Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,071 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How about we move on and not attempt to argue fruitlessly on an anonymous message board over something that, in all likelihood, as very little impact on our lives as a whole? I have one opinion, you have another. Let's just leave it at that.
Belton Ag
AG
fig96 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

fig96 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Enough people from that world take to Twitter to tell us how to think and act. Like it or not, that's a fact. Tran was a pretty awful part of TLJ, bit what happened to her is wrong, but there is a role Hollywood played in the degeneration of civility. Not as much as Washington, but still.
Dude, give me a break.

Someone on Twitter "told you" how to act? So ignore them. Don't read what they said. Not hard.

Now go ignore thousands of people attacking you personally on every social media channel. Not even kind of the same thing.

You're right Hollywood is the victim. They are all wonderful people who are what we should all aspire to be like. How could I dare question their magnificence?

Please forgive my ignorance.
Not even remotely what I said or even implied, but whatever. You make it really easy to ignore your opinion when you post comments like this.
I think the overall point is that the social media world is a toxic cesspool and that Hollywood types are knee deep in the cesspool and help stoke it all - and they do, there are too many examples to count but you can start with Joss Whedon - and that the bottom line is that NONE of it is any good. There is a difference between Whedon wishing Trump to die or Paul Ryan to be raped by a Rhinoceros and what happened to Tran, yes, but it's all a part of the same scummy world. Ignoring Whedon's garbage and allowing it to continue in deference to Tran isn't going to help the problem.
fig96
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

How about we move on and not attempt to argue fruitlessly on an anonymous message board over something that, in all likelihood, as very little impact on our lives as a whole? I have one opinion, you have another. Let's just leave it at that.
If you don't want to discuss a topic, don't respond to it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I know I instigated this with the McQuarrie clip, but yeah, at this point let's just move on.

There's not much to discuss right now outside of Clone Wars and the Qui-Gon novel, so let's hope for some big movie news soon...
The Collective
AG
TCW news was pretty big, but again, Disney is playing it pretty safe returning to a familiar era. I am curious which show or movie will break the mold into an unfamiliar era.
fig96
AG
Belton Ag said:

fig96 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

fig96 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Enough people from that world take to Twitter to tell us how to think and act. Like it or not, that's a fact. Tran was a pretty awful part of TLJ, bit what happened to her is wrong, but there is a role Hollywood played in the degeneration of civility. Not as much as Washington, but still.
Dude, give me a break.

Someone on Twitter "told you" how to act? So ignore them. Don't read what they said. Not hard.

Now go ignore thousands of people attacking you personally on every social media channel. Not even kind of the same thing.

You're right Hollywood is the victim. They are all wonderful people who are what we should all aspire to be like. How could I dare question their magnificence?

Please forgive my ignorance.
Not even remotely what I said or even implied, but whatever. You make it really easy to ignore your opinion when you post comments like this.
I think the overall point is that the social media world is a toxic cesspool and that Hollywood types are knee deep in the cesspool and help stoke it all - and they do, there are too many examples to count but you can start with Joss Whedon - and that the bottom line is that NONE of it is any good. There is a difference between Whedon wishing Trump to die or Paul Ryan to be raped by a Rhinoceros to what happened to Tran, yes, but it's all a part of the same scummy world. Ignoring Whedon's garbage and allowing it to continue in deference to Tran isn't going to help the problem.
I hadn't seen those specific comments from Whedon but I'd agree that's over the top and uncalled for.

And you can say that toxic comments from Hollywood or even the world in general haven't helped the situation, and that's fair. I just can't in any way use individuals' comments as justification for what's happened to Tran or others, and that's what seems to be happening.

In any case, happy to let it go here.
The Collective
AG
Belton Ag said:

yes, but it's all a part of the same scummy world. Ignoring Whedon's garbage and allowing it to continue in deference to Tran isn't going to help the problem.

Good guys, bad guys, made-up words.
Belton Ag
AG
CJS4715 said:

Belton Ag said:

yes, but it's all a part of the same scummy world. Ignoring Whedon's garbage and allowing it to continue in deference to Tran isn't going to help the problem.

Good guys, bad guys, made-up words.
See! There really is a valuable lesson to take from TLJ!
AgMarauder04
AG
Nobody is defending what happened to Tran. It's utterly ridiculous for that to happen over a movie role. (Although I am SUPER disappointed she's back for IX)
The Collective
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Although I am SUPER disappointed she's back for IX

AgMarauder04
AG
The clip was good and the discussion warranted. I take some ownership for poor word choice in attempting to express that both sides have fault in the current climate.

But that horse is dead. Definitely time to move on.
Dro07
AG
so does Thrawn make an appearance in TCW? At one point i think i remember a conversation about him knowing or meeting Anakin.
AliasMan02
AG
dromo07 said:

so does Thrawn make an appearance in TCW? At one point i think i remember a conversation about him knowing or meeting Anakin.

It would have been in the canceled season and is now in Thrawn: Alliances.
fig96
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

The clip was good and the discussion warranted. I take some ownership for poor word choice in attempting to express that both sides have fault in the current climate.

