***Dunkirk***

114,454 Views | 830 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 42799862
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here we go...

quote:
Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that principal photography on the epic action thriller "Dunkirk" is underway in Dunkirk, France. Christopher Nolan ("Interstellar," "Inception," "The Dark Knight" Trilogy) is directing "Dunkirk" from his own original screenplay, utilizing a mixture of IMAX and 65mm film to bring the story to the screen. The production will shoot in France, Holland, the UK and Los Angeles.

"Dunkirk" opens as hundreds of thousands of British and Allied troops are surrounded by enemy forces. Trapped on the beach with their backs to the sea they face an impossible situation as the enemy closes in.

"Dunkirk" features a prestigious cast, including Tom Hardy ("The Revenant," "Mad Max: Fury Road," "Inception"), Mark Rylance ("Bridge of Spies," "Wolf Hall"), Kenneth Branagh ("My Week with Marilyn," "Hamlet," "Henry V") and Cillian Murphy ("Inception," "The Dark Knight" Trilogy), as well as newcomer Fionn Whitehead. The ensemble cast also includes Aneurin Barnard, Harry Styles, James D'Arcy, Jack Lowden, Barry Keoghan and Tom Glynn-Carney.

The film is being produced by Nolan and Emma Thomas ("Interstellar," "Inception," "The Dark Knight" Trilogy). Jake Myers ("The Revenant," "Interstellar," "Jack Reacher") is serving as executive producer.

The behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema ("Interstellar," "Spectre," "The Fighter"), production designer Nathan Crowley ("Interstellar," "The Dark Knight" Trilogy), editor Lee Smith ("The Dark Knight" Trilogy, "Elysium"), costume designer Jeffrey Kurland ("Inception," "Bullets Over Broadway"), and visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson ("Mad Max: Fury Road").

Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing "Dunkirk" worldwide and has slated the film for a July 21, 2017 release.

zgood10
mazag08
AG
Count me in the group that would rather have a WW! movie. That era is just not told much at all in media, and history books do a very meh job of attempting to teach it.
mazag08
AG
On that same note.. video games have answered the call..

jeffk
AG
What movie was it that had that long one shot scene of the beaches at Dunkirk?
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Count me in the group that would rather have a WW! movie. That era is just not told much at all in media, and history books do a very meh job of attempting to teach it.

In general I agree, but the battle of Dunkirk is an extremely important moment in the war that very few people know about.

And I'm game for anything Nolan wants to do as far as a war movie.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
What movie was it that had that long one shot scene of the beaches at Dunkirk?

Atonement. Amazing shot, great movie.
jeffk
AG
That's right. Thanks!
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
Do we really need another WW2 film?

How about another vampire, werewolf, pirate, wizard or zombie movie?
How about a WW2 movie, with both Vampires and Werewolves, fighting alongside humans for either side. The humans, if killed but without brain injury become zombies who can only be controlled by pirate wizards?
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
hunter2012
AG
quote:

If you want epic scale you have to film epic scale. You can't digitize it to the same effect.
jabberwalkie09
AG
That's one hell of a cast.
bigboykin
AG
quote:
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History Blueprint for Armageddon podcast series is an excellent source for WWI info. Highly recommend it, if you haven't already listened to it.

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/
TCTTS
AG
We tried like hell to option the rights to his Battle of Jutland podcast. Would make for a phenomenal movie. He was all in and loved what we were about, but during the process he got representation (i.e. an agent) and the agency convinced him to package a deal for his entire library and not individual episodes. As in a deal with The History Channel or someone like that, instead of burning off single episodes here and there to different companies, which makes more sense for him financially. Still, we can do a Battle of Jutland movie on our own, via our own research, and can potentially bring him on as a consultant, which he seemed open to doing. Just need to find the time...
Simplebay
AG
Bummer that Chris Corbould is not involved in this like Nolan's other films.

I heard he's kinda busy though. Working on some no name film.

PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Do we really need another WW2 film?

How about another vampire, werewolf, pirate, wizard or zombie movie?
How about a WW2 movie, with both Vampires and Werewolves, fighting alongside humans for either side. The humans, if killed but without brain injury become zombies who can only be controlled by pirate wizards?
So I'm thinking Werewolves/witches are the British & French, Vampires/warlocks the Germans and Italians. Americans are centaurs and the Japanese are goblin/hobgoblins.

You can back the dump truck full of cash to my house anytime.
TCTTS
AG
http://theplaylist.net/rumor-christopher-nolan-will-crash-5-million-wwii-plane-dunkirk-imax-sequence-20160607
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Well, if they bought the warbird they can do what they want with it. But if is a legitimate Luftwaffe aircraft, say a BF-109E (which would have been the pre-eminent German fighter at the time of this movie's setting) then that is an incredibly rare and valuable aircraft. I hope they do not truly destroy it.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
We tried like hell to option the rights to his Battle of Jutland podcast. Would make for a phenomenal movie. He was all in and loved what we were about, but during the process he got representation (i.e. an agent) and the agency convinced him to package a deal for his entire library and not individual episodes. As in a deal with The History Channel or someone like that, instead of burning off single episodes here and there to different companies, which makes more sense for him financially. Still, we can do a Battle of Jutland movie on our own, via our own research, and can potentially bring him on as a consultant, which he seemed open to doing. Just need to find the time...
disappointing. I was really pumped about that collaboration.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Scientific
AG
Almost every great director takes a stab at a war movie, or a war theme. It's sort of a tradition.

Kurbik- Full Metal Jacket
Spielberg- Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan
Coppola- Apocalypse Now
DePalma- Casualties of War
Tarantino- IB
Eastwood- American Sniper
Zwick- Glory

Even Spike Lee with Miracle at St. Ana.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
Spielberg- 1941, Empire of the Sun, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan

fify
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
Spielberg- 1941, Empire of the Sun, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan

fify

War Horse
Malachi Constant
AG
Empire of the Sun is so underrated.

I mean, batman is in it.
TCTTS
AG
A one-minute Dunkirk teaser will be debuting during the WB panel at Comic-Con today, and many seem to think it'll be online shortly after (but no one knows for sure). The panel is from 1:30-3:30 CST today if anyone wants to follow along on Twitter.
oragator
If they really destroy an important aircraft and piece of history like that for the sake of a movie I will be beyond disappointed.
TCTTS
AG
Ok, so no Dunkirk trailer at the panel, but a trailer has been registered and is coming soon. Potentially w/ Suicide Squad in a couple of weeks, if not w/ Bourne next week.
Phat32
BR0
quote:
If they really destroy an important aircraft and piece of history like that for the sake of a movie I will be beyond disappointed.

Why? Who cares.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:

Why? Who cares.

Obviously he does.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Why? Who cares.
Not that I am in a position to do anything about it, but I do care. We were short-sighted in the 40s with regard to our own aircraft, to the point that it is rare to find an airworthy warbird outside of perhaps a P-51. It is even more rare to find airworthy examples of Axis aircraft.

TCTTS
AG
agmag90
holy chit. yes, cant wait for the teaser
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nolan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.