***Dunkirk***

110,424 Views | 830 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 42799862
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
here's the link to the village voice review

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/07/17/dunkirk-is-the-movie-christopher-nolan-was-born-to-make/

beware, maybe some mild plot spoilers (nothing that bummed me out, it's the spectacle we're paying for)
TCTTS
AG
Man, reading all the explanations and analysis of how Nolan handles the three different timelines gets me so fired up. That maybe my favorite thing about his movies - the way he uses/bends time narratively, and it sounds so amazing here.
Bunk Moreland
Remember when a bunch of people were worried after the first trailer?
Malachi Constant
AG
Going during the day on Friday at Cinemark 17 70MM IMAX in Dallas. Very fortunate to have that theater very near me.

I saw Interstellar there and it as life-changing.
Bunk Moreland
lucky you.

Seeing it on whatever the cinemark xd is (biggest screen we could find) Thursday night, then hoping for 70mm in Austin in a few weeks.

Thursday evening can't get here fast enough.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Friday at 11:30AM on the 70MM IMAX here as well.
The Collective
AG
I am also doing Cinemark XD as well, so that I can see it this week. I'll have to make it to a 70mm screen some other week.
cone
AG
in for 70 mm
hunter2012
AG
I'm in for the domed fort worth IMAX on saturday...
The Collective
AG
hunter2012 said:

Haha, let us know how that goes. I might give it a shot. I hate that they don't have reserved seats there though.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
IMAX 70 mm on Saturday
hunter2012
AG
CJS4715 said:

hunter2012 said:

Haha, let us know how that goes. I might give it a shot. I hate that they don't have reserved seats there though.

I saw the force awakens there. it was really awesome except for the opening titles, the dome distorted the text.
The Collective
AG
I saw TFA there as well. I found it overwhelming, especially the close up shots. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Thunder18
AG
Saw the theatrical trailer before War for the Planet of the Apes and damn it got me fired up
Malachi Constant
AG
Plenty of good seats still available!

Plus I love watching movies by myself. I don't get why people think that's weird.
Bunk Moreland
It's one of the most pleasant experiences we can have, especially in this ever increasingly connected world.

2 hours of isolation. No distractions. Just you and the movie. It's perfect. I do not go to movies with friends who want to make comments any more.

We can go, but you'll stfu throughout. Plenty of time to discuss after and post on the internet about it as well.
Thunder18
AG
I'm 100% in agreement with everything you posted. I was 1 of 2 people in the theater today and it was fantastic.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thursday night for me and my wife. First time I've seen a movie on the night before its official release date since Spielberg's second dinosaur flick.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Looking on fandango I'm seeing a ton of 70mm IMAX options in Dallas. What is different about the cinemark 17 IMAX on Webb Chapel? Is that the biggest screen or something? That one doesn't say 70mm on fandango like most of the other theaters do.
ja86
AG
70mm Imax at the arclight in la Jolla Friday afternoon. A
mavsfan4ever
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Looking on fandango I'm seeing a ton of 70mm IMAX options in Dallas. What is different about the cinemark 17 IMAX on Webb Chapel? Is that the biggest screen or something? That one doesn't say 70mm on fandango like most of the other theaters do.

Ok I see the 70mm IMAX option at cinemark 17 when I go to their website so I'll go watch it there. But what is better about this IMAX theater compared to the other theaters that advertise IMAX in Dallas?
TCTTS
AG
Saturday night...

FancyKetchup14
AG
Sitting at 98% on RT right now...

No 70mm near me in Cinci, checking IMAX on Thursday.
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

Saturday night...

I had the opportunity to be in the area when Cap Civil War released. I don't have a bucket list, but if I did, seeing a move in the Chinese Theater would have been on it. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome to hear. Having to wade through all the hordes of tourists and the freaks and weirdos dressed as superheroes on Hollywood Blvd can be a turn off, but once you're actually in the theater, it's pretty magical. Glad you were able to experience it.
Phat32
AG
98%? Damn
Bruce Almighty
AG
This is shaping up to be one of the greatest summers ever for blockbusters.
TCTTS
AG
Indeed. Everything that was supposed to deliver, delivered. Even the fifth Pirates movie was decent. Only disappointment really was Alien: Covenant, but no one was expecting much after Prometheus, and we were obviously expecting even less (if not nothing) from Transformers.

But Guardians 2, Wonder Woman, The Big Sick, Baby Driver, Spider-Man, Apes, and presumably Dunkirk have all delivered more than I think anyone was expecting, some more so critically, others box office-wise. Either way, I can't remember this level of follow through in years.
mslags97
AG
Saxsoon said:

TCTTS said:

Saturday night...

I had the opportunity to be in the area when Cap Civil War released. I don't have a bucket list, but if I did, seeing a move in the Chinese Theater would have been on it. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.

Funny story! This was on my dad's bucket list, so when I was a sophomore in high school, we did the Disneyland thing and went down to the Chinese Theater. The only thing playing, that I remember, was Double Dragon, a Jean Claude Van Dam masterpiece! So we saw it. Awful, but still great experience. He played twin karate guys, and I remember one was like an over the top jerk. Too funny!
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

But Guardians 2, Wonder Woman, The Big Sick, Baby Driver, Spider-Man, Apes, and presumably Dunkirk have all delivered more than I think anyone was expecting, some more so critically, others box office-wise. Either way, I can't remember this level of follow through in years.

I was hoping you'd omit this one for entertainment purposes.
Bruce Almighty
AG
mslags97 said:

Saxsoon said:

TCTTS said:

Saturday night...

Funny story! This was on my dad's bucket list, so when I was a sophomore in high school, we did the Disneyland thing and went down to the Chinese Theater. The only thing playing, that I remember, was Double Dragon, a Jean Claude Van Dam masterpiece! So we saw it. Awful, but still great experience. He played twin karate guys, and I remember one was like an over the top jerk. Too funny!
That masterpiece would be Double Impact.
Phat32
AG
Tickets to see it at Cinemark on Friday
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Indeed. Everything that was supposed to deliver, delivered. Even the fifth Pirates movie was decent. Only disappointment really was Alien: Covenant, but no one was expecting much after Prometheus, and we were obviously expecting even less (if not nothing) from Transformers.

I for one thought Alien: Covenant was a good movie, but I think audiences don't really flock to movies like that. And before someone says Aliens is this awesome movie, keep in mind that no Alien movie ever made more than roughly 86 million domestically. I really liked A:C, the idea behind David engineering the aliens, etc.

As for this year being a huge block-buster year, I have admittedly not seen everything that's been released, but of those I have seen, I have been somewhat underwhelmed. I say somewhat mostly in relation to Guardians 2. It was a fun movie, it was very well done, but for me it just did not quite capture the same awesome feeling that I had after watching the first. I did enjoy WW and Spider-Man quite a bit. Eventually I'll get to see the Apes movie, and will see Dunkirk Thursday night.
mslags97
AG
That's it! I knew it was double something.
95_Aggie
AG
lol ... let's go ahead and make stuff up so we can hit all the required checkmarks.
Quote:

... and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/07/17/review-christopher-nolan-excellent-dunkirk-explores-heroism-innovative-fashion/482574001/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.