*****Better Call Saul - Season 1*******

199,735 Views | 1346 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fair enough, they said why he left the force in Philly and you know his kid lives in ABQ. I thought it was a combination of leaving the philly force and reconnecting with his daughter.

I may have filled in some of it with assumption and it wasn't outright said. Either way, BCS will provide many more details.
Dro07
AG
I gotcha. I thought they flat out said it on BB. When i first saw that woman drive by Mike I assumed it was his daughter that hadn't been named or really talked about.
Citizen Reign
People, this show is a comedy not a drama like BB.
Texaggie7nine
It's a dramedy.
7nine
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
People, this show is a comedy not a drama like BB.

Umm wrong my friend
Citizen Reign
Far more humor in BCS. You can call it a dramedy but it's not very balanced thus far. Saul provided just about all the comedy in BB. It may move to more drama but so far, I have seen very little of anything serious other than Chuck's storyline and the dessert scene.

With BB, I was normally shocked at how dark it was. with BCS, I'm LMAO.
Texaggie7nine
Saul's whole dilemma to get his business going is pretty serious.
7nine
Post removed:
by user
2ndGen87
AG
Much more serious than I expected. BBad was very funny the first season.

To me the comic in BB was Jesse. The bathtub scene. When he almost corrects Tuco about the guy being dead.
Burdizzo
AG
I consider BCS to be a dark comedy like a Coen Brothers dark comedy such as Fargo or No Country for Old Men. They deal with dark subjects and throw in moments of absurdity and irony. This type of entertainment is very difficult to do well and can often feel tedious at times. But when itnis done well it is often exceptional. So far I like BCS.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
I consider BCS to be a dark comedy like a Coen Brothers dark comedy such as Fargo or No Country for Old Men. They deal with dark subjects and throw in moments of absurdity and irony. This type of entertainment is very difficult to do well and can often feel tedious at times. But when itnis done well it is often exceptional. So far I like BCS.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Perfect description.

Although, No Country was considered a dark comedy?
mazzag
AG
I'm still laughing at the pedopotty and it's very inappropriate to laugh about. But that was great.
Burdizzo
AG
quote:
Perfect description.

Although, No Country was considered a dark comedy?

I thought Woody Harrelsons character and the wreck at the end of the movie good examples of dark comedy. JMO
VoodooAg
AG
A moment from the latest episode that I appreciated:

Just before Jimmy enters Big Ricky's mansion, and just after he gets out of his car, he concocts a story about why his own car looks so beat up. It's his assistant's because his Mercedes is in the shop. A little white lie.

Now, we know that Jimmy has lied plenty before, but the moment or two that the camera lingered on Jimmy talking this lie out, combined with using the vast expanse of desert behind him in the camera shot (rather than shooting the mansion behind him, for instance), called back something for me: the flashback phone call in 'Ozymandias' when Walt lies to Skylar the first time to cover up the first cook. That phone call started Walt down a dangerous path that he kept choosing over and over again.

Maybe Jimmy's willingness to lie, even if every so slightly, to a new client is part of his heading down a dark path too. I don't know.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Slippin' Jimmy has never had a problem lying, it seems.
Post removed:
by user
Burdizzo
AG
quote:
Just because a dramatic movie has a few moments of dark comedy doesn't make the movie a dark comedy. I think the same may become true of Saul. The show has it's comedic Moments but it is way more drama with some comedic and dark comedic relief than anything else.

Very true. My opinion is that BCS and the two movies I mentioned have enough to fit my personal definition.
coop-aero-06
AG
quote:
Just before Jimmy enters Big Ricky's mansion, and just after he gets out of his car, he concocts a story about why his own car looks so beat up. It's his assistant's because his Mercedes is in the shop. A little white lie.
I thought the best part about that whole sequence was the fact that he put in the effort to come up with some lie, then he ended up having to completely abandon his lie when the guy said he loved the fact that Jimmy drove the beater. Then Jimmy had to come up with another lie on the spot about how he does that to stay in touch with his roots or something.
True Anomaly
AG
So am I the only person who thinks that Jimmy is going to run into Uncle Tio while doing this "elder law" schtick?
bigjag19
AG
My wife asked if it was the same nursing home where Tio was.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I thought Tio was living in Mexico with Tuco until Hank killed Tuco.
Citizen Reign
quote:
Just because a dramatic movie has a few moments of dark comedy doesn't make the movie a dark comedy. I think the same may become true of Saul. The show has it's comedic Moments but it is way more drama with some comedic and dark comedic relief than anything else.
I guess the fact that it's an hour long would classify it as a drama.

So far though, I feel almost every scene has been more funny than serious. Scenes with Chuck have been the most dramatic and serious. The entire first 20 min of the last episode was comedy gold. All three of those scenes were setup by the hilarious billboard stunt.

The only other scenes that have felt like a true drama are ones with the lawyer chick and the scene when Jimmy and Tuco were in his grandmother house. Even the dessert scene with the twins (dark but...) was just as funny as serious.

Jessie was definitely not the source of comedy in BB as one poster suggested. That would be Saul without a doubt. I don't know, just find myself laughing a lot so far.

agswin2001
AG
Mike definitely gave us a pretty big hint in BB as to part of the reason he's not in philly anymore. A story he told Walt (I think it was Walt) about something he did while on the force. That, and what I can only assume is his daughter, are the reasons I figured he was in ABQ. What he told Walt would also explain why the Philly cops showed up. The story, IMO, shows that he's a lot like jimmy/Saul. And maybe that's why they end up bonding?
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
I guess the fact that it's an hour long would classify it as a drama.

So far though, I feel almost every scene has been more funny than serious. Scenes with Chuck have been the most dramatic and serious. The entire first 20 min of the last episode was comedy gold. All three of those scenes were setup by the hilarious billboard stunt.

The only other scenes that have felt like a true drama are ones with the lawyer chick and the scene when Jimmy and Tuco were in his grandmother house. Even the dessert scene with the twins (dark but...) was just as funny as serious.

Jessie was definitely not the source of comedy in BB as one poster suggested. That would be Saul without a doubt. I don't know, just find myself laughing a lot so far.

When Breaking Bad started, the show description on my TV when I pressed the info button for the episode listed it as "Dramedy"

I think Better Call Saul can be described in the same way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jesse was A source of comedy, for sure.

"A robot?"
Ag_07
AG
On the Gus/Mike/Saul relationship...

I thought Mike was working for Gus. Wasn't he taking orders from Gus about getting Jesse on his side and making feel like he was worthwhile. Wasn't he also **** in Mexico whike working for Gus? Seems all that had no Saul aspect to it.

TexasAggie008
AG
Saul "knew a guy that knew a guy" (Mike who knew Gus)....Stands to reason that Mike and Gus will come into contact sometime between now and BB episode 1. Could be more of a next season thing if I had to guess...
Scotch
AG
I'd think Mike begins working for Saul, then along the way begins to really work for the "real" boss, Gus, while still doing some side work for Saul.
PatriotAg02
AG
Mike is my favorite character. This next episode is gonna kick ass! More interested in his backstory than Saul's
COOL LASER FALCON
I always thought of Mike as a sort of freelancer. I think he was working for both Gus and Saul during Breaking Bad.
Know Your Enemy
AG
This episode is slow.
Baby Billy
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
This episode is slow.

Make another thread for this bs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mike killed em.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.