*** YESTERDAY *** (Danny Boyle Beatles Movie)

24,518 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Raptor
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just watched it on my SW flight last week. Really liked it.
oragator
Watched it tonight on hbo, was as good on second viewing.
Sad that movies like this don't get more attention.
I could watch the scene where he plays yesterday over and over again, just love the idea of good music just being good music, regardless of when where or who is singing it. It's timeless. There's something comforting in that for some reason.
ApachePilot
AG
I've watched this movie twice but watched several scenes a few times and really loved this movie. I especially love when he sits in that meeting and they trash on all the album names and cover ideas he has which of course are famous Beatle albums.

I think if you appreciate and love the Beatles this movie is even better.

Yesterday
Long and winding road
Something

Some of my all time favorite songs.
double aught
AG
Well I saw this today on HBO finally. I had wanted to make it to the theater but two young kids make it difficult. Just a really lovely enjoyable movie. It's nice to see the occasional original idea in this age of sequels, remakes etc.
oragator
Deleted scene. Apparently the woman there was meant to be the third part of the love triangle (his temptation), but they completely cut her out. So this scene had to go.

TCTTS
AG
I'm sorry, but did you just refer to Ana de Armas as "the woman there"?

The Milkman
AG
oragator said:

Deleted scene. Apparently the woman there was meant to be the third part of the love triangle (his temptation), but they completely cut her out. So this scene had to go.

Lily James and Ana de Armas. That's a love triangle that I'd like to be a part of and one I'm sure my wife would understand.
oragator
They put Ana in the trailer and she wasn't in the movie, so there's a lawsuit.

Ana de Armas fans told they can sue over Yesterday trailer https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64076747
AgHawkeye
AG
oragator said:

Ana de Armas fans told they can sue over Yesterday trailer https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64076747

5 million dollars because an actress you like did not appear in the film. Man I really try to give people the benefit of the doubt and believe most people are general decent but damn some humans really make it hard.
jackie childs
oragator said:

wow...did we just learn that Quad Dog is litigious?

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3020619/replies/54612505
lethalninja
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3352117
G Martin 87
AG
AgHawkeye said:

oragator said:

5 million dollars because an actress you like did not appear in the film. Man I really try to give people the benefit of the doubt and believe most people are general decent but damn some humans really make it hard.
This suit is ridiculous. But count me in if there's a class action suit against Rian Johnson for The Last Jedi.
JCRiley09
AG
Can I sue disney for the tie fighter not being at the end of the catwalk in rogue one?
MW03
AG
MW03 said:

That looks incredible. Came in prepared to privately roll my eyes at all of you, but damnit if that doesn't look amazing. Also, Lily James.

Well, it took about 5 years, but I finally watched this while home sick with the flu. I have never been a Beatles fan. I never understood the fandom. Their importance? Absolutely. But not the crazy avid Beatles fan.

As I wrote way back when, I was prepared to mock it. The trailer looked good, but I forgot about it. So when it popped up on Amazon with a recommendation, it jogged my memory and I thought "Why not?"

As a movie, I thought it was pretty clever. I liked the characters and thought the acting and story was great. What I'm most surprised about is how it helped me understand the avid Beatles fan. I'm not exactly sure why, but it makes a lot more sense to me now. That music was so ubiquitous on the "oldies" stations growing up that it afforded a punk teenager like me the opportunity to be blas about it. I don't think I've ever truly thought about what it would be like to hear those songs for the first time and without it being accompanied by some well meaning super fan there to tell you how important or transformative or transcendent they all were. It's like with movies. Someone in a film class will show you Citizen Kane or The Producer or something, but before they will tell you about how important it is. So you watch it and the whole time you're kind of like .... that's it?

I'm not sure a move this old needs spoiler tags, but I'll add them anyway. I nearly rolled my eyes after all when he looked up John Lennon. I thought it was a corny way to give him closure being okay with coopting the music. What caught me off gaurd was how cool it was for this man who had taken advice through Lennon and McCartney's lyrics his whole life then get the same advice in person from the same man, even though he was different versoin. Something about that resonated hard with me. That it's the person, regardless the fame or title or wealth or whatever, is a phenomenal concept.

