Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,382 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Love that this is going viral. Possibly the start of a new meme. (And my reddit post was linked, woo hoo!)

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/4/17/8440637/the-mcconaissance-will-be-memed
Brian did you make it?
I wish! I watched in on youtube very shortly after it was posted, had a few hundred views maybe. Posted it on reddit and went to bed. Woke up and it had absolutely blown up.

It's such a brilliant video. The editing is superbly done.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
For those curious, the book title that will lead into TFA is called, appropriately I might add, "Aftermath."
When do the graphic novels come out?
The comics for events post ANH are already in progress. There are also some other mini-series going on though. Lando just got his own comic mini-series which was announced yesterday I think. There is a comic series or novel (not sure which) coming in September as well, but I haven't read much about that honestly.
How many issues have been released, and are they any good?

Haven't read yet, but they are getting mixed reviews, like pretty much all Star Wars comics. I've heard them described as being worth reading.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Even the motorsports team Oreca is getting in on the action as fans.

Sorry I couldn't get the picture to link to the thread for some reason.....
redline248
AG

I did it the old fashioned way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Love that this is going viral. Possibly the start of a new meme. (And my reddit post was linked, woo hoo!)

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/4/17/8440637/the-mcconaissance-will-be-memed
Brian did you make it?

That's ALL OVER Twitter, and on just about every site I go to. Please tell me that was actually you, Brian...
Crazy, it really is everywhere. Even Time posted it. Very cool.
Saxsoon
AG
Did you make it?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
How many issues have been released, and are they any good?

Haven't read yet, but they are getting mixed reviews, like pretty much all Star Wars comics. I've heard them described as being worth reading.
Pretty much what I have read as well. I wouldn't say that they are required reading, but I think that most fans will find them worth reading. I say that because I think that the casual viewer won't even have a cursory knowledge of the comics and I don't think it will impact the overall story of the saga for them at all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nope. Check the first post on this page.
Stive
AG
So my daughter is 8 years old and has never seen any of the Star Wars Movies. She loves adventure movies, a little bit of sci-fi, etc., and I've seen her watch some of the Star Wars cartoons on cartoon/Nick (whatever they're on) from time to time.

I'm thinking she's ready to watch the movies now, and I'd like to slowly introduce them to her between now and Christmas so that she and I can go see the new one when it comes out.

What do you guys think.....monthly between now and then? Just show the originals and not the newer three? Show her all 6? I'm kind of leaning towards all 6 because I don't think she'll be as critical of them as I was as a young adult. I thought 3 was average but was bored senseless by 1 and 2, but for an 8 year old, it might be decent entertainment.

Thoughts?

VanZandt92
My six year old girl has seen 1 and ANH. No problems, and we're very reluctant to let our kids see questionable material. She loved them.
VanZandt92
I think my son saw all six when he was maybe 9. He loves them.
lunchbox
My kids and I will watch ANH, TESB and RoTJ a couple of times this summer. It will be the first time for my 6yo daughter.

I battled internally about the order of watching the 6 movies, but then I found out the big reveal of TESB has been spoiled by the umpteen Lego SW games....and I decided to put my foot down and declare movies 1-3 don't exist.

We will strictly be a 4-X family.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
My kids and I will watch ANH, TESB and RoTJ a couple of times this summer. It will be the first time for my 6yo daughter.

I battled internally about the order of watching the 6 movies, but then I found out the big reveal of TESB has been spoiled by the umpteen Lego SW games....and I decided to put my foot down and declare movies 1-3 don't exist.

We will strictly be a 4-X family.
Knife_Party
Imo, 1-3 will probably been completely unnecessary to have seen for 7 to make sense so 4-7 should prepare them well. God knows 4-7 don't make more sense after having seen 1-3.
Saxsoon
AG
My take is that it is still a story told in the Star Wars Universe. I plan on watching all of them again soon and if I ever have kids some day I will show them all of the movies. Start with the originals of course, then prequels, then this new set of movies coming out.
The Collective
AG
Why wait? I can remember watching Star Wars as early as 4 with my brothers... probably earlier. Kids will view movies on their own level, so as they get older it's like watching a different movie. That's how Star Wars was for me.
Saxsoon
AG
On Star Wars Battlefront stolen from Neogaf

quote:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1030897

quote:
quote:AP appears to have broken an embargo on Battlefront.

quote:
quote:

"Battlefront" will focus on frenzied shoot-outs between up to 40 players portraying Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire forces. In a

demonstration of the game's multiplayer mode, a team of jetpack-equipped
rebels were shown carving their way through the woodsy Endor while
Stormtroopers charged at them on foot, on speeders and within walkers,
including a hulking AT-AT war machine.

