Entertainment Board confessions

45,875 Views | 373 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ulrich
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Even at 36 years old, I'll watch Saved by the Bell anytime it's on.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
My go-to XM stations in my car are 80's on 8 and First Wave.

Never seen the Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, It's a Wonderful Life.

Casablanca is the most perfect motion picture ever made.

Ever since Arrested Development, I simply cannot watch ANY television show that has a laugh track anymore. Even ones from my youth that I loved (Cheers, Night Court, etc),

I am now EXTREMELY conflicted as to whether or not I should ever watch (or let my young children ever watch) what I consider one of the best comedy performances ever: Bill Cosby: Himself.

While I love James Cameron, I have never seen nor have any desire to see Avatar.

Val Kilmer made two truly great comedies in the 80s: Real Genius and Top Secret! I would really love to see him do more comedy.

The first albums I ever bought were Men at Work and Styx's Kilroy was Here.

Watching "Jaws" as a young child ended up being a huge mistake.

I was a HUGE horror fan in the 80's. Had a subscription to Fangoria and the Nightmare on Elm Street series was my favorite franchise from that decade. Other films from that decade that I love include Demons, Phantasm II, the Hellraiser movies, the Blob remake and the Return of the Living Dead.

Was in college in the early 90's and really broadened my musical tastes during that time. Now, I can't stand to listen to any music from that time period.

Watched two episodes of Mad Men before I came to the conclusion that every character on the show was awful and then gave up.

Made it about 5 episodes into Breaking Bad before realizing I was only watching it because everyone said it was great. I didn't think much of it.

Never cared for Seinfeld or the Office. Newsradio is criminally underrated. Phil Hartman may be the greatest comedic character actor of all time.
chipotle
quote:
Newsradio is criminally underrated. Phil Hartman may be the greatest comedic character actor of all time.

Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor! Dayyyyyummm!
mazag08
AG
I bought the first three Creed albums, and the first two Nickelbacks.

I have never liked anything by Metallica.

If a band ever goes on a political rant, either by social media, interviews, or especially live.. I refuse to listen to them or respect them.

I enjoyed the amazing spider man 2.

I never watched prison break. I figured.. what the hell is the point of the show after they make the break? And if it all sets up to it, that sounds boring as hell.

I still have a crush on the pink ranger.
TajMaballer
AG
Kanye West is my favorite artist and think he's as good as he thinks he is.
20ag07
I've watched all 80+ episodes of Felicity at least 4 times. They'll probably at least get a 5th watch at some point.

I've watched 16 episodes of Girl Meets World. I'll probably watch the next 16 as well.

I think Studio 60 was a good show.

I liked and respect the Lost finale.

I bought and read Lena Dunham's book. And Mindy Kaling's. And Amy Poehler's. And Tina Fey's.
Mr. White
Police Academy IV and Rocky IV were at one point my favorite movies of all time.

My best friend tricked me into going to see Flight of the Navigator with his daycare. He told me we were seeing Transformers. I cried. I got pissed any time the audience laughed during FotN.

The final Seinfeld episode was great to me.

I pooped at Paramount studios. This was after dodging traffic and making a mad dash to Burger King near it. I had a bug.

BB King yelled at me.
bagger05
AG
Ha! Haven't thought about FotN in years!

When I was a little kid and I was sick, my go to movies to watch were Flight of the Navigator and Follow That Bird (Sesame Street movie).
Bruce Almighty
AG
The Indiana Jones movies are just not as good as an adult as they were when I was a kid.

Star Wars is still awesome though.

I don't care what people say, Die Hard is not a Christmas movie.

I love ska-punk and think Gwen Stefani is hot.

Salma Hayek in the mid to late 90s is the hottest a woman has ever been at any point in time in history.

I don't find Taylor Swift or Emma Watson attractive at all.

I find SRV's music to be an absolute bore. Ditto for Rush and Tool.

I think The Pacific was better than Band of Brothers.

I took a piss next to Edward James Olmos and wanted to say "so say we all", but chickened out.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
I think The Pacific was better than Band of Brothers.

YOU SHUT YOUR WH*R* MOUTH!!!!!!!!!
atag
AG
If I have a long drive I will listen to the entire soundtrack of miss Saigon. ...and I cry at the end every time...I hate myself lol. My dad was about as macho as they come and my cousins and other kids literally were terrified of him....but that man loved the movie legally blonde....that always cracked me up.
Professor Frick
AG
Lord of the rings movies are just so boring. They do absolutely nothing throughout the movie to make me CARE about any of the characters or what happens to them.

