Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,689 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
My view on spoilers... I watched the Lord of the Rings the first time thinking "This is the movie based on those nerd books". I was blown away. Started reading the books. Watched 2 Towers and was blown away again. Before Return of the King came out, I had caught up reading the books. I debated on if I should read the book before watching the movie. I loved the 1st two so much I didnt want the last one spoiled. I ended up reading the book before I saw the movie. Loved it just as much. Didn't matter that I knew the plot... A great movie was not undone by anything I had read.

My view exactly. If it's good, it's good. Doesn't matter what I do or don't know going in.

That's a pretty bad comparison. You were still first introduced to RotK in a story form. Not just that, but by reading the original book. Imagine if instead of reading or watching RotK as your first experience with that material, someone walked up and said *LOTR spoilers* When Frodo gets to Mount Doom, he succumbs to the ring and puts it on, then Gollum attacks and takes the ring only to lose his balance and fall in the lava, destroying the ring and Sauron with it!

You might think it sounds kind of cool, but it won't be nearly as enjoyable as if you first crossed that moment in the book or in the theater.

That said, sensitivity to spoilers definitely varies on an individual basis.

The point I was making... I enjoyed the movie just as much, if not more so, having read the book first (In comparison to the first two movies when I hadn't read the books). I get your point... Somebody saying "Vader is Luke's father" isn't cool and I agree. But with the current spoilers it's a slow feed and we are slowly piecing together fact from fiction. It very much feels like slowly reading the book before the movie. I personally think I'll have more overall enjoyment getting excited about rumors for months as opposed to 2 hours of unspoiled movie magic. That's why I compare it to LOTR... Knowing the outcome ahead of time and pondering it didn't take away from the movie experience at all.

But I'm all for the non spoiler people. If you can refrain and be strong the go for it. I wouldn't dare leak what I know.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I personally think I'll have more overall enjoyment getting excited about rumors for months as opposed to 2 hours of unspoiled movie magic.

Yeah, I think that sums it up for me perfectly as well. I love the months of build up and trying to figure things out. It prolongs the enjoyment of the property for me as a whole.
Gig-Em2003
AG
quote:
Just in case some of y'all haven't recognized it. An upside-down Super Star Destroyer.

For scale. (Regular Star Destroyer on left, the crashed ship we see in the opening desert shot.)

Pretty sweet shot in the trailer, minus the annoying Battlestar Galactica-esque quick zoom in.
Ag Since 83
AG
Got Mayhew, Baker, and Williams autographs today, and walked the exhibit hall. Since there is some interest in Battlefront, they had a place where you could put on an X wing flight suit and sit in a cockpit, and it looked like they would green screen you into the game trailer
Ag Since 83
AG
Stupid iPad double posts. Probably should have brought my laptop
VanZandt92
quote:
As the saying goes, to each his own. I've gotten to the point where I want to know as little as possible for movies I'm really excited to see.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
No link to the Battlefront trailer yet?

Epic.

Jeez, makes you wonder where the Rebellion's Y-Wings were at Hoth!
InnerCityAg
quote:
Anthony Daniels has always been a good ambassador for the franchise as well. He hosts live concert events, does conventions, etc. Also did Clone Wars and was in the radio dramas.

We saw Anthony Daniels host a Star Wars symphony event at tbe Woodlands a year or two ago.
InnerCityAg
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I will say, though, these trailers have me feeling way more jacked up than I remember feeling for any of the promo material leading up TPM.
Only thing remotely close was Darth Maul igniting the double lightsaber

Something that never should have been in a trailer. I'm still mad about it.
LOL, yeah, Lucas sort of blew his load early on that one. Definitely did the job, but that was indeed the money shot and it was used in a trailer!

Can't say it didn't work though in terms of marketing and merchandise... I remember wanting some of the star wars toys to display on my desk (was in college at the time). I wanted Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Maul so they could be in a fighting pose.... pft, Maul was sold out everywhere. Took me weeks to finally find one that had been opened and returned taped up on the shelf. They made so much friggin money months before the movie even opened!
I was talking with a friend yesterday and pulled up the original TPM teaser/trailer, and it's pretty amazing how much they actually showed.

Damn, you're right. That trailer is better than the movie.
InnerCityAg
quote:
quote:
quote:
For those curious, the book title that will lead into TFA is called, appropriately I might add, "Aftermath."
When do the graphic novels come out?
The comics for events post ANH are already in progress. There are also some other mini-series going on though. Lando just got his own comic mini-series which was announced yesterday I think. There is a comic series or novel (not sure which) coming in September as well, but I haven't read much about that honestly.

I'm not a comic book guy, but I did purchase edition 1 of "Star Wars" and edition 1 of "Darth Vader".
InnerCityAg
quote:
I've never bought or read a SW EU novel. Will be reading Aftermath for sure.

A lot of the EU stuff is still cool. 2 of my favorites are Tales From Mos Eisly Cantina and Tales from Jabbas Palace
InnerCityAg
quote:

Epic.

I saw this earlier. Will be buying.
InnerCityAg
quote:
quote:

Epic.

I saw it but confused by it. What type of game play is it? FPS? TPS?

LOL who cares?
InnerCityAg
quote:
Why wait? I can remember watching Star Wars as early as 4 with my brothers... probably earlier. Kids will view movies on their own level, so as they get older it's like watching a different movie. That's how Star Wars was for me.