Other locales teased in game footage included the snowy Hoth, sandy Tatooine and gooey Sullust, a lava-spewing planet referenced in
1983's

"Return of the Jedi," as well as many "Star Wars" games and novels, but
rarely ever seen. "Battlefront" won't solely be centered on expendable
ground troops. The game will reward sharpshooters with the ability to
embody such iconic characters as bounty hunter Boba Fett and Sith baddie
Darth Vader on the battlefield.

"You can storm in as the Dark Lord himself," said "Battlefront" design director Niklas Fegraeus. "You can wield a lightsaber. You can

Force choke the rebel scum, which is fun. Basically, you are the boss of
the battle. This means that you, as Vader, can lead your team to
victory if you play well."

The action will also take to the skies with players engaging in dogfights with TIE Fighters, X-wings and the Millennium Falcon, though

the developers were coy about how battles would alternate between ground
and air combat.

"We wanted it to feel authentic to this universe," said "Battlefront" executive producer Patrick Bach. "You can get into these
vehicles, from

speeder bikes to X-wings, TIE fighters, AT-STs, AT-ATs. There's a wide
range of vehicles that we wanted to realize. The difficulty with a game
is that they need to be balanced with the troops on the ground."

"Battlefront" will also include a free downloadable level available two weeks before "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" opens in
theaters Dec.

18. It's set on Jakku, the battle-scarred desert planet glimpsed in
"Force Awakens" teasers. The expansion, dubbed "Battle of Jakku," will
explore the moment following "Return of the Jedi" when the New Republic
confronted Imperial holdouts on the previously unseen Outer Rim enclave.

"You never get to see it in the new movie, so it was this brilliant opportunity to recreate the Battle of Jakku, which you only
see the

remnants of in the movie," said Bach. "In the game, you actually get to
play the Battle of Jakku. It's the same place from the new movie but 30
years earlier."

Additional Info:
-Has two player splitscreen
-It sounds like there isn't a traditional campaign and something more akin to spec-ops from CoD
-Modes vary from 8 players to 40 players
-You can toggle between first and third person
-There's flyable vehicles but no space battles
-The 7 minute demo was on PS4, but there's no mention of the forthcoming trailer platform

I like the fact that they are using the Gungan force shield. Adds some variety. Also interesting that you can enter battle as Fett or
Vader.

fig96
AG
As far as platform, probably worth mentioning that they gave away a few PS4's with codes for the game at the end of their talk at Celebration.
TCTTS
AG
Ok, Dave at Latino Review just released his breakdown of the events/trailer yesterday, and things are SO MUCH clearer now. THIS is the analysis I was waiting for. There are some minor spoilers here, touching on the when the Battle of Jakku likely takes place (outside of The Force Awakens), Rey's true purpose (along with another significant detail about her character we FINALLY now have clarity on), and the basic order of events shown in the trailer, as they pertain to the movie itself. This is really good stuff. Again, somewhat spoilery, but not overtly so; nothing that's not from the first 30 minutes of the movie.

Regardless, this is going to be so damn good...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-awoke
redline248
AG
Honest question: Does knowing about a new character's purpose/mission/background before the movie not lessen the value of seeing it in the movie for you?
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Honest question: Does knowing about a new character's purpose/mission/background before the movie not lessen the value of seeing it in the movie for you?
no sh t! i dont care to spoil thus before the movie. i wanna go in the theater with very little info so i avoid industry blogs.
VanZandt92
quote:

Yeah it Jacks me up.
Saxsoon
AG
Tc battlefront is going to have DLc that comes out two weeks before TFA. It is a battle that takes place thirty years earlier. I believe going forward Disney so making sure all media is canon
VanZandt92
Elementary age kids love 1 through 3. Let them enjoy life.
MASAXET
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I will say, though, these trailers have me feeling way more jacked up than I remember feeling for any of the promo material leading up TPM.
Only thing remotely close was Darth Maul igniting the double lightsaber

Something that never should have been in a trailer. I'm still mad about it.
LOL, yeah, Lucas sort of blew his load early on that one. Definitely did the job, but that was indeed the money shot and it was used in a trailer!

Can't say it didn't work though in terms of marketing and merchandise... I remember wanting some of the star wars toys to display on my desk (was in college at the time). I wanted Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Maul so they could be in a fighting pose.... pft, Maul was sold out everywhere. Took me weeks to finally find one that had been opened and returned taped up on the shelf. They made so much friggin money months before the movie even opened!
I was talking with a friend yesterday and pulled up the original TPM teaser/trailer, and it's pretty amazing how much they actually showed.

wow all they needed to show is Liam dying and you didn't even have to watch TPM
WHOA, MAN! SPOILER ALERT!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TC reads scripts before watching movies regularly, so I doubt it.
TCTTS
AG
I can get just as much enjoyment from seeing HOW events I already know about are depicted/executed as I can from learning/seeing the events unfold for the first time. I never, ever like to know the ending of movies in advance, but if I know a specific action beat is coming next, or that some character is revealed to be someone else, more often than not, seeing HOW the filmmaker executes that exact sequence or reveal is just as thrilling to me. Plot, to me, isn't everything. The delivery/edits/effects/action/music/etc can be just as "surprising" as plot. I think people put way to much emphasis on what happens rather than HOW it happens.

