*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,310 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome man! Great way to start the holiday weekend.

As for the show - I'd have watched the third season regardless but this brings another reason to do so.
The Debt
I, too, am apoplectic.
Al Bula
AG
All the Siskel and Eberts bagging on True Detective Season 2 is entertaining. Classic Texags.
claym711
AG
Season 2 wasn't good. There's a dozen or more shows ongoing or just ending at that time hat blow it out of the water.
Deputy Travis Junior
Say Chowdah said:

Pizzolatto was accused of plagiarizing a great deal of the philosophical asides that made McConaughy's character interesting. The accusations appeared very legitimate.

Is this a big deal? If you want a character's portrayal of a philosophical pessimist to be convincing, he needs to quote the writings and summarize the views of pessimist philosophers.

On other words, of course he's going to sound like an amalgamation of Schopenhauer, Ligotti, Benatar, etc. That's the material the character would have read.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

This is awesome news in its own right, but when it's one of your own staff breaking a story of this magnitude, I can't tell you how exciting it feels. I'm in Texas for the holiday, but wish I could have been in the office when this went down tonight. Heard it was epic. Heading into the break with the play this is getting online, it's the kind of exclusive that makes it all worth it...

I didn't realize Winston from New Girl had an Oscar.
Cancelled
AG
Will I have needed to watch season 2 to understand 3?

Season 1 did a masterful job of portraying that area of Louisiana. the show was bonechilling at times.
Jim01
AG
No. The seasons are stand alone. They characters and settings don't relate to one another.
schmendeler
AG
Remy Danton?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
TCTTS
AG
Scoop confirmed...

Also, if they already have at least five scripts written out of a presumable eight, shooting can't be too far behind. Will probably begin later this year, which means, in 2018, HBO will likely have...

- Westworld (season two - winter/spring?)
- Game of Thrones (eighth and final season - summer?)
- True Detective (season three - fall?)

... back-to-back-to-back. I'm going to go ahead and say that HBO has never, and will never have again, that kind of dramatic lineup in a single calendar year. Just insane.
Max Power
AG
There is no guarantee the final season of GOT is coming next year, there's a chance it doesn't come out till 2019. I hope that isn't the case, but they said it is possible.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I just read that. Sucks. Surely they'll have it ready by next fall, though.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Gaining some traction...looks like we are leaving the city and going back to the country.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/31/true-detective-season-3-2/
Malcolm52
AG
Interesting that they chose the Ozarks as the setting
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Also-also: Some behind-the-scenes details. Original showrunner Nic Pizzolatto will be the sole writer of the series (with the exception of episode 4, which he co-wrote with David Milch, who was brought on board to help Pizzolatto shape the season). Pizzolatto will direct with Jeremy Saulnier (Green Room), who is a newcomer to the franchise.
I'm confused, wasn't he also the sole writer and showrunner for the last season as well? I thought one of the reasons season 2 had it's issues was because he was given total control and wasn't reigned in.
TCTTS
AG
I think Milch was likely involved with the overall structure/story more than they're letting on. Just because he's not credited as a full-on co-writer doesn't mean he didn't have significant influence.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, what were the chances of TWO crime shows now being set in the Ozarks? Weird how fads like these come about every so often.
Max Power
AG
It's not exactly like they are copying Ozark. Ozark takes place in MO and this will take place in Arkansas. Also when he wrote the first season of True Detective it was based in Arkansas, not Louisiana.

Really like that they are bringing in Jeremy Saulnier. I loved Green Room, and Blue Ruin is also great. Highly recommend both if you haven't seen them.
TCTTS
AG
Casting finally starting to heat up. Really like both actors they've signed so far...

Malcolm52
AG
Can't wait!
MROD92
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Nothing will ever top Harrelson/McConaughey, but that's a pretty bad ass duo right there. I love it when former stars like Dorff get a second chance in the spotlight.
Boo Weekley
TCTTS said:

Nothing will ever top Harrelson/McConaughey, but that's a pretty bad ass duo right there. I love it when former stars like Dorff get a second chance in the spotlight.
Hope he nails it
Boo Weekley
And I still think that had season 2 actually been season 1 it would have gotten much more glowing reviews from Texags critics and professional critics alike. Nothing would have ever stood up to season 1 and season 2 certainly falls short of it, but it was still better than numerous cable and netflix shows people have raved about imo. The acting was great and I was certainly sucked in just about the entire time.

Season 1 was one of the all time greatest seasons of any show in history imo.
Sex Panther
AG
I'm not really sure what happened to Stephen Dorff but man I thought he was the bomb in Blade
beanbean
The first 2 seasons were full of A listers and now they are going with Stephen Dorff? That guy has been doing straight to video movies for the last 20 years.
TCTTS
AG
Except for the Sofia Coppola movie he starred in a few years ago.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
+1
Max Power
AG
I'm happy with all these casting moves so far. I'm most excited that Jeremy Saulnier is directing all the episodes. I highly recommend checking out Blue Ruin and Green Room if you haven't seen them, both are suspenseful as hell and violent as ****. Green Room is on Amazon prime, not sure if Blue Ruin is available to stream anywhere.
mhayden
Boo Weekley said:

And I still think that had season 2 actually been season 1 it would have gotten much more glowing reviews from Texags critics and professional critics alike. Nothing would have ever stood up to season 1 and season 2 certainly falls short of it, but it was still better than numerous cable and netflix shows people have raved about imo. The acting was great and I was certainly sucked in just about the entire time.

Season 1 was one of the all time greatest seasons of any show in history imo.

Season 1's storyline wasn't exactly great, but it had incredible performances by both Harrelson and McConaghey that made it great.

Season 2 was an over-acted mess of a storyline.

ApachePilot
AG
TCTTS
AG
Green Room is legit. So good.
Sex Panther
AG
Green Room was awesome. Heard good things about Blue Ruin as well.

Definitely sounds like the guy you want helming this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.