Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,599 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
So are there any books out yet that are Disney Canon between episode 6 and 7?
No, material to bridge the gap will hit in September. Right now they seem to be keen on doing comics between ANH and ESB though.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm curious where they are going with Rebels. Can only assume he isn't alive when Luke arrives on the scene. Great show... really enjoyed it with my kids.
jabberwalkie09
AG
@TCTTS

Mark Hamill is doing a panel right now with James Arnold Taylor. They were talking about the trailer just now and the voice over dialogue. Hamill said he recorded the dialogue for the trailer and couldn't tell if they pulled it from ROTJ or used the recorded dialogue. He asked JJ about which they used, and JJ said both. The recently recorded was used apparently as a reverb for the trailer, with the pulled dialogue from ROTJ being what you hear most prominently.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Rebels Season 2 will premier this summer. The Clones in the trailer for S2 are Rex, Wolffe, and Gregor.

The season 2 premier was screened tonight as well at Celebration, and I have heard a lot about it already from guys on forums but I don't want to post anything about it. All I will say right now is that things will be changing, and that the tone sounds like it will definitely be more akin to ESB.
fig96
AG
I need to finish TCW, I'm about 2/3 through S5 and some of the droid episodes have dragged on a but. Sounds like it ended really strong though.

Is Rebels worth watching?
Ag Since 83
AG
I saw basically from the middle of TCW to when it went off TV (haven't seen the Netflix episodes yet), and I am meaning to watch it all. I liked it overall, but definitely it depended on who the episode centered on. I remember thinking that the Anakin in TCW would have made the prequels much better.

Rebels is enjoyable overall. I really liked the Lando episode.mjust keep in mind its a Disney XD show and adjust your expectations for what the target audience is.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I need to finish TCW, I'm about 2/3 through S5 and some of the droid episodes have dragged on a but. Sounds like it ended really strong though.

Is Rebels worth watching?
I think it is as I enjoy the SWU as a whole. The first season has some slow/bad episodes much like TCW had some cringe worthy episodes at times (the Gascon/Droids arc you mentioned). The show really starts to pick up steam towards the middle of the season. The finale for season one is probably right up there with some of the best episodes from TCW, with the majority of episodes after the half way point (Idiot's Array being the exception IMO) not that far behind.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
@TCTTS

Mark Hamill is doing a panel right now with James Arnold Taylor. They were talking about the trailer just now and the voice over dialogue. Hamill said he recorded the dialogue for the trailer and couldn't tell if they pulled it from ROTJ or used the recorded dialogue. He asked JJ about which they used, and JJ said both. The recently recorded was used apparently as a reverb for the trailer, with the pulled dialogue from ROTJ being what you hear most prominently.

Nice. Thanks for the heads up.
AliasMan02
AG
nm
AliasMan02
AG
I was looking for somewhere to watch Star Wars Rebels, waiting for it to show up on Netflix, but it never occurred to me to check Disney's website.

http://watchdisneyxd.go.com/

I can watch by logging in with my Dish subscriber info. Just FYI.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'm curious where they are going with Rebels. Can only assume he isn't alive when Luke arrives on the scene. Great show... really enjoyed it with my kids.
I've been thinking about how to respond to this honestly. Filoni has a history of pulling things from the EU/Legends to canonize them. Given that knowledge, I think that it would be prudent to mention that in the old EU there were some Jedi that lived into the time period of the OT from what I have read IIRC. In fact in the old EU one of Bail's ideas was to get Jedi on his side to take on the Empire.

The whole idea of Jedi living into the era of the OT, or involved in the rebellion at all, (keep in mind Rebels is only set a few years prior to ANH) is a fairly polarizing idea apparently. So much so that in the TV forum at theforce.net, Filoni's comments after the finale last season prompted a 13 page discussion of the topic. I think that this will be probably the biggest challenge that Story Group will have to face regarding the show.

Personally, I'm of the stance that Kenobi and Yoda both told Luke the "truth" in "a certain point of view" that given how canon is now flowing with Ahsoka being in Rebels, as well as Kanan and Ezra, that it kind of makes harder for me to take what Yoda said to Luke in ROTJ at face value. So IMO, it would be perfectly acceptable for other force users or Jedi to survive into the OT. What happens with the characters though is anyone's guess. This isn't like TCW where we knew some of them would show up in ROTS.

