*** YESTERDAY *** (Danny Boyle Beatles Movie)

24,541 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Raptor
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

That Thing You Do is the best.

Take us there, Skitch.

PatAg
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Fantastic! Gets you to think if this happened to one of us - do I release songs in chronological order, start with the rockers or the ballads or the folksy stuff? Would I mix songs up from different albums? New song every month, week, day? Can't wait to see this.
That's an interesting thought. I feel like you would do your best to just follow their actual career path, but maybe not.
Render
AG
No one will believe this, but my dad actually had this exact same idea for a movie like 3-4 years ago. Just replace the Beatles with Bruce Springsteen, and its the same movie. Also, his version was much darker - feelings of guilt and fraud ultimately culminated into the guy committing suicide.

My only addition was the ending. The screen cuts to black when the singer offs himself. Couple seconds later, the picture fades back in. The camera pans up a suburban driveway, then the front porch steps of a typical home. We see a newspaper with the headline "SINGER ENDS HIS LIFE". We hear guitar strumming, and as the camera continues to pan up, we see a kid Bruce Springsteen strumming a guitar. End.

Oh well. Maybe we should have pitched it when we had the chance!
Van Buren Boy
AG
Render said:

No one will believe this, but my dad actually had this exact same idea for a movie like 3-4 years ago. Just replace the Beatles with Bruce Springsteen, and its the same movie. Also, his version was much darker - feelings of guilt and fraud ultimately culminated into the guy committing suicide.

My only addition was the ending. The screen cuts to black when the singer offs himself. Couple seconds later, the picture fades back in. The camera pans up a suburban driveway, then the front porch steps of a typical home. We see a newspaper with the headline "SINGER ENDS HIS LIFE". We hear guitar strumming, and as the camera continues to pan up, we see a kid Bruce Springsteen strumming a guitar. End.

Oh well. Maybe we should have pitched it when we had the chance!

Redstone changed his name
aTmAg
AG
I never had an idea for a movie.. but I thought that it would be cool if I could go back to 1800, bring a set of good speakers, a bunch of movie track CDs, set up in a concert hall somewhere, and then pretend I was producing the music with my hand gestures or something. Just to screw with their minds.
Average Joe
AG
There was a band in the early 2000's called The Redwalls that had a heavy Beatles sound to them. I thought they were decent, but they never really made it big. I'm not sure if it was because of their sound or due to how difficult the music industry is to begin with.

Big Al 1992
AG
Another heavy Beatle influenced band we saw live but never amounted to much but we loved them - Olivia Tremor Control

Redstone
AG
Boyle, director of the greatest sci-fi film of recent times, Sunshine, has earned our trust.

We shall see.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
fig96
AG
BarryProfit said:

I get your point but the Beatles were transformational, no one had ever really written music like that before. I suppose someone would have been transformational in their void but it would have obviously been much different. Whether we would we have eventually gotten to where we are today is hard to say.

What's also hard to fathom is the ripple effect of greatness and innovators - the influence they have on their peers and those who follow is even greater than their direct output.

Seems like a cool movie.
This might even be the more interesting point, though one that's obviously impossible to quantify.

I mean, without the Beatles would we have Coldplay? Foo Fighters? And all the bands inbetween that influenced music along the way.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
fig96 said:

BarryProfit said:

I get your point but the Beatles were transformational, no one had ever really written music like that before. I suppose someone would have been transformational in their void but it would have obviously been much different. Whether we would we have eventually gotten to where we are today is hard to say.

What's also hard to fathom is the ripple effect of greatness and innovators - the influence they have on their peers and those who follow is even greater than their direct output.

Seems like a cool movie.
This might even be the more interesting point, though one that's obviously impossible to quantify.

I mean, without the Beatles would we have Coldplay? Foo Fighters? And all the bands inbetween that influenced music along the way.
The Beatles literally changed the world. It's not an exaggeration. Their contribution to Western Civilization cannot be overstated.
MaroonStain
AG
aTmAg said:

I never had an idea for a movie.. but I thought that it would be cool if I could go back to 1800, bring a set of good speakers, a bunch of movie track CDs, set up in a concert hall somewhere, and then pretend I was producing the music with my hand gestures or something. Just to screw with their minds.

