Anyone watching Jeopardy?

55,801 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old School Brother
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I never guessed a jeopardy thread would be getting a page full of posts a day.
AgPediRPh
AG
SPOILER ALERT (because apparently we need that now)

James mentioned that he will be donating a lot to charity because the Holzhauer family is financially secure. I wonder if he was already rich before gambling/Jeopardy. It would make sense why he is so willing to bet big.
Rudyjax
AG
jjmanzano said:

SPOILER ALERT (because apparently we need that now)

James mentioned that he will be donating a lot to charity because the Holzhauer family is financially secure. I wonder if he was already rich before gambling/Jeopardy. It would make sense why he is so willing to bet big.
Yesterday's show. No need for a spoiler.

Definitely higher middle class taking family vacations to the Bahamas.
UnderoosAg
AG
[Stop. -Staff]
double aught
AG
Bravo, staff
Post removed:
by user
NE PA Ag
I'm a huge Jeopardy fan and I avoided this thread until I caught up on a few of James' episodes. It's in the news so much that I already know he gets 3 more of the top scores ever. Since it's so visible elsewhere, it doesn't matter to me any more.

I've tried the online test about 6 times, including the other day, but I was called in for an audition a few years back. It was fun, but also pretty intense. You have to take a second 50 question written test that is very similar to the online test, but I feel like it was harder than any of the online attempts I've made. Then there is a kind of quick interview, where you start to get into personal stuff, especially to see if you have some good stories for the interview time. Finally, you play mock games against the other folks there, with the signaling device and everything. That's after the written test where you don't answer in the form of a question, but in the mock games you do.

I thought I did well on the interview and mock game I participated in. I answered more of the questions than the other two people I played against. I did not feel good at all about the written test. Needless to say, even if you do really well with everything there, you likely still won't get called back to be on the show, so I walked out predicting that and of course didn't get called. In the article posted, James said he didn't make it to the show until the third audition try.
Rudyjax
AG
I signed up for the online test. I took the mock practice test and didn't do as well as I could've. Some I knew right away, others took longer to think about it.

I decided Jeopardy is not in my future.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
NY Ag said:

I'm a huge Jeopardy fan and I avoided this thread until I caught up on a few of James' episodes. It's in the news so much that I already know he gets 3 more of the top scores ever. Since it's so visible elsewhere, it doesn't matter to me any more.

I've tried the online test about 6 times, including the other day, but I was called in for an audition a few years back. It was fun, but also pretty intense. You have to take a second 50 question written test that is very similar to the online test, but I feel like it was harder than any of the online attempts I've made. Then there is a kind of quick interview, where you start to get into personal stuff, especially to see if you have some good stories for the interview time. Finally, you play mock games against the other folks there, with the signaling device and everything. That's after the written test where you don't answer in the form of a question, but in the mock games you do.

I thought I did well on the interview and mock game I participated in. I answered more of the questions than the other two people I played against. I did not feel good at all about the written test. Needless to say, even if you do really well with everything there, you likely still won't get called back to be on the show, so I walked out predicting that and of course didn't get called. In the article posted, James said he didn't make it to the show until the third audition try.

I did the Who Wants to be a Millionaire tryout years ago (maybe 2009). This was after the primetime run - so Meredith Vieira timeframe in syndication.

I passed the online test then got invited (my cost) to NY for audition and test. Similar experience as yours - another test there timed and in a big group. From that the ones that passed (maybe 20 of us) then went to interviews with people from the show - I would call them like production staffers.

I was notified that I made the cut that day and was put on the list for that season - but my timing was probably bad it was near the end of that season and they said they might not get through all the qualified contestants already on the list. Was told to just wait for a call - but if I received no call by some date then it meant I wasn't going to be on that season. And they indicated they did not rollover contestants from one season to the next.

Oh well. It was fun.

Liquid Wrench
Rudyjax said:

I signed up for the online test. I took the mock practice test and didn't do as well as I could've. Some I knew right away, others took longer to think about it.

I decided Jeopardy is not in my future.
I find that just shocking.
NE PA Ag
I can't remember now if they got our test scores from that day first and culled the group or not. After you mentioned they did this on Millionaire, it made me start to think that's how it went for Jeopardy, but I distinctly remember not feeling good at all about the written test. Everyone was very nice and helpful there, that's for sure.

