*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,350 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
LHIOB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Debt said:

I'm gonna say one of the high school students got pinned for it. They are all looking for an adult who could hide a daughter, but something is gonna point to a student.

The student claims innocence (because he is) but the prosecution/police demand the whereabouts of the girl. But he doesnt have a clue because he didnt do it. He does time instead of death penalty because he pleads he did it. Then they find her prints in the walgreens and it's obvious they have the wrong person.

They showed them finger printing the bike. They will convict the kid who was playing on the bike...
PooDoo
AG
They did really focus on letting us know the high school kids are up to something, they touched the bike, and the bike was thoroughly dusted for prints.

From Reddit: someone post a moon chart. 11/7/1980 wasn't a full moon.
The Debt
LHIOB said:

The Debt said:

I'm gonna say one of the high school students got pinned for it. They are all looking for an adult who could hide a daughter, but something is gonna point to a student.

The student claims innocence (because he is) but the prosecution/police demand the whereabouts of the girl. But he doesnt have a clue because he didnt do it. He does time instead of death penalty because he pleads he did it. Then they find her prints in the walgreens and it's obvious they have the wrong person.

They showed them finger printing the bike. They will convict the kid who was playing on the bike...

I'll go a step further and say they found physical evidence on the boy or at the crime scene. Maybe even the boy made the dolls for art class and the kid said they liked it so he gave it to em.

But he wears a black sabbath shirt lolol
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Goes along with my theory that Hays will be a very unreliable narrator given his dementia.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ChipFTAC01
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

"You gave a very vivid description of prison rape...........I think that's going to haunt me awhile."

And I am just so blown away by probably the greatest old age makeup work I have ever seen. 2015 Hayes is just so incredible I cannot believe it's makeup.

This. I don't think I even realized it was him at first. Every single time 2015 Hayes comes in I comment on the makes up. Compare that to Old Mandy Moore and her new husband on This is Us where they just sprayed some gray on their temples and drew on some crows feet and called it a day.
Max Power
AG
Finally got around to the second episode last night, I have a few thoughts.

-The West Memphis 3 thing is a little too on the nose, but I figure that's just a setup to send this thing in another direction.
-The three time lines is confusing at times, but not terribly so, once it's all over I'd love to see it recut in a more linear fashion.
-Ali is so good, he's basically playing three characters in this thing at the 3 different points in time. He'll get a nomination at the minimum, but I'd put money on him coming out with an Emmy. I've become a fan of his, he's great in everything. Even on Luke Cage, which isn't good, he was great.

My theory:
-I'm thinking his wife's book becomes a bigger part of this as it goes along. I think it's going to expose some things that paint a lot of people in a bad light, including Hays and West which will cause rifts between them, and Hays with his own family. They are really establishing how important Hays's relationship with his wife is, I just don't think the book is her account of the events, I think it's bigger than that. My hail mary on this thing is the book is ultimately what pieces this whole thing together. Hays is in a constant loop of forgetting and trying to remember, going so far as to leave himself messages on a recorder. Perhaps he reads his wifes book again and figures out what he's been missing all along.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Stive said:

I caught the "been together 10 years" comment as well and the dad also said "she was pregnant when we got together.

The grandma comments about the rumors about her getting pregnant while he was working offshore were about the daughter I believe. That could mean neither of the kids are his.
My wife picked her off by her voice and said "that's the mom from Sling Blade". Funny little tie in with Natalie Canerday being from Russellville AR.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Also the mom from October Sky
Ervin Burrell
AG
If we're getting nitpicky about the moon on November 7th, something else that (very slightly) bothered me. 11/7/80 was a Friday (which Hays even says in the show) but they are interviewing kids in the schoolyard the next day (presumably).
Leggo My Elko
AG

Pretty decent recap from The Ringer.
PooDoo
AG
Y'all want some more info about the kids maternal grandmother?

It's Meryl Streep.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
"I'm interested in the intersectionality of marginalized groups within authoritarian and systemic racist structures."
bam02
AG
Belton Ag
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

"I'm interested in the intersectionality of marginalized groups within authoritarian and systemic racist structures."
I laughed my ass off when she said that and both Hayes and his son looked at each other and kind of rolled their eyes.
AgLaw
AG
Max Power said:

My theory:
-I'm thinking his wife's book becomes a bigger part of this as it goes along. I think it's going to expose some things that paint a lot of people in a bad light, including Hays and West which will cause rifts between them, and Hays with his own family. They are really establishing how important Hays's relationship with his wife is, I just don't think the book is her account of the events, I think it's bigger than that. My hail mary on this thing is the book is ultimately what pieces this whole thing together. Hays is in a constant loop of forgetting and trying to remember, going so far as to leave himself messages on a recorder. Perhaps he reads his wifes book again and figures out what he's been missing all along.

