Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,539 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I couldn't make out the details watching that on my phone, but did that teaser just show the death star in orbit over a jungle planet?

Yep.

Sweet.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't think they will and not because of the prequels but because the cartoon has covered so much of that already.

I would love an obi wan film starring Ewan McGregor post rots
I'd just be interested in what Obi-Wan did on a daily basis after getting to Tatooine. Yoda was 880 years old by the time he hit Dagobah, Obi-Wan was still in his prime. Kinda hard to go from fighting a thousand droids and hour on 50 different planets to trying to decide what color moisture vaporator matches your drapes.

I guarantee you this basic premise will be one of the anthology films.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Someone said Vader can't carry a movie? One of the most popular and enduring characters of all time? Shirley...
jeffk
AG
They should make a Star Wars RED with a Jedi twist. Obi is trying to enjoy retirement and these danged bounty hunters won't let him be!
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I don't think they will and not because of the prequels but because the cartoon has covered so much of that already.

I would love an obi wan film starring Ewan McGregor post rots
I'd just be interested in what Obi-Wan did on a daily basis after getting to Tatooine. Yoda was 880 years old by the time he hit Dagobah, Obi-Wan was still in his prime. Kinda hard to go from fighting a thousand droids and hour on 50 different planets to trying to decide what color moisture vaporator matches your drapes.

I guarantee you this basic premise will be one of the anthology films.

A slice of life comedy? Dude where's my moisture vaporizer?
YouBet
AG
So, rogue one would be about how the Death Star plans got to Leia in A New Hope?

At 41 years of age, I just found another level of hard on.

jeffk
AG
RIP Bothans.
redline248
AG
quote:
RIP Bothans.

Right. They can't change that, can they?
jeffk
AG
Yeah, they'd be better off not even naming any Bothan characters. Just have them wear red shirts and refer to them as "Sport" and "Slugger" the whole time.
codenameduchess
AG
We may finally get to see Bothans onscreen!!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just read the DP did Zero Dark Thirty.
jabberwalkie09
AG
More Rebels stuff.

HIghlights:
  • 22 episodes
  • premier (two episode movie) will likely happen this summer with the rest of the season to show in the fall
  • more back story for Zeb and Sabine
  • one planet we are going to is Mon Calamari
  • no air date for season two just yet

Based on what I read, there were some small clips shown as well.
KeithDB
AG
quote:
I couldn't make out the details watching that on my phone, but did that teaser just show the death star in orbit over a jungle planet?

You know, something with that comparative mass to a planet, so close to a planet, would have a profound effect on the ecology of the planet due to its gravitational forces alone. Probably would also substantially effect the planets orbit around its star.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
RIP Bothans.

IIRC Bothans stole the plans for the Death Star II in ROTJ. This is set before ANH and there was a legends story dealing with the theft of the plans, but I'm admittedly not that familiar with it. I wonder how much of the story they will keep though....
YouBet
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
RIP Bothans.

IIRC Bothans stole the plans for the Death Star II in ROTJ. This is set before ANH and there was a legends story dealing with the theft of the plans, but I'm admittedly not that familiar with it. I wonder how much of the story they will keep though....
The stealing of the plans is directly mentioned in ANH which I assumed this story is about, thus my comment above. Admittedly not familiar with any EU stories other than a few of the very early stuff written in the 70s and early 80s but it seems logical this is about the back story to get plans to Leia.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd really love a high res image of that shot of the Death Star in orbit behind the jungle.

Sometimes I have to sit back and think about what a great time it is to be a Star Wars fan.
TexAgBolter
AG
USA Today has a slightly better quality YouTube embedded version of the trailer.

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2015/04/19/what-we-now-know-about-the-new-star-wars-movie-universe/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh and apparently, the new trailer had 88M views in the first 24 hours. Probably taking into account Youtube and Facebook.

Knife_Party
No doubt. Most of the things in sci fi movies are either physically impossible or would have effects not shown in the movie. You really wouldn't even need a superlaser to destroy a planet. Just move giant metal moon into orbit and watch earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes destroy it's civilization. Not to mention effects on weather, orbit, and rotation.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
RIP Bothans.

The stealing of the plans is directly mentioned in ANH which I assumed this story is about, thus my comment above. Admittedly not familiar with any EU stories other than a few of the very early stuff written in the 70s and early 80s but it seems logical this is about the back story to get plans to Leia.

Jabberwalkie is correct, I was getting the theft of Death Star plans mixed up. We don't know who/what/how the plans for original Death Star were transmitted to Leia, which Rogue One should tell us. No Bothans involved, likely.
jabberwalkie09
AG
That kinda gives a Starship Troopers vibe there.....
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:

You know, something with that comparative mass to a planet, so close to a planet, would have a profound effect on the ecology of the planet due to its gravitational forces alone. Probably would also substantially effect the planets orbit around its star.

