*****Better Call Saul - Season 1*******

199,804 Views | 1346 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
Texas 1836
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well ... I feel better I'm not the only one having trouble with the timelines.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm gonna assume there was another conversation after the first one that explains him having to creep outside the house.
Ag_07
AG
She picked him up from the train in the same flashback when they're in the back yard.

Was him breaking the news to her a FB or present day? I took it as present day.

Based on her reaction of spotting him in the car we know at some point she severed ties. We just don't know when/why.
FormerLefty
AG
quote:

I always thought that when he broke the news to her it was (still) a flashback.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

No, I think the breaking the news to her was present day... after he stole the notebook... he went in asked her if she called cops from Philly.

She went on about wanting to find the guys that killed her husband and that's why she called the cops.

He then broke down and gave her the entire story.

So timeline:
1) Mike gets off work, and drives to her house and watches her leave (this is where she saw him and stopped to look at him).

2) Mike leaves to go home, and is watching TV for however long and then cops show up.

3) Cops take him to ABQ police precinct to question him. Mike says "lawyer"

4) Saul arrives, interview, spilling coffee, mike gets notepad,

5) Mike reads notepad and notes indicate she called them at some point (was this between #1 and #2 above and cops flew out same day, or did she call them before he saw her drive out of her driveway??... this is unknown)

6) Mike goes and confronts her with the "Did you call the cops?" and then confesses everything, except not directly answering her question about "who killed the two cops who killed her husband". He says "You know what happened. the question is 'can you live with it?'" and then show is over.

hurleyag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, I think the breaking the news to her was present day... after he stole the notebook... he went in asked her if she called cops from Philly.

She went on about wanting to find the guys that killed her husband and that's why she called the cops.

He then broke down and gave her the entire story.

So timeline:
1) Mike gets off work, and drives to her house and watches her leave (this is where she saw him and stopped to look at him).

2) Mike leaves to go home, and is watching TV for however long and then cops show up.

3) Cops take him to ABQ police precinct to question him. Mike says "lawyer"

4) Saul arrives, interview, spilling coffee, mike gets notepad,

5) Mike reads notepad and notes indicate she called them at some point (was this between #1 and #2 above and cops flew out same day, or did she call them before he saw her drive out of her driveway??... this is unknown)

6) Mike goes and confronts her with the "Did you call the cops?" and then confesses everything, except not directly answering her question about "who killed the two cops who killed her husband". He says "You know what happened. the question is 'can you live with it?'" and then show is over.

That seems right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good breakdown.

The confession to her was definitely in present day, but the last conversation they had in the flashback (before going to the vet) wasn't all that heated. So there must be a reason Mike didn't want to go in the house in present day. I think we'll get another scene or two with them, between the two periods.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Good breakdown.

The confession to her was definitely in present day, but the last conversation they had in the flashback (before going to the vet) wasn't all that heated. So there must be a reason Mike didn't want to go in the house in present day. I think we'll get another scene or two with them, between the two periods.

This.

We don't yet know why they broke things off and parted ways on bad terms. And in bad terms is an assumption based on her reaction when she saw him in the car.
LawAg05
AG
It was clever of Mike to tell the bartender he was "going to ABQ" prior to leaving that bar. That way when the bartender is asked about Mike, he can tell the cops Mike was planning on going to ABQ prior to the cops being killed. Thus, his leaving Philly for ABQ isn't suspicious.
FormerLefty
AG
quote:
Good breakdown.

I guess that's my problem with this timeline, if we are making these assumptions then there are still a number of questions between all the gaps. Too many gaps considering that we likely won't get another Mike-centric episode for a while. Basically the same point everyone else is making, episode was awesome but way too much jumping back and forth.
zgood10
AG
Johnathan F'n Banks! Wow!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The confession to his daughter in law was a flashback from when he first got to ABQ, right after killing the cops in filling.

That scene explains why she doesn't want to see him, like when he drives by her house - in present day. Well, "present day" being the main setting for the show, six years before BB or whatever.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The confession to his daughter in law was a flashback from when he first got to ABQ, right after killing the cops in filling.

That scene explains why she doesn't want to see him, like when he drives by her house - in present day.
It was present day. See 91_Aggie's post above.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Yeah, I'm totally confused about why they didn't talk in that other scene. Mixed up the two visits.
UnderoosAg
AG
From the time the DIL heard Matty yelling on the phone, until Mike admitted it was him on the line in present day, DIL has suspected it was Mike. Even after he denied it the first time. That's gotta make any meeting between them awkward. Especially when he seemingly randomly shows up one morning.

