*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

122,521 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like it's officially back from the dead. After the rushed production and poor critical reception of season two, there was a question as to whether Pizzolatto would ever return to the series, as he had reportedly soured on the process and had other shows/ideas he wanted to tackle. But it sounds like he got the bug in recent months to give it another go. In fact, he has not only already written the first two episodes of season three, but Deadwood creator David Mlich is joining Pizzolatto in some capacity as well - which is exactly what this series needs. Pizzolatto, if left to his own devices, can get a bit too out there and indulgent. He needs a ***unaga (edit: season one's director - TexAgs sensors the first three letters of his name) or Milch to help keep him in bounds so to speak, which is why I'm cautiously optimistic this go around.

That said, a third season hasn't even been greenlit yet, but all signs point to that happening soon. If so, I could maybe see a late 2018 premiere, but 2019 seems more likely. Could you imagine if it's the former, though? HBO's 2018 slate would include Westworld season two, the final season of Game of Thrones, and True Detective season three, likely in that order, and all back-to-back-to-back. Would be amazing.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Didn't even finish Season 2. Got halfway, but it just wasn't worth the effort for me.
Whoop04
Season 1 is one of the best seasons of any show period (imho). Season 2 was barely watchable. Not sure how to take this news.
oragator
Whoop04 said:

Season 1 is one of the best seasons of any show period (imho). Season 2 was barely watchable. Not sure how to take this news.
Agree. I didn't think season 2 was as bad as some did, but by any measure it was a shell of season one.
I do think though that season 3 makes sense, season one was so over the top amazingly good that they earned a mulligan imo.
Simplebay
AG
Lord please just find a way to get Rust and Marty back on the case. Build them up, friendship, Marty falls off the wagon due to seeing Rust's success as the better cop, back on the wagon to nearly solve the case, only to see Rust killed then Marty gets actual murder revenge on the killer.
pinkdog
season one was so awesome. Yes we need characters as good as the originals.
20ag07
"S2 was a disaster, the creator is a mess and out of control. Let's hire the guy who we gave a blank check to create what became John From Cincinnati to help him out. That should fix the problem."
aggiepaintrain
AG
S1 was some of the best TV ever.
Hope S3 is watchable.

Y'all need to check out Big Little Lies.
Max Power
AG
Al Swearingen better investigate some **********s in season 3.
double aught
AG
Season 2 gets way more crap than it deserves. It's pretty good, but has the misfortune of being compared to season 1. The shootout halfway through the season is some of the most intense TV you'll ever find.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Agreed. As a stand-alone tv police drama, it holds it's own. It just couldn't compete to how nearly perfect season 1 was.
Potcake
AG
Shut your mouth, John From Cincinnatti was awesome, weird, but awesome.
mazzag
ac04
ac04
also, season 2 was better than the vast majority of shows on TV by a pretty good margin.
Ol Jock 99
AG
ac04 said:

also, season 2 was better than the vast majority of shows on TV by a pretty good margin.

Not if you confine your viewing to FX, AMC, and HBO.

That said, looking forward to season 3.
Sailor
This was the best part of season 1, 2, 3, whatever they end up making...

Southlake
They could bring back Rachel McAdams too...
bonfarr
AG
It would be better if they brought back Daddario and made her the sex addict.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Or this girl

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Season 2 was an absolute abortion, comically bad at times. I kept watching thinking surely it would evolve into something more, something better.

At the conclusion, I made a vow not to watch Season 3, if there was one.
Say Chowdah
AG
Pizzolatto was accused of plagiarizing a great deal of the philosophical asides that made McConaughy's character interesting. The accusations appeared very legitimate.

The second season lost a lot of the things that made the first season interesting.

Not sure what to expect.

Maybe he could include Thomas Ligotti to the writing team?
Jim01
AG
I will definitely give S3 a chance at the minimum. S2 suffered from Spiderman 3 syndrome... TOO MANY CHARACTERS!!! They just need to go back to a simple duo with a few strong supporting characters instead of basically four leads (Kitsch, Farrell, McAdams, Vaughn). It was just too crowded and unfocused.
65532ag
Season 1 was some of the best tv ever made. Season 2 was still good tv, however, it did not execute to the standards of season 1 which left most critics and asshats with a sour taste in their mouth. Im glad HBO is giving it another chance and not letting people with no business having a contructive voice dictate plans. I expect season 3 to be good tv at a minimum and much like season 2 still be better than 80 percent of the programs out there now.
cr0wbar
AG
Everyone slow down here - Season 2 just didn't meet the expectations of Season 1. Calling it the worst season of television is hyperbole. Have you seen The Americans and Walking Dead?

Everyone in here is going to watch S3.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
meh.

and I love The Americans.
Squirrel Master
AG
This may just be me, but I feel like lost in the criticisms of season 2, was how good Colin Farrell was in that. He's been a hit or miss guy for me before that, but I thought he gave a legitimately great performance in that.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The Americans is one of the best shoes on TV.
Boo Weekley
Season 1 was so epic that any follow up was going to pale in comparison. I actually enjoyed Season 2 to be honest. It was very different that Season 1, and the acting/casting wasn't perfect, but it was a solid show imo and I think it's just become cool to hate. The ending really bugged me though. Wish that message would have gone through. With so much negativity and darkness, it would have ended on a really cool high note.

Early on, I made a conscious effort to mentally separate the two seasons and treat them as different shows altogether. Kind of like the viewer has to do with episodes of Black Mirror.
Boo Weekley
Squirrel Master said:

This may just be me, but I feel like lost in the criticisms of season 2, was how good Colin Farrell was in that. He's been a hit or miss guy for me before that, but I thought he gave a legitimately great performance in that.
He was awesome in it imo. I thought Taylor Kitsch was nails as well.

Wasn't a huge fan of casting Vince Vaughn in that role but he did ok at times. Better than I was expecting.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The trouble to S2 wasn't the acting.
FancyKetchup14
AG
He was awesome. He also delivered the best threat of all time...

"You ever bully, or hurt someone again, I'll come back here and butt **** your father with your moms headless corpse on this *******ed lawn."
Simplebay
AG
I think he is a great actor. Like really good. He needs a knock out role to get him to the next level
TCTTS
AG
This is awesome news in its own right, but when it's one of your own staff breaking a story of this magnitude, I can't tell you how exciting it feels. I'm in Texas for the holiday, but wish I could have been in the office when this went down tonight. Heard it was epic. Heading into the break with the play this is getting online, it's the kind of exclusive that makes it all worth it...

Wes97
AG
Impressive scoop. Congrats.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.