Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,135 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jedi were basically myth by the time of the OT. Luke was the last force user once Vader and Palps were gone. (Except Snoke obviously.)

Unless there's mention of any force users post RotJ I don't know about?
redline248
AG
So there are still force sensitive people in the galaxy, and they probably have some minor, unconscious use of the force.

There are few trained to use the force left. At the end of TLJ, there are Rey, Kylo, Leia of whom we know are trained (and Rey barely), and I would assume the academy students who left with Ben...whoever and wherever they are.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Precisely.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jedi were basically myth by the time of the OT.
which was always a dumb story point.

it was only 20 years.

Yes, there were "only" 10,000 jedi for the whole galaxy, but a huge galaxy-spanning war had just occurred and the jedi were very much part of it.

they should not be "myth" by any stretch, but yes, that is how they are described in the canon.
SeattleAgJr
SeattleAgJr said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Luke was the last force user once Vader and Palps were gone. (Except Snoke obviously.)

Unless there's mention of any force users post RotJ I don't know about?
Nope Ahsoka is still around post Jedi, as is Ezra.

But with the new canon, not much else has been fleshed out here I believe. it would be ridiculous to think there are not other force users out there; they just have not been described yet.
redline248
AG
Ezra is not really "around"
SeattleAgJr
redline248 said:

Ezra is not really "around"
well, they did leave to go find him after ROTJ. So it is likely he is around, just not involved.

plus did you not see all the fan pre-hype... Benicio del Toro was him in TLJ.... :-)
Farmer1906
AG
I saw some kid use the force the TLJ. It's probably safer to assume they exist than not.

Let's not forget about the ancient beings in Rebels. I don't think he and his kind of died off one day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He moved a broom, alert the Jedi ghosts!

Honestly haven't seen Rebels, but I was going by film canon. Point remains that with Luke being the strongest Force user in the entire galaxy, Snoke will likely detect him.

Actually, I wonder if the death of Vader and Palpatine sort of allowed that dark force energy to sort of "redirect" to Snoke and made him more powerful. Would be interesting if they went into it more in IX. The balance of the force and all that.
Liquid Wrench
Yeah, I'm completely lost on what's canon and what's not, but it's never been suggested that the Jedi and sith characters we see on screen are the only people who know about the force. Rogue One and The Force Awakens seemed to be pretty emphatic about that, even if we exclude all the EU stuff.

Quote:

Point remains that with Luke being the strongest Force user in the entire galaxy, Snoke will likely detect him.

Well yeah, I think that's pretty likely.
bangobango
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

He moved a broom, alert the Jedi ghosts!

Honestly haven't seen Rebels, but I was going by film canon. Point remains that with Luke being the strongest Force user in the entire galaxy, Snoke will likely detect him.

Actually, I wonder if the death of Vader and Palpatine sort of allowed that dark force energy to sort of "redirect" to Snoke and made him more powerful. Would be interesting if they went into it more in IX. The balance of the force and all that.

I think that's a logical conclusion based on what TLJ said about the Force.

Of course, I get the feeling JJ is about to retcon the hell out of TLJ, so a lot of what was said may end up being wrong when it's all said and done.
Sex Panther
AG
Sorry to derail, but ChiliBeans you should check out this thread on the Zoo

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2963607/5
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
Liquid Wrench
Thanks. He got a late night email about it, but figured it was a trap. Like when Tommy thought he was becoming a made man.
AliasMan02
AG
Killing time today in Target, I swung by the Star Wars toys to browse. I know the day of the action figure has passed, but man, it still gets me excited.

For those who may be unhappy with the Disney films, an area that is as good or better than ever is the character designs. Looking over the toys I was reminded how awesome all the new troopers have been (First Order, Range Troopers, etc.) as well as designs for characters like Enfys. She is so cool looking.

Always takes great restraint not to buy some when I see them, especially the Black Series of various troopers, which are always the most awesome looking toys.
Jason Ag
AG
Yes, the design and sets were top notch. I was impressed with Captain Phasma in person at Disney. Darth Vader still runs the show, that voice.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Belton Ag said:

AliasMan02 said:

Belton Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

Belton Ag said:

Now, I think that Snoke found Kylo and the Knights of Ren after they split away from Luke, and I'm not sure Snoke and Luke ever had any interactions at all. In TLJ, I don't think Luke ever even mentions Snoke.

