Cobra Kai

91,879 Views | 708 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Look guys... said:

Bruce Almighty said:

SWC Ag said:

Shai-Hulud said:

But Jackie Chan and Will Smith's brat kid arent showing up right?
Nope. Not part of the real KK universe. Thank god.
But what about Hilary Swank?
WTF do you think they were talking about?
who's they? i haven't really read through the thread.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

Oh my friend, but you've forgotten that Julie Pierce is a part of this universe (Macchio himself affirmed that a few years back). It seems pretty obvious that they're bringing Silver back next season (that phone call Kreese made). Might we see Julie show up and somehow "tame" Tory??
[url=https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2948993/9][/url][url=https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2948993/9][/url]1

Shai-Hulud
In reply to SWC Ag 8:26a

AG

[url=https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2948993/9][/url][url=https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2948993/9][/url]

SWC Ag
In reply to Shai-Hulud 8:35a

AG

Quote:

Shai-Hulud said:
[url=https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2948993/9][/url][url=https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2948993/9][/url]

Bruce Almighty
In reply to SWC Ag 8:57a

AG

Quote:

Quote:

Shai-Hulud said:
SWC Ag said:
jac4
AG
SWC Ag said:

Bruce Almighty said:

SWC Ag said:

Shai-Hulud said:

Julie Pierce is Hilary Swank.
Finkle is Einhorn.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
SWC Ag said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

this season was well.... there is no sideways thumb emoticon. So had to go with popcorn. This is a true popcorn season just fun to watch overall but don't think about anything too much it isn't deep or really meaningful. It is what it is.

Hard to top last seasons all out brawl - so they had to do more brawls only more convoluted. and they had to keep changing the mix, the instigators, and manufacture surprise that was not surprising. heavy handed in the kid aspects. Sam is annoying, most of the rest are just caricatures at this point. and the kids were more over the top dramatic - unrealistic even for HS kids.

the best parts were the nostalgia moments
- actually loved the visit to Okinawa and those characters reappearing too. Well done
- of course Ali was great, she is awesome and brought a much needed balance to the finale and some nostalgic looks back as well

Daniel and Johnny - both have their own arcs that are still intriguing enough. i care about them 100x more than any of the kids.

Kreese - well he was always the natural villain. The backstory was actually done well - insightful into his psyche and it worked.

Lots of twists and turns to align this thing for the end and I assume the final tournament drama - had to contort things to get people changing sides and then come together in somewhat contrived ways. But it works in the end I suppose. Looking forward to what I hope and assume will be a pretty great S4 and the final season. We've run through about all the backstory and nostalgia this can muster except for one more thing....

Of course we need KKIII nostalgia (as bad as it was) and that means the return of Terry Silver and perhaps Mike Barnes too? Terry Silver will likely be a silver haired Silver now if you've seen his pics of late (Thomas Ian Griffith). He was over the top but Cobra Kai is about embracing over the top + nostalgia so it is perfect and of course the finale alluded to his return. Plus we need to balance the Johnny+Daniel side with Kreese+Silver. Makes sense. Again...this should be the end though.

Oh my friend, but you've forgotten that Julie Pierce is a part of this universe (Macchio himself affirmed that a few years back). It seems pretty obvious that they're bringing Silver back next season (that phone call Kreese made). Might we see Julie show up and somehow "tame" Tory??

I heard the producers/writers said they have talked about every potential character from the Miyagi universe....but let's hope Hillary Swank is too big of a star to do it and they realize the "Next Karate Kid" movie was so reviled that it has no nostalgia for anyone.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
SWC Ag said:

Shai-Hulud said:

Specifically not part of the Miyagi universe which is what the writers have talked about.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's better than KK Part III, though.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

disagree.

IMDB has

KKIII = 5.3
NextKK = 4.5

both bad but I'll take KKIII over NextKK any day personally.
Rudyjax
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

disagree.

IMDB has

KKIII = 5.3
NextKK = 4.5

both bad but I'll take KKIII over NextKK any day personally.
But boobs.

So NextKK.

