*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,551 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
Shelton98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Anyone recommend a good TD s3 podcast? Looking for something that dives deeper than the ringer podcast mentioned a few pages back.
I'm not a podcast guy.... but I've been watching a "show?" on youtube called "The Flat Circle" that dives pretty deep into every episode.
Not_Sure
AG
I'm a big fan of Bald Move

http://baldmove.com/category/true-detective/
expresswrittenconsent
Thx to you both!
duck79
AG
In the preview after tonight's episode was the detectives wife talking to the missing girl in that bedroom?
Aggie12B
AG
Shelton98 said:

cclearman said:

I'm thinking there's an automatic rifle in that bag.

More than one.
Tonight, in episode 4, looked like it showed at least a couple of AKs plus a claymore when Woodard opened up his bag.
mazzag
AG
Looks like she had a notepad too. Probably so. But this isn't about her. I thinks it's about whatever they did as detectives in the 90's.
FancyKetchup14
AG
What a mf'in cliff hanger.
TCTTS
AG
Was it really, though? That hick's gonna die and all the Trash Man stuff feels so ancillary in general.
TCTTS
AG
Also, the third/latest timeline is officially starting to feel pointless to me. Or, rather, like filler to try and separate the structure from season one more. I'm just not into it at all, and generally dislike watching dementia/Alzheimer's in movies/TV in general. I get that that's exactly what's going to lead to some big realization or reveal whatever, but I can also already anticiapte how cheap and manufactured that's potentially going to feel.

Two timelines only would have allowed for more time on character or the case or just about anything else, and I find myself wishing more and more that we were just dealing with 1980 and 1990. It's also appearing as if things were covered up in BOTH the '80 and '90 cases and that feels kind of redundant.

Hopefully 2015 is really going somewhere, though.
TCTTS
AG
All that said, I don't mean to sh*t on the season so far. Overall, I REALLY like almost everything else in '80 and '90. I wish it was all a little creepier, and that there was just a bit more lore or whatever, but I'm into the season for the most part. I just wish Pizzolatto would keep his ambition in check.
TCTTS
AG
One more quick note - because of the Super Bowl, HBO is releasing next week's episode early - Friday - on HBO Go. Just FYI for those who might pop in around then and accidentally read spoilers, thinking it's not debuting until Sunday.
ApachePilot
AG
Why did purple haze say 'I'll be damned' when he saw the girl in the Walgreens video? I didn't recognize her. Or did I hear that wrong?

On a side note that catholic lady was hot.
PooDoo
AG
ApachePilot said:

Why did purple haze say 'I'll be damned' when he saw the girl in the Walgreens video? I didn't recognize her. Or did I hear that wrong?

On a side note that catholic lady was hot.

He said that because he finally found who he believes to be the Purcell girl.
PooDoo
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, the third/latest timeline is officially starting to feel pointless to me. Or, rather, like filler to try and separate the structure from season one more. I'm just not into it at all, and generally dislike watching dementia/Alzheimer's in movies/TV in general. I get that that's exactly what's going to lead to some big realization or reveal whatever, but I can also already anticiapte how cheap and manufactured that's potentially going to feel.

Two timelines only would have allowed for more time on character or the case or just about anything else, and I find myself wishing more and more that we were just dealing with 1980 and 1990. It's also appearing as if things were covered up in BOTH the '80 and '90 cases and that feels kind of redundant.

I think this episode was amazing. I loved it.

Didn't Hays say he felt like he poisoned his wife with the case? Looks like he's haunted by a lot of the ghosts he's killed. I'm guessing his wife's death is somehow involved in the case. Also, anyone notice the white guy in the western shirt in the group of ghosts? Was that the pederast from the barn?

I thought cutting the intensity of the chase scene with Roland's comment about the prison sex line being Hays' go-to was perfect. I really lol'd.

The creepy priest, the scene with Roland taking Mr Purcell back to his place, Mrs Purcell's moment with the teacher, finding out Hays' kid followed in his footsteps... I was ready to watch the rest of the season tonight.

And TC, I know you know way more than me about telling stories and etc... but the Alzhiemers part is pretty interesting for me. I've dealt with it in my family and work so I can really relate to old Hays. He really reminds me of this WW2 vet that had a bad case of sundowners. Anyway, I'm all-in on season 3.

And to make a long post longer... I can't believe how much I'm liking Steven Dorff. I get a real John Travolta from Pulp Fiction vibe when he's in a scene. Like this dude's career is about to get revived.

RC_57
AG
PooDoo said:

TCTTS said:

I think this episode was amazing. I loved it.