Rachel McAdams is nothing special, looks or acting wise.

If the wife is watching The Vampire Diaries, I will totally sit down and watch it, and enjoy the hell out of it. Kevin Williamson at his best.

Taylor Swift is great.

John Frusciante is not.

I respect the Rolling Stones, but their music does nothing for me. I just don't believe them. It all feels very disingenuous, like they're doing an impression of what they think rock and roll should sound like.

Lewis Black yells his punchlines to make up for the fact that they're just not that strong.

Humorous Username
AG
Movies I've never watched (and have no intention of watching), or cannot make it through a whole sitting without becoming bored:
  • It's a Wonderful Life
  • The Godfather II (yet I love The Godfather)
  • Crash
  • This Wizard of Oz
Movies that I think everyone should love, but they don't:
  • Clue. This 80's movie about the boardgame is full of wit, and possesses one of the best collections of comedic actors I've ever seen.
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Get over yourselves and realize that for some of us, this was the first Indy movie we got to see in the theater, so it was definitely a good movie.

TV shows I have no desire to see:
  • The British version of anything.
  • Lonesome Dove
  • Big Bang Theory. I lose a lot of respect for people when I find out that they like this show.
  • Scandal
  • Desperate Housewives
  • Monk
  • True Blood

I think every episode of the Simpsons (yes, even that one where they go to Florida and end up on the run from Diedrich Bader's sheriff character) is better than 90% of what you'll find on TV. I hope they never cancel it.

Why did Jay Leno or David Letterman ever have jobs as hosts? They aren't funny.

I cannot stand the show Friends.

Them: "Oh you just have to see Grease/Wicked/Jersey Boy's/The Book of Mormon/Etc.". Me: "No. No I don't."

I love spaghetti westerns, and find most John Wayne films to be overrated.
marble rye
AG
94.5 The Edge radio station(Dallas, TX) in 1991 was better than any station on XM radio today.

I loathe Dave Matthews Band and The Beatles.

I have not read or watched any LoTR, Harry Potter, Twilight books/movies and I think any interest in them or anything werewolf/zombie related is beyond moronic.

I loved the early 80s "V" mini-series and despised ABC for attempting a remake.

I like a few rap songs...mostly from the late 90s, but intensely judge anyone that likes that genre of music. Hip hop included.
The Devil
Godspell is just delightful
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
John Wayne is the Denzel Washington of the 40s-50s. Same character in every role.

FIFY
Average Joe
AG
If Fifth Element is on,I have to watch it. I can't nail it as my favorite movie, but I've seen it over 100 times.

I buy my 8 month old daughter ninja turtle stuff for my own pleasure.

I like Sammy Hagar. Even with Van Halen.

A majority of my bluray collection is still in the plastic.

I have every Disney and Pixar movie out on bluray. I tell my wife I do it for our child and future children.

I am bleh on Top Gun, never seen a single Godfather but own them all, and didn't have a problem with jar jar binks.

Caveman96
AG
My favorite Family Guy scene for one reason -- Peter nails my opinion of The Godfather.

It insists upon itself...
COOL LASER FALCON
These threads drive me crazy. Controversial or unpopular opinions are great, but it is nails on a chalkboard for me when people say they just refuse to see something or seem proud that they haven't seen something.

My list is that I think Batman Begins is the best of that franchise by far and The Prestige is Nolan's best movie by a long shot.
Nickelback is not bad, just boring. I change the station when a Tool song comes on a lot faster than I do with Nickelback.
I don't think George Carlin is funny. Agree with a lot of what he says, it's just not funny.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
A majority of my bluray collection is still in the plastic.
makes me sad I can't justify buying hard copies anymore.
Texaggie7nine
I liked Waterworld.
7nine
bigjag19
AG
I've seen every episode of The Brady Bunch, Newsradio, and several other sitcoms. I will always stop for those 2.

I love Barry Manilow and Michael Bolton. Barry in concert is great.

HBO was great as a pioneer of premium series. But all of their shows suck. Showtime is where it's at.

Dumb and Dumber is my 2nd favorite movie, behind The Godfather. My grooms cake was a Shaggin wagon.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
These threads drive me crazy. Controversial or unpopular opinions are great, but it is nails on a chalkboard for me when people say they just refuse to see something or seem proud that they haven't seen something.

My list is that I think Batman Begins is the best of that franchise by far and The Prestige is Nolan's best movie by a long shot.
Nickelback is not bad, just boring. I change the station when a Tool song comes on a lot faster than I do with Nickelback.
I don't think George Carlin is funny. Agree with a lot of what he says, it's just not funny.
George Carlin is never funny.

