*** 2019 Movie Release Schedule ***

93,510 Views | 796 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TCTTS
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still haven't seen it but a lot of people were claiming Green Book will go down as one of the worst. And I personally think Moonlight over La La Land is one of the biggest travesties in Academy history and was a completely reactionary selection.

I do think you need about a decade or so until you can judge these kind of things fairly though, if not longer.
littlebitofhifi
AG
That is the greatest twitter thread ever.

I honestly had no idea what happened in the 2nd act. I remember trying to see it at MSC OPAS when I was in school and my date and I left at intermission unbelievably confused and depressed at those 90 minutes we'd never get back.
TCTTS
AG
Green Book is tricky. I actually really like it, and think it's a damn good movie. It's a little cookie-cutter, sure, but it's very well done. The "controversy" is the race stuff, which I get, but it's also way overblown. A lot of people take offense to the idea of the white guy teaching the black guy how to eat fried chicken, etc. It's one stereotype teaching this other guy how to be another stereotype, which is "problematic" according to some, but I'm also of the mind that that's kind of the point, but whatever. I see both sides on this one. Bottom line, it's a good movie with some issues. I don't think it deserved Best Picture, but I wouldn't call it a travesty or anything.

And yeah, Moonlight totally felt overly reactionary, like the pendulum swung too far too fast in the other direction. I enjoyed it, and thought it was good, but La La Land was fantastic, and everything you want a Best Picture winner to be.

Do you listen to Bill Simmons on The Ringer? He and a couple of those guys have started redoing each of the Oscars five years after the fact. He has the same philosophy - that we can't really judge until we've had the proper time away for history to help decide. They recently redid 2014, I think it was, and it was fascinating how different it would be now with what has aged well and what hasn't.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, it's so good, right? I remember seeing the show as a kid, but I couldn't remember a thing about the story itself. Such a hilarious refresher/breakdown.
Average Joe
AG
TCTTS said:

Except that NOTHING can prepare you for Cats, i.e. what will be the THE cinematic experience of our lifetime...

I haven't seen anything on it yet but I'm going to assume it's going to be the play and not a remake of Sleepwalkers.
TXAG 05
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

People didn't like The King's Speech?

I saw it on Netflix earlier this year and loved it. Granted, I had just finished The Crown and was hungry for more royal stuff.

But yeah, Cats is never gonna be an Avatar. Won't even be a Lion King. Lol. I could see it being a Greatest Showman level hit, but I guess we'll know better by Friday.

It's not that people disliked The King's Speech. I like it too. But have you heard anyone mention it in the past decade? Compared to The Social Network, which is still talked about and still considered one of the best movies of the century so far. It's just one of the scenarios where if The King's Speech hadn't won, it might be better off, because then it's not the flavor of the month that beat the all-timer, which still rubs people the wrong way.

What about Social Network makes it so great and an all timer? I liked it, but have never thought it was anything special. Texags seems to have a hard on for it, but I've never met anyone who felt it was more than just a good movie.
Malachi Constant
AG
WOW! Completely different tone than the teaser, and much more in line with what we've been hearing about this movie.

I really like the near-future of colonies on the moon and what looks like Mars. Sort of a total recall vibe.

Can't wait for this one.
TCTTS
AG

Duncan Idaho
Group sex and flying space turtles?

If not, I have no interest
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, the Terminator: Dark Fate trailer should be dropping at some point between 11 AM and noon PST, while the Top Gun: Maverick trailer should be dropping at some point between 11:45 AM and noon PST.
Malachi Constant
AG
Hell Yeah Trailer Day 2019
fig96
AG
So f-ing in.
Fairview
AG
TCTTS
AG
Today really is ALL of the trailers. Looks like the Cats trailer is moving up from tomorrow to today. In 15 minutes, potentially...

TCTTS
AG
I can't leave my computer! I keep trying to walk down the street for some Chipotle. So hungry...
TCTTS
AG
Ha, nice.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, no...

Jim01
AG
That is... interesting... Maybe in the movie it will be a seamless world, but a lot of the shots looked a bit weird with that mix of CGI and realness. Definitely not sure on this one.
schmendeler
AG
How do you make it through a day on the set of that movie and not think to yourself how ridiculous this whole thing is.

I kept waiting for Mike Myers as the cat in the hat to show up.
Jim01
AG
True but the play looks ridiculous too and it's one of the longest running plays in history.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Hahaha, seriously. Twitter is losing its damn mind over how terrible this looks, and I'm right there with them. It looks sooooo dumb and weird and creepy and just not right at all.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Yeah there is definitely a lot of floating face going on. It'll be interesting too because Tom Hooper loves him some close ups, but these close ups only show how bad the CGI is....
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

Oh, no...

NopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNope
TCTTS
Dro07
AG
Im allergic to cats so I'm out...
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS
AG
I don't know if you made this or found it, but either way this wins the internet today.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't know if you made this or found it, but either way this wins the internet today.

That's an SP original. First one I've made in a long time. Cats deserved it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.