Best live act you saw in BCS?

15,938 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
jbanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jbanda said:

Burden Brothers (not a lot to choose from).
So I totally forgot I posted the exact same answer in 2010!
VanZandt92
Caedmons Call. I don't recall what album was recent but i think it was 1995. It was in the coffeehouse.
Photog
Fly Army 97 said:

Live played a great show in Rudder around 99 or 00. Not the best, but it was great.

I think it was fall of 1999. It was so awesome seeing them in Rudder. My favorite band at the time!
agnatgas
AG
REK and Lovett in MSC Basement Coffeehouse in late 70s and then in Rudder in 2014 or so.

Steve Martin in 78 or so

VanZandt92
justcallmeharry said:

Moving Sidewalk (later known as ZZ Top) 1969 at A&M Consolidated HS Prom

Mance Lipscomb around that same year at a Church Coffee House near Campus.

Both were awesome in completely different ways.

holy smokes. I meant she don't like me she like my automobile.
VanZandt92
Aggie87 said:

BennyBlancoFromTheBright said:

MC Hammer with little known Aussie opener ACDC, G Rollie W circa 1985
I was there then, and don't remember this at all. I don't think AC/DC in '85 would've have opened for Hammer anyway.

No didn't happen.
aggiedata
AG
Sneaky Pete and the Neon Madmen Live at the Flying Tomato!
aggiedata
AG
filthyfifthaggie77 said:

The Eagles at G Rollie in 1974
from the 1974 Aggieland

videoag98
AG
Eric Johnson at Hurricane Harry's late 90s. It was during a time when Harry's had lost their liquor license, so it was BYOB. People bringing in their coolers of beer. My 90s cover band played at Stafford Opera Band
and Northgate Cafe around 93-94, we were really young, everyone but me was still in HS. If you heard someone playing crappy Pearl Jam and GreenDay covers, around that time, it may have been us.
YouBet
AG
agnatgas said:

REK and Lovett in MSC Basement Coffeehouse in late 70s and then in Rudder in 2014 or so.

Steve Martin in 78 or so

Jealous on Steve Martin. Damn.
Brandamne
Bush at Harry's in 2013
AmericasChoiceRoof
Unless he played Eastgate Live more than once, I was at that Eric Johnson show, too. I remember that Dru Wilson opened for him. Still have the autographed ticket stub.
America’s Choice Roofing - “We’re On It!” www.americaschoiceroofers.com
Old School Brother
i was at that toadies show and garth at reed, but my personal favorite was seven mary three at some bar in downtown bryan....forget the name.
Diggity
AG
Was it 3rd Floor Cantina? They had a lot of rocks shows.

I saw 7M3 but it was Concept I think.
Bud Fox
Saw the Romantics along with 50 others at the Tap in 96 or so

Missed Whiskeytown when they played the Stafford in 97.
agnatgas
AG
Steve Martin's warm up was Steve Goodman.

As in, "a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song" that David Allen Coe made famous. (You never even call be by my name)

Martin was hilarious.

In 1980, Bob Hope performed at G Rollie, My parents would have loved it!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The number one live act I regret missing was when WWE came here. Sumlin became a world champion that day.
australopithecus robustus
Bouffant Jellyfish-Front Porch Cafe maybe 1991
Ian Moore-Stafford
Jesus Jones-Deware
Ian Moore-Stafford
Ian Moore-Daisy Dukes
Pit Bull-Daisy Dukes
Velcro Pygmies-Daisy Dukes
Goat Man
AG
Storyville at 3rd Floor probably every time they came to town. Malford has some pipes. 1996-1997
AmericasChoiceRoof
Yep, Malford had some pipes and David Grissom was great on guitar. Great band.
America’s Choice Roofing - “We’re On It!” www.americaschoiceroofers.com
Bryan98
AG
I know this thread is old, but it's been resurrected before. Just wanted to post my eternal love for Pushmonkey. I was class of '98 and saw them all the time as a student.

One show in particular I'll mention is the one time I saw them at the 3rd Floor Cantina. They usually played at The Dixie Theatre in those days. At 3rd Floor they played with a Dallas band called Funland whose full-length, "The Funland Band", is just a fantastic collection of '90s punk-influenced alt-rock. The second guitar player went on to join the Toadies.

For my money, the Pushmonkey material after their major-label debut album just didn't have the same magic. Everything they did between Maize and that one was awesome, and sadly, many of the best songs were never formally released, and aren't available.
rednecked
AG
Tom in College Station said:

+1 for Cheap Trick at G. Rollie in 1981!
I was there at 15 year old! My very first concert!
maroon barchetta
AmericasChoiceRoof said:

Unless he played Eastgate Live more than once, I was at that Eric Johnson show, too. I remember that Dru Wilson opened for him. Still have the autographed ticket stub.

Eric Johnson played Eastgate at least twice.

I saw him in '87 in the fall or maybe early '88. I remember it was cold and I wore my trench coat and didn't have anywhere to put it inside and the club was tiny and standing room only so I just wore it and sweated my skinny ass off.

Brought my Tones album to that show and had the cover signed afterwards.

Then in May of '88 the last night of finals. EJ and the band had just finished recording Ah Via Musicom (before he went back and re-recorded and remixed everything for 18 months like he was Tom Scholz or something).

Those EJ shows were amazing. He tried to sell a Gibson 335 or 355 during the show. Weird to see him play that!

Met him and his girlfriend after the show. He could not have been nicer to visit with. His girlfriend at the time was a junior or senior at t.u. She was really nice as well. Eric would have been 33 at the time, so good for him!
rednecked
AG
maroon barchetta said:

AmericasChoiceRoof said:

Eric Johnson played Eastgate at least twice.

I saw him in '87 in the fall or maybe early '88. I remember it was cold and I wore my trench coat and didn't have anywhere to put it inside and the club was tiny and standing room only so I just wore it and sweated my skinny ass off.

Brought my Tones album to that show and had the cover signed afterwards.

Then in May of '88 the last night of finals. EJ and the band had just finished recording Ah Via Musicom (before he went back and re-recorded and remixed everything for 18 months like he was Tom Scholz or something).

Those EJ shows were amazing. He tried to sell a Gibson 335 or 355 during the show. Weird to see him play that!

Met him and his girlfriend after the show. He could not have been nicer to visit with. His girlfriend at the time was a junior or senior at t.u. She was really nice as well. Eric would have been 33 at the time, so good for him!
I was at those shows as well. I didn't even know who he was at the time. I still have my Tones and Ah Via Musicom CDs. Pull them out every once in a while for a listen.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Bob Hope.
Bryan98
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

Bob Hope.
I saw Bob Hope in G Rollie White, but I was either in elementary or middle school and didn't get any of his jokes. What a miss.
Post removed:
by user
Know Your Enemy
AG
Johnny Manziel

(Didn't read the thread so forgive me if this was already posted.)
Know Your Enemy
AG
BennyBlancoFromTheBright said:

MC Hammer with little known Aussie opener ACDC, G Rollie W circa 1985
I know this post is 12 years old but Back In Black, one of the biggest selling albums of all time, was released in 1980 so it's ludicrous to suggest that they opened for Hammer or if somehow they did at a down time in their career that they would have been "little known".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.