Paid to see him in Tahoe about a decade ago. Never even cracked a smile.

Painful 1.5 hours.
oragator
She may be crazy, but this version of "Goodnight my Angel" from the Gerschwin award tribute to Billy Joel this week made me actually like Leann Rimes. Woman can flat out sing.

jeffk
AG
quote:
She may be crazy, but this version of "Goodnight my Angel" from the Gerschwin award tribute to Billy Joel this week made me actually like Leann Rimes. Woman can flat out sing.

You may be right, she may be crazy.
YouBet
AG
1. I thought The Godfather III was entertaining and not the abortion everyone says it is.

2. I purchased the deluxe version of Icewind Dale (which is a D&D computer game) to get the game's soundtrack.

3. I was a member of the Sir Mix A Lot fan club because I loved the song Buttermilk Biscuits.

4. I own a wine glass that is ensconced within the head of an Orc made out of pewter because of my love of fantasy.

5. Upon recent rewatch, Superman II is terrible and absolutely unwatchable whereas previously it was in my top 25 or so movies of all time. Both recent remakes are better than it.

oragator
quote:
quote:

You may be right, she may be crazy.
I laid it out there hoping someone would pick it up...
jeffk
Bruce Almighty
AG
People that think The Beatles are nothing but an overrated boy band are idiots that know nothing about music.

I also think people that listen to only one type of music and thinks everything else sucks must live boring lives.

I laugh at people that think it's not possible to like both mindless action or comedy flicks and classic Hollywood cinema. Yes, I love both Citizen Kane and Godzilla...deal with it.

And Transformers sucks. Mindless can still be well done.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
People that think The Beatles are nothing but an overrated boy band are idiots that know nothing about music.

I also think people that listen to only one type of music and thinks everything else sucks must live boring lives.

I laugh at people that think it's not possible to like both mindless action or comedy flicks and classic Hollywood cinema. Yes, I love both Citizen Kane and Godzilla...deal with it.

And Transformers sucks. Mindless can still be well done.

Judge much?
mazag08
AG
quote:

Agree with this. I can understand knowing what you like and sticking to it. Everyone has the go to..

But music became a huge part of my life when I opened my mind and started legitimately giving different types, styles, and genres a chance. Some are an acquired taste, and some are situational. But I can't think of one that I don't at least respect.

The biggest group of closed minded music fans (outside of radio only people (aka 75% of Americans)) are hip hop and rap fans. It's rare to get them outside of hip hop, rap, or pop.

People close minded to all metal are also annoyong. Metal has the most flexibility of any genre, and there's hundreds of different styles. Those who say they flat out dont like it are actually saying they refuse to take the time to give it a chance and are close minded.
Buck O Five
AG
quote:

Ever since Arrested Development, I simply cannot watch ANY television show that has a laugh track anymore. Even ones from my youth that I loved (Cheers, Night Court, etc),

Watching "Jaws" as a young child ended up being
a huge mistake .

Was in college in the early 90's and really broadened my musical tastes during that time. Now, I can't stand to listen to any music from that time period.

Watched two episodes of Mad Men before I came to the conclusion that every character on the show was awful and then gave up.

Made it about 5 episodes into Breaking Bad before realizing I was only watching it because everyone said it was great. I didn't think much of it.

Never cared for Seinfeld or the Office. Newsradio is criminally underrated. Phil Hartman may be the greatest comedic character actor of all time.

Only a partial quote, but some great stuff here. It's baffling that shows like the Big Bang Theory with more laugh track than dialogue thrive, while Arrested Development and Futurama are cancelled. (Zap Brannigan best character ever)

As for traumatizing childhood movies, at least sharks can't get into your bathroom...or did sharkna do bridge thay gap? To this day I still check under the lid and the base of every toilet for spiders. **** you Arachnophobia.

All the characters in Mad Men are awful because it exposes the immorality disguised beneath the shiny veneer of the era.
Short Round
I watch madmen for the same reasons I watch golf, so I can take a nap.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
quote:
I change the station when a Tool song comes on a lot faster than I do with Nickelback.

This. Absolutely cannot stand Tool. Don't like Nickelback and change the station when they come on but...geez, Tool. Ugh.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Pahdz
quote:
quote:
All the characters in Mad Men are awful because it exposes the immorality disguised beneath the shiny veneer of the era.

isnt't that the point of the show?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.