I don't think I've seen Karate Kid 3. I guess I need to go watch it over the next 2 years while waiting.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I haven't seen The Next Karate Kid of the Chan version, but thought part 2 and part 3 were ok. I haven't seen either in over 20 years, so I don't know what adult me would think.
Txgunrnnr
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

this season was well.... there is no sideways thumb emoticon. So had to go with popcorn. This is a true popcorn season just fun to watch overall but don't think about anything too much it isn't deep or really meaningful. It is what it is.

Hard to top last seasons all out brawl - so they had to do more brawls only more convoluted. and they had to keep changing the mix, the instigators, and manufacture surprise that was not surprising. heavy handed in the kid aspects. Sam is annoying, most of the rest are just caricatures at this point. and the kids were more over the top dramatic - unrealistic even for HS kids.

the best parts were the nostalgia moments
- actually loved the visit to Okinawa and those characters reappearing too. Well done
- of course Ali was great, she is awesome and brought a much needed balance to the finale and some nostalgic looks back as well

Daniel and Johnny - both have their own arcs that are still intriguing enough. i care about them 100x more than any of the kids.

Kreese - well he was always the natural villain. The backstory was actually done well - insightful into his psyche and it worked.

Lots of twists and turns to align this thing for the end and I assume the final tournament drama - had to contort things to get people changing sides and then come together in somewhat contrived ways. But it works in the end I suppose. Looking forward to what I hope and assume will be a pretty great S4 and the final season. We've run through about all the backstory and nostalgia this can muster except for one more thing....

Of course we need KKIII nostalgia (as bad as it was) and that means the return of Terry Silver and perhaps Mike Barnes too? Terry Silver will likely be a silver haired Silver now if you've seen his pics of late (Thomas Ian Griffith). He was over the top but Cobra Kai is about embracing over the top + nostalgia so it is perfect and of course the finale alluded to his return. Plus we need to balance the Johnny+Daniel side with Kreese+Silver. Makes sense. Again...this should be the end though.

Wait, that's popcorn? I really had no idea! Thanks for clearing that up for me.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I like KK III, cheesy as it is. But I just recently watched it Next KK over the Thanksgiving break, and enjoyed it quite a bit.
Rudyjax
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I like KK III, cheesy as it is. But I just recently watched it Next KK over the Thanksgiving break, and enjoyed it quite a bit.
I was 12 when KK came out and still love it. I'm neutral on KK2, and at 14 I could see the cheese.

At 17, I wanted to go Cobra Kai on Daniel and his whinging.

Philo B 93
If you want to know who will likely be in season 4, spoil it for yourself by watching Karate Kid Separated Apart with Josh Gad on YouTube. I watched it before season 3 and was surprised that the two from Okinawa in KK 2 were guests on the zoom interview with other surprises who look to be getting set up for season 4.
Rudyjax
AG
Philo B 93 said:

If you want to know who will likely be in season 4, spoil it for yourself by watching Karate Kid Separated Apart with Josh Gad on YouTube. I watched it before season 3 and was surprised that the two from Okinawa in KK 2 were guests on the zoom interview with other surprises who look to be getting set up for season 4.
I watched that but it didn't really spoil anything.

I had been drinking all day prior so maybe I didn't register.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ramblin_ag02
AG
Overall liked the season and was even impressed they tried to humanize Kreese. The call backs were great and not overdone.

My only big problem is the randomly vanishing characters. First it was Sam's brother Anthony, and then it was her childhood friend Aisha. I'm beginning to think Sam has schizophrenia and these people really don't exist like in "A Beautiful Mind"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Duncan Idaho
Clearly not a younger child. Even in real life, we get written out of the story all of the time.
Rudyjax
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Overall liked the season and was even impressed they tried to humanize Kreese. The call backs were great and not overdone.

My only big problem is the randomly vanishing characters. First it was Sam's brother Anthony, and then it was her childhood friend Aisha. I'm beginning to think Sam has schizophrenia and these people really don't exist like in "A Beautiful Mind"
They're taking a lot of heat for writing out the only black character.

Now, the best thing was getting rid of the nearly useless Anthony.
Tanya 93
Duncan Idaho said:

Clearly not a younger child. Even in real life, we get written out of the story all of the time.

Chuck Cunningham says hi
Rudyjax
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Chuck Cunningham says hi

I was going to say the Chuck'd Anthony but didn't think most would understand.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Look guys... said:

Tanya 93 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Chuck Cunningham says hi

Pretty sure someone already made that joke earlier in the thread, but I ain't gonna go looking for it.

