*** YESTERDAY *** (Danny Boyle Beatles Movie)

24,520 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Raptor
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this movie worth it to people who don't think the Beatles were that great? Do you have to be a fan boy to enjoy it?
DrZ
AG
Yes indeed. The female friend in the group will be your role model. You will really connect with her.
HTownAg98
I'm surprised a rock band hasn't done a cover of Help! like it was done near the end of the movie.

I'm not usually one to go see a movie again, but I may for this one.
Dr. Teeth
AG
Saw it this afternoon... I thought it was very good, especially in a film landscape cluttered with remakes and CGI'd superheroes.

Not a big fan of Kate McKinnon of all, but at least she kept her weirdness to an appropriate level.

Also, I kept thinking of how many complete Beatles song lyrics I could remember if they went poof.... not that many, five tops.
Hogties
AG
Saw it for a second time and this time I took my 19 year old daughter. It was just as good on a rewatch and my girl loved it. She can't stop talking about it and the implications for the world without Beatles, Coke, Potter, etc.

She knows the Beatles' music because I listen to them a lot, but she's not a fan. She says she likes their songs but not their singing (yeah she actually says that). So she liked the cover style of the songs in the movie.

I think she may be coming around though because during the credits when the Beatles' Hey Jude is playing she told me she decided that Jack Malik must have been killed by the bus and be in purgatory because in his world now he would never hear this original version of Hey Jude. Therefore, purgatory or maybe even hell to not be able to hear the originals.

Oh and that Ella character was fantastic. She was very expressive and well acted.
TCTTS
AG
The biggest leap of logic in this movie is anyone putting Lily James in the friend zone for ten years.
OldArmy71
AG
My ten-year-old granddaughter and I saw the movie this afternoon. Thanks to all of you who said it would be fine to take her. There was nothing that I objected to at all, and she pretended to be covering her eyes during the kissing, though it was clear she was rather interested in it!

The Beatles were a major part of my life (born in 1949). I vividly remember my family watching a clip of "She Loves You" on the Jack Paar late-night TV show in early January 1964, a month before the Ed Sullivan appearance. My sister (a year younger) and I were immediately taken with the boys, and so many times of my life are linked to specific songs. I did not like every single one of their songs, and didn't connect with whole albums sometimes, but I played Abbey Road over and over again when I first bought it. I was a junior at A&M when they broke up, and I took it pretty hard. It was like crossing some Rubicon between childhood and adulthood, and I was pretty bitter about it.

I had a good time at the movie. It was clever and thought-provoking about all the implications of the alternate reality, and I enjoyed the songs. I am usually someone who just goes with the flow at a movie and does not try to see where it's headed, but I did see the big reveal coming almost immediately. That allowed me to steel myself and not sob openly in the theater. (Later, when I was talking with my granddaughter on our way back to the truck about that particular example of an alternate reality, I did indeed get all teary-eyed. Luckily, spending as much time as she does around me, she was used to it.)

My only complaint is that it went on about 25 minutes too long.

The main character sings very well, and all the other characters do fine jobs.

Still, it was a real treat hearing Paul's version of "Hey Jude" over the credits. What a gift those four men had.
oragator
Saw it today too, and really enjoyed it - I Thought Lily James was great in this.

I was but torn while watching, I really wanted some of the music and the visceral reaction to it to be highlighted more, but there wasn't anything I would have wanted taken out (other than maybe some of the lines for the stereotypical dopey friend which was kind of annoying), and I wouldn't have wanted It to go longer either.

OldArmy71
AG
Well shoot, now I can't remember. Is it "Hey Jude" or "Let it Be" over the credits?
TCTTS
AG
Hey Jude. My dad wouldn't let us leave the theater until it was over.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's too bad he wasn't with you for Spider-Man.
oragator
You mean Hey Dude?
Bruce Almighty
AG
oragator said:

You mean Hey Dude?
OldArmy71
AG
Thank you!

