*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

809,059 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
why cheap? that was the story and filmed that way when she was alive.

for the record, I don't think Leia will die in TROS but i've been know to be wrong.... from time to time.
Fat Bib Fortuna
yeah but they had already filmed the whole movie and that was all in the script by the time she died in real life. It was more about Poe's journey than hers.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, but she died a whole year before the movie came out. That whole scene just felt kind of cheap to me when I saw it in the theater. I know not everyone feels the same way, I'm just saying I had a bigger problem with that aspect of it than what we actually saw on the screen.

That's also why I kind of agree she's not dying in this one unless it's in like some kind of epilogue at the end if they want to give her a kind of on-screen tribute.

I don't think there's a good way she could die in the course of the film that wouldn't feel cheap.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's crazy how much better the story becomes if Leia is the one who kamikaze's Snoke's ship.

(We do lose that amazing Luke/Leia scene, sadly.)
Dro07
AG
she should have taken Holdos place for an epic way to go.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I just think the plan (before Carrie Fisher's death obviously) was to have a confrontation of some sort between Leia and Kylo Ren.
bobinator
AG
Except that she IS the resistance. It would not have made any sense from a plot mechanics standpoint.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Should have been Ackbar. Severely injured. And have let the incredible Tim Rose (RIP) get one beautiful last moment as one of the most bizarrely popular side characters of all time. Would have loved to Ackbar get to echo his "May the Force Be With Us" from just before the Battle of DSII and have had Hux realize it half a second too late and get out "It's a Tr ---" before the fleet got ripped in half.
Dro07
AG
I had forgotten he bit it in that scene too. Good call he would have been a better choice.
MandoArms
Edit to protect people from my thoughts.
IG: mando_arms
Fat Bib Fortuna
You need some spoiler tags or to move that to the spoiler thread
MandoArms
Why, because I hope something happens it is a spoiler?
IG: mando_arms
vwbug
Trailer Predictions?
  • New shot of Leia
  • Maz Kanata shows up
  • Rose is in this one
  • K. Russell character
  • Ends with a shot of Palpatine, if he is truly in this one
  • Also think we get a throwback minor character cameo - I'm going with Lobot
  • I don't think we see ghost Luke or ghost anyone else.

Fat Bib Fortuna
In this instance, yes
TCTTS
AG
Dude, just spoiler tag it. You had to have noticed that post after post spoiler-tagged that exact discussion yesterday, or you wouldn't even be aware of the discussion in the first place. That, and there's a spoiler thread now for this very thing that's been up since before your post...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3065176
bobinator
AG
I went back and watched the old trailers to try and make a prediction about what we might see in the new one and went way down a theory rabbit hole...

So this may have been talked about and I missed it... but what if Kylo and Luke have been more or less working together the whole time?

Basically what started my brain going was the 'I'll finish what you started" from the first trailer, what if what Vader started was killing the emperor. Maybe Luke came across something, evidence that Sidious wasn't completely killed, and that's what Kylo Ren is working toward? Basically his split from Luke was an elaborate cover story.

Have we gone down this rabbit hole before?

Obviously there's like a million things working against it, but just something that popped into my head
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I had a theory kind of like that, except it was Leia that sent Kylo on the mission, since we haven't seen them interact yet.

I forget why people said that doesn't make sense, but there were valid arguments and it convinced me haha.
TCTTS
AG
I've seen that theory mentioned here before, but I don't remember there being a big discussion about it or anything. Personally, I think it'd cheapen the movies even more, and would require Luke technically being in on Kylo killing Han, which would piss people off even more. I just can't see it...
bobinator
AG
Yeah... unless... he told Kylo before going into isolation (so that he couldn't be tempted to help him...) that he had to carry out the mission no matter what. Which is why Kylo looked like he struggled with himself to kill Han.

Of course Luke never expected that to happen. Never expected Rey, or for Han to meet Rey, etc, etc, so it's not a situation he imagined. And Kylo knows what can happen if he doesn't finish the mission so he goes ahead and kills Han so he can continue...

