that pic is Akimov. The mustachioed guy that got dragged out is Dyatlov.
aTmAg
AG
schmendeler said:

this is akimov

definitely not the mustache guy.
I saw that picture. To tell you the truth.. that looks like nobody in the show to me.
schmendeler
AG
aTmAg said:

schmendeler said:

this is akimov

I saw that picture. To tell you the truth.. that looks like nobody in the show to me.
I think you aren't so good with faces.
aTmAg
AG
schmendeler said:

aTmAg said:

schmendeler said:

this is akimov

I think you aren't so good with faces.
I think you may be right. (yet usually I am... so go figure)
DannyDuberstein
AG
Note to self - make sure atmAg is the only customer in the bank when I rob it with no mask.
Mike Elko
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

That is Paul Ritter. Dyatlov.
Yeah, F that guy! (Dyatlov, not Ritter.)
aTmAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Note to self - make sure atmAg is the only customer in the bank when I rob it with no mask.
I wouldn't try it. I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing. Perhaps when they put their Russian make up on, they all look the same to me.
Mike Elko
AG
aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I wouldn't try it. I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing. Perhaps when they put their Russian make up on, they all look the same to me.

aTmAg
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Some of my best friends are white.
aTmAg
AG
Who are those 2 main bureaucrats in suits? I hope they and Maester Luwin get their just desserts too.
Robert C. Christian
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Robert C. Christian said:

Well, the guy in the glasses does. He was the person who recorded the tapes then hung himself.

Suicide guy took the phone call near the end.

Thanks. I am having trouble keeping everyone straight. As someone already said, all the Russians look alike. And just being thrown into it made it hard to cross reference wikipedia for who is who.
BQ78
AG
So far I am gathering it is impossible to tell who is who in this production.
Swarely
Bo Darville said:

Just finished the first episode. That was a hard watch. I can't imagine the pain they were in. The only thing worse is watching the willful ignorance of those devoted to the Soviet state and how the design was safe and anyone questioning it was ridiculed.

Giants aren't real. They're just stories we tell children.
swimmerbabe11
I haven't watched it..but in case any of you care, my Russian friend (who works in theatre and lighting) posted a rave review about how well they did their homework on scenery, props, and general "how well they did their homework" as well as thinking whoever did the lighting is a genius.
InternetFan02
AG
Bo Darville said:

Well, the guy in the glasses does. He was the person who recorded the tapes then hung himself.

They were different guys. Suicide guy hasn't shown up to the reactor yet. I thought the exchange was insanity. But that's what communism does to the mental state.

"The reactor exploded"
"No it didn't. It can't explode".
"But I saw pieces of it on the ground."
"But you didn't see pieces of it because it can't explode"
"But it did. I know it did"
"You are a piece of **** for thinking that. Now go look again even though it's going to kill you. And we will yell at you more when you get back"
this dialog is like something straight out of the Death of Stalin movie last year - awesome satire also with British accents everywhere.
dave99ag
AG
Word is that some scenes were filmed at Blocker.
aTmAg
AG
BTW here is a story that was related to me by a friend (and fellow engineer):

My friend worked at some sort of instrument company that created instruments that measured the qualities of materials at really high temperatures. They had some sort of PhD physicist from Russia on the team.

So they were working on some instrument that has a possible failure that would either:
1) destroy the (million dollar) machine or
2) kill the operator

The team was trying to figure out a way to only partially destroy the machine when the Russian dude interjected, "You can always replace the operator". They had to explain how we didn't do things that way here.

I guess you can take the Russian out of Russia, but not the Russian out of the Russian.
G Martin 87
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Bo Darville said:

They were different guys. Suicide guy hasn't shown up to the reactor yet. I thought the exchange was insanity. But that's what communism does to the mental state.

"The reactor exploded"
"You are a piece of **** for thinking that. Now go look again even though it's going to kill you. And we will yell at you more when you get back"
this dialog is like something straight out of the Death of Stalin movie last year - awesome satire also with British accents everywhere.
Death of Stalin is awesome. Highly recommended.
aTmAg
AG
G Martin 87 said:

InternetFan02 said:

Bo Darville said:

"The reactor exploded"
Death of Stalin is awesome. Highly recommended.
Completely unrelated fact: Johnny Cash was the first westerner to find out that Stalin had died.
BQ78
AG
And that Hookers peed on Trump

The Kraken
AG
aTmAg said:

Who are those 2 main bureaucrats in suits? I hope they and Maester Luwin get their just desserts too.

The plant manager and the head engineer.
The Kraken
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

It was Dyatlov. I watch with captioning. Definitely him and his actions fit the narrative of Dyatlov.
Yeah I had the captioning on too, apparently it helped because I didn't have any issues following who was who.
Hogties
AG
Great show. I've been to a closed science city near Moscow and they got the look and feel nailed. I read a book about the accident and have seen various documentaries on the accident. I'm happy that they appear to be emphasizing the heroism of the firefighters and other responders. Those guys were dealt a bad hand but didn't run and hide even when they knew they were in terrible danger.
aTmAg
AG
Here is a complete photo history I found of Chernobyl. Obviously there are spoilers for those who don't want to know the results yet.
Swarely
aTmAg said:

Here is a complete photo history I found of Chernobyl. Obviously there are spoilers for those who don't want to know the results yet.

Everyone survived and lived happily ever after right?
aTmAg
AG
Swarely said:

aTmAg said:

Everyone survived and lived happily ever after right?
Yep.
Boo Weekley
AustinAg2012 said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

FIFY

aTmAg
AG
Boo Weekley said:

AustinAg2012 said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

FIFY

How long did it take you to make that?
Boo Weekley
aTmAg said:

Boo Weekley said:

AustinAg2012 said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

FIFY

Just googled "russian that's racist gif" thinking it was a very long shot but worthwhile attempt. No way I could ever make anything beyond a basic "Dear Cote" type drawing in Microsoft Paint. I am a very good googler though...I take chances where most people don't.
aTmAg
AG
Boo Weekley said:

aTmAg said:

Boo Weekley said:

AustinAg2012 said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

FIFY

Just googled "russian that's racist gif" thinking it was a very long shot but worthwhile attempt. No way I could ever make anything beyond a basic "Dear Cote" type drawing in Microsoft Paint. I am a very good googler though...I take chances where most people don't.
That chance paid off in a big way.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I really enjoyed the first episode. It doesn't seem political to me at all. Just a crazy event and how the USSR prepared and handled it horribly.
dave99ag
AG
For a moment I thought that Chernobyl would make a great case study for Engineering Ethics at A&M. Then, I realized the only discussion would be to do the opposite of Russian leadership.
Macarthur
easttexasaggie04 said:

I really enjoyed the first episode. It doesn't seem political to me at all. Just a crazy event and how the USSR prepared and handled it horribly.
You must be new here. Everything is political.
aTmAg
AG
Macarthur said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Yeah and I think this one seems to be quite fixated on the politics. It's the entire reason they are trying to cover it up.
Joe Exotic
AG
Macarthur said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

You have to extremely dense to not understand that political issues were were one of, if not the biggest, reasons for the Chernobyl accident.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.