Was the black chick written out? I just assumed she got work on another series or something. Seemed to me that there were a whole lot more characters that were less important than her than they could've written out if that was they're desire.
Rudyjax
AG
SWC Ag said:

Look guys... said:

Tanya 93 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Chuck Cunningham says hi

Pretty sure someone already made that joke earlier in the thread, but I ain't gonna go looking for it.

Was the black chick written out? I just assumed she got work on another series or something. Seemed to me that there were a whole lot more characters that were less important than her than they could've written out if that was they're desire.
I was going to make it on January 1, but didn't. I did mention no Anthony.

I think she's having issues, and they said they didn't have a part for her. I did some reading on it and got that from reading between the lines.
Rudyjax
AG
Look guys... said:

Daniel, Tory, and Robby are the worst written characters.

Well except for Daniels son. Not sure why they haven't Chuck'd him out.

I did say it, I must've been drunk
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Look guys... said:

Look guys... said:

Daniel, Tory, and Robby are the worst written characters.

Well except for Daniels son. Not sure why they haven't Chuck'd him out.

I did say it, I must've been drunk
hahaha. well done.
oragator
My honest question is whether the writers realize how completely cheesy this is half the time? Or whether it is sharknado esque?
Rudyjax
AG
My email client for work is Gmail. I use predictive text when typing emails.

Today I typed:

Hi Daniel,
You're the best around.

Google suggested the italicized as what is next.
rynning
AG
Interesting. I tried it in gmail and that didn't happen, even when the recipient was a "daniel". Not sure how it predicts...
Rudyjax
AG
rynning said:

Interesting. I tried it in gmail and that didn't happen, even when the recipient was a "daniel". Not sure how it predicts...
dunno. What did it predict?
rynning
AG
You're welcome

You're the best
Aust Ag
AG
I don't know how far along I am...want to say like 4 episodes. Trying really hard to watch this, but the cafeteria fight scene was sooo bad, and as a parent of teenagers, I'm like "No way this goes down at all these days, and if it did, it would have been broken up by teachers or campus security in like 10 seconds".

I know, I know, relax and just enjoy it for what it is.. But it seems like every 10 minutes something plot stupid is going on, usually with the teenagers. Like Macchio, wife is niiice. Not sure about the rest, should I keep going and hang in here?

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Aust Ag said:

I don't know how far along I am...want to say like 4 episodes. Trying really hard to watch this, but the cafeteria fight scene was sooo bad, and as a parent of teenagers, I'm like "No way this goes down at all these days, and if it did, it would have been broken up by teachers or campus security in like 10 seconds".

I know, I know, relax and just enjoy it for what it is.. But it seems like every 10 minutes something plot stupid is going on, usually with the teenagers. Like Macchio, wife is niiice. Not sure about the rest, should I keep going and hang in here?

If you don't like it at this point you might as well give up. It is what it is and you either love it or hate it.
CrottyKid
AG
SWC Ag said:

Aust Ag said:

If you don't like it at this point you might as well give up. It is what it is and you either love it or hate it.
Agreed. It is a silly 80's spinoff that is a campy version of 80's "bad ass". Either you like the carefree nature of it or you don't. If you don't, go watch Bridgerton.
gigemags-99
AG
Johnny's character and one liners were enough for me to love this show despite other cheesy stuff.

So many great things thrown into the show that you have to pay attention to, or know about from other Karate Kid related material.

My favorite scene was episode 1 in season 3 when all of the parents are at the town hall to talk about the school brawl. Daniel says "I was bullied and karate saved me". Some random dude in the crowd yells "I heard you were the bully!" Lol! You have to know about the YouTube video that was done to show the perspective that Daniel as the bully in Karate Kid 1.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I loved season 1. Season 2 was ok but heavy on the teen drama. The last episode was awful. Being a teacher, it's hard to overlook the absolute stupidity of that episode. Season 3 was somewhere in the middle.
rynning
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I loved season 1. Season 2 was ok but heavy on the teen drama. The last episode was awful. Being a teacher, it's hard to overlook the absolute stupidity of that episode. Season 3 was somewhere in the middle.
I thought the final of season 2 was over-the-top fantastic, and it had a great "cliff hanger" ending. It's FICTION.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.