You would be killed within a week.
aTmAg
AG
MaroonStain said:

aTmAg said:

You would be killed within a week.
Maybe I should bring a machine gun with me.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
Just saw this and loved it. Definitely did not disappoint.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Re-reading this thread after seeing the movie is pretty funny.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I found it ok. Not bad but not great either.

The most intriguing scene from the trailer to me (Corden scene with Paul and Ringo coming on stage) was not even resolved. It was just a dream.

I guess I was also hoping for more of a real resolution. Like he would wake up from a coma and finally tell her he loved her. But no, no actual explanation for what happened.
Know Your Enemy
AG
It was hilarious when he couldn't find anything on Oasis after he realized the Beatles didn't exist.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I kept wanting him to ask her what song he sang at the talent show if it wasn't Wonderwall now.
G Martin 87
AG
Just saw it earlier today as well. Perfect, from start to finish. I haven't loved a movie this much in years.
OldArmy71
AG
Question:

I am 70 and have a 10-year-old granddaughter to whom I sing Beatles songs all the time. She finally can name them all. I have shown her the trailer and she's in, mostly because of Ed Sheeran.

She knows drugs are bad; she's heard bad words; she knows drinking too much is bad.

What about sex/nudity? I read somewhere there's a scene in which two people get drunk and get on a bed, but don't have sex.

I don't want to deal with the sex/nudity thing yet. Is it suitable for a 10 year old?
fig96
AG
There is some language but zero nudity and the scene you're referring to is like prime time tv level at worst.
fig96
AG
Easily the most heartfelt and genuine thing I've seen this year, seriously loved it. If you're any kind of Beatles fan you won't be disappointed.
OldArmy71
AG
Good! I really want to take her. Thank you!
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm pretty conservative when it comes to stuff like this but I don't really remember anything that would make me hesitate for a second to bring a kid to this. Language wasn't that bad that I recall and no nudity at all. Not even close. No drug use either.
Bruce Almighty
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Just saw it earlier today as well. Perfect, from start to finish. I haven't loved a movie this much in years.

If you were in your teens or older in the 70's, bring tissues. You'll need them. The guy next to me audibly gasped and was in tears immediately. He wasn't the only one, either.

Weird that you spoil tagged that. How will people know to bring them unless they choose to click on the spoiler?
fig96
AG
You bet, y'all will love it.
OldArmy71
AG
Thank you!

I'm pretty conservative about it, too. Last year I got her interested in the story of the Titanic because of something she learned in school and she already knew about the Cameron movie and really wanted to see it (She said, "All I want to know is, Does Jack live?"). I previewed it and decided against it, but in a couple of years, we can do that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm in my 30's, but that part got me.
G Martin 87
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Weird that you spoil tagged that. How will people know to bring them unless they choose to click on the spoiler?
Yes, dumb on my part. I thought even that might be too much of a hint. I took it out.
oldarmy1
AG
Best movie I've seen not labeled by Marvel in a few years. Get over your Beatle documentary mindset, think of just enjoying phenomenal acting, entertaining characters and an interesting story-line. Fantastic movie.
oldarmy1
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Question:

I am 70 and have a 10-year-old granddaughter to whom I sing Beatles songs all the time. She finally can name them all. I have shown her the trailer and she's in, mostly because of Ed Sheeran.

She knows drugs are bad; she's heard bad words; she knows drinking too much is bad.

What about sex/nudity? I read somewhere there's a scene in which two people get drunk and get on a bed, but don't have sex.

I don't want to deal with the sex/nudity thing yet. Is it suitable for a 10 year old?
Absolutely...100%
TXAG 05
AG
Just got out, thought it was fantastic. Very well done, and of course the music was great.

Seeing John Lennon alive was shocking. Was it cgi or did they find someone that looked just like him?
Know Your Enemy
AG
That was just an actor that bore a resemblance. And a very cool scene.
Another Doug
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Question:

Common Sense media will always tell you the exact "inappropriate" things in a movie.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/yesterday

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.