Didn't Hays say he felt like he poisoned his wife with the case? Looks like he's haunted by a lot of the ghosts he's killed. I'm guessing his wife's death is somehow involved in the case. Also, anyone notice the white guy in the western shirt in the group of ghosts?
I caught that. Plus, there was also a white woman with a hole (bullet?) in her forehead in the group. 2nd from the left.
ApachePilot
AG
I'm enjoying this show a great deal. Purple Haze is awesome.

This is a show I'll need to watch again to see what little clues I missed the first time.
blazer18
Did Mrs Purcell drop the "children are supposed to laugh" line while talking to the teacher? Pretty sure that was in the note that was sent to the Purcells.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Line of the episode. "How you gonna wear that badge?" "It's got a little clip on it."
Joseph Parrish
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Line of the episode. "How you gonna wear that badge?" "It's got a little clip on it."
Lol, that was my favorite too.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

And TC, I know you know way more than me about telling stories and etc... but the Alzhiemers part is pretty interesting for me. I've dealt with it in my family and work so I can really relate to old Hays. He really reminds me of this WW2 vet that had a bad case of sundowners. Anyway, I'm all-in on season 3.

Yeah, same. My grandmother died from it. So I can relate to it as well, but for me, that's one of the reasons it's somewhat uncomfortable. I just hate watching people lose their memory on screen, period, though, even taking the personal angle out of it. It's just a random/weird pet peeve of mine. I'm also worried it's going to play into some "unreliable narrator"-type trope. Where Pizzolatto does some lame "gotcha" thing and there was really never a missing white girl - it was Hays' daughter all along or some sh*t. I don't think'll be that lame, I could just see him trying some kind of eye-rolling, Shyamalan surprise ending with this.

Quote:

And to make a long post longer... I can't believe how much I'm liking Steven Dorff. I get a real John Travolta from Pulp Fiction vibe when he's in a scene. Like this dude's career is about to get revived.

In 100% agreement there. I think Ali is great, but it's Dorff who's stealing the show for me. He's really, really good, and yeah, I could absolutely seeing him have a revival of sorts after this. If anything, his accent is spot-on.
RC_57
AG
blazer18 said:

Did Mrs Purcell drop the "children are supposed to laugh" line while talking to the teacher? Pretty sure that was in the note that was sent to the Purcells.
Yep, we caught that too

Red herring?
mhayden
I'll stand by my claim that thus far this is basically just S1 with a worse setting and worse acting (which is still pretty damn good).

The pacing has always been too slow and the story/plot has always been rather mediocre (cookie-cutter murder mystery with a somewhat lackluster payoff).

Harrelson and McConaghey and the Louisiana setting made S1.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

#NeverForget

PooDoo
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

#NeverForget

Yeah, I pretty sure #metoo killed a bunch of HBO's nude scenes
Noblemen06
AG
blazer18 said:

Totally missed that...great catch.
MSFC Aggie
AG
In episode one, did anyone else catch the teen driving the bug say "watch the leather, man"?
FancyKetchup14
AG
I'd say the acting is right on par with S1, the dialogue and banter between our two detectives just aren't as good. I think Purple feels, and thinks, slightly similar to Rust, but is just less vocal about it.

Certainly not dogging on the show as it is still better than 90% of what's on TV right now.
WES2006AG
AG
I am completely in on this season but last night's episode was so slow. Hopefully something happens in the near future or this is going to be an 8 part series that should have been a 3 part series.
Jab
AG
What did y'all think about the old lady who made the dolls? My reaction was that she lied about what happened to the dolls and she's covering for someone (maybe at the church). Her memory of a one-eyed black man seemed a little too convenient to me.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. They dig into this a bit on The Watch recap, which had some other great insights as well.
PooDoo
AG
Thought y'all might enjoy this.

I noticed Nic Pizzolatto directed last nights episode. This was one of 2 episodes he directs this year.

Also, David Milch co-wrote this episode and helped shape season 3.
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/true-detective-nic-pizzolatto-deadwood-movie-david-milch-season-3-1202028930/
Noblemen06
AG
My usually-strong Google skills have failed me - "The Watch" recap? Where does one find this?
Robert C. Christian
AG
Noblemen06 said:

My usually-strong Google skills have failed me - "The Watch" recap? Where does one find this?

Looks like it is a podcast. Episode drops today?

https://twitter.com/thewatchpod?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
TCTTS
AG
Noblemen06 said:

Sorry, I meant The Recappables. It's the same host - Chris Ryan - as The Watch...

https://www.theringer.com/the-recappables
GiveEmHellBill
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

"You gave a very vivid description of prison rape...........I think that's going to haunt me awhile."

"You're gonna tell me the truth or I'll teach your a$$ to be an exit."

Jesus, he sure knows his way around prison rape references.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.