*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,291 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
HTownAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
double aught said:

Season 2 gets way more crap than it deserves. It's pretty good, but has the misfortune of being compared to season 1. The shootout halfway through the season is some of the most intense TV you'll ever find.
Agree with this. I actually liked season 2. Was it season 1? no. But as a stand-alone show it was good, I didn't continually think to compare it to season 1 just enjoyed it for what it was.
spag.ag2003
AG
I thought season 2 was terrible and I don't think it had anything to do with how much I loved season 1.

Regardless, 100% in on this based on the strength of season 1 and Nick's novel "Galveston" which I thought was great as well. You can clearly see the inspiration for True Detective in it.

FancyKetchup14
AG
Not till 2019....

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/11/true-detective-season-3-2019/
TCTTS
AG
Wow. I would have bet money it'd be their fall drama this year. And no Veep this year either? Man, HBO's 2018 slate is pretty damn bare in terms of brand name shows. Hopefully a few new ones will surprise us. On the bright side, True Detective, Game of Thrones, and Veep all back in 2019, along with Damon Lindelof's Watchmen potentially debuting that year as well...
Al Bula
AG
Whoa, had no idea or I'd already forgotten Watchmen was coming to HBO.

I really enjoyed the 2009 adaptation but I understand lots of folks don't like it. The casting for that movie was spot-on. My only gripe was the end didn't match the comics.

For the series, I hope they can incorporate the original ending and add the comic frame story.
FancyKetchup14
AG
TCTTS said:

Wow. I would have bet money it'd be their fall drama this year. And no Veep this year either? Man, HBO's 2018 slate is pretty damn bare in terms of brand name shows. Hopefully a few new ones will surprise us. On the bright side, True Detective, Game of Thrones, and Veep all back in 2019, along with Damon Lindelof's Watchmen potentially debuting that year as well...
Agreed. I was expecting it would take Thrones spot this coming fall. Not having VEEP to look forward to in 2018 is going to be brutal; it's arguably the greatest comedy running right now. Hopefully it just means the final season is that much sweeter.
Sex Panther
AG
RPM said:

Whoa, had no idea or I'd already forgotten Watchmen was coming to HBO.

I really enjoyed the 2009 adaptation but I understand lots of folks don't like it. The casting for that movie was spot-on. My only gripe was the end didn't match the comics.

For the series, I hope they can incorporate the original ending and add the comic frame story.

I thought Ozymandias was a huge miss, even though Matthew Goode is a pretty solid actor. He has even said himself that he was wrong for the role. He's arguably the most important character too, so I think it impacted the movie negatively.
israeliag
AG
He worked very well for me. That was the first time I saw Matthew Goode in anything and his portrayal had this allure, suave, and cockiness that worked perfectly for the character, IMO. To this day if I see him in anything I can't help but to assume that his character has some ulterior motive.

And the film ending was nearly infinitely better than the comic book ending. The only problem for me was that I had no real connection to the Cold War, so being in more of a post-911 timeframe the nearness to doomsday didn't resonate. I suspect if it came out today though, it would resonate much more.

Regardless, I loved that film - it's probably in my top 3 of comic book films, honestly. The characters of Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan were enough to carry the film and make up for any perceived misses.
Sex Panther
AG
israeliag said:

And the film ending was nearly infinitely better than the comic book ending.

No doubt there... while yes the comic is superior, the ending of the movie is so much better it kind of ruins the ending of the book. You almost wonder how Alan Moore didn't come up with that himself. It was basically staring him in the face the whole time.
TCTTS
AG
^ This X 100. The movie ending is FAR superior to the comic book.
TCTTS
AG
Btw, I'm seeing the need for a Watchmen-specific thread, based on this convo alone. Give me a minute...
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

We're at least getting Westworld in 2018, right?
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Btw, I'm seeing the need for a Watchmen-specific thread, based on this convo alone. Give me a minute...

I either forgot or haven't been paying attention to the news of a Watchmen show... that's 100% happening? That's badass
TCTTS
AG
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2924605
TCTTS
AG
Yes. Confirmed. Likely March or April. We should be a getting a premiere date fairly soon.
MW03
AG
Sex Panther said:

I'm not really sure what happened to Stephen Dorff but man I thought he was the bomb in Blade

You ever see FELON? I think you'd dig it hard if you haven't, bud.
TCTTS
AG
Hell yes. What a cast so far...

TCTTS
AG
MaroonStain
AG
TCTTS said:

Hell yes. What a cast so far...

I finished 'Halt and Catch Fire' last night. He carried that show...the last three episodes of last season were awful.
TCTTS
AG
I thought the last scene of the series was perfect, but yeah, otherwise I agree completely. Wasn't a fan of the last season at all really, but the rest of the show was pretty damn great at times. Will be glad to see McNairy back on a series, though, and he seems perfect for this. I know he's a Texas native as well. I think he's maybe form Houston or around that area.
MaroonStain
AG
TCTTS said:

I thought the last scene of the series was perfect, but yeah, otherwise I agree completely. Wasn't a fan of the last season at all really, but the rest of the show was pretty damn great at times. Will be glad to see McNairy back on a series, though, and seems perfect for this. I know he's a Texas native as well. I think he's maybe form Houston or around that area.

Last scene indeed! I thought where has this ****e been the last three episodes?
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Max Power
AG
This is ****ty news. I was really looking forward to seeing a full season done by Saulnier. What scheduling issues comes up after two episodes? Doesn't sound legit, pretty sure this isn't the whole story. I don't watch The Americans so I don't know what to think of the replacement director.
TCTTS
AG
In fairness, Saulnier was only scheduled to direct the first three epeiosdes, not the entire season. Sounds like he and Pizzolatto clashed, though, so he bailed one episode early.
mhayden
Sounds like Pizzolatto clashes with just about everybody.

Maybe S3 will be competent, but starting to think ***unaga and Harrelson/McConaughey's acting contributed more to the success of S1 than Pizzolatto.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, Pizzolatto pretty much sounds like an entitled *****.
FancyKetchup14
AG
The Americans is one of the best shows on tv. I Hope he can bring that same quality over.
PatAg
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

The Americans is one of the best shows on tv. I Hope he can bring that same quality over.
Dont know how involved he was with The Americans, that article blurb just said "director of a few episodes"
gomerschlep
AG
In.
Malcolm52
TCTTS
AG
YES.

January 2019. Confirmed.
TCTTS
AG
By my count, there look to be THREE timelines this go around, spanning 30 years or so, if not more. Cannot wait.
oragator
The trailer before sharp objects tonight looked really good.
Even after season 2, I am in.
MROD92
In

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.