*****Better Call Saul - Season 1*******

199,731 Views | 1346 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
Trident 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Sorry for my ignorance but who was overcharging? Jimmy to the elders?

I assumed that it's the old folks' home that is overcharging their tenants for "services rendered", and that Jimmy's brother is probably the one who initially sees that something fishy is going on, since Jimmy left the boxes in his house.
WiIIiam Wallace
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just watched it. Great episode. Loved the Mike scene, that was classic Breaking Bad.
CheeseSndwch
Mike eating the apples cracked me up.
ac04
another great episode. mike's caper to find the cash was great. this show is genius

i started re-watching BB in december and made it through season 3 before work/life picked up and i ran out of free time. started season 4 on saturday and there were some great moments due to BCS - mike being visibly shaken during the box cutter scene, saul suggesting a nail salon when walt/skyler were trying to decide what to buy as a front, mike beating walt up in the bar and having no patience for jesse's bull****, etc. i may go back to the beginning of the saul/mike timeline and re-start from there, getting some backstory on them has made BB even better
Ag_07
AG
Caught up last night. Great episode again.

There are two things that stuck out to me in this episode.

• We finally see Jimmy/Saul not in control and loosing it. That empty office scene when he slams the door and kicks and screams really summed up the entire episode. We haven't seen many scenes in which Jimmy isn't cool, calm, and collected. Even from the beginning scene with the teenagers in court and the Tuco desert scene.
  • Jimmy isn't doing things for Jimmy. He did all that with the Kettleman's money for Kim. She asked him to send them back and he crossed the line to make it happen. He went all-in on her and whiffed. He pulled off the Mike stunt with the coffee at the request of Mike. He'll really become Saul when his propensity to please others goes out the window. Not sure what it may be that pushes him there but it'll be a good ride I'm sure.
And any guesses as to why or when he changes his name?
Mr.Bond
AG

This is what I'm really interested in. I'm guessing it's because he wants to rebrand himself. But all of Albuquerque has seen him on TV, so I'm not sure how it'll work. I really hope we see it happen before the end of this season (only 3 episodes left sadly) but I doubt it
mazzag
AG
Maybe chuck does something bad/embarrassing. So he changes his name to disassociate from chuck. That'd be ironic.
Mr.Bond
AG
That would be intriguing. Do we ever hear of HHM in breaking bad? Is it possible that firm has a series of unfortunate events and gets a bad reputation? Thus making Jimmy want to completely differentiate himself from them?
Burdizzo
AG
quote:
Maybe chuck does something bad/embarrassing. So he changes his name to disassociate from chuck. That'd be ironic.

Actually I expect it to be the other way around. Chuck finally rehabilitates himself and goes back to HHM. He reestablishes close ties with Hamlin and becomes increasingly distant from and embarrassed by Jimmy. Jimmy finds himself in yet another precarious position and in need of cash. HHM makes him an offer he can't refuse and Jimmy accepts a payoff to change his name and go away.
mazzag
AG
I remember Walt wasn't happy about hiring Saul for badger but I don't remember if he offered an alternative firm.
DannyDuberstein
AG
We don't need a criminal lawyer. We need a criminal ... lawyer, yo.
Mr.Bond
AG
I fully expect chuck to die before BB.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
Jimmy isn't doing things for Jimmy. He did all that with the Kettleman's money for Kim. She asked him to send them back and he crossed the line to make it happen. He went all-in on her and whiffed.
Any discussion of how badly Jimmy/Saul has been friendzoned? I imagine that could also play into the whole name change
Burdizzo
AG
quote:
I fully expect chuck to die before BB.

Definitely believable.
Post removed:
by user
MW03
AG
Y'all keep trying to rush this thing to the BB timeline. It's got to percolate a little more.
Texaggie7nine
I was hoping he would get the big office, become big time. Then he would have some huge scandal ruin his business and bankrupt him, so to avoid the baggage with his name, he changes to a jewish name and starts over as an shady atty who's clients are all crooks.
7nine
Burdizzo
AG
quote:
Y'all keep trying to rush this thing to the BB timeline. It's got to percolate a little more.

Agree. This thing can drag out for 4-5 seasons as far as I care. I was actually surprised they sprung Mike's back story on us as soon as they did.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:

So the brothas would think he is a member of "the tribe"... Duh. He said so in BB
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

I assumed that it's the old folks' home that is overcharging their tenants for "services rendered", and that Jimmy's brother is probably the one who initially sees that something fishy is going on, since Jimmy left the boxes in his house.

This... It seemed obvious to me it was the retirement home/nursing home that was cheating the elderly.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:

Just wait.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree with burdizzo. I thought they rushed the Mike backstory.
Fido04
AG
quote:
quote:

So the brothas would think he is a member of "the tribe"... Duh. He said so in BB
"pipe-hitting member of the tribe"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why's that? If Mike is gonna be a major part of the series, then giving us his backstory will only add to his character building.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This... It seemed obvious to me it was the retirement home/nursing home that was cheating the elderly.

I might be wrong, but I thought the preview showed the first old lady that Jimmy worked with - the one who was including all the figurines in her will. If so, that wouldn't be the retirement home since she still lives by herself.

However, if that's not correct and it is the retirement home who is overcharging, they would blackball Jimmy for suing him, which would effectively end his specialization in Elder Law (and main revenue stream).
DannyDuberstein
AG
I know they need his backstory eventually. I was just surprised they put as much as they did out there so quickly. They pretty much knocked it all out in one episode, which for the 2nd most important character in the series, that was a little more quick and condensed than I was expecting.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
As someone mentioned, the homage to classic movies by Gilligan continues:

Got a chuckle out of the little old nursing home ladies rambling about her cats' Felix and Oscar and their bathing habits.
Ag_07
AG
Also, just as in BB the music in this series is so friggin good and on point with the scenes and characters.
BJM1781
AG
Last two episodes have been excellent. I think a lot of that has to do with Mike getting a more prominent role in the series.

Oh, and Mrs. Kettleman is once fine piece of ass:
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I might be wrong, but I thought the preview showed the first old lady that Jimmy worked with - the one who was including all the figurines in her will. If so, that wouldn't be the retirement home since she still lives by herself.

However, if that's not correct and it is the retirement home who is overcharging, they would blackball Jimmy for suing him, which would effectively end his specialization in Elder Law (and main revenue stream).

You people crack me up.

It will be coveted next week.

I wish the previews were more like MM to avoid conversations like this.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Last two episodes have been excellent. I think a lot of that has to do with Mike getting a more prominent role in the series.

Oh, and Mrs. Kettleman is once fine piece of ass:

What is that from?
Mr.Bond
AG
Chest Cannons
BJM1781
AG
It's her in Damages from a few years back.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
quote:
saul suggesting a nail salon when walt/skyler were trying to decide what to buy as a front
That's a great find right there....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.