*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,435 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Enjoyed first 2 eps but I'm not completely hooked in like I want to be.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
So time to start delving into the minutiae that made season 1 so fun (and frustrating as we later found out none of it mattered).

- The D&D book found in Will's room titled "The Forests of Leng" is not an actual book. Leng is a Lovecraftian reference regarding a cold plateau where realities are said to converge. It is a location that is referenced by many other authors including Stephen King and GRRM. Leng's first mention was in a story called "Celephais" which was also the first mention of Lovecraft's "High Priest Not to be Described" who was a high priest with yellow silk that covered his face. There is some suggestion that this high priest is also the Yellow King (an entity first imagined by Ambrose Bierce, but also mentioned by Lovecraft).

- The reporter directly references the "crooked spiral" from season 1 and its association with pedophile rings.

- The poem Amelia is reading when "Purple" Hays first meets her is Robert Warren's "Tell me a Story". It is a poem about time passing us without notice as children (at least the first half, haven't come to a conclusion on the second half), and obviously ties into the time motif of the 1st season and clearly the 3rd season, as well. The second poem is another of Robert Warren's "IV. Love and Knowledge". This is a poem that is dedicated to Audubon, the famous naturalist, known for his books on birds. The poem asks the reader to question whether the murder of such a beautiful creature as a bird is worth it for the knowledge that these murders provided, which clearly was used as a reference to the murder of Will.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Southlake
Spoiler Alert.

I don't think the killer is any of the characters introduced in the first two episodes. I'm leaning towards someone who the ****ty Mother has had a relationship with, but she doesn't know is the killer.

Many layers, including triple time segments add to the complexity and mysteries not only in the case, but also in the characters.

Ali is the best I've ever seen him.

Couple facts about Ali as I saw him in Kimmel the other night: He played basketball in college - you can tell the way he moves with grace and athleticism. And he has cut his own hair all his life. He even made spending money in college cutting his friend's hair.

He's like one of my favorite guys now. I want to be his friend and beat him in basketball.
PooDoo
AG
There was the hint from the grandma... the girl was not his biological daughter.

Could her biological dad be the one coming back into the picture?

Those dolls look a lot like the wedding drawing the girl had in her room.

Pretty sure there was some kind of plan to run away or something. Maybe the new dad wasn't expecting the brother to come along and or something.

I also suspect the mother either directly or indirectly of knowing more than what she's letting on.
Malcolm52
AG
Will be interesting to see what comes of the State DA shadiness as well
PooDoo
AG
Going back to look at the trailers is pretty interesting.

Stive
AG
Wow.....especially that second one.
Stive
AG
The dolls looking like the wedding picture crossed my mind as well. But that could be chalked up to her drawing the doll after it was given to her on Halloween right?
TCTTS
AG
Great post-show recaps from The Ringer. A decent number of little things mentioned that I missed...

PooDoo
AG
Don't think I can handle a 30 min recap on an hour show... they need to trim that down.
Shelton98
AG
Stive said:

AirplaneAg09 said:

Really enjoyed the first two episodes last night. Random thoughts I had:

-Were the teenagers playing with Will or Julie's bike that night while getting drunk at the Ranger tower? Is that where Ali found it after that kid threw it down?

-When the film crew mentioned the wife's book to Ali the first time I got the impression that the book didn't paint him in a good light for some reason. Ali made some comment about how good of a job she did that stuck out to me.

-I'm not sure if Ali's daughter in LA is dead or what, but think Ali maybe did something on the first or second time through the case that split them apart. Maybe something to do with the wife's book.

-I thought they handled the underlying race stuff pretty well. The first couple of mentions had me wondering if that was going to become some huge theme throughout the show but I thought the scene between Ali and Dorff blatantly addressing it was telling. I'm sure it will be a reoccuring theme but I think the war veteran stuff is gonna be more impactful on the characters.

-Love that they got back to the gritty setting, music, cinematography, etc.
I got the impression that it was definitely the kid's bikes (at least one of them) but later on when the bike he finds is extremely far away from that tower and on the same path that led to the bodies I got confused.

I think his daughter is dead or excommunicated over something. The son and DIL seem to be covering up something about her (unless they're just really tired of dad asking about her).

I probably misinterpreted, but I thought the 2nd time that Hayes suggested they invite the LA sister back was kind of a hint at Alzheimer's.... and the son was upset that his old man was losing his mind. I'll have to watch that part again.
astros4545
AG
Definitely Alzheimer's

But also so family drama involving her as well
ApachePilot
AG
Who's room was the peep hole looking into???? The little girls?
Boo Weekley
ApachePilot said:

Yes...and they mentioned the mom's brother(?) staying in there when visiting from Missouri while the boy slept on the couch...unless i totally misunderstood that part?

