*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

122,353 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nagler said:

Blindside05 said:

Yea, I still don't understand why the higher-ups wanted the 80s and 90s investigations to be wrapped up so quickly when there was clearly aspects of the case that didn't add up

Hoyt putting pressure on them?

Public outcry is there too. High profile case, whole city in lockdown, etc etc.
chick79
AG
Any thoughts that there will be a continuation of Season 3? Lack of closure. Also Wayne's son slipping the address where he picked up Wayne in his pocket. Kind of sets this up for a sequel if they want to go in that direction.
BowSowy
AG
chick79 said:

Any thoughts that there will be a continuation of Season 3? Lack of closure. Also Wayne's son slipping the address where he picked up Wayne in his pocket. Kind of sets this up for a sequel if they want to go in that direction.
The only things that weren't wrapped up were Amelia's death, Lucy's cousin's death, and what else? Those (which I think are pretty inconsequential) and his son grabbing the note aren't enough to get another season unless there's some new murder but that isn't TD's MO
Stive
AG
So does anyone wonder why the daughter called in and said all the ugly things about her Tom after that press conference? At that point how did she know he had been looking for her all those years? She'd been in isolation, and no one else had been pretending to be her father.

What sparked that whole blow up on her part?
mazzag
AG
She likely didn't remember him but was on the run and he could've been one of the bad guys she was running from for all she knew.
Boo Weekley
May have been mentioned, but I also thought the idea of little Lucy not recognizing Hays when he was in their yard for a few minutes was weird. In reality, I think she would totally recognize him if she had encountered him just days before.

I realize stuff doesn't always pan out the way you want it to in movies or shows but I feel like they did that whole thing just to mess with us. I got pumped thinking we were about to see a big payoff after he let this case control his entire life and I wanted to see how he handled it...would he breakdown and not be able to contain himself? would he be satisfied/fulfilled? Or would he have a huge void in his life now? I was kind of hoping for an emotional exchange between he and Julie. Then again, I was also hoping Colin Farrell's message to his boy was going to go through at the end of season 2 and was extremely bummed and p*ssed that it didn't.

Guess I like happy endings.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
chick79 said:

i really hope not.
GinaLinetti
AG
Boo Weekley said:

May have been mentioned, but I also thought the idea of little Lucy not recognizing Hays when he was in their yard for a few minutes was weird. In reality, I think she would totally recognize him if she had encountered him just days before.

It was the day before. I think she recognized him but she wouldn't necessarily say, "hey mom! It's the guy from the church yesterday!" They didn't even speak to each other. She ran into his waist then ran to the truck. A 15 second interaction may not have really registered. He just looked familiar
DannyDuberstein
AG
A random adult one day is a random adult the next day to a little kid like that.
ApachePilot
AG
Been thinking about this final episode. My main complaint is the way the truth was discovered. It seemed way to casual for them to sit and the one eyed black guy and for him to just layout the whole story. I did like the twist at the end but the suspense about the crime had me all ready for them to break the case with some suspense and instead they chat with a one eyed black guy over coffee.
ApachePilot
AG
The Debt said:

Nagler said:

Blindside05 said:

Yea, I still don't understand why the higher-ups wanted the 80s and 90s investigations to be wrapped up so quickly when there was clearly aspects of the case that didn't add up

Hoyt putting pressure on them?

Public outcry is there too. High profile case, whole city in lockdown, etc etc.

This too seemed odd. It seemed like the higher ups wanted the case to go away. Did I miss the connection?
unmade bed
chick79 said:

I watch old man Hays and old man Roland in a buddy cop comedy where they solve minor crimes in a senior citizen housing complex.
rambo_99
Here to eat crow - by golly I thought that hand that grabbed Becca on the shifter was white. Upon closer inspection......... may have been lighting.

Pile on texags I can take it. Truth be told I enjoyed the season a lot despite the fact that folks predicted it weeks ago.

Entertaining and top shelf acting is my verdict. Fun season and brought the series back to relevance. Loooing forward to season 4. I'll sink back to lurking now but really enjoy reading this broad.

Keep being smarter than me and giving entertainment insight and breaks!
BowSowy
AG
ApachePilot said:

Been thinking about this final episode. My main complaint is the way the truth was discovered. It seemed way to casual for them to sit and the one eyed black guy and for him to just layout the whole story. I did like the twist at the end but the suspense about the crime had me all ready for them to break the case with some suspense and instead they chat with a one eyed black guy over coffee.
We already basically knew what happened with the crime, as did Hayes and Roland. I keep seeing this complaint and I don't get it. Saying that we were told the truth in a 5 minute deposition is discounting the hours of build up. Heck, look back at some of the posts after E9 on this thread, people were talking about how we know what happened and were wondering what would happen in the last episode. The only new information we got was the stuff about the convent which led up to the final twist.

