HBO's Chernobyl Mini-series drops next week.

105,833 Views | 688 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by gigemJTH12
Anagrammatic Nudist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

Anagrammatic Nudist said:

Got excited to see like 30+ new posts on this thread. Wanted to run into traffic when I realized they had nothing to do with actual show talk. Every. Damn. Time.
Once Wednesday hits, it's probably best to wait until the show airs again if you only want show discussion (and skip everything in between).
Yeah, that's true. I was holding out hope that it was discussion about the "Chernoby 3828" footage that was making its rounds, but I should have known.
G Martin 87
AG
Jason Ag said:

The failure of the South Fork dam in the late 1800's killed over 2,000 people and remained the highest single loss of US civilians until 9/11. There are a lot of aspects to it which would make a good miniseries, including men on the dam fighting to save it while it was overtopping, telegraph warning to Johnstown ignored, a guy riding horseback to warn people at South Fork. The flood wave hit a highly industrialized area creating a mass of burning debris, which continued burn as people were still trapped. A women had all of her 11 kids drown. Crazy stuff. Andrew Carnegie was part of the group that owned the dam and felt great guilt. Chernobyl does a great job showing the human perspective. All government issues aside, these were people, and the best and worst of humanity can be seen in such events.
Horrific. That's a story that deserves to be told.
Hogties
AG
That story was pretty well told in the history channel series "The Men Who Built America". It was a greatly abbreviated telling of that entire disaster but it was well told.
Burrus86
AG
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't 800 rubles in 1986 equate to just over $806 dollars? That was the "bonus" paid to the 3,828 workers removing the radioactive debris from the roof of that one building!
JJxvi
AG
Well for 90 seconds of work it works out to $32,240/hr (and presuming they did pay everybody that, thats a ****load of money total that needs to be paid out on a rate basis)
bobinator
AG
They usually got a whole crate of vodka also, so there's that!

An interesting aspect of the 'bio-robot' duty is that a lot of people actually wanted to do it. Basically they were keeping track of total radiation exposure, so you were going to be exposed to about the same amount whether you were on the roof for 90 seconds or shoveling dirt for three weeks, so for some guys they wanted to just go ahead and 'burn' their radiation amount in one go and then go home.
gomerschlep
AG
Does alcohol consumption really have some effect on gamma radiation exposure? Could a guy show up drunk for his 90 seconds on the roof and have a better shot long term than anyone else?
JJxvi
AG
Alcohol is a diuretic, and therefore can be helpful in like flushing radioactive heavy water you may have been exposed to from your system faster. Maybe it could also have some other internal effects on other kinds of internal exposure from like iodine, cesium, etc. I dont think it does or could do anything at all regarding being bombarded by ionizing radiation from an external source.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I was hesitant to watch because I have a nuclear engineering degree, have studied the event personally and in class, and figured I'd get angry at how incorrect everything was. I had nothing to do tonight and my coworkers had been adamant I watch so I figured why not.

After binge watching 4 episodes all I can say is wow. They got literally every aspect right. The reactor physics, the radiation effects, the timeline, the cleanup efforts, and the corruption of the Soviets. They literally got it all right. I can't wait for the last episode because it looks like the trial and events of that day are going to be shown via flashback. Obviously its' a topic I'm heavily interested in, but this is probably my favorite show ever.

TCTTS
AG
HBO has no original scripted programming this Sunday night. Wish they'd throw the finale up a day early, at least on the app...
Federale01
AG
You should check out the podcast with the show's creator. He goes into more depth and gives more background about it. He studied it extensively and you can tell in the show and his commentary about it.
Btron
AG
Quote:

I have a nuclear engineering degree

Nice humble brag, smartee
FIDO95
AG
Btron said:

Quote:

Nuclear Engineer: E = mc2

Texags:
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Btron said:

Quote:

The lack of social life is incredible, hence the amount of time on TexAgs
Azariah
AG
Just caught up, and this is incredible. That fourth episode was hard to watch, though.
BQCadet
AG
Why oh why are people so politically sensitive? Get over it and just enjoy the show.
aTmAg
AG
BQCadet said:

Why oh why are people so politically sensitive? Get over it and just enjoy the show.
Ask the producer or the show. As far as I can tell, everybody here was universally praising the show (and still do). Then he chimed in some anti-Trump BS into the mix for some random ass reason.
Robert C. Christian
AG
It has been bugging me for the first half of the episode but Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton) is the lead prosecutor.
zgood10
AG
Jared Harris is awesome
mazzag
AG
That was incredible!
redd38
AG
I wish there was one more episode before this one, I want to know more about the cleanup and containment
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I would recommend reading Chernobyl 01:23:40 the author discusses it more in detail. It talks about the animal killing squads as shown in the show, but it also discusses how they had to build dams along the river to prevent ground contamination from washing into the water supply along with a host of other insane problems. Almost all of the vehicles used in the cleanup are sitting on site rusting away for eternity since they are too contaminated to salvage

Edit: Also the book discusses the Elephant's Foot and some crazy facts about it. The show never mentioned it which makes sense since they didn't get a visual on it until much later. For those who don't know the Elephant's Foot is the nickname given to the solidified glob of metal that the core turned into after it cooled post melt down. It currently sits in the basement of reactor building 4 and is one of the most radioactive things on the planet.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Great series, very well done. Loved his line about them doing things the way they do because its cheaper. Screw commies.
hunter2012
AG
There is no his truth, or her truth, or the state's truth, there is only Truth. That should be the lesson 100%.

One of the best miniseries of all time. That's all.
amg405
AG
Incredible mini series. Can't recommend it enough. Rare to see something stick so close to real history and be that entertaining. Just well done all around.
mazzag
AG
The scene with abandoned response vehicles and helicopters is haunting.
Phat32
AG
The Elephant's Foot is fascinating to me. Only the size of a Weber grill but weighs hundreds of tons. Blew up cameras when they tried to photograph it.
ApachePilot
AG
Why worry about what won't happen comrade.

'They should put that on our money'

'A debt will be paid for all our lies'
TCTTS
AG
Incredible, gut-wrenching, yet inspiring finale. Those final post-scripts were haunting, but the perfect way to wrap everything up. It will be hard for another other mini-series/season of television this year to top what has been done over the past five weeks. Just amazing work all around.
TCTTS
AG
I swear I didn't mean to start my post with "Incredible" and end with "all around."
cbr
AG
A masterpiece alright. Loved every second of that.
Shelton98
AG
Extremely well done. TV doesn't get any better than that.
Malachi Constant
AG
Great ending to a great series.
Carlo4
AG
I half expected Lord Bolton to come up behind Legasov and say that Moscow sends their regards.
ham98
That was an amazingly well made mini series!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.