I wonder if Mike went to DIL's house to see her, or to see if anyone was there, I.e. Baltimore PD. He had to know BPD would come at some point.
GreasenUSA
AG
91_Aggie cleared it up pretty well.

I'm starting to get flashbacks to LOST threads.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
91_Aggie cleared it up pretty well.

I'm starting to get flashbacks to LOST threads.
Who had the compass first?
91_Aggie
AG
The conversation between Mike and DIL right when he arrived (in the backyard with the daughter on the swing) ended very awkwardly between them.

She told him "I had the feeling he (my husband) was talking to you".

Mike then gave a big speech and ended it with "all you need to know is that he is gone and you have to stop beating yourself up over it"

She then gave a very cold response of "Yeah, I guess that's it" (paraphrasing)

Mike then said "I'm around and want to help with granddaughter"

At that point, I'm pretty sure the wife thought Mike has something to do with her husband's death and she never called him " to help with the granddaughter".

And that's why he drove over there that morning... he wanted a glimpse of her/them because he she had never called him.
The 5200 Acres
AG
During BB you always were lead to believe Mike was disgusted with Walt because he was a novice at the game or over-emotional. Now it appears Mike was just dealing with watching Walt make the same mistake he made. Namely skirting the law to "help" his family. In both cases it destroyed any respect their sons (who both idolized their dads) had for them and cost them their family.

It also appears suits will serve a similar symbolic function as the colors of clothing did in BB. Jimmy eyeing the eventual Saul look and then moving on was just brilliant.

Enjoying this every bit as much as BB.
DannyDuberstein
AG
FLASHBACK:
1) Train ride to ABQ
2) Backyard swing/patio conversation the day he arrives in ABQ
3) While #2 may not have been heated, it was tense and she practically kicked him out (in a nice way, but in no uncertain terms, she basically tells him to leave and he's stuck calling a cab). It was left with sort of a "call me if you need me", which she clearly never did - leading to him doing #5 below to watch over them
4) Vet patches him up same day as 1-3
CURRENT SERIES TIME:
5) Weeks after #4 where he's had time to get the parking lot job and meet Saul, he gets off work and watches the house. She hasn't called him after the conversation above, so this is his way of watching over them.
6) After going home from #5, cops pick up Mike and he hires Jimmy/Saul
7) Mike learns from the notes that she was the one that called the cops out there
8) Mike confesses to her

In summary, 1-4 are flashbacks while 5-8 were current day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't watch many other shows right now, but I'm thinking Banks is gonna be hard to beat for the Supporting Actor Emmy this year.

BBQ4Me
AG
Thanks for posting that.

I assume the DIL moved to ABQ quite a while after Mike shot the dirty cops (and was shot in the shoulder). That seems like a long time to be walking around with a bullet in one's shoulder. Am I missing something here?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Huh? Mike went out to ABQ the day after killing them. DIL was already living in ABQ. She probably moved out there shortly after her husband was killed.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The DIL moved to ABQ after Matty was killed but before Mike killed the cops. Mike was on the train to ABQ right after killing them. She had to have been there for several weeks by then. After Matty's death, it sounds like Mike spent a fair amount of time both drunk and figuring out exactly what happened and setting up his plan (although he was obviously faking his level of intox the night of the revenge). During this time, the DIL had moved.

So to supplement my timeline above,
1A) Dirty cops kill Matty
1B) DIL moves to ABQ (days/weeks after 1A)
1C) Mike kills dirty cops (days/weeks after 1B)
1D) Mike hops train to ABQ (immediately after 1C)
aTmAg
AG
I thought Matty was killed months prior. For some reason 4 months sticks in my mind.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It probably was when you add it all up. They may have mentioned it somewhere along the way. My "days/weeks" was just generic to indicate that those particular steps didn't happen in immediate succession. I'm sure it was a little while before she moved to ABQ, and then it was apparent she was reasonably settled by the time Mike arrived.
BBQ4Me
AG
Ok, thanks!
I guess I was surprised that the DIL would move so soon after her husband's death.
ac04
i believe they said it was 6 months
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My question is what brought her to ABQ? Parents live there? Probably not important, just curious.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would imagine someone close from her side of the family is out there.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
My question is what brought her to ABQ? Parents live there? Probably not important, just curious.
The fact that BB was filmed there because Hollywood and California, in general, is too expensive. (forgot the wink)
Harry Stone
AG
quote:
quote:
The fact that BB was filmed there because Hollywood and California, in general, is too expensive. (forgot the wink)
I think he meant why did the daughter in law move there in the show, not so much why it was filmed there.
ellebee
I wonder if mike really didn't have a drinking problem at all and it was just part of his plan. I can see him setting this plan up well in advance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.