I think it may be the opposite - he's read the book enough time and reveres his wife so much, that version of the story has become his memory. He believes it to be the true accounting. Instead, he will remember flashes of what really happened and finally figure it out.
BMX Bandit
Who says it was the next day?
ApachePilot
AG
Show just gets better
Pignorant
AG
ApachePilot
AG
Pignorant said:

Yellow King?
ApachePilot
AG
ApachePilot said:

Robert C. Christian said:

ApachePilot said:

The first season was so dark. Every character was so flawed if not out right dark. I don't get the same sense this time. But I'm still left with lots of suspicions.

Like why did the kids lie about going to see a dog in the park? Who were they really meeting?

Was it ever said that the kids were actually headed in the direction of the park by witnesses?

Yes I think so. But I'm reflecting on the kids asking to go there to meet the kid and his new dog. When questioned the boy with the dog never made plans to meet at the park. So the boy and girl lied to their dad about the reason they wanted to go to the park.

I should be a detective
Bunk Moreland
Yup. That incredibly obvious plot point was something only a true detective could have picked up.
ApachePilot
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Yup. That incredibly obvious plot point was something only a true detective could have picked up.

Lmao!
AgLaw
AG
2015 Wayne's doctor said his CT scan looked fine. Theory: Wayne's memory loss is a psychosomatic response to his failure to solve the crime. Prediction: As he digs deeper and rexamines the case, his memory loss will fade.
WorthAg95
AG
I thought the doc said "there are no changes"
Col. Steve Austin
AG
ApachePilot said:

Show just gets better
I sure hope so, first two episodes were pretty slow for me. My wife got bored, she probably won't continue the series.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
PooDoo
AG
AgLaw said:

2015 Wayne's doctor said his CT scan looked fine. Theory: Wayne's memory loss is a psychosomatic response to his failure to solve the crime. Prediction: As he digs deeper and rexamines the case, his memory loss will fade.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about Alzhiemers. It's cant be 100% diagnosed until after death so I think thats what he referenced with the comment about the doctor not being sure about what he had.
Al Bula
AG
Thought episode three was boring but it is really hard to manage expectations with this show.
Stive
AG
I thought ep 3 was pretty boring as well.

We picked up on a few things though:

-The image in the family photo album.
-The DA's Office somehow messing over Hays
-The play area in the woods.

What else?
Joseph Parrish
AG
I'm so glad this season isn't crap like Season 2. I'm liking it so far.
PooDoo
AG
In the bonus scenes they said this is the episode setting up the transition to the 90's investigation.
Bunk Moreland
I enjoyed 3 more than 2. Helped build some more background to Purple Hays' relationship with his woman/wife and the tease at the end is basically setting forth the hunt in the 'middle timeline' going forward.
Greeze06
AG
Kids definitely lied to parents on where they were going and also where they have been going.

For some reason I feel like Hays wife has some dark secrets and is involved somewhat.
Sazerac
AG
yeah, there was something ominous about their conversation in 1990 (Ep 3) that made it seem like they knew something / covered something up.

also, the description of a brown car with a black man and white woman....she's pretty light skinned? and she was with a guy in one of the first episodes (outside the town hall meeting). didn't get a look at his car

she was in San Fran in the late 60s / early 70s and got into "some bad stuff".

I was feeling like he ended up covering for her and she's involved...somehow.
Shelton98
AG
cclearman said:

yeah, there was something ominous about their conversation in 1990 (Ep 3) that made it seem like they knew something / covered something up.

also, the description of a brown car with a black man and white woman....she's pretty light skinned? and she was with a guy in one of the first episodes (outside the town hall meeting). didn't get a look at his car

she was in San Fran in the late 60s / early 70s and got into "some bad stuff".

I was feeling like he ended up covering for her and she's involved...somehow.
I don't think she'd write a book about it if she was involved.
ConsolTigerAg92
AG
Meat packing company owner is a suspect. Lost his daughter so created the foundation paying for the reward. Maybe he wanted a replacement for his daughter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.