HBO's Chernobyl Mini-series drops next week.

106,086 Views | 688 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by gigemJTH12
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
on episode 1, but this is boring as ****
schmendeler
AG
Be gone
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
schmendeler said:

Be gone

I know. sorry. I tried it and wanted to like it. just not my cup of tea I guess. glad a lot of y'all are enjoying it though.
TCTTS
AG
This thread was legit great before today. Loved reading all the expert background and context some of you guys were providing. Of course it was ruined by politics. It's rare that a thread isn't on this board anymore.

A) Craig Mazin is notorious for being Ted Cruz's freshman roommate at Princeton and hates Cruz with the force of a thousand suns. He's not only been extremely vocal about his experience with him throughout that year, but extremely vocal about his very liberal politics general.

B) As long as Mazin isn't literally injecting his politics into this series, why do any of you care? Knowing how liberal he is, I've honestly been impressed by how much he's held back in that regard. Not even one sly dig here or there.
Bregxit
AG
TCTTS said:

This thread was legit great before today. Loved reading all the expert background and context some of you guys were providing. Of course it was ruined by politics. It's rare that a thread isn't on this board anymore.

A) Craig Mazin is notorious for being Ted Cruz's freshman roommate at Princeton and hates Cruz with the force of a thousand suns. He's not only been extremely vocal about his experience with him throughout that year, but extremely vocal about his very liberal politics general.

B) As long as Mazin isn't literally injecting his politics into this series, why do any of you care? Knowing how liberal he is, I've honestly been impressed by how much he's held back in that regard. Not even one sly dig here or there.

The problem is that he has now implied that he did. For many that will poison the viewing experience.
TCTTS
AG
I get that. But can you point to a single instance in which this has been apparent?
OldArmy71
AG
I had no idea. Thank you for the background info.
Bregxit
AG
TCTTS said:

I get that. But can you point to a single instance in which this has been apparent?

Based on your following question, I don't think you do.
TCTTS
AG
Within the run time of the series. Can you point to a single instance within the run time of the series where Mazin's politics have shown themselves? It's not that hard to figure out what I meant.
Bunk Moreland
Just because he agreed with King's Idiotic statement doesn't mean he wrote this injecting Trump into it.

More reads like he's a nut job lib that equates Trump to soviet leaders and that's it.

Agree with TCTTS and others... Nothing in the series so far has shown his bias about Trump bled into the treatment.
aTmAg
AG
Imagine if in the last episode some Ruskie says, "we need to make Russia great again". This board would erupt (and rightly so).
beanbean
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

schmendeler said:

Be gone

I know. sorry. I tried it and wanted to like it. just not my cup of tea I guess. glad a lot of y'all are enjoying it though.
So you watched the first episode and decided you were out? Whatever man. The second episode was really good BTW. But maybe it's not your thing.
JSKolache
AG
Now i want to see a ***ushima mini series to contrast with a quicker, competent response
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
aTmAg said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

schmendeler said:

Be gone

To say the first episode was boring, what the heck do you consider action packed?

You remind me of the troll who claimed he turned off Breaking Bad after the season 3 finale.

Wow. Thanks. "Troll" because I don't like thr show as much as you do? Why be an ******* about it? All I said was I found it boring. Definitely would not describe it as action packed. I also said I'm glad y'all are enjoying it. I really wanted to. Guess I'm not a regular on these threads so I'm not welcome to participate though. Got it.
TCTTS
AG
Please ignore him. He is literally the worst of us.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
brucoh said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

schmendeler said:

Be gone

So you watched the first episode and decided you were out? Whatever man. The second episode was really good BTW. But maybe it's not your thing.

