Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,996 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow...

TCTTS
AG
Leia is back.

Utilizing unused Episode VII footage, not CGI...
TCTTS
AG
Also, no mention of Keri Russell, which is odd...
TCTTS
AG
And Hamill is officially returning.
TCTTS
AG
This is wild.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hmm.

Not sure if I'm totally onboard with bringing Leia back this way. Having said that, I much prefer this to CGI or an off-screen death. Seems like the least "bad option". Hopefully the character gets a proper send off.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

This is wild.

Actually, nothing is really wild when you're making s*** up as you go.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You're not wrong, but if Leia knows who Snoke is, Luke absolutely does too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977's A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX.
This is the most important bit in that whole presser.
TCTTS
AG
Quote:

Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us...

Also, first official confirmation that this is, in fact, the end.
TCTTS
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I always thought that should've been left in. Seems like a pretty important moment to show they had no support from the New Republic. (Not to mention to actually SEE the New Republic functioning before it's destroyed.)
TCTTS
AG
Based on that, here's my guess...

- They change the location to either Coruscant or wherever the new capital is.

- Leia asks for funding/resources for the Resistance, same as originally intended, it's just more dire this go around.

- Coruscant/new capital is attacked by the First Order.

- Leia dies in the attack.
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
AG
Well, I'm hyped.
BMX Bandit
I've seen all films but A New Hope in theater on first release.

Episode IX is first one ever I am not excited about.

Don't know if it's age, but this cast announcement made me groan
AliasMan02
AG
Belton Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

Belton Ag said:

Now, I think that Snoke found Kylo and the Knights of Ren after they split away from Luke, and I'm not sure Snoke and Luke ever had any interactions at all. In TLJ, I don't think Luke ever even mentions Snoke.

I'm not sure how that's possible, but I'm pretty weak-minded on this stuff. Spell out your reasoning a bit more.
Nowhere in the last two movies (I'm not talking about novels at all here) does it ever say that Snoke and Luke have ever met, spoken or interacted in any way whatsoever. I can't think of an instance where Luke Skywalker acknowledges he is even aware of Snoke (although I'm sure he is). We know obviously that Snoke is very aware of Luke, but not really the other way around.

Following that, I'm thinking that the first time Kylo encounters Snoke was after Kylo rebelled against Luke and destroyed his academy and left with some of the other students (whom I am assuming are the future Knights of Ren).
It was Snoke that turned Ben Solo to the Dark Side, so their first interaction (likely not in person) was definitely before Ben destroys the temple.

Luke talks about Snoke when explaining to Rey what happened to Ben.
redline248
AG
Well, there is no Republic capitol, anymore...and according to the last movie none of the systems were interested in helping the resistance.

But if JJ really wanted to cause an uproar, your scenario would be Leia asking for help from a planet of rich, male bankers.
Belton Ag
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Belton Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

Belton Ag said:

Now, I think that Snoke found Kylo and the Knights of Ren after they split away from Luke, and I'm not sure Snoke and Luke ever had any interactions at all. In TLJ, I don't think Luke ever even mentions Snoke.

I'm not sure how that's possible, but I'm pretty weak-minded on this stuff. Spell out your reasoning a bit more.
Nowhere in the last two movies (I'm not talking about novels at all here) does it ever say that Snoke and Luke have ever met, spoken or interacted in any way whatsoever. I can't think of an instance where Luke Skywalker acknowledges he is even aware of Snoke (although I'm sure he is). We know obviously that Snoke is very aware of Luke, but not really the other way around.

Following that, I'm thinking that the first time Kylo encounters Snoke was after Kylo rebelled against Luke and destroyed his academy and left with some of the other students (whom I am assuming are the future Knights of Ren).
It was Snoke that turned Ben Solo to the Dark Side, so their first interaction (likely not in person) was definitely before Ben destroys the temple.

Luke talks about Snoke when explaining to Rey what happened to Ben.
OK, so my memory does suck. I've only seen TLJ 3 times so I'm not too versed in it. So what does Luke say about Snoke other than he turned Kylo?

