Entertainment Board confessions

45,879 Views | 373 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ulrich
COOL LASER FALCON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
quote:
Doesn't he admit at the end of the series that he wasn't doing it for the family, he did it because he enjoyed it? It's been a while but I feel like I recall that much.

Ya but we were not privy to that info at the time we hated Skylar in the first several seasons.
I found it odd that people hated her. She wasn't a great person by any means but nobody is on that show. She never seemed to be particularly notable for being an ******* to me.
i agree, but I never understood why people rooted for walt either.
Fenrir
I figured because he started out somewhat naive and relatable and as he became a complete and total **** head people just didn't want to change their minds about him.
Sex Panther
AG
Shut the hell up about Walt and Skyler
Sex Panther
AG
I love Keanu Reeves

Parks and Rec is 10x funnier than The Office
Fenrir
quote:
Shut the hell up about Walt and Skyler
Originally he seemed like a pretty decent fellow but he sure had a quick heel turn didn't he.
Texaggie7nine
Same reason people like Tony Soprano.

Sure he was a bad guy and criminal to people outside the family, but at least he was a decent guy to those in the family.
7nine
Willis
AG
quote:
quote:
I'll watch just about anything on HGTV or DIY although I'm sure I'll never do 99% of anything the shows are about.
I didn't agree with much of anything else you posted (other than Batman), but I almost added something very similar to this one. I can spend Saturday morning happily drinking coffee and watching several hours of House/Kitchen/Yard Crashers (but don't own a house).

I own a house, but I just don't have that craftsman gene. I can paint walls and hang light fixtures and change or fix basic stuff, but I can't imagine trying to tile a floor or lay hardwood or any of that stuff myself. I have a hard enough time finding a stud with a stud finder.

I am addicted to anything about tiny houses right now. I have no idea why. I don't think I could ever do it, but it is super intriguing. My one knock is I have only seen one episode where a family with a kid has gone tiny house. All the others have been just couples or singles. I have a kid with another on the way and couldn't imagine going tiny with four people.
Willis
AG
quote:

I tried watching Parks and Rec when it first came out but Poehler annoyed the crap out of me. I've seen some episodes since that were pretty funny. I should probably go back and watch it from the beginning.
Pahdz
quote:
quote:

I tried watching Parks and Rec when it first came out but Poehler annoyed the crap out of me. I've seen some episodes since that were pretty funny. I should probably go back and watch it from the beginning.
The first season is a little rough around the edges, but from then on it's dynamite.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

The difference between Parks and Rec and The Office is that The Office started off absolutely hilarious and declined over the years. Finally limping through its last season as a shell of its former self.

Parks and Rec started off a little rocky (first season especially) but eventually it found its groove and has only gotten better every year. Basically once they got rid of the first guy and brought in Rob Lowe and Adam Scott is when it really becomes great.

And you are right about Poehler. I'm a big fan, but the show was designed as a vehicle for her, and she basically tried to be the female Michael Scott. It was definitely a little grating...

Since then the emphasis has really shifted off her and more onto the supporting cast. Which in my opinion is one of the best ever.

Pawnee is like a live action Springfield with all of its ridiculous but hilarious residents who pop up from time to time.
Pahdz
I feel like those who find The Office funny are those who really watched the entire show from beginning to end after they had already been out of school and in the workforce. When I see some 09 people on this thread saying they don't like it, I'm not surprised. Even during it's funniest years, I can see how a college kid might not find it funny.
Sex Panther
AG
I agree with that Pahdz. It started when I was in school and I thought it was funny, but my sister thought it was the greatest thing ever. She'd always talk about how when I graduated I'd see that's actually how offices are in a lot of ways... which just depressed the **** out of me.
Quinn
AG
I don't think that's entirely true as my friends and I loved it, and we all graduated college in 2010.
Corporal Punishment
AG
I like Westerns but I have never seen Lonesome Dove and I hate the movie Unforgiven.

I used to confuse Styx with Air Supply.

I think Matt Damon is a bad actor.

I hated Mel Gibson until I saw Braveheart.

oh, and the worst one of all...

I hate dogs. Dead-ass serious.
mhayden
Tombstone is an average movie.

I'm halfway through Season 5 of The Sopranos -- it's well acted is probably my biggest praise.

I've never seen Return of the Jedi or The Empire Strikes Back.

I like The Monkees more than The Beatles.
MW03
AG
quote:
I hate dogs. Dead-ass serious.

Bunk Moreland
I enjoyed The Office all the way up until Jim and Pam's wedding. After that, it became horrible and I only saw it through just to see it through. But the seasons were terrible after that wedding. Too much of the office dynamic changed after that, characters being caricatures of their former selves, etc..

With Parks & Rec...the caricatures were caricatures to start with (Jean Ralphio, etc.), so there wasn't some unbelievable transformation into stupidity. On the Office, Kevin went from a bumbling fat guy with some wit(won a bracelet at the WSOP) to being mentally retarded. Similarly, Creed went from a creepy, but sly old dude who did whatever it took, to just an idiot who made one-liners so everyone would go "Ha! Creed!!"....but it wasn't funny.

I was one of those who watched the first 2 eps of Parks & Rec when it initially came in and said "no way."