I also wanted to hear the whole thing, but the 10-year-old had been very sweet for a long time and was ready to go, so we left after a couple of minutes.
OldArmy71
AG
My granddaughter and I were wondering: How much did it cost to get the rights to sing the songs? How much did it cost to play Hey Jude?
redd38
AG
OldArmy71 said:

My granddaughter and I were wondering: How much did it cost to get the rights to sing the songs? How much did it cost to play Hey Jude?

According to imdb, less than it costs to insure Leonardo Di Caprio's face (which has been Danny Boyle's biggest expense apparently).

Edit: upon listening to the actually interview, Boyle says it was second most expensive after "Leonardo DiCaprio's fee in The Beach", which appears to have been $20 million
Philo B 93
Very fun movie. I took my 13 year old who said he was surprised at how many songs he recognized. In his words "all of them", which is not accurate. I didn't even recognize all of them. Teenagers..... anyway, my fave part was the recording of the first cd at Gavin's studio. That was the fun montage with the best non sappy songs. I'll buy the movie for that scene alone.

I love these classic rock movies from Queen to Elton John to Motley Crue (Netflix) to Yesterday. Keep them coming movie monkeys. Keep the best music of all time alive.
85aggie777
AG
Huge fan of the group and I LOVED the movie! That one scene toward the end literally had me whisper "Wow!" out loud (I won't elaborate as I don't know how to do the spoiler blackout bars). I sat through the entire end credits song.

I thought of it afterwards as a love letter to Beatles fans like me.
CoachLB
Saw it today. My wife ( not a big Beatles fan. But I am ) both enjoyed it very much.
hph6203
AG
The instructions are pinned at the top of this forum if you ever wanna learn.
85aggie777
AG
hph6203 said:

The instructions are pinned at the top of this forum if you ever wanna learn.
Aha, thanks! I would never have thought to look for it there with the title "Did you hear...?".
BTHOthatguy
Saw it today, was it an over simplified romcom? Maybe.

But unless you lived through The Beatles actually releasing these songs (I did not) you can only imagine what it was like hearing these songs for the first time. We grew up on these songs but they were such a part of our culture that even though we all heard then once for the first time most of us can't really remember hearing for the first time.

The magic of the movie is the reaction of the actors hearing songs like Yesterday for the first time. It kind of allows us younger folks a glimpse into what it must have been like to hear this world changing music for the first time.

As for the only other two people in the movie that know these are Beatles songs, they speak for us the audience. "We can't sing but you can! Keep going the world needs these songs!"

The movie had an amazing premise and a ton of potential (Come Together released for the first time in today's political climate?) But they chose to keep it simple and just give fan service to Beatles fans. I was totally ok with that.
aglaohfour
AG
Finally got to see this on Saturday. My only complaint is that the rom-com element was a little too formulaic, in my opinion. Not terrible, it's just that I went to the movie for the music and found myself wanting to skip the whole storyline with Lily James to get back to the music.

Several people in the theater audibly gasped when John Lennon opened the door. I'd suspected he would make an appearance, but having just been to Strawberry Fields in Central Park, I was picturing him living in the penthouse across the street. Of course I immediately realized that was ridiculous when the taxi pulled up to the beach cottage.
Gigem314
AG
Finally saw it over the weekend and loved it.
Thunder18
AG
Saw it tonight, it was surprisingly funny. Wife and I both enjoyed it
oragator
So many people here have seen it, which is awesome. But it's only made 52 million domestically going into the weekend, which is a shame.
88 million BO currently WW against a 26 million budget and some money still to come, so it will turn a profit. Just wish more people had found it. My guess is that it will be one of those movies that finds more love when it gets to cable.
aggiedata
AG
We got a big group of neighbors going today. We are definitely part of the "watch movies at home" crowd. This is our one movie a year we will venture out to iPics for.
jackie childs
oragator said:

So many people here have seen it, which is awesome. But it's only made 52 million domestically going into the weekend, which is a shame.
88 million BO currently WW against a 26 million budget and some money still to come, so it will turn a profit. Just wish more people had found it. My guess is that it will be one of those movies that finds more love when it gets to cable.
so this brings up a point that i've thought about for a while. and maybe someone more familiar with the movie business model can offer a simple explanation...

why doesn't the film industry use dynamic pricing?
Quad Dog
AG
The wife and I saw this last night (I avoided saying yesterday) and I really enjoyed it. I wanted more, and its usually a good thing when a movie leaves you wanting more. Too often these days movies over explain and answer every question. My wife has family in south London, so we loved all the England scenes.

