Better Call Saul season 5 delayed until 2020

153,752 Views | 1220 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Better Call Saul" remains one of the best series currently airing on TV. A spin-off of what many consider one of the best series of all time, "Breaking Bad," 'Saul' has carved out its own path and become something similar, but also very different than its predecessor. And after the most recent fourth season of the series continued to wow audiences last fall, fans have been desperately seeking out news on what lies ahead. And according to one AMC executive, those fans are going to be in for a longer wait than usual to find out what happens next.
Speaking in a new interview with Vulture, Sarah Barnett, president of the entertainment networks group at AMC Networks, said that Season 5 of "Better Call Saul" is happening, obviously. But unfortunately, the series won't have any new episodes until 2020.
She addressed the cause of the delay, saying, "Yes. It's driven by talent needs, which we would not override if it would result in a worse show."
As for the end of the series, AMC remains mum on the details. However, Barnett joked that we all know the ending anyway, "Well, we know clearly the end was already written before the beginning began. [Laughs.] The writers, they have a very particular, very clear sense of the arc of their show."
Now, we still don't know when the end of "Better Call Saul" will be coming, but the exec said, "We're certainly getting closer to it."
For now, fans of the "Breaking Bad" spin-off will have to wait until 2020 to see what lies ahead for the characters, and just when we'll begin to see even more of that crossover between "Better Call Saul" and the story of Walter White.

elfurioso92
AG
Hurry up guys, Mike isn't getting any younger.
EllisCoAg
The Collective
AG
Big Cat `93
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
2019 is already a pretty jam packed year, so not the biggest deal.

2020 will see the return of Westworld and Better Call Saul.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

"Yes. It's driven by talent needs, which we would not override if it would result in a worse show."
What does this mean, exactly? Does Odenkirk have a full docket of films scheduled, or is this Vince and Peter putting other projects ahead of BCS?

I wish American "premium" television could work on planned, fixed schedules like the BBC does. It almost seems like it's becoming a bit of a gimmick for every show to be "worth waiting for."
expresswrittenconsent
I couldn't remember so I looked up the previous season air dates:
S1 Feb-apr 2015
S2 Feb-apr 2016
S3 April-June 2017
S4 Aug-Oct 2018
oragator

2 years to crank out 10 episodes. The downside of the golden age of tv.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

2019 is already a pretty jam packed year, so not the biggest deal.

2020 will see the return of Westworld and Better Call Saul.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was almost relieved, in fact, when I read this news. TV in 2019 is about to get CRAZY through pretty much the end of the year. Let's save some goodness for 2020.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
But I watch so very little network television anymore.......and BCS was my absolute favorite.
Liquid Wrench
GiveEmHellBill said:

But I watch so very little network television anymore.......and BCS was my absolute favorite.
Same. BCS and GoT are pretty much my only regular new TV shows now. I guess maybe Westworld, but I don't know if my interest will hold whenever that finally returns. The way they stretch out on the golden era premium shows, I'm down to caring what's on like 10 days a year.
91_Aggie
AG
Considering the hot mess of season 2 of Westworld not sure why people are excited about a season 3 of it
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Bull*****

TCTTS
AG
91_Aggie said:

Considering the hot mess of season 2 of Westworld not sure why people are excited about a season 3 of it
Gigem314
AG
Quote:

"Yes. It's driven by talent needs, which we would not override if it would result in a worse show."
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

91_Aggie said:

It was pretty enough, but it felt like the writers were just trying to show you how clever they were every episode. Their entire goal was to make you feel the way Bernard looked the entire season.

91_Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

91_Aggie said:

I can definitely see those who have the personality of "Well, I just understand the nuances and artistic style the showrunners were trying to achieve, and I know there are the masses that just can't comprehend what I can because I really understand this" would pretend to like season 2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You seem pretty upset that you didn't understand season 2.
expresswrittenconsent
91_Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

91_Aggie said:

I can definitely see those who have the personality of "Well, I just understand the nuances and artistic style the showrunners were trying to achieve, and I know there are the masses that just can't comprehend what I can because I really understand this" would pretend to like season 2.

You seem to be in the group that cant quite communicate with written words the thoughts that are happening in your brain.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hey, dummies. This is a BCS thread. Take your nerd argument elsewhere.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Junkhead said:

Hey, dummies. This is a BCS thread. Take your nerd argument elsewhere.
seriously. WTF.

and also disappointed on the delay. i know other great shows have had long gaps between seasons too but the BCS gaps really just seem to kill its momentum for me. (but still I'll eagerly wait out the return)
TCTTS
AG
Technically, it's a thread about no BCS, so the thread thus created can be about anything, in attempt to fill the void.

91_Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You seem pretty upset that you didn't understand season 2.
Oh I understood it. It's not that difficult to understand such a stupid premise.... but some one you think it was so genius.
91_Aggie
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

91_Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

91_Aggie said:

You seem to be in the group that cant quite communicate with written words the thoughts that are happening in your brain.
It seems as if you enjoyed the mess that was season 2 of westworld, you'd enjoy that sentence structure above.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ah, so it was a hot mess, but also easy to understand, got it.

At least keep your arguments straight.
91_Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ah, so it was a hot mess, but also easy to understand, got it.

At least keep your arguments straight.
You aren't very smart, are you?
Liquid Wrench
Why do people get defensive about TV shows? It's not like any of us were involved in the production. People can have different opinions and like some seasons more than others.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Bull*****

See Football forum !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
GiveEmHellBill
AG

I've gotta wait another year for Nacho? I found his storyline as interesting as Saul or Mike.
TCTTS
AG
If it's any consolation, it doesn't sound like it'll be another full year. I doubt they'll wait 'til late summer/fall 2020 to release it (the time of year when season 4 released). My impression is that it'll at least be at some point in the first half of 2020, back around the time of year the first two seasons released - February-sih - though I could be wrong.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Weird thing is that today is day 1 of them back on the set per Rhea Seehorn's IG.
TCTTS
AG
That's super weird. Seems like they could easily be ready to premiere the show by August again, if not fall at the latest. In fact, by cable standards, this almost seems early to start filming for a second-half-of-the-year release. For instance, Ozark's next season doesn't start filming for another couple of weeks, for a fall release, and they obviously have to have ALL episodes complete before the season premieres, where as shows like Better Call Saul are still filming latter episodes as the first few episodes are beginning to air. This makes no sense given the recent news, yet, yeah, Seehorn's IG definitely confirms it...
TCTTS
AG
Rereading the article in the OP, the delay is purportedly due to "talent needs," which to me sounds like scheduling conflicts. So maybe certain actors can't film their scenes until later in the year?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.