I was also lucky because NYC was one of the audition sites the year I was called, so I walked to the audition. If I get lucky and am called back this time, it will be in Boston. At least I can drive up and back that day though. I'd have a hard time justifying a flight, hotel and rental car cost for a tryout with such a small chance of getting selected. You probably had somewhat better odds for Millionaire though.
watty
AG
I just took the Jeopardy practice test online and got 12/30 correct. I think I'm ready for prime time!
watty
AG
17/30 on the teen jeopardy practice test. So I'm even dumb for a teen.
Liquid Wrench
They had a Teen Jeopardy tryout in Houston when I was in high school. My dear sweet mother insisted I go, since I was addicted to the show and the Teen episodes looked so easy. Hundreds of nice little honor students showed up for the written test, and they were going to ask the top 3 scores to stay for a live game to pick contestants for the show.

By the end of the written test most of us just looked around and started laughing after realizing how absurdly different the test was from what we saw on TV. The staff only asked 2 to stay and I'm not sure if either one made it to the show.
investorAg83
AG
I did worse on the college one than the regular one. Far worse. 8 vs 14.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I just got 19 on the adult test.... hmmmm..... was blank on the other 11 no clue. but i knew what i knew.

feeling rather dumb now. lol.
Rudyjax
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

I just got 19 on the adult test.... hmmmm..... was blank on the other 11 no clue. but i knew what i knew.

feeling rather dumb now. lol.

That's what I got. A couple came to me after the time expired. As I get older pop culture gets harder for me.
Redstone
AG
Thank you Staff for keeping this thread clean.
Tanya 93
I got 23 correct. But it was many literature, art, music, and baseball questions.
fightinags2013
AG
Dude is unbelievable
Post removed:
by user
Liquid Wrench
*SPOILERS AHEAD*

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comments/bh9n00/jeopardy_recap_for_thur_apr_25/
Rudyjax
AG
90k.

It was someone, probably a kids birthday.
double aught
AG
He beats the old one day record pretty much every day now.
aTmAg
AG
So I was watching a video about this, and the interview mentioned another contestant who had never been beaten (except by an IBM computer). How is that possible? I thought you stayed on the show until you lost. That not true?
Post removed:
by user
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep. Brad Rutter. He won in 2000 when a repeat champion was limited to 5 appearances. They put in the unlimited change in 2003 and Ken Jennings went on his streak in 2004. Rutter has won every tournament of champions he's appeared in since then, including some "masters" tournaments where he beat Jennings. He did do the 2 day challenge against IBM Watson and Jennings, and he finished behind Jennings in that one. That's the only time he's finished behind a human, but they don't technically count it - which is understandable since one's strategy may be different when trying to challenge Watson.
Redstone
AG
Brad, contestant in early 2000s, was limited to 5 wins, they changed the rules shortly before Jennings
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Redstone said:

Brad, contestant in early 2000s, was limited to 5 wins, they changed the rules shortly before Jennings

I think they should have limited it all along - to 1 more than the previous record holder. it gets a little boring with the same person really.

Fairview
AG
Stive
AG
Wow
Rudyjax
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Redstone said:

I think they should have limited it all along - to 1 more than the previous record holder. it gets a little boring with the same person really.

Really? I'm more interested than I was normally. Like, Id watch I happened to catch it. Now it's the first show at night I watch.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Rudyjax said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Redstone said:

Really? I'm more interested than I was normally. Like, Id watch I happened to catch it. Now it's the first show at night I watch.

I meant once they claim the record. He is still chasing Jennings for all-time wins.

I meant had Brad been allowed to set a record without a limit then any contestant can go 1 more show than Brad. And Jennings eventually could go one more show than whoever..... or 5 more whatever you want but some limit.

I'm saying you would tire of this guy after 79 episodes..... I didn't care about Jennings much after he broke the record of 8 wins....up through about 20 was interesting.....then it just became repetitive and I only watched again when i heard he lost.

Rudyjax
AG
You may like this story.

Josh Hutcherson's little brother worshiped Ken. His brother even had a poster of Ken in his room. Josh was filming Zathura in the same studio so their parents for his brothers birthday got him tickets to see if filmed.

It was the episode Ken lost.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
awesome!!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.