This
InnerCityAg
quote:
quote:
quote:
My view on spoilers... I watched the Lord of the Rings the first time thinking "This is the movie based on those nerd books". I was blown away. Started reading the books. Watched 2 Towers and was blown away again. Before Return of the King came out, I had caught up reading the books. I debated on if I should read the book before watching the movie. I loved the 1st two so much I didnt want the last one spoiled. I ended up reading the book before I saw the movie. Loved it just as much. Didn't matter that I knew the plot... A great movie was not undone by anything I had read.

My view exactly. If it's good, it's good. Doesn't matter what I do or don't know going in.

That's a pretty bad comparison. You were still first introduced to RotK in a story form. Not just that, but by reading the original book. Imagine if instead of reading or watching RotK as your first experience with that material, someone walked up and said *LOTR spoilers* When Frodo gets to Mount Doom, he succumbs to the ring and puts it on, then Gollum attacks and takes the ring only to lose his balance and fall in the lava, destroying the ring and Sauron with it!

You might think it sounds kind of cool, but it won't be nearly as enjoyable as if you first crossed that moment in the book or in the theater.

**** you. I haven't read or watched the 3rd one. Just bought the blu ray pack with all 3 movies. Damn
The Collective
SUPAGGIE
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

**** you. I haven't read or watched the 3rd one. Just bought the blu ray pack with all 3 movies. Damn

Lulz. He just saved you three long hours.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
For those curious, the book title that will lead into TFA is called, appropriately I might add, "Aftermath."
When do the graphic novels come out?
The comics for events post ANH are already in progress. There are also some other mini-series going on though. Lando just got his own comic mini-series which was announced yesterday I think. There is a comic series or novel (not sure which) coming in September as well, but I haven't read much about that honestly.

I'm not a comic book guy, but I did purchase edition 1 of "Star Wars" and edition 1 of "Darth Vader".

You and about a million other people. Did you get any variant covers? No live for Leia no 1?
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:

A lot of the EU stuff is still cool. 2 of my favorites are Tales From Mos Eisly Cantina and Tales from Jabbas Palace

Gagree
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gagree

Solid Freudian slip
AMW2010
AG
After reading this thread, I watched the clone wars the gathering and the episode after it on netflix last night... Can anyone else recommend an episode where they tll more about building their light sabers? That was pretty cool... I also watched the episode where pre vizusa takes over with the sith and he has the black saber, pretty sweet... And dearth maul is still alive?!? I'm confused
jeffk
AG
Do any of the streaming sites have the Clone Wars series for free? I know Prime doesn't.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Do any of the streaming sites have the Clone Wars series for free? I know Prime doesn't.

It's on Netflix. Not sure it's anywhere else.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
After reading this thread, I watched the clone wars the gathering and the episode after it on netflix last night... Can anyone else recommend an episode where they tll more about building their light sabers? That was pretty cool... I also watched the episode where pre vizusa takes over with the sith and he has the black saber, pretty sweet... And dearth maul is still alive?!? I'm confused
I don't think they really touch on the construction of the lightsabers again in TCW or in canon anywhere again. Mandalore appears a few times (I think three) in TCW.

The final Mandalore arc deals with, without giving too much away, a change of political leadership.

Yeah... Maul is still alive. Seemingly impossible right? I still don't really jive with the explanation they gave, but I think that his arc in TCW was dealt with well. Maul also had his own comic series here not to long ago that I think wrapped up called "Son of Dathomir."

If you haven't watched TCW, I recommend it. The series starts off with you at times cringing at episodes, but gets progressively better, and darker. By the time you watch Yoda's arc in Season 6, I felt that it ended in a good place and didn't need to run all the way up to ROTS.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Star Wars Rebels Season 2 trailer dropped.

Lord Vader makes an appearance. And all I have to say is.....

REX LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: YouTube Link for those that don't want to use Facebook.
AMW2010
AG
Watched 3 episodes last night and I thought they were pretty solid, will be watching more... And they went by so quick
redline248
AG
Just don't give up once you hit the Jar Jar or droid centric episodes.
AMW2010
AG
Celebration just released a trailer for Star Wars rebels
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Star Wars Rebels Season 2 trailer dropped.

Lord Vader makes an appearance. And all I have to say is.....

REX LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: YouTube Link for those that don't want to use Facebook.

HOLY.
jabberwalkie09
AG
For those who watched TCW, I am sure many of you are aware of the Utapu arc ahving been released in its unfinished state to the Star Wars YouTube page. This year at Celebration they screened the Bad Batch arc yesterday, one of the prominent characters in that arc (to avoid major spoilers if it ends up getting released) is Rex. When it was let out of the bag that they were going to screen the episode and that Rex was going to be in it and then later Fort Anaxes would also make an appearance in the arc, I theorized on another forume that it would be a nice way to do a bit of a round about introduction of Rex into Rebels.

From what I have read regarding the rest of the unfinished arcs for TCW, they may not end up being released as some of the arcs may conflict with the direction that story group wants to go or possible spin off films. Filoni also said that episodes with temporary voices or music will not be released in that state.
maca1028
So are we going to get a poster release this weekend or have I already missed that?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
So are we going to get a poster release this weekend or have I already missed that?

These two images have been floating around Celebration, but neither have been officially acknowledged/released yet. Maybe tomorrow we'll get something new / an official word?

AMW2010
AG
I don't have kids, but this is funny.

Ag Since 83
AG
Went to a panel today about the production process with people from Rebels. Pretty cool, including a description of their short notice addition of the Darth Vader clip to the initial movie for ABC
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So are there any books out yet that are Disney Canon between episode 6 and 7?
First Page Last Page
Page 121 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.