Anyway, two thumbs up. Cool concept, solid story, excellent execution. Well worth the time.
oragator
I said something similar above, what comes through more than anything in the movie is how good the music truly is. And then put it in the 60's when nothing even remotely like it had been heard before. As I said in my previous post, it was this scene that really got me, hearing it for the first time again through the other actors makes me truly appreciate it for how great it truly is. The Long and Winding Road scene to a lesser extent also.

DallasTeleAg
Been said before, but the thing that took biggest suspension of disbelief in a movie where the history of the Beatles randomly disappears overnight is that anyone would put Lily James in the friend zone. Especially this character.

I found the main character to be completely unlikeable, and not just because he friend-zoned Lily James.
DannyDuberstein
AG
^
|
Dominic West agrees. Dude cheated on his wife to get some Lily poon
TXAG 05
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Been said before, but the thing that took biggest suspension of disbelief in a movie where the history of the Beatles randomly disappears overnight is that anyone would put Lily James in the friend zone. Especially this character.

I found the main character to be completely unlikeable, and not just because he friend-zoned Lily James.

Even the friend/road manager has a line like, "I never understood what you didn't see in her" or something like that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks for the thread bump! I finally got around to watching this one. I actually also appreciate it way more now than I would have back in 2019. Have listened to more Beatles the past 3 years than ever before that for me. Grew up with the 1 album on CD and loved it, listened to and knew some of the other songs as well back in the day, but I'd say only in the last few years have I really gotten into them.

Anyways, I liked the movie but think I liked it mainly for the Beatles factor. If I step back, movie wise, it's just okay at best. Fun movie but really could have been even better.
aTmAg
AG
Weird... I eye rolled the whole time. Especially when he first played Yesterday in the other dimension and that girl nearly had an orgasm over it. I guess that song is okay... But not orgasmic by any stretch.

And how he met those people who remembered the Beatles, and they acted thankful like he was Jesus bringing "the word" to the masses. Give me a break. Rather then merely say, "I thought I was going insane being the only person I knew that remembered the Beatles.. now I found somebody else that remembers them too!" Then try to figure out what the heck happened. Not act like the music itself is bigger than the WTF time dimension thing that they just experienced.
taxpreparer
AG
My dad was very anti-Beatles. In 1975, we were together in my car and I played Yesterday from my 8 track. I asked what he thought of this song, without telling him who the group was. He loved it and admitted they did have some good music. I cannot say he ever liked I Wanna Hold Your Hand."
aTmAg
AG
taxpreparer said:

My dad was very anti-Beatles. In 1975, we were together in my car and I played Yesterday from my 8 track. I asked what he thought of this song, without telling him who the group was. He loved it and admitted they did have some good music. I cannot say he ever liked I Wanna Hold Your Hand."
Yeah, I wanna hold your hand and yellow submarine are among the worst songs I can think of.
TXAG 05
AG
If Yesterday, the most covered song of all time, and considered one of the greatest of all time, is "just ok" I'd love to know what songs you consider worthy.
aTmAg
AG
I'm sure "happy birthday" is performed way more often than Yesterday. That doesn't make it great.

And to answer your question: The Aggie War Hymn.
DallasTeleAg
TXAG 05 said:

If Yesterday, the most covered song of all time, and considered one of the greatest of all time, is "just ok" I'd love to know what songs you consider worthy.
It's a good song. But hearing it for the first time didn't change my life. The reaction in the movie really is extreme and kind of cringe. Greatest of all time? You do realize others have different taste in music, don't you?

The first time I heard Time, I was actually floored by the lyrics and they still have an impact on me to this day. But I wouldn't assume everyone in the world who hears Time would feel the same as I do. I also didn't react to that song the same way they do in the movie to Yesterday, even though it is probably the one song that has had the biggest impact on me of any other song. It literally was a catalyst to me making a big change in my life.
Moral High Horse
This is a movie that could have been much more than a rom com. It had a great premise that was wasted. I thought the movie was well shot but the story towards the end got a little corny. Being chased down by a movie exec? Really?

I propose it should have been soley about a man coming to terms that he was never going to being a rock star. The end. The love interest deal should have been well in the background.

