77,434 Views | 850 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally starting to get enough news to warrant a thread.

All the major players from the first one returning (even Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Lang who are both dead), but the big news is Kate Winslet joins the movie. Nice little Titanic reunion.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/kate-winslet-avatar-james-cameron-1202579906/

New cast:

Duncan Idaho
Too many kids

AgMarauder04
AG
Too many movies.

(Should have stopped at one.)

What are the gonna do since both Fern Gully and Pocahontas only had 2?
pimplepopper
AG
Token white kid.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gougler08
AG
This movie is 3+ years out and we are already getting articles about it in EW? Bleh
SeattleAgJr
Ah yes. The movie series for which nobody actually wants a sequel. Yet we're getting four of them.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Seriously, who the f*** cares about this movie "series" anymore? These are literally the sequels not a single person asked for.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Yawn. Will take a pass on this. Avatar was not a bad movie ... if you count blatantly ripping off Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, etc as not bad. I've grown to really dislike James Cameron, first for his holier-than-thou stance on trying to make a movie where he supposedly found the bones of Christ, to more recently his idiotic comments regarding Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. He hasn't made a movie I consider worth watching more than once since True Lies.
Professor Frick
AG
I'm reminded of Amy Poehler's joke at the Golden Globes a while back

speaking about Katherine Bigalow:

"I haven't been following the controversy around Zero Dark Thirty, but when it comes to torture, I trust the woman who spent three years married to James Cameron"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This went as expected.
JuliusCaesarAggie
The Papyrus skit from SNL is the only sequel Avatar needs
Bruce Almighty
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Ah yes. The movie series for which nobody actually wants a sequel. Yet we're getting four of them.
I do.
rhoswen
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This went as expected.

I opened it fully expecting a negative post or two. y'all went above & beyond!
rhoswen
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

SeattleAgJr said:

I do.

Me two.
Urban Ag
AG
Looks like Nickelodeon
TCTTS
AG
Thread might need to be renamed. Not just Avatar 2 coming down the pike...

Filming on all four sequels began Monday. There's no looking back now. Pandora or bust!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Collider mentioned that the budget for the 4 movies is $1B.

That's pretty insane.
TCTTS
AG
Resulting in each literally being the four most expensive movies ever made. I know Fox isn't taking that much of a gamble, all things considered, but man, they must have all the confidence in the world in these first two sequels to think people are going to come back again for the next too. Granted, all four scripts are already locked and loaded, so that helps - they know exactly where all this is going - but still.

Overall, I make fun of the overkill nature of it all, and none of us know a single person who's asking for these movies, but I've learned to never, ever underestimate James Cameron. These sequels may in fact be geared more toward the Disney crowd (just based on the photo above - no has any real idea), but one thing is certain and that's that these will be the most technologically advanced movies ever made. Cameron will likely change the landscape yet again with whatever he's cooking up, and no matter how much we make fun of the idea of these movies, we'll all likely be there for one if not all four of the sequels.
DB Coach
AG
TCTTS said:

Resulting in each literally being the four most expensive movies ever made. I know Fox isn't taking that much of a gamble, all things considered, but man, they must have all the confidence in the world in these first two sequels to think people are going to come back again for the next too. Granted, all four scripts are already locked and loaded, so that helps - they know exactly where all this is going - but still.

Overall, I make fun of the overkill nature of it all, and none of us know a single person who's asking for these movies, but I've learned to never, ever underestimate James Cameron. These sequels may in fact be geared more toward the Disney crowd (just based on the photo above - no has any real idea), but one thing is certain and that's that these will be the most technologically advanced movies ever made. Cameron will likely change the landscape yet again with whatever he's cooking up, and no matter how much we make fun of the idea of these movies, we'll all likely be there for one if not all four of the sequels.
I agree with this message.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

....These sequels may in fact be geared more toward the Disney crowd....

Don't underestimate this part. While I have zero interest in seeing anymore of these films, remember that Disney is so confident that they build a whole Pandora World in their Animal Kingdom park. Being passholders we checked it out a few months ago and of course being Disney, they did a fantastic job and it's pretty damn cool. And naturally that got my son interested in the movie, so of course we had to watch the first movie, and I guarantee he's going to want to see the next one, too. I can also guarantee he won't be the only kid who does.
bedofbrass33
AG
Seems like all the technical folks with industry ties like you always say Avatar completely changed the whole movie industry.

However, I don't recall another movie like Avatar with the "photorealistic" animation. Also, if memory serves, you still rail against overly CGIed movies (which I completely agree with) so that tech obviously hasn't improved.

I'm dead serious and not trolling. How, exactly, did Avatar completely change the movie making landscape with tech no one else has used and a ripped off plot? How will four concurrently filmed movies with the same tech and probably more borrowed plot lines once again change the movie landscape?
YouBet
AG
He's making 5 of these? Wow.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
bedofbrass33 said:

How will four concurrently filmed movies with the same tech and probably more borrowed plot lines once again change the movie landscape?
This is a good point:

These are being filmed concurrently with the same technology from the first one to the last one. The first will hit in 2020 and will "change the movie landscape." The last one (filmed with the exact same tech) comes out in 2025. That's a five year gap with the same look/feel/effects with no changes to keep up with advances that happen post-2020.