Yeah I'll listen to reviews and if good I'll give a series a shot. But I have about an hour at most every couple of nights so yeah I want something to pull me in and entertain me. This one just didn't. So I'll move on.
ac04
that is a painfully stupid analogy. just stop.
TCTTS
AG
This has to be the weirdest and most disgusting analogy I've ever read. That, and it doesn't even track. No one - not even Mazin - has said that he "baked" anti-Trump "ingredients" INTO the show. I think you guys are taking him WAY too literally. For one, this series was almost assuredly written before Trump even became president. And two, it's pretty apparent that Mazin is speaking in broad, allegorical terms. Not as a literal 1:1 metaphor.
aTmAg
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

aTmAg said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

schmendeler said:

Be gone

To say the first episode was boring, what the heck do you consider action packed?

You remind me of the troll who claimed he turned off Breaking Bad after the season 3 finale.

Wow. Thanks. "Troll" because I don't like thr show as much as you do? Why be an ******* about it? All I said was I found it boring. Definitely would not describe it as action packed. I also said I'm glad y'all are enjoying it. I really wanted to. Guess I'm not a regular on these threads so I'm not welcome to participate though. Got it.
You do realize that you are in a tiny minority, right? IMDB has this show rated #1 (above Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad, etc... which I disagree with.. but it's still damned good). This accident is basically one of the closest we have come to a doomsday scenario in planet history. In the next episode you had guys volunteering to die in order to save millions of people. You are literally the first person I have heard of that called this show boring. And you went out of your way to post that on this thread with nothing more than a single sentence. Yeah.. that's what a troll typically looks like.
BBRex
AG
I thought the first podcast went into the current political climate, and Mazin said most of this was written before Trump was elected, so that didn't play much into the show. But, in a broader political climate where the president talks about "fake news" and some people think the president plays fast and loose with the facts, a show about a government's handling of a difficult truth (or a series of them) had the potential to have more impact than Mazin had thought it might when he wrote the scripts.
DollahBillzYo!
Yeah I figured politics would eventually find its way to this show - too bad. However, this show is doing no favors towards folks who argue for a political or economic system based off the Soviet Union.
FIDO95
AG
I haven't felt that there is any political slant to the series other then to point out the well known problems of the communist party that led to the disaster due to cover ups and the censorship of the story coming out. Anyone thinking this has any resemblance to Trump and/or conservative movement clearly has TDS.

Likewise, anyone claiming that producers and writers political history has now ruined the series for them, is just as deranged. It really is no different then saying you won't eat a chicken sandwich because Chick-fil-A owner supports traditional marriage or you won't visit Disney cause they support gays. People need to stop letting politics ruin a great sandwich and a good vacation.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Phat32
AG
What the hell happened here?

Be gone with the politics talk unless it's ripping communism/USSR.
Robert C. Christian
AG
BBRex said:

I thought the first podcast went into the current political climate, and Mazin said most of this was written before Trump was elected, so that didn't play much into the show. But, in a broader political climate where the president talks about "fake news" and some people think the president plays fast and loose with the facts, a show about a government's handling of a difficult truth (or a series of them) had the potential to have more impact than Mazin had thought it might when he wrote the scripts.

Was going to post this but, you beat me to it.
hunter2012
AG
If Mazin did have a message it's quite ironic given the parallels of the US media with fake news and the soviet obsession with "missinformation" and state accountability.

I honestly don't care what his subtle message or meaning is, it's playing to the opposite in my mind. I see a society where a single party suppresses anything that might hurt their image while all their good intentions only brought about more ruin and misery to their own citizens. It's no one's fault that Mazin can't see the forest from the trees(assuming he has a message about modern politics).

If there is no message then I have greatly enjoyed the series up until now and I look forward to the ending!
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Agreed. I don't think this show is intending to make any statement on the current political climate, other than "the cost of lies". Governments that harm the public due to misinformation/lies is an issue that's as old as civilization.

