*** YESTERDAY *** (Danny Boyle Beatles Movie)

24,540 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Raptor
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I found it ok. Not bad but not great either.

The most intriguing scene from the trailer to me (Corden scene with Paul and Ringo coming on stage) was not even resolved. It was just a dream.

I guess I was also hoping for more of a real resolution. Like he would wake up from a coma and finally tell her he loved her. But no, no actual explanation for what happened.

Thought the ending was great, what more do you need resolved? I think giving an explanation for the blackout and why it affected Jack would have cheapened the movie, or if it had been just a coma/dream would have been lame and a tired cliche of an ending.

Take Back to the Future, how does the flux capacitor work? No clue, it just does. It's the thing that makes time travel possible and that's all we need to know, just like this.
rfvgy12
AG
Beatles fan who took his four children (6- 16). They grew up on Beatles songs. My daughter once finished humming Strawberry Fields on the changing table because I sang it everyday when changing her. Broke down on that scene. Kids thought I was crazy or something.
Hogties
AG
Really enjoyed this movie. I've been looking forward to it since I saw the first trailer. I was not disappointed.
redd38
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I kept wanting him to ask her what song he sang at the talent show if it wasn't Wonderwall now.

I'm kinda surprised he didn't sing Wonderwall to win her back.

Also would have liked a little not resolution, not regarded the blackout and what caused it, but what happened after the reveal. Like when the media found the four alleged writers and they say they have no idea what he's talking about

Fun movie though
Big Al 1992
AG
That was excellent! Everything you want in a movie - got chills, teared up, suspense, humor, and yeah of course the music. Absolutely loved it!
TXAG 05
AG
redd38 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I kept wanting him to ask her what song he sang at the talent show if it wasn't Wonderwall now.

Also would have liked a little not resolution, not regarded the blackout and what caused it, but what happened after the reveal. Like when the media found the four alleged writers and they say they have no idea what he's talking about

Fun movie though

people probably just thought he was just being weird, how much thought do you give to Kanye or someone like that when they say crazy stuff? Plus they got all the music for free so probably didn't care either way. Also, it's not like the real Beatles could claim anything sing they weren't the Beatles in this world.
redd38
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

redd38 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fun movie though

people probably just thought he was just being weird, how much thought do you give to Kanye or someone like that when they say crazy stuff? Plus they got all the music for free so probably didn't care either way. Also, it's not like the real Beatles could claim anything sing they weren't the Beatles in this world.

I agree, so I don't think he'd just go back to being normal again, he'd still be famous and they'd still want more songs from him. I'm sure he's still under some sort of contract. I guess I just wish they ended it with him continuing to give the world the Beatles (and not just to a small room of school kids). I don't think there would be anything bad or dishonest about it. Who's you say that John Lennon didn't get his lyrics from an alternate reality too?
bagger05
AG
If you hate having fun at the movies, DO NOT GO SEE THIS FILM.
Big Al 1992
AG
The upside down boat John M and John L were sitting on outside the house was named "Imagine"!
Know Your Enemy
AG
i was confused why Coke was lost too. They never really explained that.
Trident 88
AG
Junkhead said:

There were other things that also never existed, like cigarettes and Harry Potter.
MooreTrucker
AG
Saw it on Saturday. Cute, fun movie with GIGANTIC plot holes.
MooreTrucker
AG
BarryProfit said:

What's also hard to fathom is the ripple effect of greatness and innovators - the influence they have on their peers and those who follow is even greater than their direct output.

We saw a performance Saturday that was a tribute to Hank Williams, and the guy talked about what an influence he had on future generations. In addition to influencing so many other country stars, he influenced Elvis who influenced Buddy Holly who influenced the Beatles and so on.

And he died of a heart attack at age 29. I never realized how young he was.
MooreTrucker
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm in my 30's, but that part got me.
What part? I can't remember anything really tear-jerking.
Big Al 1992
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Saw it pn Saturday. Cute, fun movie with GIGANTIC plot holes.

Yep - kind of fun to nitpick at them now - like
The Stones in the movie we're still a big thing yet it was Lennon/McCartney's I Wanna Be Your Man that was one of their first big hits - what would the Stones be without that song or how would they have known to seek out 2 obscure songwriters

But still the movie was a blast!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Yeah, I knew they were more but I couldn't remember at the time.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Saw it pn Saturday. Cute, fun movie with GIGANTIC plot holes.

Yep - kind of fun to nitpick at them now - like
The Stones in the movie we're still a big thing yet it was Lennon/McCartney's I Wanna Be Your Man that was one of their first big hits - what would the Stones be without that song or how would they have known to seek out 2 obscure songwriters

But still the movie was a blast!
I don't think that's a gigantic plot hole really. They could've hit it big with one of their other songs. As you said it was ONE of their first big hits. And as we saw at the end John Lennon wasn't a songwriter anyway in that universe.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
John Lennon
MooreTrucker
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

John Lennon

Oh yeah. That really was cool. Didn't conjure up any tears for me, though.
MooreTrucker
AG
Trident 88 said:

Junkhead said:

There were other things that also never existed, like cigarettes and Harry Potter.
Also, what was the story with the other two people that remembered the Beatles? Were they also hit by a bus at the exact time of the solar flare? What was their story?
MooreTrucker
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I found it ok. Not bad but not great either.