But that horse is dead. Definitely time to move on.
The Collective
AG
Brian, is there any chance you could link the individual movie threads to your OP? I thought it might be useful as well.

TFA
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2701741/1#discussion

TLJ
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2846891/1#discussion

Rogue One
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2818564

Solo
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2929571/1#discussion

There might be some others with the spoiler/non-spoiler threads, but these appear to be the main ones.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not a bad idea. I'll do that.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Maybe JJ will take us to Tatooine and she'll fall into the pit of the Sarlacc
Pro Ag
AG
CJS4715 said:

TCW news was pretty big, but again, Disney is playing it pretty safe returning to a familiar era. I am curious which show or movie will break the mold into an unfamiliar era.

I don'the have any idea how it works with the authors, maybe they have been told not to work beyond the scope of episode 9 which could be limiting them. I am hopeful we can get something different once episode 9 is out.
AgMarauder04
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

A early, hilarious death would make me damn day.
AgMarauder04
AG
Pro Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

I don'the have any idea how it works with the authors, maybe they have been told not to work beyond the scope of episode 9 which could be limiting them. I am hopeful we can get something different once episode 9 is out.
It's a shame, because a "birth of the First Order" during the Republic would be kinda awesome.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

A early, hilarious death would make me damn day.

There's always these guys.
?itemid=4813355
AgMarauder04
AG
"Finn, I love y...."

THWACK.

*sand people sounds*

Finn: "Welp"
TCTTS
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Pro Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

It's a shame, because a "birth of the First Order" during the Republic would be kinda awesome.

I've said this before, but the birth of the First Order should have been The Force Awakens full stop. Or, rather, we should have seen them reveal themselves and should have been surprised with the Republic at their existence. We still could have had Rey, Finn, Luke, etc in their same, basic arcs, but it was a huge missed opportunity to have the First Order at least start out in the shadows and not be an already known quantity. It honestly wouldn't have taken that much reworking. Then, post-movie, Lucasfilm could have released at comic or novel detailing exactly how they came to be.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Urban Ag said:

Agreed. But in all fairness, Hollywood is getting a dose of what conservatives have been getting for decades. This is what Ag Marauder and CJS4715 are trying to point out. I think.

For example, I am opposed to illegal immigration. A massive swath of this country will call me a xenophobic, racist, backwards, redneck, because of this. In my world I am like, hold on, wait a moment, I have legitimate reasons I would be happy to discuss and debate, but you've just labeled me Hitler. And for crying out loud I am married to a Latina that grew up on the border. It hurts. It sucks. It makes you feel like complete sh** when people who don't know you, don't know a damn thing about what lies in your heart, completely eviscerate you.

That's the whole drag with this hyper sensitive BS culture this country is embracing. Roseanne should not have been fired, IMO. Gunn should not have been fired, IMO. Personally attacking that chick that played Rose in TLJ, or Boyega, or for the love of Christ, the absolutely demented level of hate thrown at George Lucas, Rian Johnson, etc, it's just simply unacceptable in what should be a polite society.

Everyone needs to chill the F out. Seriously.

Did anyone else read this entire thing in the voice Michael Shannon uses reading the sorority letter on Funny or Die?

Urban Ag
AG
fig96 said:

Urban Ag said:

fig96 said:

CJS4715 said:

I agree with most of that, but I do want to make one deviation, Hollywood is a target, because they have used the pulpit for years to lecture others. Now, the tables have turned and the masses have a medium that allows them to attack back, and it is making people uncomfortable.
Sorry, but that sounds like one big defense of often indefensible actions. And the big difference is that you don't have to listen to Hollywood.

You don't like what they're saying, feel they're "lecturing" (which IMO is pretty rare but to each their own), or whatever, then you're totally entitled to that. Don't buy the product/watch the show/play the game. Problem solved.

The way people are using the medium isn't making people "uncomfortable", it's making them often feel targeted, abused, unsafe, and worse. There's a massive difference between discussing or making your opinion known and making people who created something the targets of abuse.

Agreed. But in all fairness, Hollywood is getting a dose of what conservatives have been getting for decades. This is what Ag Marauder and CJS4715 are trying to point out. I think.

For example, I am opposed to illegal immigration. A massive swath of this country will call me a xenophobic, racist, backwards, redneck, because of this. In my world I am like, hold on, wait a moment, I have legitimate reasons I would be happy to discuss and debate, but you've just labeled me Hitler. And for crying out loud I am married to a Latina that grew up on the border. It hurts. It sucks. It makes you feel like complete sh** when people who don't know you, don't know a damn thing about what lies in your heart, completely eviscerate you.

That's the whole drag with this hyper sensitive BS culture this country is embracing. Roseanne should not have been fired, IMO. Gunn should not have been fired, IMO. Personally attacking that chick that played Rose in TLJ, or Boyega, or for the love of Christ, the absolutely demented level of hate thrown at George Lucas, Rian Johnson, etc, it's just simply unacceptable in what should be a polite society.

