Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,664 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just realized that the new season of TCW likely means we get the episode(s) of Thrawn and Anakin crossing paths.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think that's all in the book, but maybe?
AliasMan02
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I think that's all in the book, but maybe?

In Thrawn he makes reference to having known Anakin and asked Palpatine if he survived the war. I guess it's possible we see it in Alliances as flashbacks. I guess we'll see on Tuesday.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
PatAg
AG
#1 said:

Meh. Not excited for this one after the turd that I saw last December. I'm going to wait for the reviews from this board before I consider seeing it.

Bull****, you are going to see it as soon as you can
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I highly recommend taking the three minutes to listen to this because his interpretation of what is happening, not just with "toxic fandom" but in society as a whole is completely spot on. All of this toxic fandom garbage is just one of many symptoms on display of what is essentially an acceptance of fringe behavior, if not the encouragement of it.

It's not acceptable for grown men to endlessly cyber bully actors, at a personal level, because they're butthurt about a freaking SW movie.

It's not acceptable to throw public temper tantrums and scream and wail at the sky because your politician didn't get elected.

It's not acceptable to slander women on the internet because you're too pathetic to stand a chance at actually attracting a female.

It's not acceptable to violently protest when someone or some group expresses positions you don't agree with.

I could go on and on. This isn't just about pissed off nerds. It's everywhere. It's become part of normal American life and needs to be quashed.
TCTTS
AG
Very well said, by both you and McQuarrie. Thanks for posting, Brian.
John Matrix
AG
Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I highly recommend taking the three minutes to listen to this because his interpretation of what is happening, not just with "toxic fandom" but in society as a whole is completely spot on. All of this toxic fandom garbage is just one of many symptoms on display of what is essentially an acceptance of fringe behavior, if not the encouragement of it.

It's not acceptable for grown men to endlessly cyber bully actors, at a personal level, because they're butthurt about a freaking SW movie.

It's not acceptable to throw public temper tantrums and scream and wail at the sky because your politician didn't get elected.

It's not acceptable to slander women on the internet because you're too pathetic to stand a chance at actually attracting a female.

It's not acceptable to violently protest when someone or some group expresses positions you don't agree with.

I could go on and on. This isn't just about pissed off nerds. It's everywhere. It's become part of normal American life and needs to be quashed.

Fantastic take on this. I consider myself pretty politically moderate, which almost makes me feel like an outsider in today's society because I try to approach things logically instead of emotionally,( even though, ironically, I can be an emotional person), which is also a way of me saying that I despise this internet GamerGate/Angry Star Wars/Woke internet mob mentality that has taken over every corner of the internet. Roseanne shouldn't have been fired.James Gunn shouldn't have been fired. It's ok to like Tje Last Jedi. It's ok to be disappointed in it. People should be fired for what they DO, not what they say. I hate to see it, but I've even seen that kind of metallity on TexAgs, specifically on this board, which I tend to think is one of the coolest, less negative boards in this site. It's a my way or the highway mentality for everyone, with no middle ground.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great takes. I agree wholeheartedly.
The Collective
AG
I agree with most of that, but I do want to make one deviation, Hollywood is a target, because they have used the pulpit for years to lecture others. Now, the tables have turned and the masses have a medium that allows them to attack back, and it is making people uncomfortable.
AgMarauder04
AG
CJS4715 said:

I agree with most of that, but I do want to make one deviation, Hollywood is a target, because they have used the pulpit for years to lecture others. Now, the tables have turned and the masses have a medium that allows them to attack back, and it is making people uncomfortable.
and tbh, I think they're both wrong. "Elites" tend to think they're smarter than everyone else. when they deliver their message, it comes across as condescending, and now there's pushback.

