HBO's Chernobyl Mini-series drops next week.

106,351 Views | 688 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by gigemJTH12
Anagrammatic Nudist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Same. Exceeded all expectations I had for it. It's been really well done, and has been a fun thing to watch with my history-loving 13 year old.
Swarely
Listened to the latest podcast episode today. There's a deleted scene that they talk about that they cut because it was too much.

Think about everything that they have shown you, and know that there is a scene out there that was too much.

It's where one of the puppies didn't die, and they still need to put it out of it's misery. But they are out of bullets.
hunter2012
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

I bleed maroon said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I have no idea how they can wrap this all up in one more episode. The trial will take a while, but many people will want to have the after-story (what happened to the characters, what happened next at the site, how did the disintegration of the Soviet Union affect it, etc.) and be brought up to present day. It has been a great series so far, but they have a tall task in front of them for next week!
they have definitely garnered enough interest for a miniseries about the fall of USSR.
From what I've heard that's just as wild of a story. My Russian history professor said a Red Army tank Battalion was sent with orders to "take care of the reformists" at the capital building(aka the White House but too confusing for us stupid Americans) during the 1991 coup. But the order was vague enough that Boris Yeltsin convinced the Major that by "take care of" that they were there to protect the Russian parliament. After his famous speech from the tank, the battalion formed a defensive perimeter and the hardliners had no chance of stopping them then.
amg405
AG
If you haven't started this one... do it. Best thing on right now.

The article posted earlier from Screen Rant is really good as well.
Scientific
AG
I learned about the partial meltdown in the 60s near Detroit, but that looked like childsplay compared to what happened at Chernobyl. If the plant had exploded anywhere else outside of the USSR, how would other nations have handled the cleaup? The manpower used came at a great cost.

This series is one of the most scariest and cryptic things I've watched. I looked up a few docs after last week, and the series captures the tone perfectly.
Belton Ag
AG
Human life was somewhat cheaper in the Soviet Union than it is here in the modern USA.

Stalin had a saying, (paraphrasing) "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of a million men is a statistic."

The old Ukrainian lady milking her cow in last week's cold open was an incredible and heart wrenching scene, easily the most poignant in this series to me. She recounts her life there on that farm enduring WW1, the Russian Revolution, the Holodomor (look that up, Stalin wasn't just talking when he said what I quoted above), the meatgrinder of the Eastern Front of 1941-1943 (easily the most miserable war front in world history) and now this unseen threat.

When Legasov refers to people as "biorobots" in the last episode, it's something that they were used to over there.
twilly
AG
Belton Ag said:

When Legasov refers to people as "biorobots" in the last episode, it's something that they were used to over there.
Not only that...but when he said it, it made me think about his tirade earlier about bureaucratic party apparatchiks making uninformed decisions about the exclusion zone.

His face went cold as he said "We'll use men". It was like his turn to the dark side had become complete and he was as much apparatchik as the others.
Belton Ag
AG
twilly said:

Belton Ag said:

Not only that...but when he said it, it made me think about his tirade earlier about bureaucratic party apparatchiks making uninformed decisions about the exclusion zone.

His face went cold as he said "We'll use men". It was like his turn to the dark side had become complete and he was as much apparatchik as the others.
Yeah, you could tell it was going against his nature as he said it, and I can imagine how much it must have pained him to realize that he had fallen into the system he obviously didn't like.

FIDO95
AG
Hands down this is the best show on TV right now. So well done from cinematography, acting, and just plain awesome story telling. I'm recommending this to everyone I know who hasn't seen it. Couldn't believe half of what I'm seeing is true only to be shocked how much of the story actually is. I'm still having nightmares about Sitnikov being ordered to the roof.

As others have mentioned, I had no expectations for this mini-series which is probably why I'm enjoying it so much. It is an easy bar to top when it is set so low. On the contrary, I had huge expectations for GOT S8 which is probably why it left me so disappointed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dahouse
AG
I'm about 20% into "Midnight In Chernobyl" It's an amazing read. Both factual and well written. We're lucky the Soviets didn't radiate the entire planet with that RBMK design. There were a few other incidents that never saw the light of day because they happened in remote areas under the military umbrella.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Hogties
AG
twilly said:

Belton Ag said:

That's not the way I interpreted it. He was personally pained no doubt but he realized that the biorobot option was the only workable option, as bad as it was. It's the same kind of terrible decision that commanders have to make when telling a unit to fight a rear guard action at all costs to cover a retreat. They give that order condemning men to death because there is no other choice for the greater good.

If he was suggesting biorobots to save money or meet a political deadline that's one thing, but in this case they had no choice. He not a military man and not used to ordering people to risk their lives. I think the actor pulled it off well. And the fact that we already know that he hung himself about 18 months after the decision, he obviously couldn't live with the consequences of his involvement/actions long term.

Scientific
AG
The stoic culture of the USSR is pretty well known. They refused help, but with the limited technology of the time, would it have mattered? Resorting to using people, as hard as it is, was probably the only option left. I cant imagine what a Western country would have chosen to do.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
I love the show, but the British accents really bother me. Then they use Irish/Scottish accents for the blue collar guys.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but can anyone explain why they can't have actors at least try to have a watered down Russian accent?
schmendeler
AG
MosesHallEnforcer said:

I love the show, but the British accents really bother me. Then they use Irish/Scottish accents for the blue collar guys.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but can anyone explain why they can't have actors at least try to have a watered down Russian accent?
they felt like it was unnecessary/overly complicated to have all these people from different places trying to do a Russian accent (possibly badly), and that most people will adjust to it and not notice the accents after a while.

