Fyre Fest debacle

111,562 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by West Point Aggie
boogieman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Man the replies to that tweet are awesome.

So hilarious.
AggieSouth06
When does the smoke monster show up?
MASAXET
AG
TCTTS said:

Reading about Ja Rule's partner and the other backer of Fyre, this tweet actually seems factual

http://gizmodo.com/a-tech-bro-charged-dopes-thousands-for-an-island-getawa-1794739500
Red Five
AG

Holy F the to-do list.

"at LEAST gather pricing/packages"
"think about product placement"
"start thinking about ticket situation for main stage"

Yeah, 2 weeks before the festival. No need to actually get anything done, but we need to AT LEAST start thinking about it.

"Hey, you know that festival we are throwing in 2 weeks and we expect a few thousand people to be there? Should we have a plan in place for how to make sure we can provide those people orderly and efficient access to our main attraction?"
"Nah, we're fine. I mean as long as we think about it I'm sure it will work out."
Bunk Moreland

This was the original promo video for the event.
NColoradoAG
Bunk Moreland said:

This was the original promo video for the event.
Pretty sure most of the dudes attending figured they were gonna get to **** Emily Ratajkowski in a beach front villa.
oragator
That idiotic promo should have been the first clue. Nothing about the bands, the accommodations, the foods, the perks, just models in bikinis for two minutes with cliches and catch phrases. Jean-Ralphio really may have put that together.
Anyone dumb enough to fall for the total wannabee-ness of it deserve what they got.
Bunk Moreland
The promo looks like unused footage from 3 different photoshoots just spliced together.
AggieSouth06
Venmo me.

Red Five
AG
Smash Mouth
NColoradoAG
AggieSouth06 said:

Venmo me.

No Nickelback. No Care
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Most of it is just stock footage combined with what look to be clips ripped straight from Victoria Secret commercials/shoots. I honestly don't know how they didn't get a cease-and-desist based on that promo alone. It's so incredibly - and OBVIOUSLY - misleading. And yeah, no specifics whatsoever. Truly, I do not understand how people don't catch/pay attention to sh*t like that. Out of pure desperation, I guess. The Pablo Escobar line at the end is the icing on the cake, too. It's like blatant and utter ***** bait.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Truly, I do not understand how people don't catch/pay attention to sh*t like that. It's out of pure desperation, I guess. The Pablo Escobar line at the end is the icing on the cake, too. It's like complete and utter ****** bait.

I think they just "expect" it to be well-run and like other festivals, and they're just incredibly ignorant to life in general. That's the only way people could be this stupid to show up to a festival that has no prior history, provided no updates as the months went on, never updated the lineup like they said with all those new artists, didn't show anything of substance, and also was expecting me to fly out of country to attend. You truly have to have no sense about how life actually works.
p_bubel
Sex Panther
AG
israeliag
AG
Is this just an elaborate prank? Like did any of this actually happen or is someone trolling everyone into thinking this thing was actually planned and this stupid failure happened?
schmendeler
AG
as crappy as that promo was, it contains more effort and accomplishment than the entire actual festival.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AggieSouth06 said:

Venmo me.

This reminds me of a promo a couple of comics that I follow ran for one of their shows a couple months ago.

redd38
AG
I'm starting to think this whole thing is just a publicity stunt for a real festival they're gonna have next year.
OCEN99
AG
AggieSouth06 said:

Venmo me.

Let me know when you manage to book Thug****er.
Post removed:
by user
Sex Panther
AG
This is seriously the most entertaining thing I've seen in a long time. I've been transfixed by this all day watching it unfold.

Just go through twitter and read about it. It's so amazing and hilarious.
TCTTS
AG
Same. I've gotten so little work done today because I just can't stop reading about it. It's hilarious on so many levels, with such a satisfying sense of people I despise getting what they deserve. It would make for such a great comedy too, if you took it just a level further where people were truly stranded for days and it resulted in some Lord of the Flies type sh*t. Just a bunch of a d-bag millennials who thought they were taking the trip of a lifetime but are suddenly thrust into such a horrible situation and don't know how to cope with adversity, having to survive and battle it out. Man, it's so rich with potential.
Sex Panther
AG
I was actually gonna suggest to you that O&C needs to figure out how to buy the rights to this. I know it's not based on an article or novella and not what you typically go after... but man, like you said... this has SO much potential.
oragator
An ironic self deprecating comedy about this in the mold of jump street would be gold.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I just sent a Slack message to the group to see if there'd be any interest. But yeah, you wouldn't even need the rights to any of this. Just change the name of the festival and do it as kind of an obvious "inspired by" and you'd be golden.
Bunk Moreland
Sex Panther said:

I was actually gonna suggest to you that O&C needs to figure out how to buy the rights to this. I know it's not based on an article or novella and not what you typically go after... but man, like you said... this has SO much potential.

If anyone ever made a project based around this hilariousness, they would have to troll everyone by having a big premiere that they pump for months only to have it be a disaster.
TCTTS
AG
Problem is, I guarantee you every comedy writer in town is already trying to mine the hell out of this. It's almost too obvious.
Al Bula
AG
Can't wait for a South Park lampoon
oragator
TCTTS said:

Problem is, I guarantee you every comedy writer in town is already trying to mine the hell out of this. It's almost too obvious.
Haha, I agree. I grew up with a pretty famous comedy director, if I were to send this idea to him he would probably think I was borderline ******ed for not assuming he probably already had half a script in his brain. It almost writes itself.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Topaz said:

Tobias Funke said:

What's the joke with the ball pit?

I think it's photo-shopped from the infamous Dashcon.

that's gold, i had never heard of that
israeliag
AG
This goes only one of two ways: Todd Philips is hired to direct it, or Eli Roth is.
TCTTS
AG
So true.
AliasMan02
AG
So I haven't been following this but surely what happened is Ja and his buddies had this idea, farmed it out to some event company who just straight up stole their money.

Or

The event people actually hatched this scheme and convinced Ja to put his name on it.

Right?

Either way I kinda wanna put something on now. I could throw a pretty epic party if the goal was to be as extravagant as possible.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.