For instance, I know the basic stories for all three main characters in the first act. But I have no idea how Abrams is going to edit/present each of those stories and intercut between them. I know about a big reveal at the end of the first act, but I don't know how that reveal is going to go down. Yet, anticipating the how and details are just as exciting to me as the anticipating the plot itself, had I been 100% clueless.
YouBet
AG
I watched the trailer this morning while eating my breakfast. This is super gay but I literally cried tears of joy. I am Matthew!!!!
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
I can get just as much enjoyment from seeing HOW events I already know about are depicted/executed as I can from learning/seeing the events unfold for the first time. I never, ever like to know the ending of movies in advance, but if I know a specific action beat is coming next, or that some character is revealed to be someone else, more often than not, seeing HOW the filmmaker executes that exact sequence or reveal is just as thrilling to me. Plot, to me, isn't everything. The delivery/edits/effects/action/music/etc can be just as "surprising" as plot. I think people put way to much emphasis on what happens rather than HOW it happens.

For instance, I know the basic stories for all three main characters in the first act. But I have no idea how Abrams is going to edit/present each of those stories and intercut between them. I know about a big reveal at the end of the first act, but I don't know how that reveal is going to go down. Yet, anticipating the how and details are just as exciting to me as the anticipating the plot itself, had I been 100% clueless.

I am this way though there are situations in which I don't even mind knowing the end. I saw the twist for shutter Island which I had little interest in on a forum post and hauled my ass to the nearest theater because I wanted to see HOW it would roll out.

It is why I laugh at the game of thrones spoilerphobes. The only reason I started reading and watching game of thrones was because of the spoilers. If you could tell me today how the series will end I would wait patiently until it is delivered because I want to see the action play out. I am still doing that now but I am a little detached.
Ulrich
Looks like I might as well just take December off.
redline248
AG
As the saying goes, to each his own. I've gotten to the point where I want to know as little as possible for movies I'm really excited to see.
TCTTS
AG
WOW.

Not imploring anyone to jump over to the spoiler thread at all, but I just wanted to drop back in to say that I think a really cool aspect of the movie MIGHT have been cracked, and if so, holy crap. This could truly be an AMAZING movie. Like, way cooler than I ever imagined, and I've been sky high on this one from the beginning.

Anyway, just wanted to fan the flames a bit more by obviously not sharing the news, but sharing what the news could imply. Knowing what's likely in store, there's just no way this movie isn't the highest grossing movie of all time.
jr15aggie
AG
My view on spoilers... I watched the Lord of the Rings the first time thinking "This is the movie based on those nerd books". I was blown away. Started reading the books. Watched 2 Towers and was blown away again. Before Return of the King came out, I had caught up reading the books. I debated on if I should read the book before watching the movie. I loved the 1st two so much I didnt want the last one spoiled. I ended up reading the book before I saw the movie. Loved it just as much. Didn't matter that I knew the plot... A great movie was not undone by anything I had read.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
My view on spoilers... I watched the Lord of the Rings the first time thinking "This is the movie based on those nerd books". I was blown away. Started reading the books. Watched 2 Towers and was blown away again. Before Return of the King came out, I had caught up reading the books. I debated on if I should read the book before watching the movie. I loved the 1st two so much I didnt want the last one spoiled. I ended up reading the book before I saw the movie. Loved it just as much. Didn't matter that I knew the plot... A great movie was not undone by anything I had read.

My view exactly. If it's good, it's good. Doesn't matter what I do or don't know going in.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
quote:

My view exactly. If it's good, it's good. Doesn't matter what I do or don't know going in.

That's a pretty bad comparison. You were still first introduced to RotK in a story form. Not just that, but by reading the original book. Imagine if instead of reading or watching RotK as your first experience with that material, someone walked up and said *LOTR spoilers* When Frodo gets to Mount Doom, he succumbs to the ring and puts it on, then Gollum attacks and takes the ring only to lose his balance and fall in the lava, destroying the ring and Sauron with it!

You might think it sounds kind of cool, but it won't be nearly as enjoyable as if you first crossed that moment in the book or in the theater.

That said, sensitivity to spoilers definitely varies on an individual basis.
First Page Last Page
Page 120 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.