I tend to agree with them. I occasionally notice it, but the story and every thing else is so good it seems trivial and I let it go.
Hogties
AG
As the podcast explained, it got to sound too much like Boris and Natasha hunting for moose and squirrel. Campy. So they went with the natural accents of the actors they wanted for the roles.
The Debt
Scientific said:

The stoic culture of the USSR is pretty well known. They refused help, but with the limited technology of the time, would it have mattered? Resorting to using people, as hard as it is, was probably the only option left. I cant imagine what a Western country would have chosen to do.

It really goes beyond stoicism. This show made it obvious that some decisions were made due to the Cold War. The robot from Western Germany is the obvious example. Because the Kremlins official position is there was no nuclear incident at Chernobyl, the robot was not given proper shielding.

When Red Dragon Chick gets detained in the hospital, it's not because she is having a female outburst of emotion (what stoics would frown upon) it's the state silencing her. As it was revealed later the head of the KGB knew about her detainment all along.
mazzag
AG
The Debt said:

When Red Dragon Chick gets detained in the hospital, it's not because she is having a female outburst of emotion (what stoics would frown upon) it's the state silencing her. As it was revealed later the head of the KGB knew about her detainment all along.

I didn't think that scene needed an explanation, unless one is a male chauvinist or didn't grow up during the Cold War.
The Debt
mazzag said:

The Debt said:

I didn't think that scene needed an explanation, unless one is a male chauvinist or didn't grow up during the Cold War.

I was just commenting that Soviet policy is not merely "Russian stoicism". There is context here beyond mere national pride or being tight-lipped.
G Martin 87
AG
Hogties said:

twilly said:

Belton Ag said:

That's not the way I interpreted it. He was personally pained no doubt but he realized that the biorobot option was the only workable option, as bad as it was. It's the same kind of terrible decision that commanders have to make when telling a unit to fight a rear guard action at all costs to cover a retreat. They give that order condemning men to death because there is no other choice for the greater good.

If he was suggesting biorobots to save money or meet a political deadline that's one thing, but in this case they had no choice. He not a military man and not used to ordering people to risk their lives. I think the actor pulled it off well. And the fact that we already know that he hung himself about 18 months after the decision, he obviously couldn't live with the consequences of his involvement/actions long term.

That's how I took it, too. They were simply out of good options. Legasov's use of the term "biorobots" was intentionally ironic, bordering on sardonic.
bonfarr
AG
MosesHallEnforcer said:

The director said if the actors had to portray all of the dialogue in a Russian dialect them they end up acting the accent and not the character.
aTmAg
AG
If they aren't going to talk Russian, then does it matter what accent they use?
gomerschlep
AG
It never seemed to bother me in Hunt For the Red October. Hasn't bothered me in this either.
hunter2012
AG
gomerschlep said:

It never seemed to bother me in Hunt For the Red October. Hasn't bothered me in this either.

One of the neatest cinema tricks I've seen was when they seamlessly switched from Russian with subtitles to English. I only caught it a minute or so after the fact.
aTmAg
AG
hunter2012 said:

gomerschlep said:

One of the neatest cinema tricks I've seen was when they seamlessly switched from Russian with subtitles to English. I only caught it a minute or so after the fact.
BTW... THFRO trivia:

The word that they switched from Russian to English was "Armageddon" which is the same word in both languages.
The Debt
aTmAg said:

hunter2012 said:

gomerschlep said:

BTW... THFRO trivia:

The word that they switched from Russian to English was "Armageddon" which is the same word in both languages.

Well they both come from the Egyptian word...Meggedo...so ah yea.

That's like saying everyone calls him "Schwarzenegger". Its a proper noun in every language.
aTmAg
AG
The Debt said:

aTmAg said:

hunter2012 said:

gomerschlep said:

BTW... THFRO trivia:

Well they both come from the Egyptian word...Meggedo...so ah yea.

That's like saying everyone calls him "Schwarzenegger". Its a proper noun in every language.
Just because two words (in two languages) come from a common word doesn't mean the words are the same. "Intelligence" in Russian is "Intellekt", yet they both come from the Latin: "intelligentia".

And.. the writers could have chosen any word to switch the languages. But they intentionally chose that one, because it was the one that is identical in both languages.

And that is cool.
ac04
i don't think about american politics at all when i watch this show. or any other show.
Malachi Constant
AG
Very disappointed in the writer making it political.
Thunder18
AG
Take it to the politics board with this crap
The Debt
Thunder18 said:

Take it to the politics board with this crap
the writer and producer of the show is insinuating a connection to an American president through a public megaphone.

What makes you think this isnt salient to the discussion?

[Whatever the writer's intention, this is not the forum for discussion of the current political scene. One politics board is enough. If you want to discuss the Trump angle, take it to that board -- Staff]
cbr
AG
Cant see anything in the box. Did someone somehow try to make an anti trump issue out of this show!?
ac04
we can't go 5 pages without forum 16 honks dragging their BS back over here. go away.
BowSowy
AG
I really wish the ****stains who get so easily offended by everything online would piss off and let us enjoy discussion about a show that has nothing, whatsoever, to do with America or it's political climate
OldArmy71
AG
I love the show. It never occurred to me to make some sort of connection to Trump.

Stephen King made the connection. The writer of the show congratulated him on making the connection. The writer of the show apparently intended for us to see a connection.

Strangely enough, when the show depicts the evils of Soviet Communism, I assume the writer wants us to see the evils of Soviet Communism.

I was wrong.
The Debt
You have stars...let me invite you to use the ignore feature.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.