I'm not sure how that's possible, but I'm pretty weak-minded on this stuff. Spell out your reasoning a bit more.
Nowhere in the last two movies (I'm not talking about novels at all here) does it ever say that Snoke and Luke have ever met, spoken or interacted in any way whatsoever. I can't think of an instance where Luke Skywalker acknowledges he is even aware of Snoke (although I'm sure he is). We know obviously that Snoke is very aware of Luke, but not really the other way around.

Following that, I'm thinking that the first time Kylo encounters Snoke was after Kylo rebelled against Luke and destroyed his academy and left with some of the other students (whom I am assuming are the future Knights of Ren).
It was Snoke that turned Ben Solo to the Dark Side, so their first interaction (likely not in person) was definitely before Ben destroys the temple.

Luke talks about Snoke when explaining to Rey what happened to Ben.
OK, so my memory does suck. I've only seen TLJ 3 times so I'm not too versed in it. So what does Luke say about Snoke other than he turned Kylo?

I'd kind of like them to explore how Snoke finds Kylo. Was he drawn to him because he was Vader's grandson?

In the novelization of The Last Jedi, Snoke tells Rey/Ren that Luke was wise at first to not train anyone else because of the potential for failure. However, then when Leia sensed the Dark Side in Ben - from Snoke somehow making contact with him - Luke decided to take him and train him, with the other unnamed pupils.

Snoke says he actually wanted it to happen that way because he had previous apprentices who failed and he wanted Luke to train Ben in the ways of the Force so that he (Snoke) wouldn't have to.

Snoke also suggests that the FIrst Order wasn't crazy about having him as the leader, but when they were rebuilding in the Unknown Regions he was able to give them things - not sure if that mean physical resources or what - that made his position with them logical.
Velvet Jones
AG
Cha-ching!

Draft 'Empire Strikes Back' Poster Sells at Auction for $26,400
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saul Goodman
AG
Some men just want to watch the world burn.
The Collective
AG
They see me trolling
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How many minds does this guy have?
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fantastic.

https://i.imgur.com/DGWkPQa.mp4
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fantastic.

https://imgur.com/DGWkPQa
That's the best thing I've seen in months.

Could do one for ROTS too.

Ki Adi " What about the droid attack on the Wakandans?"
Yoda: "Go, I will. Good relations with the Wakandans I have."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So what do y'all think the Disney-Fox merger will mean for Star Wars going forward?

Couple factors to consider.

Disney will now own all theatrical rights for the OT.
Disney will now own both Star Wars and Avatar.

If I had to guess, I think they'll do a proper, theatrical re-release of all the movies nationwide. (Basically finish what Lucasfilm had started to do when they re-released Episode I in 3D.)

Disney will schedule Star Wars and Avatar for every other December, alternating between the two.
2019 - Episode IX
2020 - Avatar 2
2021 - First Benioff & Weiss SW movie
2022 - Avatar 3

And so on.
Farmer1906
AG
Do people care about Avatar? I just feel like Cameron cashed in on the 3D visual effects. I still have no idea how it did THAT well at the box office.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seeing as it made nearly $3B, and the new Pandora area in Disney World is the most popular area across all of their parks, I'm gonna say some people do.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Disney will schedule Star Wars and Avatar for every other December, alternating between the two.
2019 - Episode IX
2020 - Avatar 2
2021 - First Benioff & Weiss SW movie
2022 - Avatar 3

And so on.
Where does Johnson's trilogy fit in? I would think they're still going to give us a Star Wars movie a year. Maybe just alternate trilogies.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Seeing as it made nearly $3B, and the new Pandora area in Disney World is the most popular area across all of their parks, I'm gonna say some people do.
It did 3B a decade ago. I don't think it has staying power and the hardcore fanbase as MCU, Star Wars, DCU, etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Provided it doesn't get "put on hold", I would think they alternate between the series.

B&W - 2021, 2025, 2029
RJ - 2023, 2027, 2031

Although, when you look at 'em like that, maybe waiting 4 years between movies is too much time. So, we may end up with one of those series moving to May in order to close that gap to 2 years.