Anyone who thinks this is directly attacking Trump is just revealing their own insecurities with the current president and his policies.
G Martin 87
AG
Back to more interesting topics....
JSKolache said:

Now i want to see a ***ushima mini series to contrast with a quicker, competent response
From what little I've read, it sounds like ***ushima was a case of a catastrophic natural disaster overwhelming all the safety features of the reactor design. I'm a believer in nuclear energy, but the safety margin is so razor thin; is it possible that the reward truly isn't worth the risk?
JJxvi
AG
G Martin 87 said:

JSKolache said:

From what little I've read, it sounds like ***ushima was a case of a catastrophic natural disaster overwhelming all the safety features of the reactor design. I'm a believer in nuclear energy, but the safety margin is so razor thin; is it possible that the reward truly isn't worth the risk?
I mean technically, we as a species have purposefully instigated supercriticality "accidents" to be dispersed in our atmosphere more than 500 times in the form of bomb testing.

The risks are exaggerated, generally. By far the most "dangerous" power generation we do as a species is hydroelectric which also has similar type maintenance and natural disaster danger. Thousands to hundred of thousands of civilians can (and have in the past) die with a dam failure.
cbr
AG
Trying to figure out how significant nuke radiation is. I mean, we've exploded several thousand nuclear weapons, and had 11 major nuclear accidents.

Chernobyl was the only bad one - 20 times the radiation released than ***ushima.

1.4x10 to the 19th bq.

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2011/09/directly_comparing_***ushima_t.html

Howev, the total planetary natural radiogenic load averages 4.6410-25th Bq

https://isnap.nd.edu/assets/251824/radioactivity_lecture_11.pdf

[img] [/img]

Just trying to figure how how troubling this really is. Looks like its really not that bad except for very locally and temporarily.

G Martin 87
AG
JJxvi said:

G Martin 87 said:

JSKolache said:

I mean technically, we as a species have purposefully instigated supercriticality "accidents" to be dispersed in our atmosphere more than 500 times in the form of bomb testing.
True, with 2 caveats - atmospheric bomb testing is no longer a frequent thing, and those devices were operating as designed. (After all, they were *supposed* to explode.) :-)

Quote:

The risks are exaggerated, generally. By far the most "dangerous" power generation we do as a species is hydroelectric which also has similar type maintenance and natural disaster danger. Thousands to hundred of thousands of civilians can (and have in the past) die with a dam failure.
Also true and a good point. The worst examples being in China, IIRC. Has there been a series or movie about those disasters?
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Got excited to see like 30+ new posts on this thread. Wanted to run into traffic when I realized they had nothing to do with actual show talk. Every. Damn. Time.
dahouse
AG
My morbid curiosity has me disappointed that we don't have any footage of the exposed reactor and nuclear fuel doing it's hot stuff.

In "midnight in Chernobyl" they bring up a couple more "explosions"/fires during the following days.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Jason Ag
AG
The failure of the South Fork dam in the late 1800's killed over 2,000 people and remained the highest single loss of US civilians until 9/11. There are a lot of aspects to it which would make a good miniseries, including men on the dam fighting to save it while it was overtopping, telegraph warning to Johnstown ignored, a guy riding horseback to warn people at South Fork. The flood wave hit a highly industrialized area creating a mass of burning debris, which continued burn as people were still trapped. A women had all of her 11 kids drown. Crazy stuff. Andrew Carnegie was part of the group that owned the dam and felt great guilt. Chernobyl does a great job showing the human perspective. All government issues aside, these were people, and the best and worst of humanity can be seen in such events.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

Got excited to see like 30+ new posts on this thread. Wanted to run into traffic when I realized they had nothing to do with actual show talk. Every. Damn. Time.
Once Wednesday hits, it's probably best to wait until the show airs again if you only want show discussion (and skip everything in between).
bobinator
AG
Didn't get to watch this week's until last night, but another good episode.

I also get why they did it that way because it made the episode a lot bleaker, but it made it look like they were just shooting puppies for no reason other than 'they were radioactive.' They didn't really show how dangerous they were.

The dogs, many of them hungry because their owners had left, were coming up to the workers and the camps and posed a very legitimate radiation threat to the workers why is why the decision was made that they had to be killed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.