Urban nailed it. Toxic fandom is a symptom of society today in which violence and hatred of people different (not just skin or sexual orientation, but what we believe) is becoming normalized.
AgMarauder04
AG
ON a sepsrate note, TC and Brian....when do we start a IX thread? (I only ask because I just re watched TLJ, still don't hate it, and I'm excited for how it will wrap)
TCTTS
AG
Hmmm. My vote would be to wait until something official hits. That's usually when I tend to start a specific spin-off thread. Say, when the first images are released, or if there's some kind of behind-the-scenes featurette for the start of filming, like with TLJ. Or, if we don't see any of those things relatively soon, maybe January or so, when the title is announced? We're still 15 months out, and it feels a little early, but if you guys think we should start one now, I guess I'd be down.
AgMarauder04
AG
I mean, without anything concrete, there's not much to talk about except Lando and Keri Russell rumors. I was just curious. It's the thing that moving Solo to May kinda sucks is we have to wait so long for info on the next one.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, then I'd say maybe in the next couple months, as more news comes from filming, or we just wait 'til January. I think you're right in that there's just nothing concrete to even talk about quite yet, especially considering the lack of story threads connecting 8 and 9. This almost feels like a completely new thing in that sense, and I wouldn't mind a bit more of a breather before really digging into it.
Pro Ag
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Alias - Do you have a single source on Twitter you use to hear about the new books? That guy tweets a lot so I wondered if you had another option.

I enjoy seeing the heads up here, however I like to stay away from high level spoilers so I don't spend much time on this thread.
AliasMan02
AG
Pro Ag said:

AliasMan02 said:

Alias - Do you have a single source on Twitter you use to hear about the new books? That guy tweets a lot so I wondered if you had another option.

I enjoy seeing the heads up here, however I like to stay away from high level spoilers so I don't spend much time on this thread.
https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars

For good measure, I don't think these were mentioned:

fig96
AG
CJS4715 said:

Sorry, but that sounds like one big defense of often indefensible actions. And the big difference is that you don't have to listen to Hollywood.

You don't like what they're saying, feel they're "lecturing" (which IMO is pretty rare but to each their own), or whatever, then you're totally entitled to that. Don't buy the product/watch the show/play the game. Problem solved.

The way people are using the medium isn't making people "uncomfortable", it's making them often feel targeted, abused, unsafe, and worse. There's a massive difference between discussing or making your opinion known and making people who created something the targets of abuse.
AgMarauder04
AG
fig96 said:

CJS4715 said:

Sorry, but that sounds like one big defense of often indefensible actions. And the big difference is that you don't have to listen to Hollywood.

You don't like what they're saying, feel they're "lecturing" (which IMO is pretty rare but to each their own), or whatever, then you're totally entitled to that. Don't buy the product/watch the show/play the game. Problem solved.

The way people are using the medium isn't making people "uncomfortable", it's making them often feel targeted, abused, unsafe, and worse. There's a massive difference between discussing or making your opinion known and making people who created something the targets of abuse.

And MANY of them are using the same medium to attack and defame others as well. It's not one sided.
Urban Ag
AG
fig96 said:

CJS4715 said:

Agreed. But in all fairness, Hollywood is getting a dose of what conservatives have been getting for decades. This is what Ag Marauder and CJS4715 are trying to point out. I think.

For example, I am opposed to illegal immigration. A massive swath of this country will call me a xenophobic, racist, backwards, redneck, because of this. In my world I am like, hold on, wait a moment, I have legitimate reasons I would be happy to discuss and debate, but you've just labeled me Hitler. And for crying out loud I am married to a Latina that grew up on the border. It hurts. It sucks. It makes you feel like complete sh** when people who don't know you, don't know a damn thing about what lies in your heart, completely eviscerate you.

That's the whole drag with this hyper sensitive BS culture this country is embracing. Roseanne should not have been fired, IMO. Gunn should not have been fired, IMO. Personally attacking that chick that played Rose in TLJ, or Boyega, or for the love of Christ, the absolutely demented level of hate thrown at George Lucas, Rian Johnson, etc, it's just simply unacceptable in what should be a polite society.

Everyone needs to chill the F out. Seriously.
fig96
AG
Urban Ag said:

fig96 said:

CJS4715 said:

Agreed. But in all fairness, Hollywood is getting a dose of what conservatives have been getting for decades. This is what Ag Marauder and CJS4715 are trying to point out. I think.

For example, I am opposed to illegal immigration. A massive swath of this country will call me a xenophobic, racist, backwards, redneck, because of this. In my world I am like, hold on, wait a moment, I have legitimate reasons I would be happy to discuss and debate, but you've just labeled me Hitler. And for crying out loud I am married to a Latina that grew up on the border. It hurts. It sucks. It makes you feel like complete sh** when people who don't know you, don't know a damn thing about what lies in your heart, completely eviscerate you.