Thinking maybe they want us to think this pedo creep is the culprit but that is prob too easy.
PooDoo
AG
The girls room towards her vanity.
ApachePilot
AG
The first season was so dark. Every character was so flawed if not out right dark. I don't get the same sense this time. But I'm still left with lots of suspicions.

Like why did the kids lie about going to see a dog in the park? Who were they really meeting?
ApachePilot
AG
Boo Weekley said:

ApachePilot said:

Yes...and they mentioned the mom's brother(?) staying in there when visiting from Missouri while the boy slept on the couch...unless i totally misunderstood that part?

Thinking maybe they want us to think this pedo creep is the culprit but that is prob too easy.

Ya I had the same thought. Just a small twist.
Robert C. Christian
AG
ApachePilot said:

The first season was so dark. Every character was so flawed if not out right dark. I don't get the same sense this time. But I'm still left with lots of suspicions.

Like why did the kids lie about going to see a dog in the park? Who were they really meeting?

Was it ever said that the kids were actually headed in the direction of the park by witnesses?
Shelton98
AG
The hole in the wall looked to be about 1/4". To get all the way through the wall you'd have to have a drill bit that was at least twice as long as a standard 1/4" bit. And to drill the hole at a fairly precise angle to be able to see the vanity (on the first shot) would take more skill than a 12 year old boy would possess.

Now drill presses probably have longer bits than standard... and you could find those at a machine shop.... and that's where the dad worked. Not sure what the uncle's occupation was?
mazzag
AG
PooDoo said:

There was the hint from the grandma... the girl was not his biological daughter.

Could her biological dad be the one coming back into the picture?

Those dolls look a lot like the wedding drawing the girl had in her room.

Pretty sure there was some kind of plan to run away or something. Maybe the new dad wasn't expecting the brother to come along and or something.

I also suspect the mother either directly or indirectly of knowing more than what she's letting on.

Good theory especially since the doc lady said twice "the girl and her dad" I kept thinking her dad, not her bio dad.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
"You gave a very vivid description of prison rape...........I think that's going to haunt me awhile."

And I am just so blown away by probably the greatest old age makeup work I have ever seen. 2015 Hayes is just so incredible I cannot believe it's makeup.
Old Tom Morris
Really enjoying it so far. I'm not sure that we've met either who was convicted for it, or the killer, although I do think there is a fair chance that the cousin may be the wrongly convicted one.
ApachePilot
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

ApachePilot said:

Was it ever said that the kids were actually headed in the direction of the park by witnesses?

Yes I think so. But I'm reflecting on the kids asking to go there to meet the kid and his new dog. When questioned the boy with the dog never made plans to meet at the park. So the boy and girl lied to their dad about the reason they wanted to go to the park.
Old Tom Morris
yeah, there was something going on with the kids. Their story on why they were leaving was definitely BS.
astros4545
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

yeah, there was something going on with the kids. Their story on why they were leaving was definitely BS.

Definitely need to find who the girls' biological father was
TCTTS
AG
I was rewatching a few scenes again from the first two S3 episodes on HBO GO, wandered over to season one, and ended up watching the entire pilot yet again. I know I said this earlier, but damn, what a season of television that was. Still one of my favorite all time seasons of anything I've ever seen.

Also, having watched the pilot, and based on those two Ringer video recaps I posted earlier, I'm convinced season one and season three are going to tie together somehow. Maybe not in any kind of profound, obvious way, but the shared imagery and time periods, not to mention the relative geographical proximity, are too close together not to be on purpose...
Robert C. Christian
AG
That makes sense. I missed that connection.
LHIOB
AG
When he said "take us back to November 7th 1980" I had to pause it...thats my exact birthday. Then when the dad said "home by 5:30" I had to pause it again because thats when I was born. Very creepy feeling to associate even this fictional crime with it.

I didnt know that Steve McQueen died that day.

As for the actual show - another hint was given that the dad is not their dad. Will is 12 and the girl is 10 and they say they have been together 10 years.

I like the rural setting too. Feels more authentic.
Stive
AG
I caught the "been together 10 years" comment as well and the dad also said "she was pregnant when we got together.

