Anyone watching Jeopardy?

55,803 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old School Brother
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I want a 5 episode cumulative showdown with just these three guys

Brad
Ken
James

make it happen

double aught
AG
Counterpoint said:

Was Alex crying at the end?
Maybe. He also might've been a tad choked up when talking about the get well card from James' daughter. That was nice to see.
double aught
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

I want a 5 episode cumulative showdown with just these three guys

Brad
Ken
James

make it happen

I think they're pretty clearly the three greatest players ever. Surely they'll face off at some point, hopefully with Alex there.
TriumphForks
AG
third coast.. said:

i hate her and hope she loses tomorrow.
This.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
That's a big part of why I want it - Alex deserves to host that.

He has had great rapport with those three and such admiration.

And they can really do what they want. They opted not to do a regular tournament of champions after Ken's run assuming he would destroy anyone. So they created the "Ultimate TOC" and had 144 players (all 5+ game winners and tournament champs to that date) in a massive tournament that pitted Ken against the top 2 from that tournament Brad Rutter and Jerome Vered (a 5 time champ in pre doubled values days who held the single day record until Ken broke it).

They created the invite only Million Dollar Masters with 15 former champions.
Later they created the Battle of the Decades for the 30th year special.
Then they created this All-star team event last year.

FYI. Brad has never lost (to a human) - winning 5 episodes in his initial run, then winning 5 tournaments: his 18th season TOC, the Million Dollar Masters, the Ultimate TOC, the Decades tournament and the team All-Star. He lost to IBM's Watson in that special event.

Pitting him and Ken against the bigtime gambler would be huge.

bigjag19
AG
Ken of course had an impressive streak but it took a lot of luck. His percentage of final misses was significantly more than James. With the old limit of 5 there's no telling what others may have done in the past as well.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Here is the explanation of the final bets:
https://apple.news/A6o-yQul8TNql3xdnvBqEyQ
TriumphForks
AG
I feel kind of the same way as I do when the Aggies lose. I really wanted him to get the money record.
Big Al 1992
AG
Hitting the DD first pick of the game seemed to get him away from his game. Only bet $1000 instead of having a chance to start running away.
tx1c
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Hitting the DD first pick of the game seemed to get him away from his game. Only bet $1000 instead of having a chance to start running away.
That, and not getting either of the two in DJ.
Rudyjax
AG
George Foyet
Love James's new profile pic
Rudyjax
AG
George Foyet said:

Love James's new profile pic

I lost on Jeopardy, baby.
EMY92
AG
bigjag19 said:

Ken of course had an impressive streak but it took a lot of luck. His percentage of final misses was significantly more than James. With the old limit of 5 there's no telling what others may have done in the past as well.
I was hitting the Final Jeopardy much more frequently in Jame's run than Ken's. I think some of the questions are easier.
fightinags2013
AG
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/jeopardys-james-holzhauer-taxes

Sheesh. That is a lot of dough to Uncle Sam.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
EMY92 said:

bigjag19 said:

I was hitting the Final Jeopardy much more frequently in Jame's run than Ken's. I think some of the questions are easier.

Agreed. I feel like i used to be 50% but during this run I was maybe 80%.

Kens 66% and James 95% or whatever were both about the same amount higher than I would get during those periods.

I think they have been easier for a while.
62strat
AG
Is this the first time he didn't get both double jeopardys? Seems like that is what he relied on.
Big Al 1992
AG
Rudyjax
AG
62strat said:

Is this the first time he didn't get both double jeopardys? Seems like that is what he relied on.
This is the first time he hasn't gotten both that I have seen.

That was the difference.
Aggies76
AG
TriumphForks said:

third coast.. said:

i hate her and hope she loses tomorrow.
This.
I have a strange admiration for her. I thought it was impossible to beat James. I hope she makes a run.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I Am Mine said:

62strat said:

That was the difference.
There are 3 total right?

He got the 1st one but it was on the opening pick so it was pointless - just the 1k.

She got the next 2, doubled up the first one and then bet like 3k on the next one.
JetAg
AG
hph6203 said:

third coast.. said:

What I don't get is his final jeopardy wager. Wtf was that?

Jay: 11,000
James: 23,400
Emma: 26,600

A rational bet by Emma is at least $20,201 (which she does bet), because the maximum James can get is $46,800 and a bet of $20,201 would beat James' maximum by $1 ($46,801). So that takes him buying his way to a win with a big bet out of the equation against Emma, she has to miss the question for him to beat her.

Now James has to hope Emma misses the question and that he maintains the win against Jay whether James is right or wrong. Jay can wager all of his 11,000 to get to 22,000, so the most James can bet, get the question wrong and still win if Jay gets the question right and Emma gets it wrong is $1,399, because it would leave him with 22,001 or $1 more than Jay.

He's trying to maximize his winnings by maximizing his odds of playing another day, rather than maximizing his winnings every day.

Basically he can't beat Emma unless she gets the question wrong, so he just worries about guaranteeing a win against Jay.
Thanks for the explanation, hph.
Rudyjax
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

I Am Mine said:

62strat said:

That was the difference.
There are 3 total right?

He got the 1st one but it was on the opening pick so it was pointless - just the 1k.

She got the next 2, doubled up the first one and then bet like 3k on the next one.
I meant in double jeopardy. You are correct.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Well in 33 games he got 76 of the 99 DDs but I'm not sure how that breaks down in round 1 or 2.

And he got 72 of the 76 correct with an average wager of $8900.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I think that's been the trend for a while; we were talking about it back in April when this thread started. Not sure if it's because the show producers are looking for more repeat winners, or if it's just part of the show's ebb and flow over time.
62strat
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

I Am Mine said:

62strat said:

That was the difference.
There are 3 total right?

This is what I meant.. the double jeopardy daily doubles. The first round is typically not working with a large number, and not going to launch you into a distant first place.

But, figure his average score of 10-2k after first round. Then getting a few answers into double jeopardy, then both daily doubles, that gets him in that 50-70k spot for final, usually way above 2x the next highest person, and impossible for others to catch him w/o an opportunity to double themselves.

Without those two second round daily doubles, he just couldn't get that gap. She robbed him of those DDs, (possibly the first to do so), and beat him as a result of it.
George Foyet
Halfway through the first round and Alex has already mentioned James three times
JD Shellnut
AG
It looked like it pissed the girl off a little when she bet it all on the daily double, and Alex said she took a page out of James book or something.
Old Tom Morris
It absolutely did. She flinched and scrunched her nose up.

She's a good player that could have a nice little run, but I don't expect it to last very long. That was an easy final jeopardy she missed.
Rudyjax
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

She's a good player that could have a nice little run, but I don't expect it to last very long. That was an easy final jeopardy she missed.
Haven't watched today, but she didn't seem as charismatic as James or Ken.
Ghost91
Drifter. said:

It looked like it pissed the girl off a little when she bet it all on the daily double, and Alex said she took a page out of James book or something.

I am watching today's episode right now, and just paused it to come here and post this very thing. Holy cow, awkward. Definitely scrunched her nose and gave a 'look' as another poster said.
Rudyjax
AG
62strat
AG
A Metallica and a Megadeth M. Nice.
Aggie95
AG
I Am Mine said:

Old Tom Morris said:

Haven't watched today, but she didn't seem as charismatic as a hammer...
FIFY
Rudyjax
AG
Aggie95 said:

I Am Mine said:

Old Tom Morris said:

Haven't watched today, but she didn't seem as charismatic as a hammer...
FIFY
My wife today : Is she lesbian?

Not that it matters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.