With that in mind, there is no doubt in my mind that Luke was the only Jedi capable that could have faced Vader and either defeated him or turned him back from the darkside.
redline248
AG
quote:
Personally, I'm of the stance that Kenobi and Yoda both told Luke the "truth" in "a certain point of view" that given how canon is now flowing with Ahsoka being in Rebels, as well as Kanan and Ezra, that it kind of makes harder for me to take what Yoda said to Luke in ROTJ at face value.
Based on The Clone Wars and now Rebels, would you agree those 2 are the only ones to survive Order 66? Technically, Asohka isn't even a Jedi, and I don't think we can quite count Ezra yet, although he is well on his way. Kanan is the one that causes the real problem with Yoda's remark in ROTJ. I doubt Kanan could have been so instrumental in getting the rebellion off the ground without Yoda knowing about it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Personally, I'm of the stance that Kenobi and Yoda both told Luke the "truth" in "a certain point of view" that given how canon is now flowing with Ahsoka being in Rebels, as well as Kanan and Ezra, that it kind of makes harder for me to take what Yoda said to Luke in ROTJ at face value.
Based on The Clone Wars and now Rebels, would you agree those 2 are the only ones to survive Order 66? Technically, Asohka isn't even a Jedi, and I don't think we can quite count Ezra yet, although he is well on his way. Kanan is the one that causes the real problem with Yoda's remark in ROTJ. I doubt Kanan could have been so instrumental in getting the rebellion off the ground without Yoda knowing about it.
I think that is a complex question, because I think that there were other Jedi that survived Order 66 initially but overtime up to Rebels may have met their fate at the hand of an Inquisitor (Luminara) or even Vader himself. I think that they are setting it up for us to see other Jedi (padawans, younglings, or even a knight or two) in the series though, but it remains to be see if they have completely set aside the Jedi ways to survive or if they took the Ahsoka route and became part of the Rebellion. Remember that in AOTC I think it was mentioned that the Jedi Order was something like 10,000 strong. Even if we take into account some attrition over the war, that is still a lot of Jedi to deal with. Both Yoda and Kenobi survived it as well, so I think it is within the realm of possibility that others weren't around clones when the order was issued or others that escaped their fate somehow.

I want to say that Filoni has said that had TCW made to to the events of Order 66 there was an arc planned dealing with the exploits of Rex and Ahsoka. Given how we now know that both of those characters will be in season two of Rebels, I think it is very possible that we may see some Jedi they saved during that time. Some of the younglings from the season five arc in TCW seem like some great candidates for this.

You are right, and I agree, that Ahsoka isn't technically a Jedi anymore but many people will still continue to consider her as such. Most people identify the lightside of the force with the Jedi with no real distinction. Ahsoka resurfacing with her white lightsabers and Filoni making a point to distinguish her as being non-aligned is an example of this as people still consider her a Jedi as she was trained as one. Kanan up until Rebels had pretty much cast aside the Jedi way, so he is making his way pack onto that path. Ezra, while the age of a padawan, is very much at the equivalent skill of a youngling from TCW. Both Kanan and Ezra will mature as the series progresses, but it remains unclear how far they both will.

I doubt that Kanan could have been instrumental in helping start the rebellion. The talent pool we have seen that would have been capable of that other than Ahsoka is either in hiding (Kenobi or Yoda) or most likely dead.

Interesting thing is that at the panel today, one of the questions asked was how many trials Kanan had completed to become a Jedi Knight. Freddie admitted he isn't too sure himself, but he did talk to Pablo Hidalgo about it and its somewhere around one or two trials completed. In the mythology of SW there is what like five?

With all this said though, TCW really setup this whole little discussion by introducing different force using sects (which in all honesty only makes sense) with the Night Brothers (ex. Maul and Savage) and Night Sisters (ex. Ventress). Because of those two sects existing in canon through TCW, I am more open to other force user sects existing beyond the major two Jedi and Sith. Ahsoka could essentially be a derivation of the Jedi and a new sect of force user. IIRC in the EU there were other Jedi sects. I wouldn't want the story to go towards focusing on this though, but knowing that there are variations on the theme is something that I am open to.
redline248
AG
I doubt the new movies will want to complicate things too much by introducing other force using groups, but you never know.
Knife_Party
I think there were definitely other Jedi or padawans that survived Order 66. We've heard referenced at least once that Vader hunted down and destroyed the Jedi. I don't think it's a stretch that this happens at least partly during the Rebels TV show.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I doubt the new movies will want to complicate things too much by introducing other force using groups, but you never know.

Right. I don't think the main movies will touch anything outside of the norm (stuff established in the OT). I doubt they even pull much stuff from the prequels (adios medichloreans). But, we do have new spinoff movies coming... I think those are fair game to hit on some of these fringe ideas. They can be more fanboy-ish.

