Anyone watching Jeopardy?

55,769 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old School Brother
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No one has played like him before and he's changing the game completely.

Wonder how long the show will last with a new host and Thai strategy.

The guy who lost on Monday had the 7th highest score ever.
hph6203
AG
He's going to kill Jeopardy potentially, because what he's doing is t that unreasonable. He's building a bank and an advantage over other opponents and then gambling those gains early with the understanding that there's a lot of game left to play. It won't work for average competitors, but for above average competitors it's a game changer.
Rudyjax
AG
He's a top 3 -5 player all time but has much better game strategy.

I'm actually getting good at guessing what he'll wager.
OldArmy71
AG
I've been a big fan of Jeopardy for many years, though I don't watch often these days. I watched today to see what the hubbub was all about. It was boring to watch him answer almost all the questions. They need to go back to some sort of limits on winning.
Rudyjax
AG

Adam is my age. **** I'm old!!
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

It won't work for average competitors
That's the thing. His strategy isn't all that revolutionary, it's just that normal contestants can dig themselves a big hole if they go for the high dollar questions before they understand the categories.

A lot of coverage has been about his strategy, but that almost downplays how quick he is in figuring out the categories, getting the clues, buzzing in first, and then just knowing so many random facts.

Your average nerd has some strong subjects and some weak subjects. He's said that he's about a mile wide and inch deep, he just studies a lot to learn facts and trivia. He goes to the children's section of the library to pick up books that simply explain and illustrate things in subjects where he's week. That's probably the strategy that's so different than anything else I've heard from past J! contestants.
Rudyjax
AG
jjmanzano said:

Rudyjax said:

I had no clue on the final jeopardy.
Do you know of another business booster group? That one was celebrity Jeopardy easy.

I have no idea why I heard it and read it as such, but I had no clue what a business rooster group was and why you guys knew the Chambers of Commerce emblem was a rooster.

If you read it as booster, it makes sense.
If you read it as rooster, it makes none and is a very hard question.

I think I have a brain condition.
double aught
AG
Another 100K for James today.

I think Alex said the teacher tourney starts Monday, so he'll get a break after Friday.
Big Al 1992
AG
May have already been noted, butI thought when he said Vegas Strong and bet a weird amount it was just a shout out to his fellow gamblers.
He says Vegas Strong and actually bets $10,117.
Or 10-1-17 the day of the Vegas shooting. Nice gesture.
Bunk Moreland
Yesterday's game was interesting early. The other guy swept a category that James opened up with the $1000 clue and then got 1 or 2 more $1k answers early on. James seemed a bit frustrated getting his clicker timing down or something, but the other guy couldn't find the DD and to be honest I'm not sure he would have had the balls to press immediately had he found it. Ultimately James found it later in the round, pressed, hit, and off to the races for DJ.

He's going to need 2 very fast and smart opponents that also are skilled with the clicker timing & get unlucky finding daily doubles to be beaten
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Through 21 episodes, he's averaging $76,600 per show. If he keeps winning, will Jeopardy put some sort of contingent in, a max # of episodes can be on or a hard cap on earnings?

I'm sure they are loving the ratings boost (11% nationwide, up to 50% in some areas), but even that will eventually die down. Does Jeopardy have AI bots behind the scenes recording the categories he struggles with to concoct some sort of impossible board for him down the stretch when they tired of him winning everyday?
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, I thought he was in trouble early because the guy's clicker game seemed so strong. Also, James won $1000 on his first buzz-in, but after the guy ran the category, James buzzed in and missed a question (which only happens about once per game) taking him back to $0. It seemed like the guy's early run had James flustered and buzzing in when he normally wouldn't have, but to your point, then he settled down and rolled. That said, I think he buzzed and missed more questions yesterday than I can recall; I think it ended up 3 or 4.
aggietony2010
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Through 21 episodes, he's averaging $76,600 per show. If he keeps winning, will Jeopardy put some sort of contingent in, a max # of episodes can be on or a hard cap on earnings?

I'm sure they are loving the ratings boost (11% nationwide, up to 50% in some areas), but even that will eventually die down. Does Jeopardy have AI bots behind the scenes recording the categories he struggles with to concoct some sort of impossible board for him down the stretch when they tired of him winning everyday?

There was an article about this. He's making more per episode than Trebek.
62strat
AG
Using the term 'vegas strong' to shout out to fellow gamblers?? hah. That would be pretty ignorant.
MooreTrucker
AG
62strat said:

Using the term 'vegas strong' to shout out to fellow gamblers?? hah. That would be pretty ignorant.
"He says Vegas Strong and actually bets $10,117.

Or 10-1-17 the day of the Vegas shooting. Nice gesture."
62strat
AG
MooreTrucker said:

62strat said:

"He says Vegas Strong and actually bets $10,117.

Or 10-1-17 the day of the Vegas shooting. Nice gesture."

Yeh.. I was replying to who you quoted.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
man i've known the Final Jeopardy question 5 days in a row.

Bunk Moreland
I hate myself for not being able to get to that final 'question' today. I was going through so many options in my head and of course it's the one that is most practical to the clue. Was overthinking it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Boo the teacher tournament.
Liquid Wrench
DannyDuberstein said:

Boo the teacher tournament.
I'm ready to feel smart again for a couple weeks.

I couldn't even come up w/ today's FJ. James takes me out of my game.
cuz-i-can
AG
Teen jeopardy always trips me up because I don't follow pop culture.
Counterpoint
AG
Welcome back, everyone!
Post removed:
by user
Bunk Moreland
alright. guns up; let's do this. LEEEROOYYYYY
Stive
AG
He's averaging $77,561 per day. It's amazing to watch.

If he keeps that up and breaks Jennings games record he'll have won more than $5.7 million. Perspective? Jennings won just over $2.5 million during his 74 wins.
Rudyjax
AG
Stive said:

He's averaging $77,561 per day. It's amazing to watch.

If he keeps that up and breaks Jennings games record he'll have won more than $5.7 million. Perspective? Jennings won just over $2.5 million during his 74 wins.

Their game play is very similar. The difference is Ken wagered conservatively on DJ and Fianl Jeopardy and James doesn't.

He's changed how the game is played but most can't dominate like him.

That Canadian teacher today was smart and hot.
Fairview
AG
Rudyjax said:

That Canadian teacher today was smart and hot.

Yes! Her name is Mary Peace.

So close to a bikini pic (I know the Facebook pic won't embed)...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154852179991933&set=a.414231031932&type=3&sfns=mo
Rudyjax
AG
Yikes. Stalker much?
Fairview
AG
Just doing what I can for the board to keep it interesting.
Stive
AG
Woooo........today.....

EMY92
AG
Worth watching today. (Haven't seen Final Jeopardy yet)
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.