The grandma comments about the rumors about her getting pregnant while he was working offshore were about the daughter I believe. That could mean neither of the kids are his.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I think y'all are misremembering, or maybe I am; however, I'm pretty sure they stated they met 13 years ago, and he got her knocked up with Will. They were engaged within 3 months of meeting each other due to her getting pregnant and never got the chance to know each other. The 10 years prior comment was in reference to when the dad had taken a welding job in Texas which is when the dad's mother believes the mother got knocked up with the daughter by someone else.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old Tom Morris
Agree. I took that as Will would be his (born 13 years ago after he knocked her up early in their dating life), but Julie may not be (he was away). And yeah, there was his comment that she has been running him down for 10 years, which could connect to Julie not being his. She gets knocked up by some other guy, and she disconnects from him emotionally. He doesn't know why, but that would be a logical pivot point for the marriage heading into the ****ter. But I wouldn't leap too far ahead that they are going to meet her father or something just yet.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. I'm November 6, 1980.
PooDoo
AG
Joke from Reddit:

Why are they not searching for their 3rd missing child?

The father said his wife was looking for Dick.
Teddy Perkins
AG
This seems too coincidental.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/agg9yp/the_playboy_cover_steven_king_talks_the/

Quote:

I think I found something here, so I wanted to see if anyone cares to comment or critique this theory...

The Playboy cover: "Stephen King Talks The Stand"
  • It is a commentary on societal decay, as stated by King
  • The prologue of this book is titled "The Circle Opens", the epilogue is "The Circle Closes"...
  • It expands on a character seen only in flashbacks; this character oddly once worked for the KKK
  • There is a vile character known as The Rat Man
  • There is a character known as The Trashcan Man
    • For a time, The Trashcan Man travels with a minor character known as The Kid, who is from Shreveport, Louisiana...
  • King also confronts blackness in the novel, with a character that can only be described as a "Magical Negro" literary archetype; she has an air of mysticism and seemingly communicates with the supernatural...
  • Here's an interesting point: depending on which version of the novel the reader is reading, the story takes place in either 1980, 1986, or 1991...
  • Another interesting point: the antagonist in the book, Flagg, was based on Donald DeFreeze. Now, here's where things get weird. Donald DeFreeze was a member of the Symbionese Liberation Army, a far-left violent organization very similar to the Black Panthers (some members of the SLA were former Panthers). Donald DeFreeze kidnapped a woman named Patty Hearst (born in San Francisco), the daughter of William Randolph Hearst. The kidnapping was planned, according to the SLA, for "the night of a full moon". She was gone for 19 months. However, two months after she was kidnapped, she was caught on surveillance video with several other members of the SLA carrying out a robbery of a sporting goods store. She was involved in several other crimes during the time she was kidnapped by the SLA. Obviously, I think this is interesting because Amelia Hays was a member of the Black Panther during her time away from college (and clearly initially has negative view of the police in her first interaction with Hays), and Julie, who was kidnapped, has her prints found during a Walgreens robbery. This being a coincidence is just...I don't know.
    • In The Stand, Flagg is joined by a sex-crazed teenager named Julie, whose character begins as seemingly morally neutral, but eventually decays and joins Flagg (DeFreeze)...
    • The whole fiasco with Patty Hearst was very political, as her father was a newspaper magnate. She later claimed she had been brainwashed and committed the crimes under the influence of LSD. Her trial was very public, and was effectively part of a moral panic related to drugs and brainwashing. She later wrote a memoir after being pardoned by Bill Clinton. This all seems to fit in with the Franklin affair.
    • Here is an excerpt from the wiki article on The Stand about Flagg (Donald DeFreeze): "During the occasional instances when the reader is subject to Flagg's perspective, it becomes evident that Flagg does not know his origins, has no memory of his life before Captain Trips though he vaguely remembers isolated, violent or hateful events, such as participating in the Vietnam War, actions as an American Marine, Ku Klux Klan lynchings, the murder of police officers, taking part in race riots in the 1960s, being involved in the kidnapping of Patty Hearst, and a vague speculation that he was involved in Charles Manson's family. Most of Flagg's memories indicate that not only was Flagg able to escape during the last moments of many of these events, but that the events also nourished his evil nature.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Stand_characters#cite_note-Flagg-13][13][/url]"
    • Another thing: Flagg (DeFreeze) appears in King's "Dark Tower" series as R.F. (I have not read this series, so let me know if this is not accurate). R.F. was molested at 13 years old, and becomes an emissary for The Crimson King after further character development. The Crimson King has a few interesting characteristics as well; he becomes obsessed with killing a child, Patrick Danville, and he battles with Roland, in the Dark Tower series (remember Roland West).

The Debt
I'm gonna say one of the high school students got pinned for it. They are all looking for an adult who could hide a daughter, but something is gonna point to a student.

The student claims innocence (because he is) but the prosecution/police demand the whereabouts of the girl. But he doesnt have a clue because he didnt do it. He does time instead of death penalty because he pleads he did it. Then they find her prints in the walgreens and it's obvious they have the wrong person.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.