The most intriguing scene from the trailer to me (Corden scene with Paul and Ringo coming on stage) was not even resolved. It was just a dream.

I guess I was also hoping for more of a real resolution. Like he would wake up from a coma and finally tell her he loved her. But no, no actual explanation for what happened.

Thought the ending was great, what more do you need resolved? I think giving an explanation for the blackout and why it affected Jack would have cheapened the movie, or if it had been just a coma/dream would have been lame and a tired cliche of an ending.

Take Back to the Future, how does the flux capacitor work? No clue, it just does. It's the thing that makes time travel possible and that's all we need to know, just like this.

I agree the coma thing would have been lame, but a little more explanation about the solar flare would have helped, like what about that would erase certain things...and only those things... from EVERYONE's memory but a select few? And why those specific things?

We don't exactly know how the flux capacitor works but we have a little bit of knowledge about it, like the 1.21 gigawatts thing.

I also thought John Lennon looked more like Steve Perry, but whatever.

I loved the little touches like barefoot Paul McCartney, the Imagine boat, John Lennon's glasses, stuff like that.

I loved the movie and had a blast with it, but it's FAR from perfect IMO.
DG-Ag
AG
Saw it Friday. THOROUGHLY enjoyed it!
Dad
AG
Haven't ready any comments on this thread but I plan to see it this week.
Trident 88
AG
The other 2 people who remembered the Beatles were only there to build suspense - i.e. would they expose Jack as a fraud? I expected this to happen and assume they met the same unique criteria as Jack that enabled them to remember. I didn't think twice about what the criteria were because it isn't important to the story.

Personally, I was hoping that Jack would just accept the fame and money once these 2 people made it clear that they were actually happy with Jack sharing the Beatles' music. Of course, his conscience couldn't handle it because he's the hero of the story. So, he took Lennon's advice and told the truth, even if it's not the truth of the new timeline.
Quad Dog
AG
Entertaining that this thread has more spoiler text in it than the Game of Thrones thread.
walton91
MooreTrucker said:

Saw it on Saturday. Cute, fun movie with GIGANTIC plot holes.
Yep, same here. I enjoyed it. Felt it could have been so much better, though, than the standard romcom that it is.
MooreTrucker
AG
Trident 88 said:

The other 2 people who remembered the Beatles were only there to build suspense - i.e. would they expose Jack as a fraud? I expected this to happen and assume they met the same unique criteria as Jack that enabled them to remember. I didn't think twice about what the criteria were because it isn't important to the story.

Personally, I was hoping that Jack would just accept the fame and money once these 2 people made it clear that they were actually happy with Jack sharing the Beatles' music. Of course, his conscience couldn't handle it because he's the hero of the story. So, he took Lennon's advice and told the truth, even if it's not the truth of the new timeline.
It's important to the story in order to make it something other than just a romcom.
Trident 88
AG
I don't view this as just a rom com, but it sure as hell wasn't meant to be sci fi.

More than anything else (as far as I'm concerned), it's simply about the greatness of the Beatles. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't like their music.
MooreTrucker
AG
Trident 88 said:

I don't view this as just a rom com, but it sure as hell wasn't meant to be sci fi.

More than anything else (as far as I'm concerned), it's simply about the greatness of the Beatles. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't like their music.
Yeah, I'll give you that. The music and how it was handled was fantastic. Why there were no Beatles and how that was handled was dumb.
Trident 88
AG
Fair enough.

To put my description another way, if it didn't make you smile (at least) when:
- The female lead got hot and bothered when Jack played "Yesterday".
- Ed Sheeran was absolutely broken when Jack managed to "write" "The Long and Winding Road" in 10 minutes.

Then, you're probably not part of the target audience for this movie.
MooreTrucker
AG
Trident 88 said:

Fair enough.

To put my description another way, if it didn't make you smile (at least) when:
- The female lead got hot and bothered when Jack played "Yesterday".
- Ed Sheeran was absolutely broken when Jack managed to "write" "The Long and Winding Road" in 10 minutes.

Then, you're probably not part of the target audience for this movie.
Oh yeah, I loved that, and the comments by the chic friend about Coldplay. And "Hey Dude". There were several LOL moments in the movie. And some glaring plot holes.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Just saw it!! I actually hate going to the movies, but this one was definitely worth it. Cute story, lots of laughs.
Cepe
AG
Great movie and a great plot device.

My advice - don't overthink it. Just go an enjoy. . .
MooreTrucker
AG
Cepe said:

Oh I can do both.
G Martin 87
AG
Cepe said:

Absolutely. "Groundhog Day" didn't explain why Phil's time loop happened either. Is it a bad movie for having a giant plot hole? Of course not. "Yesterday" is a great "what if..." fantasy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.