*** YESTERDAY *** (Danny Boyle Beatles Movie)

24,050 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Raptor
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, so it's not quite a Beatles movie in the traditional sense, but I'll be damned if this isn't the underdog hit of summer (i.e. not a tentpole blockbuster). This looks sooo good, and has to be one of the best concepts I've seen in a long time.

From director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours), Yesterday hits theaters on June 28, just in time for the July 4th holiday...

Yoda
AG
Looks promising. I'm in.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This movie has bought my love.
Hogties
AG
Oh! Darling, I'm so in!
Tabasco
AG
Thank you for posting that. I am so in! Not what i was expecting.
Charpie
AG
Looking forward to it
CorpsAg11
AG
An original concept... out of Hollywood
PatAg
AG
Hmm, part of me thinks this is one of those things that is a really funny concept for a sketch, but I'm not certain there is a movie's worth of content from it.
Raptor
AG
Wakes up from coma, realizes it was all a dream due to someone playing Beatles music and putting AirPods in his ears.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

bagger05
AG
This trailer just came across my Facebook feed and it looks really good.
jackie childs
that looks really good, I'm in
hurleyag
AG
Anyone think that it is actually Paul and Ringo that James Corden has on his show that claims he stole the songs? I'm leaning towards it being someone else.
KidDoc
AG
I don't really like the Beatles much but this is a great concept for a movie. I saw the preview thing on the morning news and it looks really entertaining.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aTmAg
AG
I have always wondered what somebody like Beethoven would think of Hans Zimmer or John Williams. Would he think they were crap or awesome? Then vice versa. What if Beethoven never existed, and some modern guy came up with his symphonies, would people think? Would they say, "yeah it's good, but it's not John Williams"? How much of music is talent and how much is hype? If the Beatles were born 20 years earlier or later, would anybody know their name? If Elvis was ugly would anybody know or care about him? If Drake was trying to make music in the 80's would they laugh him out of the studio?

Personally, I think that if we rewind time, but had the same music, then what would and what would not be popular would be a luck of the draw for 95% of it.
jackie childs
hurleyag said:

Anyone think that it is actually Paul and Ringo that James Corden has on his show that claims he stole the songs? I'm leaning towards it being someone else.
interesting. i guess paul and ringo could just be regular people in this world and that's why a google search didn't find them?

personally, i hope it's not them and just people coming out of the woodwork. that's not uncommon when a song blows up and others claim to have written it (or parts of it).
Tabasco
AG
I had same thought about the two, but think it is not them. Especially with the red herring of one being barefoot (Paul is dead; Abbey Road)... too obvious for the clip.
Quad Dog
AG
In this universe is John Lennon still alive because he never became famous?
Thunder18
AG
Looks interesting, and I will watch pretty much anything Danny Boyle directs
Sex Panther
AG
That looks fantastic. Can't wait.
tysker
AG
I wonder if the "Its not Coldplay, Its not 'Fix You'" will start another fight Gallagher brother fight?
Gigem314
AG
Looks like fun. Definitely in.
Rex Racer
AG
"Hey, Dude"
MW03
AG
That looks incredible. Came in prepared to privately roll my eyes at all of you, but damnit if that doesn't look amazing. Also, Lily James.

CorpsAg11
AG
Quad Dog said:

In this universe is John Lennon still alive because he never became famous?

I'm sure he would have still been a pretentious commie
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ho. Lee. Crap. I cannot wait to see this!
rynning
AG
aTmAg said:

I have always wondered what somebody like Beethoven would think of Hans Zimmer or John Williams. Would he think they were crap or awesome? Then vice versa. What if Beethoven never existed, and some modern guy came up with his symphonies, would people think? Would they say, "yeah it's good, but it's not John Williams"? How much of music is talent and how much is hype? If the Beatles were born 20 years earlier or later, would anybody know their name? If Elvis was ugly would anybody know or care about him? If Drake was trying to make music in the 80's would they laugh him out of the studio?