That's the whole drag with this hyper sensitive BS culture this country is embracing. Roseanne should not have been fired, IMO. Gunn should not have been fired, IMO. Personally attacking that chick that played Rose in TLJ, or Boyega, or for the love of Christ, the absolutely demented level of hate thrown at George Lucas, Rian Johnson, etc, it's just simply unacceptable in what should be a polite society.

Everyone needs to chill the F out. Seriously.
See, I can't see how you can even look at those things and call them in any way similar. And I say that as someone who's pretty politicly moderate and was very conservative for a long time.

Yes, Hollywood typically leans liberal and has for a while for a number of reasons, and you see that more prominently in some aspects than others (talk shows and sketch comedy in particular). But are you really saying that people viciously attacking individuals via Twitter and other social media, launching campaigns to tank films because they don't like the direction (or even an executive) a studio has chosen, etc., is even remotely equivalent to that?

Our current political climate is garbage and doesn't actually encourage any discussion on issues where people are probably closer in opinion than not if they actually examined things, but that's a separate issue all together.
fig96
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

fig96 said:

CJS4715 said:

And MANY of them are using the same medium to attack and defame others as well. It's not one sided.
I can't recall any filmmaker or actor trying to actively ruin someone else's life.

A young woman who is by all accounts a pretty lovely person was bullied off social media entirely. That's pretty damn one sided.
AgMarauder04
AG
Enough people from that world take to Twitter to tell us how to think and act. Like it or not, that's a fact. Tran was a pretty awful part of TLJ, bit what happened to her is wrong, but there is a role Hollywood played in the degeneration of civility. Not as much as Washington, but still.
fig96
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Enough people from that world take to Twitter to tell us how to think and act. Like it or not, that's a fact. Tran was a pretty awful part of TLJ, bit what happened to her is wrong, but there is a role Hollywood played in the degeneration of civility. Not as much as Washington, but still.
Dude, give me a break.

Someone on Twitter "told you" how to act? So ignore them. Don't read what they said. Not hard.

Now go ignore thousands of people attacking you personally on every social media channel. Not even kind of the same thing.
AgMarauder04
AG
fig96 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Dude, give me a break.

Someone on Twitter "told you" how to act? So ignore them. Don't read what they said. Not hard.

Now go ignore thousands of people attacking you personally on every social media channel. Not even kind of the same thing.

You're right Hollywood is the victim. They are all wonderful people who are what we should all aspire to be like. How could I dare question their magnificence?

Please forgive my ignorance.
bearamedic99
AG
Kelly Marie Tran =/= Hollywood. Hope that helps.

What happened to her is/was wrong.
The Collective
AG
I feel bad for even responding at this point; I'm mostly sick of the discussion.
Flashdiaz
AG
we need some relevant Star Wars news to save this thread....

Help us Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.
Ag Since 83
AG
Thrawn: Alliances is out

About 70 pages in and enjoying the mix of timelines
AgMarauder04
AG
What's it about? What's the era?
AliasMan02
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Thrawn: Alliances is out

About 70 pages in and enjoying the mix of timelines

Same. Can confirm it does include the Thrawn/Anakin storyline that was originally slated for TCW.

It takes place both after Ahsoka leaves the Order, and before the last season of Rebels (so a few years BBY).
Ag Since 83
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

What's it about? What's the era?
As Alias says, it jumps between the Clone Wars era and the Rebels era. If you have read Thrawn, they do mention Eli's disappearance from the fleet, and given where the novel takes place, I'm wondering if he is going to show up later in the book.

The planet where a lot of the action is set is the basis for the park at Disney. So far it seems like a fitting Star Wars frontier planet to fit the space western vibe (without being another desert planet)
Pro Ag
AG
Thank you sir!
fig96
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

fig96 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Dude, give me a break.

You're right Hollywood is the victim. They are all wonderful people who are what we should all aspire to be like. How could I dare question their magnificence?

Please forgive my ignorance.
Not even remotely what I said or even implied, but whatever. You make it really easy to ignore your opinion when you post comments like this.
AgMarauder04
AG
And I 100% agree it was awful
First Page Last Page
Page 750 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.