And I remember reading an article that I'll have to try and track down, but as for the Disney Pandora attractions at Animal Kingdom: Disney experienced a big jump in ticket sales when it opened as some people wanted to be the first to see it. However, by late summer attendance had dropped back down to their usual numbers. Avatar isn't drawing more crowds than what the park experienced before it opened. Not really a sign that these sequels are hotly anticipated.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Will the Avatar area pull in thousands of more people to the park all on its own? No.

Will having it in the park spark interest in seeing the upcoming movies amongst the park visitors, when maybe prior to going to the park they had none? I'd be willing to bet yes for many.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Will the Avatar area pull in thousands of more people to the park all on its own? No.

Will having it in the park spark interest in seeing the upcoming movies amongst the park visitors, when maybe prior to going to the park they had none? I'd be willing to bet yes for many.
They better hope so, because there are four movies counting on it.
double aught
AG
I don't know if I've ever seen sentiment for a movie do more of a 180 than it has for Avatar.
Coppell97
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
double aught said:

I don't know if I've ever seen sentiment for a movie do more of a 180 than it has for Avatar.
Maybe Titanic?

Wait.........I sense a trend, here.
double aught
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

double aught said:

Maybe Titanic?

Wait.........I sense a trend, here.
And both were predicted to be epic failures during production. Like TC said,I wouldn't count out James Cameron yet.
TCTTS
AG
bedofbrass33 said:

Seems like all the technical folks with industry ties like you always say Avatar completely changed the whole movie industry.

However, I don't recall another movie like Avatar with the "photorealistic" animation. Also, if memory serves, you still rail against overly CGIed movies (which I completely agree with) so that tech obviously hasn't improved.

I'm dead serious and not trolling. How, exactly, did Avatar completely change the movie making landscape with tech no one else has used and a ripped off plot? How will four concurrently filmed movies with the same tech and probably more borrowed plot lines once again change the movie landscape?

For one... 3D. In 2009, there were hardly any movies in 3D. Avatar came out at the end of that year, featuring quite possibly the best 3D audiences had ever seen (and the only movie I've ever felt actually benefitted from it), and suddenly every blockbuster and IMAX movie from then on had to be in 3D. It completely changed the movie-going landscape in that regard, just not for the better in my opinion. It started the whole 3D conversion craze, and basically ruined the blockbuster movie going experience for years to come in terms of the biggest/best theaters only ever showing blockbusters in 3D. And I still hate Cameron for that. We're only now finally started to see that trend dip.

That said, Cameron is attempting to pioneer glasses-free 3D tech for the sequels. I doubt he achieves it with the first two, but that's one way the final two sequels can be more advanced than the first two. By 2024, I could absolutely see this franchise being the first to introduce such tech. And if Cameron does manage to pull it off, that'll go a long way to making up for past transgressions in my book.

Further, it wasn't just 3D, but digital 3D that he pioneered. Sure, digital projectors were in use before 2009, but they were few and far between. After Avatar, theaters across the country began replacing their film projectors and switching to digital in mass. That change would have happened eventually, and much more slowly, but Avatar essentially sped that process up by years. And honestly, I like digital projection far more than film projection anyway. I still prefer movies shot on film, but digital projectors eliminated the scratchy, bouncy, unstableness of the image you'd often find in lesser theaters with film projection. So points for Cameron in that regard.

Beyond that, many of the advancements were under-the-hood, so to speak, from motion capture techniques to the effects themselves, just maybe lesser so with the latter. So when I say "changed the landscape," I don't mean just effects-wise, or in ways that Average Joe movie goer can necessarily quantify on the surface. Mainly, he changed the ways certain movies like this are filmed (being able to see rudimentary effects in real time, while filming, was a big one), and more importantly, changed the way all movies are shown and distributed. And I image he's going to do the same yet again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

And honestly, I like digital projection far more than film projection anyway. I still prefer movies shot on film, but digital projectors eliminated the scratchy, bouncy, unstableness of the image you'd often find in lesser theaters with film projection. So points for Cameron in that regard.
100%.

I watched Interstellar in IMAX 70mm back when it came out, and as great as the movie was and as cool as it was seeing it fill the entire screen, it just didn't look great.

And this was in what is considered the premiere IMAX theater in all of Manhattan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, I'm sure there are many other examples, but the Planet of the Apes trilogy basically took all the advancements Cameron made for Avatar and used those. Mostly in the way they're able to shoot in 3D "virtual space" now when filming mo-cap characters. I don't believe this had been done before Avatar.

Even on LOTR, the technology was fairly new and they still had to shoot everything twice when it involved live action characters interacting with mo-cap characters such as Gollum.
TCTTS
AG
Good point on the Apes movies. They absolutely built on what Cameron did in that regard.
israeliag
AG
Quote:

These are being filmed concurrently with the same technology from the first one to the last one. The first will hit in 2020 and will "change the movie landscape." The last one (filmed with the exact same tech) comes out in 2025. That's a five year gap with the same look/feel/effects with no changes to keep up with advances that happen post-2020.
Look at The Lord of the Rings as to how a series can be filmed at once yet have drastic improvements in tech from one to the next.

There will be reshoots, there will be post-prod that will still need to occur.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.