Anyone watching Jeopardy?

55,001 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old School Brother
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In your defense, you could've done something like this.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
EMY92 said:

Worth watching today. (Haven't seen Final Jeopardy yet)

damn
Bunk Moreland
Wow
Post removed:
by user
Old Tom Morris
Nate was on point with that buzzer.

Finding that last Daily Double. Yuuuuuge.
Post removed:
by user
Liquid Wrench
I really wanted Nate to go all in.
Post removed:
by user
cuz-i-can
AG
Isn't he a professional gambler?
Post removed:
by user
astros4545
AG
I Am Mine said:

In your defense, you could've done something like this.

She looks like Nancy from a stranger Things
cuz-i-can
AG
True. I was thinking more along the lines that he has a good poker face and show producers using that for dramatic effect.
Old Tom Morris
Saw a post on reddit from someone who claims to be the 3rd place contestant today. It was interesting insight into what his competitors go through when meeting him and then seeing him play before your episode gets shot, but exactly what I'd expect.

Quote:

Initial reaction when I met him on the shuttle and before I had any idea he was the "returning champion" was "cool guy! Kinda nerdy! I like him!" Reaction when I found out he was the returning champion who had already won $1.6 million was "oh sht. What have I walked into." Reaction after I watched him play his first game was "OH SHT. IS THIS MAN A JEOPARDY ROBOT." That's when I reconsidered my former position on Daily Doubles
She said that she and Nate agreed they would need to go all in on the DD's. He did on the 1st but went more conservative on the 2nd.
Rudyjax
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Saw a post on reddit from someone who claims to be the 3rd place contestant today. It was interesting insight into what his competitors go through when meeting him, but exactly what I'd expect.

Quote:

Initial reaction when I met him on the shuttle and before I had any idea he was the "returning champion" was "cool guy! Kinda nerdy! I like him!" Reaction when I found out he was the returning champion who had already won $1.6 million was "oh sht. What have I walked into." Reaction after I watched him play his first game was "OH SHT. IS THIS MAN A JEOPARDY ROBOT." That's when I reconsidered my former position on Daily Doubles
She said that she and Nate agreed they would need to go all in on the DD's. He did on the 1st but went more conservative on the 2nd.

If Nate goes all in on the second one he wins.
Stive
AG
I knew that shot multiple games each day but I didn't realize that the contestants in games two, three, four and so on got to watch the games before them. That seems like it would lend itself to people strategizing against a player's style (like she alluded to about she and Nate going all in). If they've never seen him play before they wouldn't make that call.
Old Tom Morris
Related to the earlier debate on how far back the taping is, she said this one was taped on March 5.

But yeah, the Wednesday-Friday contestants have an increasing advantage from getting to see him beforehand and strategize, plus just him wearing down by having to shoot 5 in one day. I've also seen (which someone mentioned earlier) how the champs that win a couple are almost relieved to lose because they are totally wiped out after 2-3 episodes are taped.
Liquid Wrench
third coast.. said:

Yea but I'm not sure what that has to do with acting like he doesn't have the right answer. He doesn't gain an edge or anything.

I think it comes into play with risk acceptance and wagering skills.

Doesn't take away anything from his breadth of knowledge and buzzer speed.
Counterpoint
AG
When will James start facing contestants that have seen his episodes on TV?

Also, do contestants know about Alex's cancer diagnosis yet?

Counterpoint
AG
third coast.. said:

I'm talking about in final jeopardy after the other players answers have been revealed. Yesterday he looked like he was in pain but he knew the whole way that he won. I see that pretty regularly I feel like.
Yes, and he especially hams it up in the games he could potentially lose. Well, there's only been two of those I think, but I really noticed it those times. I really thought he had lost the first time he did that.

Bunk Moreland
I knew he had it in the bag when he was doing his "The Thinker" pose when they pan the contestants right at the end of the song.
Big Al 1992
AG
I hate that 2nd and 3rd onlynget $1000 or $2000 predetermined. I thought they used to take home whatever they won. That makes the wagering a little more interesting as they might not be so aggressive - or could be very aggressive - because they want a few more bucks to take home as a consolation.
07ag
AG
Counterpoint said:

per that reddit thread, yesterday's episode was filmed march 5th. holzauer's reign began on april 4th. so we're probably at least a month away from that happening, longer for contestants who understand his dominance
https://ts.la/eric59704
07ag
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

I hate that 2nd and 3rd onlynget $1000 or $2000 predetermined. I thought they used to take home whatever they won. That makes the wagering a little more interesting as they might not be so aggressive - or could be very aggressive - because they want a few more bucks to take home as a consolation.
they do that because back in original jeopardy, some contestants would just stop answering questions once they reached a goal amount, rather than risk any of it
Post removed:
by user
07ag
AG
third coast.. said:

And when is the season over? Also, if Alex doesn't make it back next season, could it throw James off. Idk where I read it, but I saw something that talked about learning his cadence when reading questions really helping out the best players.
https://gameshows.fandom.com/wiki/Jeopardy!/Airdates

looks like end of july
BrazosDog02
AG
I have all of these recorded but haven't read this whole thread. So the strategy here is not just a strategy.

Burn up the big dollar clues to build your win early leaving small dollars for contestants. Before long, they can't mathematically catch up. And it wrecks their morale.

Be super quick on the buzzer.

Be super smart with most. Categories and be able to recall clues quickly.

Bet big on double jeopardy because you are super smart.

Did I get that right ? I know there are some nuances but I cannot figure how he comes up with his numbers for betting. I suspect he just makes up a number that sounds like he's crazy smart in betting and math which has to wreck the other contestants game. In other words he wants to bet 15,000 but bets 14,873.

??? What else am I missing ? Seems his advantage is understanding betting but mostly he's just ****ing smart.
Stive
AG
I think his weird bets are key dates (anniversary, the Las Vegas shooting, wife's birthday, etc)
Rudyjax
AG
third coast.. said:

And when is the season over? Also, if Alex doesn't make it back next season, could it throw James off. Idk where I read it, but I saw something that talked about learning his cadence when reading questions really helping out the best players.

It's Based on a light that activates their buzzers. If you ring in too early it locks them out for x time. They have to time it based on the light. And figuring that out is the real challenge.
'03ag
I Am Mine said:

third coast.. said:

It's Based on a light that activates their buzzers. If you ring in too early it locks them out for x time. They have to time it based on the light. And figuring that out is the real challenge.
Yes but the light comes on after Trebek is done reading. Some players have said they learned to anticipate the light based on Trebek's cadence.
Post removed:
by user
Stive
AG
Yes
Counterpoint
AG
07ag said:

Counterpoint said:

per that reddit thread, yesterday's episode was filmed march 5th. holzauer's reign began on april 4th. so we're probably at least a month away from that happening, longer for contestants who understand his dominance

Thanks!
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.