Needs a Snyder cut of this movie. Who knows.
Rudyjax
AG
Moral High Horse said:

This is a movie that could have been much more than a rom com. It had a great premise that was wasted. I thought the movie was well shot but the story towards the end got a little corny. Being chased down by a movie exec? Really?

I propose it should have been soley about a man coming to terms that he was never going to being a rock star. The end. The love interest deal should have been well in the background.

Needs a Snyder cut of this movie. Who knows.
They cut the romance aspect to it.
Rudyjax
AG
aTmAg said:

I'm sure "happy birthday" is performed way more often than Yesterday. That doesn't make it great.

You mean a song that is just changed lyrics of Hello My Coney Island baby?
bagger05
AG
I remember hearing "Yesterday" for the first time. It was when I was a kid and they were doing The Beatles Anthology specials on ABC.

I was transfixed. I remember specifically being mesmerized by Paul playing left handed.

I asked for The Beatles Anthology 1 for Christmas that year and got it on cassette. I was always a casual fan after that.

Interestingly, the movie Yesterday reignited my interest. My fiancee and I went and saw it together and really enjoyed it. I'd recently gotten her a record player and we got the Beatles #1s on vinyl. Now we have quite a few albums that are in our rotation on the record player, we did "All My Loving" as our first dance at our wedding... I really got to where I'm a pretty big fan.

Now I go through a Beatles kick every year when they do the Top 100 countdown on the Beatles XM station on Memorial Day weekend. I've gotten to where I look forward to it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome. We currently have the Revolver album on the wall in our rotating record display. Actually turned it around because we liked the back cover a lot.

aTmAg
AG
Rudyjax said:

aTmAg said:

You mean a song that is just changed lyrics of Hello My Coney Island baby?
Yes. The lyrics make it the greatest song ever.
AgHawkeye
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

TXAG 05 said:

It's a good song. But hearing it for the first time didn't change my life. The reaction in the movie really is extreme and kind of cringe. Greatest of all time? You do realize others have different taste in music, don't you?

The first time I heard Time, I was actually floored by the lyrics and they still have an impact on me to this day. But I wouldn't assume everyone in the world who hears Time would feel the same as I do. I also didn't react to that song the same way they do in the movie to Yesterday, even though it is probably the one song that has had the biggest impact on me of any other song. It literally was a catalyst to me making a big change in my life.

I felt the point in the movie was this is your friend who you have been supporting for a long time trying to make it in music. Sure he has some decent songs that you like more than you should because he is your friend but you probably know deep down he is not going to "make it" and then out of nowhere he throws down Yesterday while missing a tooth and you are like I have been listening to all that other crap when you had this.

I enjoyed the movie and that scene actually just for trying to put yourself in the place of the characters. The song by itself doesn't get that reaction but your friend who you have known trying to make good music busting it out does.
Rudyjax
AG
AgHawkeye said:

DallasTeleAg said:

TXAG 05 said:

I felt the point in the movie was this is your friend who you have been supporting for a long time trying to make it in music. Sure he has some decent songs that you like more than you should because he is your friend but you probably know deep down he is not going to "make it" and then out of nowhere he throws down Yesterday while missing a tooth and you are like I have been listening to all that other crap when you had this.

I enjoyed the movie and that scene actually just for trying to put yourself in the place of the characters. The song by itself doesn't get that reaction but your friend who you have known trying to make good music busting it out does.
Exactly. Not sure how anyone missed this point.
MW03
AG
One thing that did make me laugh was during the big reveal when he told the truth and identified the real song writers, and I'm wondering if he just ruined their lives because you know someone is going to hunt them down and want to talk to them about writing all these famous songs. Meanwhile, McCartney is somewhere living a blissful Mr. Holland's Opus life as a middle school band instructor somewhere and just absolutely getting hounded with interview requests and whatnot.
Quad Dog
AG
MW03 said:

One thing that did make me laugh was during the big reveal when he told the truth and identified the real song writers, and I'm wondering if he just ruined their lives because you know someone is going to hunt them down and want to talk to them about writing all these famous songs. Meanwhile, McCartney is somewhere living a blissful Mr. Holland's Opus life as a middle school band instructor somewhere and just absolutely getting hounded with interview requests and whatnot.
Meanwhile Richard Starkey is wondering who this Ringo Starr guy is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.