I don't think I would have learned much maths from Lilly James as my teacher. They, tried, but couldn't make her unattractive in this.

However, what happened to the "Something" moment on James Corden's show from the trailer with Ana De Armas? It and her character were completely cut from the movie. I guess we should all accept that trailers just constantly lie to us?
jackie childs
Quad Dog said:

The wife and I saw this last night (I avoided saying yesterday) and I really enjoyed it. I wanted more, and its usually a good thing when a movie leaves you wanting more. Too often these days movies over explain and answer every question. My wife has family in south London, so we loved all the England scenes.

I don't think I would have learned much maths from Lilly James as my teacher. They, tried, but couldn't make her unattractive in this.

However, what happened to the "Something" moment on James Corden's show from the trailer with Ana De Armas? It and her character were completely cut from the movie. I guess we should all accept that trailers just constantly lie to us?
i noticed the same thing and actually kept waiting for that scene.

i looked it up and they ultimately decided to cut that scene because it was part of a love-triangle arc and they thought the audience might turn on Jack and think he doesn't deserve Ellie.

i do wish they'd done something to better explain why Jack wasn't with Ellie long before the accident.
Philo B 93
jackie childs said:

oragator said:

so this brings up a point that i've thought about for a while. and maybe someone more familiar with the movie business model can offer a simple explanation...

Does that mean charge more for certain movies? Like concerts? Interesting idea. Makes sense to me, until I have to pay $90 / ticket to see Spider Man 3.
jackie childs
Philo B 93 said:

jackie childs said:

oragator said:

Does that mean charge more for certain movies? Like concerts? Interesting idea. Makes sense to me, until I have to pay $90 / ticket to see Spider Man 3.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

It cost $350mil to make Endgame, but we pay the same ticket price to see it that we do to see Yesterday, which cost less than $40mil.

With more and more cheap content available, it seems like more people just deem movies like this to be "i'll definitely catch it on Redbox or Netflix". I wonder if more people might go to the theater if the cost of doing so was a little less. While not as critical as seeing an effects-driven film on the big screen, there was something really cool about hearing the Beatles' tunes playing loudly in a theater.
Geriatric Punk
AG
jackie childs said:

Philo B 93 said:

jackie childs said:

oragator said:

Yeah, that's what I meant.

It cost $350mil to make Endgame, but we pay the same ticket price to see it that we do to see Yesterday, which cost less than $40mil.

With more and more cheap content available, it seems like more people just deem movies like this to be "i'll definitely catch it on Redbox or Netflix". I wonder if more people might go to the theater if the cost of doing so was a little less. While not as critical as seeing an effects-driven film on the big screen, there was something really cool about hearing the Beatles' tunes playing loudly in a theater.
I'd pay 3x to watch what is in the theater at my house. I have two kids in diapers and it costs at least that much to hire a sitter, etc. Would be nice to see stuff when it comes out instead of having to wait until it drops digitally.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Proudag06
AG
Just watched it. Had actually forgotten about it and really didn't think I'd be all that entertained but the wife heard good things on a podcast and wanted to watch it for her birthday.

It was absolutely fantastic! There are a very few movies that aren't made by marvel that I finish and can't wait to tell people about, but this is up there. Probably the most pleasantly surprised I've been after a movie since Molly's game (another one I didn't really know much about when I saw it, and was so entertained). It is fun, heart warming, characters are great (they even manage to make Gavin (the other guy) genuinely like-able), and the idea is unique, which as someone above said, that doesn't happen very often in Hollywood.

Anyway, had to share in case there are some on the board wondering whether it's worth a rent. It is.

(No rule 1, sorry not sorry)
chipotle
Very good movie. Probably missed an opportunity to be a great movie. "Well, it's not Cold Play. It's not Fix you."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.