In fact, that could be a perfect for place for somebody like Ezra (Rebeles) to show up. Makes perfect sense for him to never become a Jedi, but he survives and shows up as an older man with Jedi powers, his old lightsaber, and an agenda of his own.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's Mark Hamill talking about the voiceover:
Ag Since 83
AG
One day left, one autograph left to get (Carrie), plus maybe picking up some stuff in the exhibit hall if lines aren't bad
Aggie_Journalist
AG
My hope is after a few seasons of Rebels - and right before the original trilogy - we'll get a season finale where Kanan is captured by the empire, frozen in carbonite and hidden away on some moon somewhere. Ezra will then spend the whole rebellion hunting for Kanan to set him free and the next season will open with Ezra pulling off the rescue - right after RotJ. Then they'd be a bit closer in age, presenting some interesting new dynamics, and they'd spend several episodes reuniting the crew. The show could then help bridge the gap between Ep 6 and 7 without having to answer the question "Where were the Jedi during the original trilogy?" And flashbacks could show what the others were up to, possibly placing them at major events or battles.

In that little personal dream scenario, Ahsoka either dies or again wanders off on her own path until after RotJ as well.
double aught
AG
quote:
One day left, one autograph left to get (Carrie), plus maybe picking up some stuff in the exhibit hall if lines aren't bad
What's been the best part so far?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have you gotten any pictures with the cast?
Ag Since 83
AG
The jJ panel hands down. There's something magical about camping out for 15 hours and then the event living up to, maybe exceeding, the hype. The only other time I put that much effort into attending something was my first year of grad school when I camped out for the basketball game that ended in The Shot.

Yesterday, meeting Mark Hamill, having him write "may the Force be with you" on my poster, and shaking his hand is probably a close 2nd. Now I can joke about shaking Luke Skywalker's cyborg right hand.

I barely missed the queue for his panel last night, but used the time instead to shop for my friend who was supposed to come with me but had to cancel for work. And I bought myself a sock Wookiee, which is just as random as it sounds.
Ag Since 83
AG
No cast photos, as they aren't allowing photos at the headliner tables and I'm not gonna pay for them (I'll pay for autographs but not photos)

As a fan of Zahn's EU work, I also picked up a lithograph at the art show that has both Thrawn and Mara on it
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
My hope is after a few seasons of Rebels - and right before the original trilogy - we'll get a season finale where Kanan is captured by the empire, frozen in carbonite and hidden away on some moon somewhere. Ezra will then spend the whole rebellion hunting for Kanan to set him free and the next season will open with Ezra pulling off the rescue - right after RotJ. Then they'd be a bit closer in age, presenting some interesting new dynamics, and they'd spend several episodes reuniting the crew. The show could then help bridge the gap between Ep 6 and 7 without having to answer the question "Where were the Jedi during the original trilogy?" And flashbacks could show what the others were up to, possibly placing them at major events or battles.

In that little personal dream scenario, Ahsoka either dies or again wanders off on her own path until after RotJ as well.
TCTTS
AG
They just showed the ROGUE ONE teaser!
TCTTS
AG
Gareth Edwards, along with Josh Trank - directors of the next to "anthology" films (official name for the spin-offs) - are doing a panel right now. Unfortunately, it's not being streamed...

Devin Faraci @devincf
ROGUE ONE footage opens with Obi Wan talking about the Jedi. Pan along cr**** forested river canyon. Pan up to huge Death Star in the sky.
TCTTS
AG
Confirming it's about stealing the plans to the Death Star.
TCTTS
AG
Devin Faraci @devincf
ROGUE ONE is about the reality of war, the moral grey area between the good and bad guys.
TCTTS
AG
Eric Vespe @EricVespe
Edwards says that the absence of the Jedi is very much felt in this film. It's very much about people without powers being heroes
Saxsoon
AG
The important question though, Alec guiness slice from original movies or Ewan McGregor?
TCTTS
AG
Peter Sciretta @slashfilm
Gareth says the film follows a group without magical powers who have to somehow bring hope to the whole galaxy.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
The important question though, Alec guiness slice from original movies or Ewan McGregor?

Just Obi-Wan Vvoice over in the trailer. No Obi-Wan in the movie, from what I understand.
TCTTS
AG
Rogue One takes place in an era where there are almost no Jedi. The absence of the Jedi hangs over the whole film.
Saxsoon
AG
But is the voice over from the original movie or is it newly recorded for the teaser?
TCTTS
AG
Longline confirms @GermainLussier's scoop: Rogue One follows A rogue resistance of rebel fighters unite to steal the Death Star plans
First Page Last Page
Page 122 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.