Personally, I think that if we rewind time, but had the same music, then what would and what would not be popular would be a luck of the draw for 95% of it.
I've wondered the same thing. Why did the type of music that was popular in the 80's (or any era) end? Was there nothing left to do? Did people just tire of it? Did something better come along? Did it no longer fit with changes in society? Did music executives make the decision for us?

When the Tom Hanks movie "That Thing You Do!" came out in 1996, I read it took them a while to find a good original song that (they think) would have been a hit in the 60s. Of course, it didn't become a hit in 1996, so there's that.

Is the premise true that Beatles music would be just as popular today if never heard before? Not so sure...
CapCityAg89
AG
**** yeah. I am so in.
PatAg
AG
rynning said:

aTmAg said:

I've wondered the same thing. Why did the type of music that was popular in the 80's (or any era) end? Was there nothing left to do? Did people just tire of it? Did something better come along? Did it no longer fit with changes in society? Did music executives make the decision for us?

When the Tom Hanks movie "That Thing You Do!" came out in 1996, I read it took them a while to find a good original song that (they think) would have been a hit in the 60s. Of course, it didn't become a hit in 1996, so there's that.

Is the premise true that Beatles music would be just as popular today if never heard before? Not so sure...
It actually did
Big Al 1992
AG
Fantastic! Gets you to think if this happened to one of us - do I release songs in chronological order, start with the rockers or the ballads or the folksy stuff? Would I mix songs up from different albums? New song every month, week, day? Can't wait to see this.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that song was pretty big hit when the movie came out. I remember being surprised by how believable it was a hit within the movie world as well. Our local pop radio station played it often and I remember basically everyone in high school knowing the song as well. Granted, it wasn't played at parties or anything. No one actively chose to listen to it, but there was definitely a high awareness and appreciation of it.
BarryProfit
aTmAg said:

I get your point but the Beatles were transformational, no one had ever really written music like that before. I suppose someone would have been transformational in their void but it would have obviously been much different. Whether we would we have eventually gotten to where we are today is hard to say.

What's also hard to fathom is the ripple effect of greatness and innovators - the influence they have on their peers and those who follow is even greater than their direct output.

Seems like a cool movie.
tysker
AG
rynning said:

aTmAg said:

The UK and Europe have a different attachment to music from the late 50 and 60s than we do in the US. R&B and soul musicians are still quite popular. Just in UK think of the recent popularity of Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Poloma Faith, Sam Smith, Joss Stone etc. How much of Bruno Mars' recent album should be credited to Mark Ronson?

The Beatles were brilliant not just for their pop songs but also for their songs that sounded simple but had a mature complexity that your brain unknowingly gets latched onto. The same way a great painting or sculpture is 'just right.' Also the Beatles worked in and even created a myriad of musical styles. Listening to Revolver you hear a time capsule but also songs that could easily translate to today's Spotify curated playlists. (For instance, Tomorrow Never Knows might have started Drum n Bass 3 decades before it had a defined style.)
aTmAg
AG
BarryProfit said:

aTmAg said:

I get your point but the Beatles were transformational, no one had ever really written music like that before. I suppose someone would have been transformational in their void but it would have obviously been much different. Whether we would we have eventually gotten to where we are today is hard to say.

What's also hard to fathom is the ripple effect of greatness and innovators - the influence they have on their peers and those who follow is even greater than their direct output.

Seems like a cool movie.
Obviously, we will never know.. but it's interesting to think about (and it's good that a movie is making us think about things).

I think there would be a big butterfly effect type thing. That for music to hit big it has to be timed right. Yellow Submarine was #1 in the 1960s, but I don't think it would be popular at all if released now. I think most of my daughter's music is crap. I know my parents thought most of my music was crap. I assume we each have similar experience. I personally have thought that if Led Zepplin was in the 90's they would have been at the Beatles level, since they were "too hard" for many people back in their heyday (of course I can't prove that).

I think it's highly likely that there would be another group every bit as big and influential as the Beatles, who's music was quite different than the Beatles. That music like that is not "discovered" like math or physics, that it's just a matter of taste and what's hot at the time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That Thing You Do is the best.

Take us there, Skitch.
bigboykin
AG
This is the first movie that I've been genuinely excited to see in quite some time. I can't wait.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.