Everyone needs to chill the F out. Seriously.
See, I can't see how you can even look at those things and call them in any way similar. And I say that as someone who's pretty politicly moderate and was very conservative for a long time.

Yes, Hollywood typically leans liberal and has for a while for a number of reasons, and you see that more prominently in some aspects than others (talk shows and sketch comedy in particular). But are you really saying that people viciously attacking individuals via Twitter and other social media, launching campaigns to tank films because they don't like the direction (or even an executive) a studio has chosen, etc., is even remotely equivalent to that?

Our current political climate is garbage and doesn't actually encourage any discussion on issues where people are probably closer in opinion than not if they actually examined things, but that's a separate issue all together.
let's just agree to disagree because at this point I can't even follow WTF you're even talking about
fig96
AG
Don't know why that was challenging, but we all dropped this a few posts back.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good watch.

Solo Tetherball Champ
TCTTS said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Pro Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

I've said this before, but the birth of the First Order should have been The Force Awakens full stop. Or, rather, we should have seen them reveal themselves and should have been surprised with the Republic at their existence. We still could have had Rey, Finn, Luke, etc in their same, basic arcs, but it was a huge missed opportunity to have the First Order at least start out in the shadows and not be an already known quantity. It honestly wouldn't have taken that much reworking. Then, post-movie, Lucasfilm could have released at comic or novel detailing exactly how they came to be.

I wish there had been a third faction - an actual Imperial Remnant made up of much of the remaining loyal Imperial Bureaucracy/Military who were also shocked at its existence. I think JJ Abrams (or some lucasfilm executive) said that the idea behind the First Order was what if the Nazis who escaped to South America rebuilt the Third Reich there. In this case the Imperial Remnant would have been the ones who stayed behind in Germany. I remember in the old EU books the Imperial Remnants controlled about 1/3rd of the Galaxy, but it wasn't exactly a unified organization. Sometimes it would unite against the Republic, and sometimes it would balkanize and fight among itself.

Now I'm not sure how you could portray that on film, but i think it makes for a more interesting background.
AliasMan02
AG
There is an Imperial remnant in the new canon, operating on Coruscant under NR supervision.

Just a tidbit.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

There is an Imperial remnant in the new canon, operating on Coruscant under NR supervision.

Just a tidbit.

I think because I haven't read the new canon books and comics, but is there a short summary of what exactly the New Republic is doing in TFA and TLJ?

The First Order blew up a planet that was not Coruscant and that effective ended killed the New Republic's leadership?

And is there an Imperial remnant that formed the First Order and an Imperial remnant that was on Coruscant? Did they coordinate? What if anything were they during the turmoil of the events of TFA and TLJ?

I think this may may be the most confusing item to me as a fan of the old EU, what is the deal with the New Republic and the Old Empire.

I am not interested in arguing if the story ideas are good or not, but just want to know what is going on from another fan's perspective.

Thank you.
Ag Since 83
AG
Coruscant was not the capital of the Nee Republic. Hosnian Prime was, so it's destruction in TFA destroyed the government.

As for the Empire, I don't remember if they let the remnant stay on Coruscant after they surrendered, but either way that is different than the remnant who went to the unknown regions after the Battle of Jakku and formed the first order
AliasMan02
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

AliasMan02 said:

Just a tidbit.

I think because I haven't read the new canon books and comics, but is there a short summary of what exactly the New Republic is doing in TFA and TLJ?

The First Order blew up a planet that was not Coruscant and that effective ended killed the New Republic's leadership?

And is there an Imperial remnant that formed the First Order and an Imperial remnant that was on Coruscant? Did they coordinate? What if anything were they during the turmoil of the events of TFA and TLJ?

I think this may may be the most confusing item to me as a fan of the old EU, what is the deal with the New Republic and the Old Empire.

I am not interested in arguing if the story ideas are good or not, but just want to know what is going on from another fan's perspective.

Thank you.

Mas Amedda is running Coruscant as a NR puppet, basically. He has no contact with the FO that we know of. Basically the NR didn't want Coruscant back and established rotating capitols. The Senate and fleet were at Hosnian Prime when it was destroyed.

The Imperial remnant that fled to the Unknown Regions and became the First Order is what was left after the Battle of Jakku. That was part of Palpatine's contingency plan for the Empire.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Thank you both.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
nice piece from IO9 on the fascination with my personal favorite character Obi-Wan Kenobi.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-are-we-so-fascinated-by-obi-wan-kenobis-life-on-tat-1827450522

Listening to the Last Jedi soundtrack tonight. Say what you want about the film (actually please don't), that soundtrack friggin' rocks. Am I about to do an impromptu soundtrack ranking? Yes I am, but only from the John Williams' ones.

1) ESB
2) ANH
3) ROTJ
4) TPM
5) TLJ
6) TFA
7) ROTS
8) AOTC

cue Spillner's rage at my Revenge of the SIth ranking in 3 .. 2... 1
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All prequels are ahead of TFA and TLJ, imo. Though I do love Rey's Theme and Jedi Steps.
First Page Last Page
Page 751 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.