Would it? I mean, according the law of universal gravitation, it's highly dependent upon the mass an distance. We have no idea how the mass compares to the planet, just that it's close.

/endphysicsteachermode
benMath08
AG
It's called Rogue One, but didn't Luke form Rogue Squadron only after the battle of Yavin?
Saxsoon
AG
Will Fanastic Four (if it doesn't make a good film) dampen your hopes for Josh Trank's version of Star Wars?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Will Fanastic Four (if it doesn't make a good film) dampen your hopes for Josh Trank's version of Star Wars?

Yeah, but it depends on what Tank's movie is ultimately about. Also, May 2018 is a LONG way from now. A lot could happen between now and then.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
It's called Rogue One, but didn't Luke form Rogue Squadron only after the battle of Yavin?

We don't know if he formed it for the first time or reformed it. He also may have formed it to honor whomever Rogue One in this movie is.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, but it depends on what Tank's movie is ultimately about. Also, May 2018 is a LONG way from now. A lot could happen between now and then.
Damn got Edwards and Trank mixed up and what movie they are directing
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, Edwards did Godzilla. Rogue One will be his follow up.
Saxsoon
AG
I have faith in Edwards because I really enjoyed Godzilla and he did a good job I think with the street level of a giant monster movie. Some things could have been better (like Aaron Tyler Johnson) but overall was good.

Trank did something fantastic with Chronicle but I haven't been sold with FF though the newest trailer got me a little more interested. I like all of the actors they have chosen, I am just concerned that the film is starting to teeter into Green Lantern territory, especially in the other dimension scenes.

I am excited to see some more of Rogue One
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Someone said Vader can't carry a movie? One of the most popular and enduring characters of all time? Shirley...
Tough to make a movie where your main character is expressionless, I think.

Just as a comparison, the introductory level of Force Unleashed has you playing as Vader, which was cool. However, it felt sort of weird to have Vader run, jump, or do anything other than slowly walk and be menacing. If Vader is the main character of a whole movie, it really limits the tone. There can be no jokes, for example. Any action sequences more energetic than the duel on Cloud City will be tough to sell. And you can't really play him as a bad guy like Porter from Payback, or Butch and Sundance, or Michael Corleone, where you have a hero that is sort of conflicted and perhaps has a redeeming moment or two. I guess Vader could show some signs of remorse or let some innocent escape destruction, but he's still out to murder Jedi. This is a guy who has mass-murdered children on TWO occasions by the time we reach the end of RotS, and who already gets his big redeeming moment at the end of the OT.

I think a Dark Times film (or films) would play out one of two ways:

1. You have a Mara Jade type story, where she is the Emperor's Hand and used for secret missions, likely specifically kept secret from Vader. But her devotion to him is heavily influenced through the Emperor's connection to the Dark Side, as are her own powers. If faced with a crisis of conscience, she risks losing her powers if she rejects her Master's will, and she's a hard core Dark Side junkie. That way you get a Jedi-hunting story where there is a character who is conflicted and has something personal at stake, and in the moment the audience will have doubt about how she will act.

If they wanted to pull from the existing canon and not introduce someone like Mara Jade, Asajj Ventress would be a good choice.

2. You go the Starkiller route, where Vader has a secret apprentice. For all the warts of Force Unleashed, the basic concept that Vader discovered a Dark Side savant and raised him secretly to eventually help him overthrow the Emperor is a very cool storyline, as is having that apprentice ultimately learn that he has been fed lies his whole life, and letting his love for a companion force him into turning against his master, even placing himself under the tutelage of a former Jedi to teach him about the Light.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that Jade or Starkiller or whoever be directly pulled into the canon. Just that TYPE of story.

Knife_Party
Can you guys believe that we're going to see another star wars movie by the end of the year??? I mean, they got ****ing Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, AND Mark Hamill to ALL AGREE TO DO ANOTHER MOVIE. IS THIS REAL ****ING LIFE????

Sorry. I just rewatched the new trailer and it hit me.
maca1028
Yea, I've probably watched it a dozen times and it's just starting to sink in for me too. The theme in the trailer is growing on me too
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
TBH, I didn't even know he was doing a Star Wars film. His planned film is three years from now. I wouldn't be surprised that if FF flops (I'm skeptical) they replace him with someone else. The only thing that I have seen of Trank's works is Chronicle, and it was alright but it did remind me a lot of Akira. I do find Chronicle to be forgettable though, which is not something I would like for a Star Wars film.
YouBet
AG
Well I just saw the F4 trailer which I didn't even realize was getting made. I don't even know what's real anymore.
First Page Last Page
Page 124 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.