Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,329 Views | 43820 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by The Porkchop Express
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would imagine rogue one would be in a similar time frame to rebels
jeffk
AG
So I guess everyone's cool with the fact that the Force = magic now?
TCTTS
AG
Peter Sciretta @slashfilm
The Star Wars stand alone films have a logo treatment with STar Wars in little type on the top, Rogue One in big, and then Anthology below
TCTTS
AG
Eric Vespe @EricVespe
Zero Dark Thirty DoP will shoot Rogue One. Doug Chang one of the production designers

Now THAT is cool.
Saxsoon
AG
I like that they are calling it an anthology in the title. It just adds something to the title without making it necessarily lesser than the main movies but still different
Knife_Party
Anthology? Wonder what that means.
TCTTS
AG
Eric Vespe @EricVespe
Felicity Jones will play a rebel soldier, says Edwards. He also said she dropped everything to do this movie because she's a huge SW fan.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Eric Vespe @EricVespe
Zero Dark Thirty DoP will shoot Rogue One. Doug Chang one of the production designers

Now THAT is cool.

Damn they will capture the reality of war then
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Eric Vespe @EricVespe
Rogue One has VFX guy who worked on Saving Private Ryan. "You're not kidding about this being a war picture." "It is called Star WARS."
Saxsoon
AG
That title treatment is gorgeous. Also I can see the initial comparisons made to halo in that one shot
TCTTS
AG
Better title shot. LOVE the look...

AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Anthology? Wonder what that means.
I imagine it's literally an anthology: unrelated stories told with some common elements/themes. One-offs that take place in the Star Wars universe.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Eric Vespe @EricVespe
Rogue One has VFX guy who worked on Saving Private Ryan. "You're not kidding about this being a war picture." "It is called Star WARS."
Trying to think of a movie that really captured the seriousness of conventional war in a sci-fi setting, and can't really think of one.
TCTTS
AG
Film Divider @FilmDivider
Gareth Edwards says "Star Wars was basically very black and white. Our movie is grey." He's presumably talking about morality and ethics.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
Eric Vespe @EricVespe
Trying to think of a movie that really captured the seriousness of conventional war in a sci-fi setting, and can't really think of one.

There were aspects of edge of tomorrow that I thought fit that criteria just not the WHOLE movie
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I would imagine rogue one would be in a similar time frame to rebels
Agree, but I think that the movie will be closer to the events of ANH. I think it will take another season for Rebels to get close to that. Regardless, this will be a Celebration long remembered. We have seen the second teaser for TFA, the season two trailer for Rebels, and a teaser for Rogue One.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Battle Los Angeles?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Anthologies in literature generally have a common element (obviously that could be Star Wars), but would be really cool if the common theme was taking background stories from the OT & PT and fleshing them out into big movies - rebels stealing the Death Star plans obviously is something we hear about but never see on screen; obviously the big one would be Vader and Palps hunting down the Jedi (apart from what's been covered in Rebels), you could even throw Hayden Christensen a bone and let him play the Vader suit so he doesn't have to keep making movies with Nic Cage; A "how Boba Fett became a bad-ass" movie has obviously had a lot of traction, and you could have Vader in there - to set up the "no disintegrations" line from Empire; etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And I'm loving the look, I just hope it's doesn't veer too far into "serious" territory. I'm all for dark and gritty, but make it feel like Star Wars as well.

Was it a teaser or just stills?
TCTTS
AG
Peter Sciretta @slashfilm
"I couldn't sit in the cinema and watch someone else make this film" - Gareth Edwards after reading the one page treatment for Rogue One
TCTTS
AG
quote:
And I'm loving the look, I just hope it's doesn't veer too far into "serious" territory. I'm all for dark and gritty, but make it feel like Star Wars as well.

Was it a teaser or just stills?

It was an actual teaser, with footage/effects made specifically for the teaser/presentation. That said, sounds like it's going to be a Celebration thing only, but who knows.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Eric Vespe @EricVespe

There were aspects of edge of tomorrow that I thought fit that criteria just not the WHOLE movie

That was my first thought as well actually. The battle scenes felt pretty "real" and unchoreographed.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Anthologies in literature generally have a common element (obviously that could be Star Wars), but would be really cool if the common theme was taking background stories from the OT & PT and fleshing them out into big movies - rebels stealing the Death Star plans obviously is something we hear about but never see on screen; obviously the big one would be Vader and Palps hunting down the Jedi (apart from what's been covered in Rebels), you could even throw Hayden Christensen a bone and let him play the Vader suit so he doesn't have to keep making movies with Nic Cage; A "how Boba Fett became a bad-ass" movie has obviously had a lot of traction, and you could have Vader in there - to set up the "no disintegrations" line from Empire; etc.
This raises an interesting question. Will they dare to venture back into the time period of the PT to tell some stories that happened during/alongside the Clone Wars? Or is that era just too tainted by the prequels?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Everything I have heard and read indicates that Disney has little interest in going back to the PT era or even The Old Republic era at this time. I think that will change in time though. There were a LOT of people sad to see KOTOR no longer canon when everything got reorganized.
Saxsoon
AG
I don't think they will and not because of the prequels but because the cartoon has covered so much of that already.

I would love an obi wan film starring Ewan McGregor post rots
TCTTS
AG
Get it while it's still up!

https://www.facebook.com/starwarsincharacter/videos/970448536307022/
TCTTS
AG
Such a great, simple tease. Man, I am fired up for this movie.
jabberwalkie09
AG
For such a short and simple tease, you could feel some real tension in the last bit.
Saxsoon
AG
I was hoping that shot of the soldiers was in the teaser and just realized that was concept art
Knife_Party
I couldn't make out the details watching that on my phone, but did that teaser just show the death star in orbit over a jungle planet?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I don't think they will and not because of the prequels but because the cartoon has covered so much of that already.

I think a Dark Times movie is a no-brainer at some point. I don't think that Vader could carry a movie as the main character, but it would be a great way to re-purpose The Emperor's Hand (be that Mara Jade or whoever else) or a variation of the Starkiller arc as they hunt down Jedi in hiding. That's if they're willing to do a "bad guy" film, which they may not be.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I couldn't make out the details watching that on my phone, but did that teaser just show the death star in orbit over a jungle planet?

Yep.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Yep
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:

I'd just be interested in what Obi-Wan did on a daily basis after getting to Tatooine. Yoda was 880 years old by the time he hit Dagobah, Obi-Wan was still in his prime. Kinda hard to go from fighting a thousand droids and hour on 50 different planets to trying to decide what color moisture vaporator matches your drapes.
First Page Last Page
Page 123 of 1253

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.