I agree that it would probably seem almost Shymalan-esque are-you-kidding-me level stuff, but just something I thought might be interesting to break down while watching that trailer.
Fat Bib Fortuna
vwbug said:

Fat Bib Fortuna
To do my part in hyping the general public up for TROS, I have made a Star Wars reference in every single freelance writing job I have had since April.

I wrote an eBook on using the website Poshmark this week and when the buyer reviewed it, she wrote a comment on the text saying "Love this! Did you know they're putting another one of those movies out soon?"

TCTTS
AG
That's hilarious.
ja86
amercer
AG
I mean, they could have been working together and had Kylo go undercover and then Snoke turned him. Having Han be a causality of the mission and having the Kylo/Luke fight be a ruse is a couple bridges too far.
Malachi Constant
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Should have been Ackbar. Severely injured. And have let the incredible Tim Rose (RIP) get one beautiful last moment as one of the most bizarrely popular side characters of all time. Would have loved to Ackbar get to echo his "May the Force Be With Us" from just before the Battle of DSII and have had Hux realize it half a second too late and get out "It's a Tr ---" before the fleet got ripped in half.

What an outstanding concept and visual. This is an example of "its like poetry, it rhymes" but not in a facetious way.

I'm convinced that we could take the best of the best of texags and make a truly great screenplay.
TCTTS
AG
I have to say, Muck is the king at taking iconic lines from the saga, giving them a nice twist with new context/meaning, and presenting them in awesome, should-have-been scenarios for the sequel trilogy. This is like the fourth time I've thought, "Sh*t, that would be a brilliant callback."
jokershady
AG
I need to pay closer attention to the thread titles....

....Accidentally clicked the damn TROS Spoiler Thread by mistake....

Fortunately the only thing I read is what appears to be a potentially scene by scene of what the trailer is going to be
Duncan Idaho
MuckRaker96 said:

vwbug said:

Ice cream mixer guy was the real hero of bespin.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Willrow_Hood
jokershady
AG
bobinator
AG
jokershady said:

I need to pay closer attention to the thread titles....

....Accidentally clicked the damn TROS Spoiler Thread by mistake....

Fortunately the only thing I read is what appears to be a potentially scene by scene of what the trailer is going to be
Did... you just... spoil the spoiler thread? What a meta spoiler.
bobinator
AG
amercer said:

I mean, they could have been working together and had Kylo go undercover and then Snoke turned him. Having Han be a causality of the mission and having the Kylo/Luke fight be a ruse is a couple bridges too far.
Yeah, I think for me the bigger issue is that Kylo was more or less complicit in the wiping out of billions of innocent people. No matter how important the mission you're currently on is, that seems like something a Jedi couldn't let go.
Flashdiaz
AG
bobinator said:

amercer said:

Yeah, I think for me the bigger issue is that Kylo was more or less complicit in the wiping out of billions of innocent people. No matter how important the mission you're currently on is, that seems like something a Jedi couldn't let go.
Vader did the same but also directly killed Jedi and Jedi kids. Yet a Jedi let that go...
bobinator
AG
I think the difference there is that Anakin completely turned to the dark side, and then turned back. In this theory Kylo would have been pretending to be tempted by the dark side the whole time.

I guess as someone pointed out, maybe Kylo was originally sent by Luke, but then actually turned... but then that seems kind of complicated to explain in one movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
It doesn't seem like something Luke would so. He'd never risk others like that. Besides the fact the he tells Rey that Kylo killed a bunch o the other students who wouldn't join him. That could be a cover story, but where are they all if true?

It makes a lot less sense why Luke wouldn't go after Snoke directly.
bobinator
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

It makes a lot less sense why Luke wouldn't go after Snoke directly.
I think this is actually the biggest thing FOR the theory is that it would at least give some motivation to Luke cutting himself off from the force other than "he gave up."

He thinks that he and Ben can finish the emperor's influence, but to do it Ben is going to have to get close to him and to do that he's going to have to kill Snoke. So Luke cuts himself off from the force so that he won't be tempted to help Ben when he gets in trouble. He has to trust that he'll be able to do it, and then contact him when the time is right.
First Page Last Page
Page 116 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.