How else would you have preferred they summarized the events?
claym711
AG
You really don't get how people are disappointed that the entire finale was a 5 minute convo over coffee?
mavsfan4ever
AG
I guess I'm the opposite of most people on this thread. I really did not care for the season that much. The acting was phenomenal, which made it worth watching. But the story was just not interesting st all to me.

However I actually liked the finale. Compared to the rest of the season I thought it was much more enjoyable and was pleased with the little twist.
WES2006AG
AG
claym711 said:

You really don't get how people are disappointed that the entire finale was a 5 minute convo over coffee?
A 5 minute conversation that just confirmed what we pretty much knew from episode 7. I liked the series but it really crawled to a conclusion.
The Debt
There was no real meat to the finale. No one was brought to justice. Just a turnkeys confession.

We are suppose to believe the mother at the end was the missing girl, but the nature of that theory is extremely farfetched and could easily be the imagination of Purple Haze's mind.
benchmark
AG
chick79 said:

No, I don't think it signals a continuation of the story next season. I think it indicates that in the near future (maybe after Becca's visit when things have calmed down) he'll get back to it. He now knows his dad didn't just wander there; he went on purpose but just couldn't remember why. He'll let Roland in on it, and then they will all figure it out and have closure.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
It's also pretty easy to unravel from there.

Let me look into this address.
Oh it's the gardener guy from the shelter.
Hmmmm.... he has the name Mike Ardoin where have I heard that before.
Oh the kid from the case way back when, the one that was sweet on Julie.
Wait he and this woman named their kid Lucy....and she was from the shelter too....hmmm...

Given that info I would think Wayne would retrigger anyway (assuming he is still lucid at times). Or Roland would figure it out. Even the son assuming he has read the moms book (unlike Wayne).

I can't believe Wayne didn't write down - Mike Ardoin, address, kid is Lucy, wife is Julie???

I mean from a plot point sure he wouldn't but in reality the dude knows how forgetful he is...I'd be tattooing stuff on my body like Memento

benchmark
AG
Yes, Wayne himself could have another lucid period and figure it out all by himself. I'm kind of thinking the last images of him disappearing in the foliage in Vietnam signal he's not really every coming back - but I hope not. I want him to have periods of being oriented and able to enjoy his renewed friendship with Roland...

FYI I believe I remember a brief scene in 1990 where Wayne is holding Amelia's finished book, in pre-published format, and remarks that it is good. This lead me to believe he had read all of the book but doesn't remember he has. So in 2015 he keeps saying things like I wish I had read this before and constantly uses it as a reference book for clues. (good writing IMO, adds drama, confusion, suggests additional tension between he and Amelia...)

And I agree, I think he would have made a note to himself so he wouldn't forget the significance of the address. Must have left it at home. LOL In the car he was so rattled he didn't even remember he had the address in his pocket, much less its importance.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The Debt said:

There was no real meat to the finale. No one was brought to justice. Just a turnkeys confession.

We are suppose to believe the mother at the end was the missing girl, but the nature of that theory is extremely farfetched and could easily be the imagination of Purple Haze's mind.
After 35 years, there was never going to be anyone brought to justice. Sort of like trying to solve the JFK assassination. That's actually one of the small issues I had with the series, knowing the entire time that there wasn't going to be any real resolution because even when they figured it out, everyone involved would already be dead or ancient. So it limited some of the dramatic factor to me. Discovering a pedo ring/secret society could have been an interesting angle with more impact to the current time, but like season 1, I never expected anything along those lines to pan out.
mhayden
Finally got to watch the last episode today.

The acting in the series continues to be top notch (even S2 outside of Vince Vaughn's god-awful dialogue), putting it above most other shows just based off of that.

I just continually find the actual detective story rather flimsy (all 3 seasons). I get that it's a look into the actual detectives and I think it does a wonderful job in those parts... the two detectives growing old, every single timeframe was perfect in what their characters evolved into. But IMO the show absolutely makes attempts to be more than that (from the metaphysical "time is a flat circle" to the rich-men-conspiracy theories to the government corruption to your standard detective cliffhangers/reveals) and it continually falls flat in that regard.

Yes I know, it's about the detectives... but we have this cliffhanger pink room scene with the security guard and then... a fairly lackluster reveal.... then this cliffhanger get-in-Hoyt-limo scene and then... a fairly lackluster reveal. After each cliffhanger you've got a thousand theories on what it is that is going to be discovered and what excitement we're in for and in both this season and S1 (S2's storyline such a mess it's not even worth the mention) it's all kind of met with an... "oh, ok.". Same type stuff in the S1 thread.

Just feels like the threads always feel like the mystery and reveals of the show are going to be more than what they end up being -- and I think that's a result of how the show sets up like it is going to be an actual show revolving around the case when it's instead a show revolving around the detectives.

I get it, and I think it does a good job at that part of it -- enough to make it better than most shows on TV... but the pacing, build-up and reveals of the actual case are simply lackluster.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.