B&W - Dec 2021, Dec 2023, Dec 2025
RJ - May 2022, May 2024, May 2026

The issue with that is that Solo crashed and burned in May, which may have spooked them.

And obviously Avatar is no Star Wars or MCU (yet), but let's leave that for another thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I suppose they could also do Avatar every 3 years instead, and just make it a clean 3 year gap for all of them.

2020 - Avatar 2
2021 - B&W 1
2022 - RJ 1
2023 - Avatar 3
2024 - B&W 2
2025 - RJ 2
etc.

I still think that seems too long of a gap, but maybe Disney is ok with that as long as they have one guaranteed blockbuster for each Christmas.

The main thing is, I really don't see them ever doing both Avatar and Star Wars in the same month.
Farmer1906
AG
They have to balance it with MCU which seems like they're doing 3 a year now.

I would not be mad if they establish months for each move and kept it like that for several years

April is MCU
May is Avatar
Jun is Pixar
July is MCU
Oct is MCU
Nov is Animation
Dec is Star Wars

TCTTS
AG
This is what I'm thinking. I love seeing it presented as such as well, month by month like that.

Star Wars and Avatar both can't/won't exist in December. Someone has to move. And as mentioned earlier, because Solo was a semi-disaster in May, I doubt Star Wars ever releases in May (or the summer) again. It's also worth noting that the first Avatar originally had a Memorial Day Weekend 2009 release date, and May 2008 and May 2007 release dates prior to that (but that's whole other issue). Point is, Avatar was oringally conceived as a summer tentpole release. It wasn't until relatively late in the game that Fox decided to move it to December.

Right now, Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 are scheduled for December 2020 and December 2021, respectively. Then, if audiences respond to those two movies, there will be a gap, and Avatar 4 and Avatar 5 are tentatively scheduled for December 2024 and December 2025, respectively. All four sequels are scheduled, but only the first two are currently filming and guaranteed to release.

Regardless, the December 2020 release for Avatar 2 creates a bit of a conundrum...

- There's no Star Wars movie currently scheduled for 2020. Obi-Wan MIGHT fall into that spot, but at this point I doubt that even that spin-off is happening, at least any time relatively soon, and it's looking more and more like the next Star Wars movie after IX will be the first in Rian Johnson's trilogy, currently rumored (by the producer himself) as a tentative 2021 release.

- So, considering the "gap" in 2020, does Disney keep Avatar 2 there, knowing that Avatar 3 will likely get "bumped" in 2021 by Star Wars? Or, does Disney go ahead and announce that BOTH Avatar sequels are moving to summer, paving the way for Star Wars in December 2021? I honestly don't know.

If I were the one planning this out, I'd go one of two ways...

- 2020 = No Avatar, No Star Wars
- 2021 = Avatar 2 in May, Rian Johnson Star Wars Part 1 in December
- 2022 = Avatar 3 in May, Benioff & Weiss Stars Wars Part 1 in December
- 2023 = Rian Johnson Star Wars Part 2 in December
- 2024 = Benioff & Weiss Stars Wars Part 2 in December
- 2025 = Avatar 4 in May, Rian Johnson Star Wars Part 3 in December
- 2026 = Avatar 5 in May, Benioff & Weiss Stars Wars Part 3 in December

... OR ...

- 2020 = Avatar 2 in December (as currently scheduled)
- 2021 = Avatar 3 in December (as currently scheduled)
- 2022 = Rian Johnson Star Wars Part 1 in December (allowing a nice, clean two-year break after IX)
- 2023 = Benioff & Weiss Star Wars Part 1 in December
- 2024 = Avatar 4 in May, Rian Johnson Star Wars Part 2 in December
- 2025 = Avatar 5 in May, Benioff & Weiss Stars Wars Part 2 in December
- 2026 = Rian Johnson Star Wars Part 3 in December
- 2027 = Benioff & Weiss Stars Wars Part 3 in December

... and between those two scenarios, I'd probably pick the second. Either way, one of the franchises is likely going to get "bumped" six months to a year. And personally, I'd rather take a two-year breather from Star Wars after IX, before diving into all the new stuff. That said, there are obviously a number of other scenarios on the board as well, so who knows. Can't wait 'til see how it all plays out, though...
First Page Last Page
Page 754 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.