I'd kind of like them to explore how Snoke finds Kylo. Was he drawn to him because he was Vader's grandson?
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Either way, the implication is that Snoke was at least somewhat well known to the Republic. Which raises the question about why he and the First Order weren't taken more seriously by the Republic.
Snoke was known to Leia, but it's Leia that wasn't taken seriously by the NR. This is all expanded canon stuff, but there are a couple of reasons for this:

1. The discovery that Leia was Vader's daughter (and that she had been concealing that fact) ruined her credibility and wrecked her political career. This is the really big one.
2. It was known that there were former Imperials out beyond the influence of the NR doing their thing, but they were thought to not be a threat.
3. The First Order secretly had a lot of influence with some worlds in the NR, who still held Imperial sympathies. Remember that for most core worlds, the Empire was pretty awesome.

When Leia managed to show that these former Imperials were out there and a danger, she was pretty much dismissed, which is why she went and formed the Resistance, which had backing from a number of NR worlds.

We see Korr Sella in TFA when Hosnian Prime was destroyed, whom Leia had sent to ask for more assistance after the FO made its grand appearance.

AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Well, there is no Republic capitol, anymore...and according to the last movie none of the systems were interested in helping the resistance.

But if JJ really wanted to cause an uproar, your scenario would be Leia asking for help from a planet of rich, male bankers.
The Republic capitol rotated, but the government and fleet were destroyed when they were all in session at Hosnian Prime. Chandrilla is a good bet for where Leia will be, trying to get support.

I think a major plot point of the first act of Episode IX will be the Resistance leveraging Luke's victory at Crait into more support. That's cool because other than in Rebels, we've never really seen an alliance forming. Sort of a Star Wars version of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields/Siege of Gondor from LotR.
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

The Republic capitol rotated, but the government and fleet were destroyed when they were all in session at Hosnian Prime. Chandrilla is a good bet for where Leia will be, trying to get support.

Yes, I know that. If they were in session, who is left to run any gov on Chandrilla? After all, the Last Jedi starts with:

Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy.

Wouldn't Chandrilla, or whatever fall back planet of the NR, be the first place he sends a fleet to gain control?
TCTTS
AG
That was fast. Keri Russell now officially added to the press release...
Sex Panther
AG
No Benicio Del Toro??
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
TCTTS
AG
I said earlier this week that I'd post one when official news hit (I just didn't think it'd be this soon), so here's the official Episode IX thread, complete with a nifty little cast graphic I made...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2964692/
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

Yes, I know that. If they were in session, who is left to run any gov on Chandrilla? After all, the Last Jedi starts with:

Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy.

Wouldn't Chandrilla, or whatever fall back planet of the NR, be the first place he sends a fleet to gain control?
That's a good point.

We also don't really know which systems have the most potent planetary defense fleets. Chandrilla doesn't seem likely to have a very formidable one.
AgMarauder04
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

That's a good point.

We also don't really know which systems have the most potent planetary defense fleets. Chandrilla doesn't seem likely to have a very formidable one.

You people are NERDS
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

That's a good point.

I'm glad you brought that up. Assuming some of the Republic worlds have their own defense fleets, why wouldn't they have immediately sent forces to help the resistance after the destruction of the Hosnian system? Are they just going to roll over when the FO shows up?
AliasMan02
AG
I can only speculate, but I imagine it was such a shock and the defeat of the NR so complete that most are hunkering down. One consistent fact about world/system governments in Star Wars is that they are incredibly meek, which is why the Rebel Alliance and Resistance were each needed in the first place.
redline248
AG
I'll reiterate what I said pages and pages back (or maybe on the left Jedi thread), maybe this galaxy deserves to be ruled by a tyrannical dictator.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

AOTC is sort of a train wreck. Never understood the recycled music from TPM.
I assume you mean Duel of the Fates?

Firstly, that just an awesome theme that should be in every movie.

But second, it's really not that odd. It was used in ROTS as well. (And quite well.)

Think of how the Force Theme was used throughout the entire OT, along with the Imperial March, Leia's Theme, Yoda's Theme, etc.
Music in the actual movie is reused from TPM, like when they get to Geonosis.

Also, if you ever use the term "firstly" again, I'm going to have to kill you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah?
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah?

I think you mean only Jedi. Aren't there different force users all over the galaxy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why would there be?
Liquid Wrench
It's been demonstrated that the Jedi and sith characters we knew from the first 2 trilogies are not the only force users and certainly not the only force sensitives. But i'm probably misunderstanding your comment.
First Page Last Page
Page 753 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.