Then after season 1 was finished, I took the time to go back and watch it...enjoyed it, and after season 2 I was hooked. It only got better. The show peaked during the campaign season, but it didn't fall off a cliff last year, so whatever it fell to was still better than almost all the comedies out there.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Um... absolutely I want in.

Very excited that this exists
Willis
AG
Pam and Jim's relationship and the Jim/Dwight/Michael shenanigans is what originally hooked me on the show so I would agree it lost its way after the wedding. Overall, it was still a great show. I didn't pick up on the show until it was several seasons in and I was working. (Class of '08)

I've seen a lot of Unforgiven references and read a Bradley Cooper Q & A about American Sniper where he says Unforgiven was a big influence. So I guess I need to go watch Unforgiven and start Parks and Rec over.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The difference between Parks and Rec and The Office is that The Office started off absolutely hilarious and declined over the years. Finally limping through its last season as a shell of its former self.

Parks and Rec started off a little rocky (first season especially) but eventually it found its groove and has only gotten better every year. Basically once they got rid of the first guy and brought in Rob Lowe and Adam Scott is when it really becomes great.

And you are right about Poehler. I'm a big fan, but the show was designed as a vehicle for her, and she basically tried to be the female Michael Scott. It was definitely a little grating...

Since then the emphasis has really shifted off her and more onto the supporting cast. Which in my opinion is one of the best ever.

Pawnee is like a live action Springfield with all of its ridiculous but hilarious residents who pop up from time to time.
Spot on. It just gets funnier and funnier, and Chris Traeger vs Ron Swanson have become some of my favorite sitcom interactions ever.
The Debt
Im still waiting for someone to betch about the Cohen Bros.
LHIOB
AG
quote:
Um... absolutely I want in.

Very excited that this exists
At my previous job I made a passing comment about the Challenge and a girl I worked with started laughing. I told her that I wasn't ashamed of my love for the Challenge. She took me to her cube where she had a pic of Johnny Bananas so we quickly became friends. Before the next season started she introduced me to a friend of hers in Chicago who runs the league. I think we have 27 people with a $20 buy in.

Its put together more complexly than any sports league I have been a part of. Each player is assigned a value based on previous performance and you have $1000 to spend on your team. You must have a certain amount of men and women and then 2 wild cards. The scoring categories include - misuse of the word literal (new this year), kissing, being in the pool, vomiting, drinking, being held back in a fight, reading a clue, crying, being blurred, falling in a challenge or while drunk, TJ telling them they "killed it", winning a challenge, banging, fighting, throwing something, breaking something. You can lose points when they get called out by TJ, DQ, balk a challenge or quit.

The most expensive player this season is Nany (by a long shot) and the most expensive male is Bananas followed by CT. Everyone is on the honor code to avoid any spoilers that may come up before they draft.

The girl who runs the league scores it each week - who knows how long it takes.

Either way its pretty awesome and makes watching a ton of fun. Ive done it for the past 4 or so. I'll try to remember to post about it before the next season.

RIP Diem and Knight
Corporal Punishment
AG
I paid money to see Cabin Boy.
Texaggie7nine
Ya..... Ya wanna buy a monkey?
7nine
Quinn
AG
Sounds awesome. I know Grantland does something similar, so she might just score it using their scorecard. Someone should start the official Challenge discussion thread.
Sex Panther
AG
Damn that Challenge League sounds pretty fun... I used to love the Challenge but I haven't watched in years. Not sure I'd even know most of the people anymore. I honestly didn't know they were still doing it either.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah I stopped watching probably 3 years ago or so. Not shocked at all to learn Johnny bananas is still on the show. Is there a new one on right now?
Quinn
AG
New one premiered last night. There are a few old school guys left (Bananas, CT, Wes), but it's mainly a new generation, which is still pretty solid.
2ndGen87
AG
For years, I thought Chris Rock and Chris Tucker was the same person. I wasn't paying attention to the credits so I didn't know the name Tucker.
jlb2957
AG
Please don't derail thread, guys. Start a topic.

I have actually seen every episode of Smallville and enjoyed most of the seasons. I kind of wish it was on at the same time as Arrow and the Flash.
mazag08
AG
When I'm with people who share similar taste in music but I know don't seek out a lot of new content, I will play them the first 30 seconds of every song I think they will like.
Pahdz
My wife and I are seeing Taken 3 on opening weekend

Don't care
hurleyag
AG
-Willow is my favorite movie and Val Kilmer is my favorite actor

-I dislike Seinfeld and the Big Bang Theroy

- I hate Tosh.O

-Return of the Jedi is my favorite Star Wars, yes I like the Ewoks

-I want to be on Survivor
Tanya 93
  • I have never seen Pulp Fiction.
  • I don't like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
  • I love ABBA and celebrate its entire catalog.
  • I have seen The Rocky Horror PIcture Show over 200 times and used to perform Magenta at midnight showing at the Bellaire Theatre in Houston.
  • I own every episode of Little House on the Prairie on DVD.
  • I want a punk band to cover the song Felina.
  • I slept in a Darth Vader costume for 6 months when I was 6 years old.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Those are all horrible confessions. Except that last one. That one's pretty awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.